Koala Timber Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base (page 2 of 23)

Pros

• Sturdy

• Easy to assemble

• Provides good, firm support

Cons

• Mattress sometimes slips

• Easy to knock shins against base

• Ease of Assembly

Helen HSydney, NSW

Creaky bed

Had this base about 12 months now and I’m just about ready to throw it out as neither of us are getting a decent sleep and it’s only getting worse. Started off a little creaky and we just thought it was the wood settling into place but now it’s beyond a joke. If I roll over the slightest the bed creaks so loudly. Not really worth the price paid. Wish we had got a traditional bed base

Purchased in October 2019 for $800.00.

Helen H

Update on review: koala promptly sent out another base and the creaking is better but it’s still creaky. Will monitor to see if it gets worse and if it does I’ll have to contact again

KoalaKoala

Great bed base and aftercare support!

Purchased in September 2019.

Solid base, solid price

Had some delays with delivery (on the courier's end) which was quickly resolved after speaking with Koala support. The base was extremely simple to assemble, is sturdy, and looks great!

Purchased in August 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for $680.00.

Aaron
AaronGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Easiest bed to assemble, beautiful bed

this was easiest assembly ever (click together) and it looks great. delivery was super quick too (4 hours!!). Bed doesn't creak at all. Only wish there were under drawers you could buy separately.

Purchased in August 2020 for $850.00.

P Kowal
P KowalCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Perfect for purpose

Just wanted an unobtrusive bed base, quality and ease of purchase and delivery were paramount. Koala fitted perfectly. Perfect height, perfect price, perfect online order and delivery system, perfect for ease of put together (and take apart when need be), perfect sizing...just perfect.
Added bonus is stylish modern finish and storage at bed head. Well done, Koala.

Purchased in August 2020 at Koala Online Store for $800.00.

Looks great, very creaky.

We had the bed assembled about 12 months ago by the supplier and it looks great, but it creaks loudly whenever either of us stirs. Sadly sleep is worse since buying this bed.

Purchased in September 2019 for $800.00.

Olivia T.
Olivia T.South East Queensland, QLD

Amazing bedframe!

Love my new bedframe! Very easy to assemble and very solid. No creaking and I can stand on the bed without being scared of the whole thing collapsing. Definitely recommend this product!

Purchased in August 2020 for $800.00.

Renjie T.
Renjie T.Sydney, NSW

Brilliant (tectonic) design, but with blind spots.

Purchased in August 2020 for $680.00.

Jamie
JamieGippsland, VIC

Easy to construct, no tools required

Frame arrived in 3 easily identified boxes, unpacked with all components in the box! Easy to follow instructions and took maybe 4 minutes to construct the entire frame with easy slot guides. Once bed frame was constructed, slide koala mattress on top! DONE!

Purchased in July 2020 for $650.00.

The best bed base Aever

I absolutely love my bed base! So easy to put together, so comfy, Doesn’t creak! Looks fantastic in my room and I can’t think of a room it wouldn’t look good in. Would definitely buy again and have recommended it to many friends already!

Purchased in May 2020.

My headboard doesn’t fit on the bed base

I just bought a bed base and mattress 2 weeks a ago unfortunately i cannot put the headboard in so I requested for a new one. I got the new one today and still doesn’t fit. I tried watching some videos again how to set it up.. I did exactly the same thing it’s just that whenever i put the headboard it doesn’t go in easily. I’ve got no problem with the mattress and base at all it’s fine it’s just that I already got 2 headboard both of kt doesn’t fit.

Purchased in July 2020 for $1,675.00.

Cameron I.Hunter Region, NSW

This one is for boinkers

My partner and I have had a struggle for the last few months where out bed was soft, uncomfortable and worst of all, very loud. A flimsy old frame where moving your pinky toe meant it screamed in agony. The Koala bed fixed this issue by providing a sturdy, amazing looking and very easy to put together frame that makes nary a peep when my partner and I are participating in extracurricular activities.

Only issue would be that the Koala bed we bought in a bundle with this frame is a bit slippy and slidey and we often have to move it back into place but it is a symbol of somewhat pride.

Thanks to Koala for making an amazing bed that has reinvigorated our lives.

Purchased in August 2020 for $1,657.00.

Cameron I.

We have actually already been called this morning I believe and the slip pads are on the way!

Thanks Dream Team

Melodie
Melodie

The worst customer service I have ever experienced

Koala sell themselves as being quick to deliver items. I have been waiting over a week for my bed base and according to the tracking on my item it will probably be another week. This is despite an initial promise of 3 days. I only purchased this due to the speed of delivery as I was going to use it to style my home for sale. Their communication is appalling and when you call their number it goes straight to voicemail, but you can't leave a message. I have instigated 3 separate chats on their website to no avail. AVOID!!!!

Purchased in July 2020.

Katherine
KatherineCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Love it

So fast and easy to assemble. Looks great and stylish in my room and after 10 years sleeping on a creaky bed its so quiet. Love my Koala Bed base

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Online Store for $720.00.

Brett H.
Brett H.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Rock solid

Assembly took even less than the four minute guarantee. No creaks, no wobbles. Makes our old Ikea frame feel like it was made of matchsticks.
Even the mattress feels better! We are sleeping the best we ever have.

