Koala Timber Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base Questions & Answers

61 questions from our users

Haah103asked

We currently have a queen sized Koala base with a queen mattress and want to upgrade to a king mattress. Has anyone used a king mattress on the queen base? It looks as though there may be a couple of cm’s overhang but we don’t mind the idea ... Just want to know if it will work before we buy the mattress?

G’day Haah103,

Great question, thanks so much for sharing this!

While our bases are a bit wider than the mattress, the king mattress might be a bit of a tight squeeze to fit on to a queen base! The king mattress is 183cm in width and 203cm in length, and the queen base is 167cm wide and 228cm in length. The area of the base where the mattress sits is 202cm in length, so it might just fit length ways, but will hang over on the sides and that won’t give you the perfectly comfy sleep we want you to have!

You can see more about the dimensions of the base here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-timber-bed-base and the mattress here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-mattress

We’re here to help so if you have any other questions please let us know, or give us a call on 1800 575 337 or send us an email at support@koala.com if you’d like to chat through this further :)

Haah103

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response!!
We might need to consider buying another base as well then. Thank you again

May W.
May W.asked

Hi there, loved the idea of a bed base that does not require a screw and easy to set up. However, a week in and I realised I'm unable to lift the bed (+mattress) to vacuum the bottom of it, where else I can clean under any other bed frames easily without moving it around. As soon as we lift the frame it starts to come undone, are we trying to move it incorrectly? Please help as I'm not happy not being able to clean under that one section of the bed base. Thanks!

G'day May,

We're chuffed that you love the idea of the Koala Bed Base! Now let's make sure you love it as much as possible.

Our team have put their heads together and come up with some ideas : ) We want your bed to slot into your home and lifestyle, just as well as the pieces slot into place! From extendable dusters to fancy robot-vacuums, we'd love to chat more about your flooring and what options could work best for you?

Our brains have also already started ticking on future bed base design options, since you make a terrific point here!

We'd love to chat with you more and see what could work best for you, if you'd like to reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or support@koala.com. Then hopefully we can share back our hot tips for other customers too!

Kelly R.
Kelly R.asked

I sleep more in the middle of my queen mattress. I don’t really want the base overhang of the Queen frame due to knocking shins etc on it so thinking of getting a double base as its smaller over all and the base supports seem to be more towards the centre. My mattress measurements will easily fit the double base but wanted to know if the structural integrity of the base would be compromised particularly when sitting on the edge of the bed (which I do a lot when getting ready in the mornings due to disability).

G'Day Kelly,

We're stoked the Koala Bed base has caught your eye and love your thinking outside the box here! We've taken the product team out for coffee, to get their top expertise on this one for you.

It shouldn't be an issue, but we wanted to confirm for you that a standard queen mattress is 1cm wider than our double bed base and around 7cm longer. You could remove the headboard so the mattress can slide back... but then there’s nothing locking the frame together so it’s probably not advisable. The overhang won't be a structural issue, but it comes down to your comfort and what you like :)

Helen M.
Helen M.

I have a queen size koala bed base which is good but I do find it very low to the ground. I also have the mattress which I like. Do you have any suggestions that can make the bed higher

G’day Helen,

Great question, thanks for asking! We’ve had a chat with our bed base experts here at Koala HQ to get you all the info you need.

The Koala Timber Bed Base was designed low with the perfect height in mind to make it easy to fall into bed after a long day. Your safety and comfort are the most important things to us, so we don’t have any recommendations on how to safely make it a little higher - we want to make sure you’re sleeping safely and soundly.

Our brand new Paddington Bed Base sits a little higher off the ground at 31.4cm (the timber base sits at 25.2cm), so maybe have a peek and see which one you prefer? You can peep it here: https://au.koala.com/products/paddington-bed-base

If you have any other questions or would like to chat through this further we’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or pop over an email to support@koala.com - we’re here to help, always!

Mary H.asked

Our bed is now three months old but despite perseverance it is still creaking at every move and causing interrupted sleep and frustration. What can we do?

Ellen M
Ellen M

*The bed base is set up on a thick carpeted room
*all pieces are set up as instructed.
*try resetting/rearranging the pieces supporting the 3 flat base pieces to get a tighter fit
Hope suggestions help

Jenna S.
Jenna S.asked

I have hardwood floors in our bedroom and don’t want to put a rug down underneath the bed. Does the koala bed base have a rubber grip stop on the base to prevent marking the floor? I’m worried about the scratches that will be left on the floor as we are renting. Thanks.

