Koala Timber Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base

Pros

• Sturdy

• Easy to assemble

• Provides good, firm support

Cons

• Mattress sometimes slips

• Easy to knock shins against base

• Ease of Assembly

Renjie T.

Renjie T.Sydney, NSW

• Best Positive Review

Brilliant (tectonic) design, but with blind spots.

Purchased in August 2020 for $680.00.

Dave M.

Dave M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

• Best Critical Review

Six months of happiness, before the creaking set in

I purchased the base about 6 months ago and everything was great. It arrived the following day right on schedule and I was really happy with the look of it. The dimensions are worth considering because of its extended footprint but having factored this in, all was great, until recently.... Unfortunately, over the last few weeks it has started to creak very considerable, and it is worsening. I’m someone prone to lengthy periods of wakefulness throughout the night so the interruptions are pretty problematic for me. On a good night it leaves me tossing and turning but on a worse night, I’ll be awake for 2-3 hours. I don’t know if it’s the design or what but I’m sorry my experience has turned really sour.

Purchased in March 2020.

Gabrielle B.Koala
Kivvin

KivvinHunter Region, NSW

Had issues with the bed base and frame

The bed base was creaky and too low. After posting my review I was contacted by the support team and from then on, everything was sorted by the young ladies at Koala who went out of their way to resolve my issues. It's a 5 star rating from me for the wonderful customer service staff at Koala.

Creaky

Upon putting the frame together it was creaking quite a lot. Rang up and was advised to rub beeswax on the joints which seemed to help abit but wasn't a full fix. Quite frustrating as the price isn't on the cheap side. Only a week in so will have to see how I go but at this rate I will be most likely returning it (UGHHHH).

Purchased in February 2021 for $900.00.

Fantastic Service

I did have some minor issues with the bed base where it creaked.
However, their support team reached out to me and promptly organised the replacement of a couple of parts. Now the bed base is fantastic and does not creak anymore.
The communication with their service team was absolutely amazing and smooth.
Can highly recommend the bed base, mattress and five stars for their amazing support team!

Purchased in December 2020.

Canh L.

Canh L.Sydney, NSW

So far so good

Purchased in January 2021 for $700.00.

Sturdy Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base was very easy to assemble / sturdy / no creaking / comfortable to lie on / allows free passage of air. Only negative I think it would be so much better in future if it was made to the size of the mattress. It means bed takes up a lot more room than if was made to the size of the actual mattress size rather than overhang both sides and at foot of the bed.

Purchased in December 2020 for $700.00.

Review collected in partnership with Koala

HD35

HD35Southwest, VIC

Bad quality and difficult returns process

We ordered the koala bed base for $1000 but were not happy with the quality of it as soon as we put it together, for $1000 we would have expected a bit more. It was already creaky and the build quality wasn't good. Contacted koala to return it, the customer service representative was vague about how we go about returning it and just said we have to arrange a courier to get it back. We felt very confused about the entire returns process and didn't feel we had any assistance from Koala.

Purchased in January 2021 for $1,000.00.

Sam South East Queensland, QLD

Creaky bed base

Bed base was great to start with! 6 months in it started creaking really bad, I put wax on it and it still creaked, I took it apart and put it back together to see if that helped but didn’t, I have emailed Koala twice regarding the issue and got no response.

I ended up going to IKEA and buying another bed base, as I didn’t want to lose another nights sleep.

Pretty disappointed :(

Purchased in March 2020 for $680.00.

Richard

Richard Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Love the bedframe

Easiest bedframe to assemble. The parts are nice size so one person can do it all.

It's super sturdy and does not creak at all.

Highly recommended due to the build and price.

Purchased in December 2020 for $850.00.

Review collected in partnership with Koala

emb-1489

emb-1489Sydney, NSW

Extremely squeaky at first but a simple trick fixed it.

Purchased in December 2020 for $810.00.

Dave M.

Dave M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Six months of happiness, before the creaking set in

Purchased in March 2020.

Gabrielle B.Koala

Ellen MSydney, NSW

Best timber bed base

No bed creak experienced, sold firm base for our own mattress, good firm support for back.
Neat clean modern design good aesthetic look
Easy to assemble, instructions given easy to understand.
Compliments Looks well in the bedroom

Purchased in October 2020 for $900.00.

Pidgie

Pidgie

Trouble on the double but finally got it together

Purchased in November 2020 for $800.00.

Helen HSydney, NSW

Creaky bed

Had this base about 12 months now and I’m just about ready to throw it out as neither of us are getting a decent sleep and it’s only getting worse. Started off a little creaky and we just thought it was the wood settling into place but now it’s beyond a joke. If I roll over the slightest the bed creaks so loudly. Not really worth the price paid. Wish we had got a traditional bed base

Purchased in October 2019 for $800.00.

Helen H

Update on review: koala promptly sent out another base and the creaking is better but it’s still creaky. Will monitor to see if it gets worse and if it does I’ll have to contact again

KoalaKoala

Great bed base and aftercare support!

Purchased in September 2019.

Solid base, solid price

Had some delays with delivery (on the courier's end) which was quickly resolved after speaking with Koala support. The base was extremely simple to assemble, is sturdy, and looks great!