Purchased in July 2020 for $650.00.

Haah103asked

We currently have a queen sized Koala base with a queen mattress and want to upgrade to a king mattress. Has anyone used a king mattress on the queen base? It looks as though there may be a couple of cm’s overhang but we don’t mind the idea ... Just want to know if it will work before we buy the mattress?

G’day Haah103,

Great question, thanks so much for sharing this!

While our bases are a bit wider than the mattress, the king mattress might be a bit of a tight squeeze to fit on to a queen base! The king mattress is 183cm in width and 203cm in length, and the queen base is 167cm wide and 228cm in length. The area of the base where the mattress sits is 202cm in length, so it might just fit length ways, but will hang over on the sides and that won’t give you the perfectly comfy sleep we want you to have!

You can see more about the dimensions of the base here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-timber-bed-base and the mattress here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-mattress

We’re here to help so if you have any other questions please let us know, or give us a call on 1800 575 337 or send us an email at support@koala.com if you’d like to chat through this further :)

Haah103

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response!!
We might need to consider buying another base as well then. Thank you again

May W.
May W.asked

Hi there, loved the idea of a bed base that does not require a screw and easy to set up. However, a week in and I realised I'm unable to lift the bed (+mattress) to vacuum the bottom of it, where else I can clean under any other bed frames easily without moving it around. As soon as we lift the frame it starts to come undone, are we trying to move it incorrectly? Please help as I'm not happy not being able to clean under that one section of the bed base. Thanks!

G'day May,

We're chuffed that you love the idea of the Koala Bed Base! Now let's make sure you love it as much as possible.

Our team have put their heads together and come up with some ideas : ) We want your bed to slot into your home and lifestyle, just as well as the pieces slot into place! From extendable dusters to fancy robot-vacuums, we'd love to chat more about your flooring and what options could work best for you?

Our brains have also already started ticking on future bed base design options, since you make a terrific point here!

We'd love to chat with you more and see what could work best for you, if you'd like to reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or support@koala.com. Then hopefully we can share back our hot tips for other customers too!

Kelly R.
Kelly R.asked

I sleep more in the middle of my queen mattress. I don’t really want the base overhang of the Queen frame due to knocking shins etc on it so thinking of getting a double base as its smaller over all and the base supports seem to be more towards the centre. My mattress measurements will easily fit the double base but wanted to know if the structural integrity of the base would be compromised particularly when sitting on the edge of the bed (which I do a lot when getting ready in the mornings due to disability).

G'Day Kelly,

We're stoked the Koala Bed base has caught your eye and love your thinking outside the box here! We've taken the product team out for coffee, to get their top expertise on this one for you.

It shouldn't be an issue, but we wanted to confirm for you that a standard queen mattress is 1cm wider than our double bed base and around 7cm longer. You could remove the headboard so the mattress can slide back... but then there’s nothing locking the frame together so it’s probably not advisable. The overhang won't be a structural issue, but it comes down to your comfort and what you like :)

Helen M.
Helen M.

I have a queen size koala bed base which is good but I do find it very low to the ground. I also have the mattress which I like. Do you have any suggestions that can make the bed higher

G’day Helen,

Great question, thanks for asking! We’ve had a chat with our bed base experts here at Koala HQ to get you all the info you need.

The Koala Timber Bed Base was designed low with the perfect height in mind to make it easy to fall into bed after a long day. Your safety and comfort are the most important things to us, so we don’t have any recommendations on how to safely make it a little higher - we want to make sure you’re sleeping safely and soundly.

Our brand new Paddington Bed Base sits a little higher off the ground at 31.4cm (the timber base sits at 25.2cm), so maybe have a peek and see which one you prefer? You can peep it here: https://au.koala.com/products/paddington-bed-base

If you have any other questions or would like to chat through this further we’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or pop over an email to support@koala.com - we’re here to help, always!

See all Koala Timber Bed Base questions

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Features:

• The Koala Timber Bed Base uses a honeycomb core to keep it lightweight and durable - it can handle up to 600kg, making it a great hangout spot for the whole family.
  • There’s a discreet storage slot behind the headboard, so you can tuck away that teddy bear you’ve told your friends you stopped sleeping with years ago.
  • The oversized platform design gives the illusion of a floating bed, so you can feel like you’re literally sleeping in a cloud.
  • The bed features cable management holes that let you keep your charging cables hidden while they’re charging within arm’s reach.
  • It’s advertised as being able to be assembled in 4 minutes by one person, making it a fuss-free affair.
  • A 5-year warranty and 120-night trial mean you can try the bed out before committing to it long-term, and gives you some peace of mind if you do end up taking the leap.
  • The Koala Timber Bed base ranges from $600 for a single to $1000 for a king sized bed.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers said the bed base was sturdy and didn’t creak.
  • They said that it was easy to assemble and to take apart (especially considering there was no need for tools), and that the instructions were easy to follow.
  • The bed provides good, firm support, according to reviewers.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers said that the mattress can sometimes slide a little depending on the type of mattress you have - although Koala also sells non-slip pads that can help with mattress slipping.
  • The edges of the base are a bit hard according to some reviewers, and you’ll likely knock your shins on them from time to time.