Telstra Gateways Frontier

Telstra Gateways Frontier Questions & Answers

10 questions from our users

Vicki Jones

Vicki Jonesasked

What year was this specific model released

Matthew B.

Matthew B.asked

I'm buying a lot of smart objects for My house and want to upgrade from this box. The only problem is I don't know what this box is. Is it a router, a modem or both

Can anyone tell me when I'm upgrading do I just need to buy a router or do I need a modem/router in one?

Hawka
Hawka

No this is just a router, you connect it to your modem. If your on NBN your modem is that little black nbn box that they supply you with/or if your still on cable, you would have seperate cable modem.

Eva

Evaasked

were the WPS button on router is

Kathryn O.

Kathryn O.asked

where is the WPS button on this dwvice

shan
shan

Just above the power button from memory.

Judith Hudsonasked

Why is the signal light on the top of the Gateway Frontier modem always orange? Should this be green?

Sewsoau
Sewsoau

Hi Judith, I might be wrong but if you are connected and the modem is working it might be to indicate that it is connected to the telstra towers and not the nbn. The modem has that feature as a backup if the nbn is not connected

Judith Hudson

Telstra has told us that we are connected to the nbn now so maybe I should contact them direct.

Shan
Shan

Turn it off and back on. Worked for me

Lyn S

Lyn Sasked

Can we refuse (or not switch over) to 5G, or will it be automatic? In my settings I cannot turn off 'connect automatically' on the 5G link.

Ian and Ann Dickson

Ian and Ann Dicksonasked

Having received my Telstra smart modem gen 2, can I connect it up today even tho NBN won't be available until March 2019, and start using it having removed my old Bigpond modem Netgear router?

Greg F

Greg Fasked

I have had my second modem fail no Wi-Fi. Each unit lasted approximately 2months before the failure. Each failure the same. Wi-Fi only stops working. Anybody experienced the same issue? Telstra not prepared to replace second modem.

Brisdaz

Brisdazasked

Does Telstra Frontier modem work with another micro SIM, specifically a Telstra MVNO such as Aldi or Belong mobile?

AFK
AFK

Hello,

As far as I know it has an inbuilt sim card and not user changeable and is only there to provide back up if the main broadband is down - if the broadband is down the online light on the modem turns magenta - if the online light is green you are on your broadband plan - not sure why anyone would want to change the sim card - its only there for backup on a greatly reduced speed (down to about 4mbps) - Apparently Telstra will notify if the modem switches to backup.

Aquatic81

Aquatic81asked

If internet drops out, does 4g take over with no interruption to service?

Leanne H
Leanne H

I'm sure there is a minor break as it switches over, but we are talking under a minute, and you probably would not notice it at all if you were just browsing net.
The important thing is that you don't need to do anything to the modem for this to happen, it is automatic. You'll also get an SMS or other notification if it happens.

Greg N.