P Kowal
P Kowal

As a precaution we used pieces of the cardboard packaging as a buffer between bed base and floorboards, all good.

Hi Jenna,

Our team has just had a good huddle to discuss ideas on this, plus we reached out to our product development team (the absolute experts!) to see what they recommend :) Now what did we find? There are a few good tips and tricks, but we would suggest using 'felt furniture pads' which we don't stock ourselves, but they are available at places like Bunnings Warehouse, Kmart, even Coles/Woolies often have them handy. This should make sure your floors are nicely protected :)

As a side note, thanks so much for reaching out! Our brains are whirring and we are thinking into what more we could do to give customers an even better Koala solution into the future...

If you have any more questions or there is anything else we can help you out with, please don't hesitate to reach our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com.

Ebony H.asked

I am having trouble finding bedside tables that match the colour of the koala bed base, does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey Ebony,
Check out #sleepwithkoala on insta, lots of inspiration from what other customers have used, at the moment we dont have a solution you can purchase from us but keep an eye out, you never know whats in development.
Sweet Dreams,
The Dream Team

Holly
Holly

I’m struggling with This too! For months! I wish koala would make some bedside tables that match their bookshelves and bed :(

Ebony H.

I have received some hints that they might be within the next few months! I think I’ll hold off for this pending how pricy they’ll be!

Bekasked

Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to stain the bed base to a darker wood tone? I love my bed base and the support it gives but it doesn't match my bedroom furniture or aesthetic.

Meg56
Meg56

Hi Bek, The bed is made from high quality plywood and, as far as I know you could stain any colour you like. But best ask Koala. Meg.

Hi Bek,
We don't recommend re-staining the bed base as it has a veneer with a water based lacquer on it, this would need to be sanded back for any new stain to stick. It would also void the warranty on the bed.

Bek

Thank you for getting back to me! - Its such a shame it doesn't come in a darker colour or higher from the ground as this has been such a great bed for my back. Great product, can't wait to see more designs and furnishings when they come out.

Hammoasked

I recently purchased the koala mattress along with the bed base and was wondering if you had any tips on the mattress from slipping around? Are there any matching timber supports for the end of the bed to slot in to stop the movement of my mattress? Loving the whole ensemble by the way. Haven’t slept so well for years!

Amanda

I have a different mattress, an inner-sprung mattress, that weighs about 46 kg, and it doesn't slip around on the Koala bed base, perhaps because this mattress is so heavy. After about a week the mattress moves a centimeter or two in one direction or the other, but I just push it back when I change the sheets, and all good.

Hammo

Thanks for the input Amanda. My koala mattress is a King Size, I’ve only had it for over a week maybe it needs to settle into the base. I have not seen anyone else having this issue on here.

Freya B.
Freya B.

I’m having the same issue- purchased a week ago and wake up with there being a BIG space between the mattress and head board.

Tahlia R.asked

I’m looking into buying the koala mattress and bed base. The only problem that’s keeping me from buying the bed straight away is the height, it looks quite low. How have people found the height of it?

Amanda

Yes, it's lower than other beds I've had before, but that's what I like about it. With my old bed, I would often wonder how much it would hurt if I happened to fall out of bed onto the wood floor. With the Koala Bed, I'm quite close to the ground, and that's reassuring. With a thick inner sprung mattress, the height of the bed is about 10 cm higher than a regular dining chair, and that's high enough for getting up from and getting down into.

Lloyd Jordan
Lloyd Jordan

i found it too low and have put a mattress topper on to give a bit more height, still not as high as i would like but can live with it ideally should be a height that when in bed swing legs out to get up the feet should just touch the floor from a normal sitting posture currently this 6ft frame has legs bent quite a bit at the knees with feet on the ground plus the softness of the mattress was not as soft as i required for these old bones however the worry of bashing shins has only happened once since sleeping on the bed base in cple on months,

Tahlia R.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I’ve seen a few people say that it has made noise after a while? Has anyone found that?

Leitu
Leituasked

Hi, I currently have a double sized koala mattress and looking to buy the bed frame though it only comes in queen or king. Do you think I can use the double sized mattress on the queen sized frame confortably?

