The Fable

Transparency is an issue

While this is a very pretty top, overall I am disappointed. I bought the top for work wear as the product description definitively states that this shirt is not transparent and a bra is not visible. This is incorrect. It is so transparent that I feel uncomfortable wearing it at work without a jacket. The sizing also runs small and the fabric is clingy. I think both the transparency and clinginess could be fixed by using a better quality silk. I expect better for the price and would not be inclined to make another purchase unless these issues are addressed. At the very least the product description stating the top is not transparent should be amended as it is misleading.

NOT true to size, although great quality and service

I am generally a 14-16 shirt in brands such as Sportscraft, David Lawrence, Veronika Maine, Trenery, Country Road, Witchery, Boden, etc.. I have silk shirts from all of these brands, as well as linen, cotton etc. The fit in the other brands is good, though in a couple, because of button placement, I have some gape issues at the bust which is easily fixed with double sided tape.

I had read so much about the quality of the Fable shirts and service, I decided to take advantage of a recent sale and purchase 3 shirts. I measured my shirts from other brands and decided to purchase 3 shirts in XL.

The shirts arrived promptly and were packaged beautifully. They came with a sample card of all of the fabric swatches, which is great as it takes the guess work out of future purchases when it comes to picking colours. The quality of the silk and workmanship is better than most of my other shirts from the above mentioned brands. I was eager to wear them! Until...

I tried a shirt on and it fit generously in the arms, shoulders and bust. These are areas that are hard to fit for me and I generally have to size up to fit these problem areas and tailor a shirt by adding darts to make it more fitted in the body and hips if it looks too big in the trunk, and it is why I decided to size up to the XL in this shirt. Unfortunately when it came to doing up the last button at the bottom of the shirt I knew I had to send t back - it was too tight. My hips measure the same as my bust, so I was really shocked and disappointed the shirt didn’t fit and was too tight in this area - especially given the fit in other brand shirts I own.

I decided to compare measurements of the Fable shirt with the Boden shirts I own (Boden run small compared to Australian brands). I measured both shirts laid flat on a table and compared the measurements between shirts, and the measurements on the website. I realised the shirt measurements on the website are done with the shirts held taught - which means they can get an extra few CM of measurement out of the shirt. The thing is, most people don’t wear their shirts this way or measure them this way. If I don’t stretch my current shirts and hold them tight when I measure them, they’re the same size, give or take a cm.

I am considering sizing up to XXL - which is 1-2 sizes bigger than my regular size in other brands. I don’t believe these shirts are true to size as the brand keeps insisting. When other people have raised the issue of sizing they say it is the standard size in Australia, but judging by the brands mentioned above - which are all Australian, except for Boden - the sizing at the Fable is NOT consistent with the sizing of brands people are more familiar with and would use as a yardstick for sizing.

Unfortunately for me, I don’t think the XXL will fit and I’ll most likely end up getting a full refund. It is such a shame more sizing and styles aren’t offered, but I understand that in order to keep the business successful they would only sell what they know they can shift and not introduce too much into their product line (I’d do the same thing - introducing other styles and sizes is what has ruined a lot of other boutique Australian brands, and they may only be able to get a shirt made in runs of 10,000 or so, and it may not be economically viable to get larger shirts made). Still SO frustrating though! I wanted to love these shirts and if they fit I’d be buying 2 in every colour.

3 for the button up. 4 for the T-Shirt

I find the cut is not very generous around the hip. I had to go up a size but now it’s too generous in the shoulders. I wouldn’t even consider myself very hippy. I actually got my normal size in the T-shirt and it’s a much better fit. The packaging and delivery is excellent, even returns where fast. I would only recommend the TShirt and will probably purchase another as they are perfect for office wear.

Thank you for taking the time to share this review, your feedback is very useful and valued. We are always looking to make improvements to our product and have noted your comments regarding the hip sizing for consideration in future production. We're pleased to hear you're enjoying our new t-shirts and find them well suited to office wear.

Very disappointed.

I was so excited to find these shirts online, and eagerly awaited the arrival of my "speckled egg" shirt. While it arrived very quickly and beautifully packaged, it was way too small compared to standard Australian clothing sizes, and was NOT the design I ordered. The quality was beautiful. Other reviews have mentioned to order "up" a size and I would absolutely agree. The company needs to amend its sizing to reflect the many customer reviewers who have written about the same issue.

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. Your feedback will be useful to others. Our shirt sizing is reflective of Australian standard sizing. We do advise sizing up if a customer is in between sizes or prefers a more relaxed fit. In regards to you receiving the incorrect design, we do apologise about this. Our dispatch process is subject to occasional human error however we always make sure any mistakes are rectified and a solution is found for the customer.

Disappointing

I have to say, I was disappointed with these shirts. Having had them on my Wishlist for months, I finally took the plunge and bought two. Despite reading the measurements and checking them against other shirts I own and then ordering up a size to give a looser fit, I was extremely disappointed to find that when the shirts arrived they were too small. I would have thought that following the size guide, combined with ordering up a size would have guaranteed a good fit. Quality seemed different to the good quality silk pillowcases I own too????

