Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Questions & Answers

12 questions from our users

KKW

KKWasked

Where to plug in my landline phone cable into the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2?

Cinzia G.

Cinzia G.asked

Bad bad bad experiences with this modem. In the space of 8 months Ive had four replacements. Now my 2.4GHz is no longer showing; only equipment on 5GHz work despite all working yesterday. Guess what? Telstra tells me theres a problem with the modem; or so they think. Sending me another one!! Has anyone else had 2.4 drop out?

CalmBird99asked

Hello, i would like to know if anybody has much experience with disabling the 5GHz option of this router? Specifically in order to connect "smart" lighting products that will only work with 2.4GHz wifi. I understand this router has band steering which will combine both 2.4 and 5GHz, how can this be disabled? Has anybody successfully done this and then been able to connect smart products? Please let me know your exact process if possible!

Treads
Treads

Login into the modem by going to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser, In the top corner enter Admin as the User, and the password by default is Telstra. Then click the wifi tab, Look under the network name and uncheck the box for band steering. Now your modem will broadcast 2 separate networks one will have 5G in the name, and the other wont.

CalmBird99

Thanks for the reply Treads!

Greg O.

Greg O.asked

What is network security key

Nick

Nickasked

How do I set up the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 for expressVPN VPN ?

Barry J.asked

When will the bugs be out of the Telstra NBN telephone exchange?

Brian Howard

Hi Barry, I'm not sure what you mean by "Telstra NBN telephone exchange". I'm guessing you're simply asking when the NBN network will settle down and be reliable generally. Well, I've been a Telstra customer for well over 20 years and have certainly had my ups and downs with them. I am definitely NOT blindly loyal to them and each time I re-sign with them I make sure it is the best deal I can find based on price, features, convenience AND what I feel is going to be reliable. Now, to your point: Just 2 months ago I swapped my Telstra cable service over to Telstra NBN. I spent the previous 8 months researching the 'best' NBN ISP to join - price, reliability, reputation, service - very difficult comparing apples to apples but I think I did a pretty good job of it. It took that much time as I wanted to do it thoroughly. I favoured Aussie Broadband, TPG, Exetel and Internode from a list of many dozens. At each step of the comparisons I compared each to Telstra, point for point as best I could. These were the ones I was seriously considering as my shortlist for the final 3 months of my research.
My needs were these: 1) Top speed tier, min 'peak-hour' speed (7pm-11pm) 80 down, 30 up. 2) price under $100/mth 3) a landline capability offered through the NBN modem 4) service key performance indicators to assess reliability/up time. There were a few other minor things but these 3 were the most important.
Very, very long story short, Telstra NBN came out on top. It fulfilled the 4 key points above along with Exetel. I chose Telstra over Exetel due to price AND a far superior Modem (Telstra SmartModem Gen2) and the price of only $90/mth(!). No other company ticked all the boxes I needed ticked. Briefly, I have had 'peak-hour' speeds of aprox 80-85Mbps download with only 2 tests showing 75Mbps down, Max download at othertimes has been 94Mbps. Upload varies in 'peak-hours' between 27 and 30Mbps with max of 35Mbps. I have NOT had any reliability issues and have had 100% up time happily! I am in the Hills area of Sydney, about 22 kms from the city. I have the HFC NBN connection type.
From my fairly extensive research I came across the fact, again and again, from a number of good sources that the current Telstra SmartModem Gen2 (made by a company called 'Technicolor') is one of the very best, if not THE best NBN modem available in Australia right now. It seems very stable and reliable so far and has a 4G back-up SIM card installed (as standard!) for anytime the NBN happens to go down so you can stay on the net without interruption until full service is restored. Speed on the 4G back-up is limited to 12Mbps down and 1 or 2 Mbps upload but it is good enough for web browsing and email. Vodafone has a similar thing but no landline option through the modem. Again, Telstra ticked all my boxes, including boxes I didn't know I had! :-)
An important thing to remember Barry is that Telstra or any of the other ISPs are only the retailers, the middle men, the sellers of access to the NBN. If the NBN has reliability issues or you need a serviceman then it is the 'NBN Company' that comes out to fix it - not Telstra (like the old days) or other ISP. Sure, you call Telstra and tell them you have a problem but they then simply get the NBN people to come out and fix the NBN connection for you. Telstra and the NBN Company are entirely separate entities and Telstra no longer has an "exchange" (like the old days) as you mention in your question. No longer do we have to worry about Telstra or any other ISP being efficient in getting the issue fixed as it is the responsibility of the NBN to physically fix any issue reported to them by your ISP.
Hope this all helps Barry. If there are any NBN 'bugs' in the system they haven't made themselves known to me yet so here's hoping it stays that way! Cheers, Brian.

NOTE: I'm not a Telstra employee, simply a Telstra customer who likes reliable tech, just like you!

Barry J.

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.
With ADSL my phone was connected to the local AXE RSS.
The NBN home phone works well for calls but sometimes
there is no CND. 101 fails to work sometimes.
There is no special dial tone to indicate call forwarding.
Telstra Feature Assistant is not working.
Where is the Telstra NBN VOIP exchange?