Purchased in August 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for $680.00.

Aaron

AaronGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Easiest bed to assemble, beautiful bed

this was easiest assembly ever (click together) and it looks great. delivery was super quick too (4 hours!!). Bed doesn't creak at all. Only wish there were under drawers you could buy separately.

Purchased in August 2020 for $850.00.

P Kowal

P KowalCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Perfect for purpose

Just wanted an unobtrusive bed base, quality and ease of purchase and delivery were paramount. Koala fitted perfectly. Perfect height, perfect price, perfect online order and delivery system, perfect for ease of put together (and take apart when need be), perfect sizing...just perfect.
Added bonus is stylish modern finish and storage at bed head. Well done, Koala.

Purchased in August 2020 at Koala Online Store for $800.00.

Ease of Assembly

Looks great, very creaky.

We had the bed assembled about 12 months ago by the supplier and it looks great, but it creaks loudly whenever either of us stirs. Sadly sleep is worse since buying this bed.

Purchased in September 2019 for $800.00.

Best Bed Base Ever!

The best bed base ever, no creaking on my end and very easy assembly (like a big jigsaw). The most idiot proof furniture there is and super sturdy. Love it!

Purchased in May 2020 for $900.00.

Olivia T.

Olivia T.South East Queensland, QLD

Amazing bedframe!

Love my new bedframe! Very easy to assemble and very solid. No creaking and I can stand on the bed without being scared of the whole thing collapsing. Definitely recommend this product!

Purchased in August 2020 for $800.00.

May W.

May W.asked

Hi there, loved the idea of a bed base that does not require a screw and easy to set up. However, a week in and I realised I'm unable to lift the bed (+mattress) to vacuum the bottom of it, where else I can clean under any other bed frames easily without moving it around. As soon as we lift the frame it starts to come undone, are we trying to move it incorrectly? Please help as I'm not happy not being able to clean under that one section of the bed base. Thanks!

G'day May,

We're chuffed that you love the idea of the Koala Bed Base! Now let's make sure you love it as much as possible.

Our team have put their heads together and come up with some ideas : ) We want your bed to slot into your home and lifestyle, just as well as the pieces slot into place! From extendable dusters to fancy robot-vacuums, we'd love to chat more about your flooring and what options could work best for you?

Our brains have also already started ticking on future bed base design options, since you make a terrific point here!

We'd love to chat with you more and see what could work best for you, if you'd like to reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or support@koala.com. Then hopefully we can share back our hot tips for other customers too!

The Koala Dream Team

Kelly R.

Kelly R.asked

I sleep more in the middle of my queen mattress. I don’t really want the base overhang of the Queen frame due to knocking shins etc on it so thinking of getting a double base as its smaller over all and the base supports seem to be more towards the centre. My mattress measurements will easily fit the double base but wanted to know if the structural integrity of the base would be compromised particularly when sitting on the edge of the bed (which I do a lot when getting ready in the mornings due to disability).

G'Day Kelly,

We're stoked the Koala Bed base has caught your eye and love your thinking outside the box here! We've taken the product team out for coffee, to get their top expertise on this one for you.

It shouldn't be an issue, but we wanted to confirm for you that a standard queen mattress is 1cm wider than our double bed base and around 7cm longer. You could remove the headboard so the mattress can slide back... but then there’s nothing locking the frame together so it’s probably not advisable. The overhang won't be a structural issue, but it comes down to your comfort and what you like :)

The Koala Dream Team

Mary H.asked

Our bed is now three months old but despite perseverance it is still creaking at every move and causing interrupted sleep and frustration. What can we do?

Ellen M

*The bed base is set up on a thick carpeted room
*all pieces are set up as instructed.
*try resetting/rearranging the pieces supporting the 3 flat base pieces to get a tighter fit
Hope suggestions help

Mary H.

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Features:

• The Koala Timber Bed Base uses a honeycomb core to keep it lightweight and durable - it can handle up to 600kg, making it a great hangout spot for the whole family.
  • There’s a discreet storage slot behind the headboard, so you can tuck away that teddy bear you’ve told your friends you stopped sleeping with years ago.
  • The oversized platform design gives the illusion of a floating bed, so you can feel like you’re literally sleeping in a cloud.
  • The bed features cable management holes that let you keep your charging cables hidden while they’re charging within arm’s reach.
  • It’s advertised as being able to be assembled in 4 minutes by one person, making it a fuss-free affair.
  • A 5-year warranty and 120-night trial mean you can try the bed out before committing to it long-term, and gives you some peace of mind if you do end up taking the leap.
  • The Koala Timber Bed base ranges from $600 for a single to $1000 for a king sized bed.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers said the bed base was sturdy and didn’t creak.
  • They said that it was easy to assemble and to take apart (especially considering there was no need for tools), and that the instructions were easy to follow.
  • The bed provides good, firm support, according to reviewers.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers said that the mattress can sometimes slide a little depending on the type of mattress you have - although Koala also sells non-slip pads that can help with mattress slipping.
  • The edges of the base are a bit hard according to some reviewers, and you’ll likely knock your shins on them from time to time.