Hi Emma, Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is very helpful and appreciated. In regards to sizing, most of our customers find our shirts to be true to size as we claim. A size 10 or AU Small in most cases equates to a Size Small in our shirts. We do have an easy returns policy and will happily exchange or refund your shirts should you wish to. As for the difference you have noted between your silk pillow cases, our shirts are made from a crepe de chine silk (16mm). Rarely are silk pillow cases made out of this fabric, most are made from a satin silk which has a very different finish and hand feel. Please feel free to reach out should you have any issues. We will gladly assist. Jessica Sinclair

Excellent service but please don't cut on quality

Received my shirt this week, which arrived super fast, thank you! The shirt fits well but the quality of silk is not the same as it used to be. I own a couple of shirts from older collections, which were made in India, and their quality is exceptional! The new one, which was made in China according to the label, is much thinner and creases easily. I washed it together with my old one and the old one came out silky smooth, almost dry and no creases. The new one felt stiff after washing and was badly creased. Please do not compromise on quality!

Hello Elena, thank you for writing this review. We are pleased to hear the shirt is a good fit and you are happy with the service. You are correct in noting that there is a difference in the silk from our latest collection. The shirts from our latest range are made from a crepe de chine rather than Indian crepe. Crepe de chine has a finer weave and is made by a more intricate fabrication process. As a result, the hand feel and fall of the silk is slightly different. The decision to move production to Shanghai was made with quality in mind. The shirts are now made in a factory which is specialises in making silk clothing, by a small team of ethically paid and highly skilled silk tailors. In regards your feedback regarding washing, we recommend you hand-wash our shirts, using a silk / wool detergent then hang them of a hanger to dry and store. This will result in a shirt with minimal creases. At The Fable, we stand by our product quality and happy and satisfied customers are a priority. If you would like to make a return, we will happily facilitate this.

The Indian silk original is much better than Chinese silk

I have about 5-6 shirts and 4 T-shirt’s.
I love to orignal silk shirts (made in India), the cut, size was perfect for me and they did not crease. I have more recently purchased the new Chinese silk shirts. I find the fabric does not feel a good, it is thinner and more see through and creases a lot. The major issue and why I am writing this review is the Chinese silk seems to shrink- resulting in puckering among the front and seams. I have persevered, but I’m not happy.

Be careful these clothes are very small

I have nothing over size 14 in my wardrobe and many items are smaller. I read the sizing carefully and ordered XL and am so glad I did. The shirt & top do fit me, but they wouldn't need to be a fraction smaller.
The quality is good. Regarding the packaging, it is lovely, however I would have expected the items to be ironed, they were very creased. i have just spent a long time ironing them. I haven't worn them yet, but they now look lovely.

Hi Heather, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We're so pleased to hear you've enjoyed our product quality and packaging. We've noted your feedback regarding the creases. We do steam all orders prior to sending however as items travel folded in a box they will arrive with unavoidable fold lines. If you leave them to hang in your wardrobe they will naturally fall out :)

Size comfort excellent but shirt is see through bra is visible

Galaxy shirt.
Lovely fit and feel.
However description clearly states it is not transparent and bra wont show. This is inaccurate.

Hi Tania, thank you for sharing this review. We're pleased to hear you're enjoying the fit and feel of our shirts. We have updated our web site as a result of your feedback regarding the transparency of our Galaxy shirt. Just a reminder we have easy returns and exchanges if need be :)Thanks for acting on the feedback. Also thanks for offering full refund of purchase price and postage.

Armhole frustration!

I have two Fable shirts - one pre August and one from recent new stock Fable 2.0. Quality and sizing is great and fabric irons well but it is impossible to get a good ironed finish on the armholes due I think to French seam finish - the seam just doesn't want to sit flat and is quite puckered. The Fable 2.0 shirt was even harder to iron than previous. Can the French seam be reconsidered?

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. Your feedback is very valued and we have noted your comments regarding the french seams. The reason we have chosen them is because they offer the most tidy and premium stitching solution, and the one that is the most durable as well. Our customers opinions on our product are the most important and we will take your comments into consideration for future production runs.

Beautiful Silk Shirt

I ordered my shirt through The Iconic. I knew nothing of The Fable. The white shirt arrived promptly and was beautifully and thoughtfully packaged. The shirt was very well folded in a case wrapped with silk paper. It is important to me because it shows, the company cares about what they sell and what their customers think. They do not treat their clothes as disposable objects.
The shirt is beautifully made. I was a little disappointed by the silk at first but, I know there are lots of different kind of silk. I tried the shirt on and it fits perfectly. It looks gorgeous. The silk is soft and very comfortable to wear. I washed it and I will iron it as I liked how the shirt looked like when I first got it. I think that if you take care of those shirts they can last a long way. It is not a Fast Clothing Item and I like that it is ethical. As French say, it is a classic piece that never stays out of fashion.
Now, I have been looking at The Fable website and I will most definitely order other items. I am a size 12, I usually fit perfectly in M and 12 but, I ordered a L as I have strong shoulders and sometimes shirts would require a larger size. As per the bust I am between a 12D or F depending of the bra. I am 164 tall. The L fits me extremely well all over. It looks like it has been tailored for me.

