Telstra Gateway Max 2

Telstra Gateway Max 2

Custom Firmware FTW

Flashed this with custom Ansuel firmware via SSH and its absolutely the best. Never had a drop out. Can also run transmission for torrents and switch back to the Telstra GUI.

Currently with Aussie Broadband. I was with Telstra and it was tested as one of the fastest NBN FTTN modems out there for the price.

Pick one of these up for $70 or so secondhand and you will be impressed. Absolute bargain.

Purchased in September 2018 for $75.00.

Number of Connected Devices 12 devices
ISPAussie Broadband NBN 50 (Standard Plus)
ModemTechnicolor Tg800vac
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Works very well

I was skeptical about these modems at fist since my neighbour had so many issues with them. Turns out he was just unlucky since I've had zero issues from day one. It was pretty easy to set up. Been using it for 2 years and I'm very happy with it. Wireless works great, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but 5ghz really needs an extender, as an option since some houses tend to have issues with it.

Purchased in June 2017.

Telstra smart modem gen 2

I upgraded my old modem for this as I wanted to be able to use Telstra air when out and about. This modem comes with 2 parts to it, which is a bit of a space hogger on my desk. It works the same (not faster or slower) than my old Telstra gateway netgear. However, the whole point of this exercise was for Telstra air which has been a massive let down as there is never Telstra air WiFi available when I go out, I am only 8 Kim from Melbourne cbd and it doesn’t pick up a signal even when I’m at local shopping center that has a Telstra store. Telstra air is a good concept but in reality it doesn’t work!!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Not the Gateway but the Telstra Smart Gen 2

I had one of these with my Telstra plan but they have been comprehensively superseded by the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. The Max 2 was okay but the new model, the Telstra Smart Gen 2, is really good. Its best feature is the ability to switch to the mobile network if your home network goes out, as we all know it does on occasions. But, no worry, the mobile network then clicks in and you remain on the Internet and this works remarkably seamlessly. While I have certainly had my issues with Telstra, this is a real advance in internet connectivity as the days of being off the net are pretty well gone. The Gen 2 looks fine and connects easily to computers and printers. My internet speed also increased about 10% after installing the new modem.
Make sure you get one of these if you sign up with Telstra and the Gen 2's ability to switch to the mobile network may make it worthwhile to actually change to Telstra to avoid the annoyance of prolonged periods off the net.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Good, Basic modem if you want Plug and Play

Let's be honest here. Any modem supplied by an ISP is designed for Joe Bloggs who knows little about technology. These are not aimed at people that want to tinker. The modems are designed for plug-in and get basic internet connectivity. If you want to tinker or do advanced stuff, then you should already know not to rely on a device supplied virtually for free by an ISP.

Now that is said, this Gateway Modem, and the future generations of Telstra Smart Modems, are actually quite capable devices. They are superior to the devices supplied by other ISP's. If you want plug and play, work out of the box, then the Telstra Gateways will do the job. Basic port forwarding and even DDNS? Again, for the basics, these do the job. Easy to navigate interface? Not what these are designed for. They are not designed for people who want to play in the interface, swap cables around a lot or anything like that.

So basically, if you want an all in one solution with ISP (Telstra in this case) support, go for this solution. IF you want to tinker, do advanced networking or push to the bleeding edge of your connections abilities, then buy your own router and put the Telstra one in the cupboard.

It comes down to what you want to do with your internet connection. ISP supplied equipment of any kind is always going to be more basic than what the advanced tinkerers want. For Mum and dad, connecting a PC and a couple of phones to the internet, the Telstra gateway is perfect.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Its OK

it's very slow, compared to NBN. We have unlimited and pay more than what we did before. Everyone told me that telstra is good and expensive, but its absolutely terrible
Took a few weeks to set up, it was very hard and had to call the company up several times a week/day.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great product

I bought this modem from Telstra with my home internet service, all in all a great modem! I live in a spot that has bad service and the dropouts can be quite frequent but by changing to this modem they became almost non-existent which is great! The connection is good throughout a 3 storey house. It looks good and doesn’t take up too much room which is also a great plus!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Very hard to setup

I had major issues setting this up at home. First off the user names given to us by telsta was wrong and the VoIP didn't work too. Had it for two weeks and they needed to send another because it was running extramly slow and still dose and is about the same as dial up so not happy about the move to nbn with this modem

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Router that works

We have this router at home and there is no issues. I install a lot of CCTV and alarm systems and have them connected to these routers and they work fantastic. The wifi part of these works great too. The 5G can be a bit ordinary at times tho .