Brian Howard

Hi Barry, I'm really sorry but I don't know the answer to most of those questions. Re the 101 service I haven't used it since connecting to the NBN so I don't know. I used it when I had my copper wire landline and it was reliable - always there. I have noticed an odd thing with my CID, every call shows the number fine but everytime above the number it says "out Of Area" regardless if it is a local number or interstate! I'd love someone to comment here explaining what that's all about! Lastly, I've no idea re the Telstra VOIP exchange, sorry.

Arr_Cee

Arr_Ceeasked

Why does my unlimited FTTN connection and plan switch to it's mobile back up system without warning?
I then attempted to find the cause of such consternation among the tech savvy (younger) members of the household. Yep, you guessed it. There are no outages at the moment. This information coming after being informed that "The internet has been disrupted, please try again later", on no fewer than 8 occasions.
In the words of the much maligned Ranga and former fish and chip shop owner, "Please explain".

Talk to your ISP.

Brian Howard

Arr_Cee, if it happens again check your speed on speedtest.net immediately. I'm not a technician but I have read where the SmatModem backup may kick in automatically if the speed goes lower than a certain point. If, for example, the speed drops to just 1 Mbps, it may be low enough to activate backup BUT not low enough to show a 'service outage' on Telstra's or the NBN's system outage reporting. I do not know what that lower 'activation' level might be. Just my thoughts based on anecdotal evidence of what I've read. If you are still getting reasonable speeds when it goes to backup SIM then there could indeed be something else at play so then I'd be calling your ISP (Telstra?). Cheers, Brian.

gan

ganasked

parental controls how to set host mac start times multiple times a day it won't let me do that

Alan J

Alan Jasked

Would this Gen 2 modem work without a landline connection? I have built a granny flat on my property and have no landline installed. This would be permanent . Does this only work for a limited time in the event of landline users losing the connection? Is Wi Fi only meant to solve a land line drop out on a temporary basis?

Barry J.

The mobile backup is not intended for continues usage.

Brian Howard

Alan, The SIM card back-up built into Smartmodem Gen 2 will indeed enable the continuation of your 'landline' during an NBN/internet outage. It acts as a backup for both internet and phoneline connected to the modem. As you say, it only operates on reduced speed when on the SIM card backup but this is adequate for internet/email and voice by phone. Further, as you mention, it is indeed only meant for temporary use until full service is restored. There is no way of manually using the SIM 4G connection. It is fully automatic and set to activate when it senses NBN cable/fibre connection is down. The 4G backup SIM will bring in the NBN signal to your modem and from there it will go through the cable to your computer AND work through your WiFi as well. Remember though it will be very slow speeds so don't expect a lot at all - just slow internet/enmail and voice. The 4G SIM simply replaces the data coming through the cable in the ground connected to your modem. Hope this helps. Cheers, Brian.

Kylieasked

How on earth do telstra get away with charging for a non service. I signed up for adsl. Was told on the phone that phone linesvwere fine - no problem at all. Productbdoes not work on adsl. Told it will work on wi fi no problem. Continuos drop outs - unbelievable!!!! How do they get away with this ? I'm calling the ombudsman and the media. This is a sham.

Barry J.

Wi-Fi does not provide internet.

Brian Howard

I'm wondering why Telstra is still selling ADSL connections when all that is being cut-off in November in favour of EVERYONE being forced onto the NBN. This boggles my mind you were able to sign up for a new ADSL service at this late stage. What has Telstra to say to you about this? Very soon ADSL will stop and you WILL have to join NBN. Call Telstra and ask them about this. Make sure you're happy with answers you get, don't let the marketing types on the phone double talk you. Insist on speaking to a supervisor if they play funny-buggers.

Kylie

Thank you Brian. Yess..I was concerned about this also when I joined up. I was told that the account would get transferred to nbn for free when we get it in the area. Fingers crossed

AThomas2498asked

Will the Telstra Roku system link by wi/fi to the Telstra smart modem to allow streaming of TV.
I thought the question was simple yes/no but apparently not given all the high tech rubbish provided as responses. I have my landline connect on one side of the room and my Roku feed on the other. In short do I need a cable link or not?

Trevor

Yeah, of course. Just need to connect via wifi

AThomas2498

Thank you Trevor at last a straight answer to a straight question !

Brian Howard

I don't know what a ROKU system is but, if it helps, our Telstra Smartmodem Gen2 speaks very well directly to our new hi-tech Samsung TV through WiFi and they are each at opposite ends of the house. We can stream 4K Netflix perfectly and have other devices attached at the same time. We've found the WiFi extraordinaryu in this modem compared with previous Telstra modems.

watsonea

watsoneaasked

I just received the Telstra smart modem generation 2 with voice backup to replace the old modem. Is this modem any good as the reviews give it a bad rating

MusicMom
MusicMom

Did not work for us. It was a complete waste. I hope it's recyclable. It literally would not allow data access in several common apps on our mobile devices. The connection time was appalling...minutes, not seconds, minutes. It really is as bad as people make it out to be. If you can, try it out, and decide for yourself.

Trevor

Na, one of the best modems on the market. I think the reviews are more based on customer experience with Telstra as a telco and not the actual modem

John B.
John B.

Bull. It continuously drops. Has no data connection. Takes ages to reconnect and there are times that is so slow with data transmission

Get an answer from our members and Telstra representatives