Thank you very much for your feedback, we're really pleased to hear this. Thank you for your comments regarding sizing and washing, this will be useful to others. :)Since my first purchased I have ordered two more shirts. One in pink and one in Royal blue. I do not usually wear pink but, I thought it would be a nice change. My skin has yellow undertones and I have dark brown hair with red. The pink suits me nicely. The royal blue shirt is for my sister who is very fair with blue undertones, blond with blue eyes. Royal blue is my favourite colour and I will get this shirt for myself as well. The silk is slightly different from the previous one I ordered but still beautiful, light and soft. I ordered L for both my sister and I and it fits us perfectly. I am usually an Australian M-12. But, I believe the company follows more if a French sizing. in France I wear L as well. The shirts as vety well tailored. Thank you The Fable!.

Perfect wardrobe key pieces

The shirts are excellent ,made of good silk and the style is beautiful.They wash and wear very well.Delivery is prompt and the packaging beautiful.
What I particularly like about the style is that the sleeves fit beautifully due to the slim fit. The dual buttonholes on the cuff are also insightful.
I now have three shirts ,all neutrals.

Great to hear, thank you. We're so pleased you're enjoying your shirts. Thank you for your comments on the details, they will be useful to others :)

Love the new patterns but not perfect for the price

I already own a size S in the old/discontinued sleeveless style (still sad that you’re not making sleeveless anymore!) and I love it but I could tell if it had sleeves the shoulders wouldn’t sit right. So when the new styles came out I ordered 2 long sleeves in a size M. (For reference I am usually a size 10 in shirts but I am tall and have a 12C chest). They arrived today!! The sleeves are just right but now it’s a little baggy around the middle. I think that the new material feels more polyester-y than the previous style and the bottom button ends way too high - it’s above the waist band height of anything that’s not a full high waisted pant, so I have these long flaps of shirt at the bottom. Guess I’ll just always have to tuck them in. They are super wrinkly out of the packaging but I’m hoping it will smooth out in the wash (although your product description says crease-resistant)... Just doesn’t quite feel right for the price.

Hello Kerry, thank you very much for writing this review. Your feedback is valued and helpful. The two shirts you ordered were from our new range, The Fable 2.O Collection. The fabric is now a crepe de chine (from Shanghai) instead of Indian crepe so you will notice a difference in the hand feel and fall of the shirt. In regards to the button positioning, you will find the bottom front button sits slightly higher than shirts in our previous range. Feedback from customers was that they preferred a more relaxed fit and in order to facilitate this we moved the button up slightly so not to constrict the fit around the hips. While our shirts are crease resistant, after having been sent overnight in a box folded they will have a crease line which is unavoidable. If you would like to exchange or return your order, please keep in mind we have an easy returns policy. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all feedback from our customers.

I'm a convert

Great overall experience at The Fable. I'd been eyeing off their shirts for a while and sent my details through straight away when I saw they offered samples of the fabric/colours.
I received my shirts yesterday (ordered last Friday) and the packaging is so beautiful and delicate, I didn't think there were two shirts in the box! I tried them on straight away and I've never had such well fitting shirts. I'll definitely be getting a lot of wear out of them.
Best customer service I've experience in quite a white - thankyou Sophie!! I'm sure I'll be back soon xx

Thank you for the feedback. Great to hear you enjoyed The Fable experience! We hope you get great wear out of your two shirts.

Excellent quality elegant blouses.

I rarely buy things on-line and was more than pleasantly surprised to receive quite quickly, such an excellent quality blouse.
It pleased me to see that the factory was run on ethical lines and the workers were paid an honest wage.
I am especially pleased that these silk blouses can be washed and have ordered another two items.

The perfect shirt summer/ winter ( even wear it on a hot Brisbane day) stylish, versatile, and well

The Fable website is very easy to navigate and there is sufficient variety to created a stylish versatile wardrobe. Bought xs and is a perfect fit. Excellemt product, easily washable, quick drying, love the slim fit. Loved that it was ethically made and from a natural product. Even loved the packaging and prompt delivery.

Gorgeous, well fitting ethically made silk shirt.

This is the first time I’ve purchased from The Fable and I couldn’t be happier. The fable make silk shirts and their online shop is excellent. The postage was prompt, The fit of the shirt is excellent, the silk flows beautifully but isn’t too translucent so I can wear it to work without a slip (I chose a blue colour). It’s a very flattering shape. I measured another shirt prior to purchase to ensure it would fit well and bought a small, it’s true to size for me. I’m planning on getting every colour and pattern now!

Great shirts and even better customer service!

Received a T-shirt that was sized incorrectly. Great follow up from the customer service team. Going to send me a replacement of the correct size and even let me keep the incorrect one! This will make the two tshirts I have purchased from them, I will definately be looking to purchase a third in the near future.

Elegant

Beautiful shirt.Feels great to wear plus looks great also.Ordered a medium which is my normal size . Perfect fit.Very fast delivery.

Wonderful shirts. Beautiful quality and great customer service

I’m so glad I’ve found your fabulous shirts. They are great for work. I’ve just ordered my second one but I’m sure it’s not going to be the last!