Amanda

It will be comfortable enough to sleep on, but when you get out of bed, or into bed, you may be more likely to bruise your shins, because the bed frame will extend too far beyond the mattress. Also, the bed just won’t look quite right in the way the covers hang or don’t hang over a double mattress on a queen base. I know this because I used our old double mattress on our queen bed base until our queen mattress arrived, and I had all the above issues. I wouldn’t advise it.

Stace
Staceasked

Is anyone using the koala mattress with an ensemble base? How do you find it?

Jessica I.
Jessica I.asked

I just try my bed base with my partner and is making sounds. I don’t like it is there any way to fix this .

Hey Jessica :)

The beds are made from Natural timber veneer, these can at times expand or contract due to extreme or sudden changes in temperature, we all retain a little extra fluids at times, to eliminate the noise you can rub a natural soap bar or some wax (Soy or beeswax candle) into the joints and this should help relive the rubbing.

If the problem persists please get back in touch and I can book an exchange of your bed base at that stage!

Sweet Dreams
Koala Dream Team

Abbey E.
Abbey E.asked

Do you have to buy the koala bed base if you are going to purchase a koala matress? I don't like the style or height of the bed base but am interested in trying a koala mattress.

Hey Abbey!
You definitely don't need to buy our bed base. Our mattresses use Australian sizing and so will work with any bed base that uses a same standard.
One thing to note, we recommend that if you're using a slat base the slats be no more than 7.5 cm apart.

Hi Abby I have a friend that uses a slat base with his Koala mattress and says it's great

Michaela D.
Michaela D.asked

I have purchased koala mattress and bed base 7 months ago. The mattress has begun to lose its shape and where my partner and I sleep there are dips in the mattress. The bed base is also very noisy on my side of the bed. We spoke a representative a few months back to make sure it was assembled correctly and everything was set up fine. I did swap the side horizontal side panels which helped for a short period but the middle panel creaked and now my side panel is creaky again. I am lighter then my partner and we are both under 70kg. Do you know what could be causing this? And is the mattress meant to be rotated to prevent impressions?

Koala S.Koala

Sounds like a warranty issue, send us an email at support@koala.com and we'll sort it out :)

Prafull P.
Prafull P.asked

I have an Eva mattress and it's unusually heavy as compared to other mattresses available in the market.
Do you recommend using Koala bed frame with Eva mattress? Can it withstand the extra mattress weight?

Koala S.Koala

Hello Prafull, thank you for reaching out
Our Koala bed frame has been design to withstand 350KG without impacting the structure of the product - all good :-)

Jayde W.asked

I love the look of this bed base and it was so easy to assemble but I am having the same issue as some others (from what I've seen from the comments). It really creaks a lot, I removed the mattress the other day to make sure everything was where is should be and locked in place, I also have put some little pads underneath as I'm on a wooden floor. Is there any advice you can offer me as I am struggling a bit with this issue.

Koala S.Koala

Good morning Jayde, we are so sorry to hear and this is not normal indeed. Would you be able to reach out to us at support@koala.com and provide us with your order number? We will do our best to assist :-)

Thank you. I will.

A W.
A W.

Hey Jade my base Is creaking too. Did you find a solution?

Chris Morgan
Chris Morganasked

The Koala base and mattress are fine however its too low and its difficult to get out.
I am 75 and need a suggestion how the base can be raised, perhaps the depth of the mattress .
Chris Morgan NORTHCOTE 0412 572935

Koala S.Koala

I'll give you a call Chris :)

Jodiasked

What are the dimensions of the boxes for the queen mattress and queen bed base?

Deefer
Deefer

As far as I know standard sizing. The details are most likely on the Koala website

Jodi

Thanks. Im asking the dimensions of the box they come delivered in. That is not on the website or I wouldnt have asked here.

G'day Jodi

Queen mattress is 36 x 36 x 160 cm
Queen bed base:
BOX1: 23 x 260 x 110 cm
BOX2: 61 x 228 x 48 cm
BOX3: 67 x 228 x 48 cm

Dave
Daveasked

Can I use a Koala mattress on a regular sprung base?

Koala S.Koala

G'day Dave, The Koala suits almost all bed frames, slatted bases, ensemble and solid frames like the Koalas bed frame.

Tai S.
Tai S.asked

Do you ship to (or have outlets in) Malaysia?

Unfortunately we only sell our bed base in Aussie :(

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Other Beds