Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Questions & Answers

27 questions from our users

Rod

Rodasked

Modum will not connect to desktop

John

Johnasked

Will my land line still work if the internet is down ?

Tony D.

Tony D.asked

Can I change wifi from 5ghz to 2.4ghz to sync smart globe?

Oz Traveller
Oz Traveller

Get into the modem settings and turn on Guest WiFi

Joe F.

Joe F.asked

who make Telstra smart modem? Is it made in China?

DNguyen
DNguyen

Yes, it is made in China.

Pam S.

Pam S.asked

Hi
I’m having so much trouble with my gen 2 smart modem
I’m trying to connect to adsl
It shows the wifi logo on my phone and tv but it won’t pick up wifi
It’s stuck on blue light and won’t go to green even though I’ve rest the modem twice

It’s saying I’m connect to wifi but not internet

I’m been on the Telstra support line for 2 weeks getting generated answers and going in circles
I’m also being charged for internet connection I can’t access

Very frustrated

Jim b

Jim basked

What is a wps device

Dave S.

Dave S.asked

Dose anyone else have trouble with their android phone with this modem??? Tablets, desk top and I Phone appear ok.
Only get Android signal if I'm in the same room.
Spent hours talking to Telstra Tech and they can't explain it. Have tried similar modem for a similar result.

Steve
Steve

Hi Dave,
I have since dumped my Telstra Smart Modem as it simply it's smart at all. I purchased a Netgear Knighthawk XR 300 due to ongoing problems with the Telstra modem. During my time with this product it refused to switch to 4G and gave 5Mbs speeds. I had connectivity problems all the time, best advice would be to buy a different modem.

Barb S.

Barb S.asked

Would anyone know if the Telstra Smart Modem 2 is compatible with a TP-Link AC1900 wifi adapter please?

Andrew vogler

Andrew voglerasked

My samsung s8 will connect to the modem but then says internet may not be available, and doesnt load anything or work, called telstra and they confirmed its not the modem, laptop and xbox are fine, just the phones in the house. Whats the problem?

Handyman Dad
Handyman Dad

Have you tried updating your OS on your phone?

Donovanasked

Do they come in black exterior colour?

No only white

Thank you.

Yvonne H.asked

Our Telstra smart modem gen 2. Had a malfunction 8 days ago. No orange light anymore, no wifi in the house, anything connected by wifi out, including smart tv.
Now l have been on the phone to Telstra 3 times in 4 days, each time approx for 2 hours. No help, they keep telling me there is no problem from their end, we even reset the modem on their instructions.
I’m totally frustrated, can’t get a technician out, can’t talk to anyone, I’m paying $90 month, it’s terrible, nobody wants to listen, isn’t there someone in Australia who can send a technician out. Don’t know what to do next

Sorry to hear that try to disconnect the modem from the power supply for half an hours any try again

All light has to be green

Yvonne H.

The ‘Mobile Signal’. Light has always been orange since it was installed now no light at all and no Wifi

Linda arbolino

Linda arbolinoasked

Can use use smart modem Gen 2 with adsl we are not on nbn

Treads

Yes you can it has an adsl/vdsl port that you can plug a regular phone lead into. Just be sure to setup with your Bigpond login details to authenticate. I am pretty sure this is the only modem that they sell now for all connections anyway.

Rally
Rally

Do you need to have bigpond login?

Hawka
Hawka

No, you can use this modem with other ISP

alan farrasked

has the gen2 modem have 4k streaming

alan farrasked

has it got 4k streaming

Nathan
Nathan

Sure does. If it can turn on and stay on!!!! Lol

alan farr

what do you mean stay on has it got problems

DHATHRTJHSA

DHATHRTJHSAasked

hi how do I no what frequency band the gen 2 is running at as I have a few items that wont connect to wi-fi and wont connect to 5 ghz ??????????

Mary
Mary

Sorry I am unable to answer your technical question.

Kharis
Kharis

I Googled and found this information https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Wifi/td-p/820758

Otherwise contact Telstra Support and they should be able to help

KKW

KKWasked

Where to plug in my landline phone cable into the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2?

Cinzia G.

Cinzia G.asked

Bad bad bad experiences with this modem. In the space of 8 months Ive had four replacements. Now my 2.4GHz is no longer showing; only equipment on 5GHz work despite all working yesterday. Guess what? Telstra tells me theres a problem with the modem; or so they think. Sending me another one!! Has anyone else had 2.4 drop out?

CalmBird99asked

Hello, i would like to know if anybody has much experience with disabling the 5GHz option of this router? Specifically in order to connect "smart" lighting products that will only work with 2.4GHz wifi. I understand this router has band steering which will combine both 2.4 and 5GHz, how can this be disabled? Has anybody successfully done this and then been able to connect smart products? Please let me know your exact process if possible!

Treads

Login into the modem by going to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser, In the top corner enter Admin as the User, and the password by default is Telstra. Then click the wifi tab, Look under the network name and uncheck the box for band steering. Now your modem will broadcast 2 separate networks one will have 5G in the name, and the other wont.

CalmBird99

Thanks for the reply Treads!

Greg O.

Greg O.asked

What is network security key

Nick

Nickasked

How do I set up the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 for expressVPN VPN ?