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Unreliable, not user friendly

UNRELIABLE - Recurrent SIGNAL DROP OUTS. Poor coverage in a 3-bedroom house. Close a bedroom door & signal drops or is cut out completely. Paid a premium but because of unreliability and poor Wifi coverage, TELSTRA themselves advised to spend extra money to get the Nighthawk Portable internet. (To make matters worse, Telstra tech who came to install was so incompetent, the only thing he managed to connect correctly was the printer.) We spent the next 6 - 9 months spending hours per week on the phone with Telstra’s UNHELPFUL Helpdesk.
The modem itself is POORLY DESIGNED - insufficient ports that are not easily accessed unless you have young nimble and small fingers. The modem itself is big & bulky but does not stand well and there’s no option for mounting e.g. under a desk.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

User Friendly

This Gateway was a replacement for a faulty modem I purchased a couple of years earlier which had a dud port and issues from the beginning, but as I was FIFO each time I was home and remember to call I'd wait on hold then line would be tested whilst on phone and offered tech visits never lined up with someone being at home. So after that saga this modem appears to be a good one. No recognisable modem issues I can tell, have had a couple of internet dropouts but I'm thinking (hoping) that's the lines and not the modem.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Seems Reliable

Was sent this as a replacement for Telstra's earlier modem which failed.
Seems to be reliable and the indicator lights are easy to see. You can tell at a glance if you are having NBN issues.
I have FTTP and get good speed out of it, excellent for Netflix and Stan and good general internet download and upload speed.
Not the best range and walls tend to kill WiFi connections.
I have two Netgear range extenders and connecting them to the modem is a nightmare. The only method that worked for me was to connect each range extender to a laptop via CAT5 and configure them manually.
Once set up though, all is reliable.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

The most expensive and worst modem ever

I have owned literally dozens of modems over the years and this is the most expensive I've purchased. It's also, by a very long shot, the worst.

Telstra scammed me into buying this piece of junk after a technician told me (falsely, as it turns out) that my previous one had died. A test at my office later revealed this was not true.

Day 1, the new modem burned at ridiculous speeds and I was a happy camper. This lasted precisely one day, after it returned to well below 10mps (ADSL2).

A year and abit down the track it constantly drops out (a reboot a day is required) and the WiFi signal barely reaches the 10 metres from my study to my kitchen.

This modem is so bad I've had to increase the data on my phone (not Telstra, thank God) so it can fill in the many, many, MANY gaps left by the rubbish sold to me by Telstra.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

It work's

Nice product,we are now with the NBN Telstra,the modem is a great product,we have not had a single problem with it,Easy to set up,the speed is really good,we watch a lot of netflix and stream heap's of movies,we never watch the add tv anymore to many adds,but i can recommend this product to anyone,plug in and enjoy.

Works Great

The Internet speed is always great and it never disconnects or requires us to restart it. We have multiple devices hooked up to it and working at once and it never slows the speed down. We keep it downstairs and it reaches throughout the house and on multiple floors just fine. Only positive experiences with this device.

Good with NBN

When we moved we were able to switch to the NBN with Telstra. We stream video and have multiple devices using the Gateway Max 2 and it has performed really well. The only problem we've had with it is that it only has two ethernet ports, other than that it's good.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Works well. Reliable performance.

We received this as a replacement for our old Testra Gateway router, which stopped working while it was within the 2 years warranty period. We have been using it for 4 months by now. It works well, very reliable performance. No issues at all. So far we are very happy with it.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

NBN Modem Great Speeds

I receive 20mbs+ speeds on the Telstra network with my Gateway Max 2. I've only had positive experiences with it since I received it when I went from ADSL2 to NBN FTTN internet and the speeds are great, the reliability is there and there is no problems with it. The installation was smooth and I'm still a happy user.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

It's OK but not great

The 2.4G wireless has a reasonable range but speed is abysmal. The 5G wireless has great speed but is unavailable to anything not in the same room as the modem.
Easy to set up and has 4 ports for thernet connection
Should be provided with an extender for the 5G

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Speed great, features great

The modem/router combo works well, no crashes, speed to connect is fast, the only issue I have is Telstra refusing to give me the SIP details for the VOIP so I can use my asus router to manage my network and then use this as the modem. But this isn't a fault of the modem. The modem works well, i'd recommend it to any non tech savvy person.