Koala Timber Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base

Pros

• Sturdy

• Easy to assemble

• Provides good, firm support

Cons

• Mattress sometimes slips

• Easy to knock shins against base

• Ease of Assembly

Creaky

Upon putting the frame together it was creaking quite a lot. Rang up and was advised to rub beeswax on the joints which seemed to help abit but wasn't a full fix. Quite frustrating as the price isn't on the cheap side. Only a week in so will have to see how I go but at this rate I will be most likely returning it (UGHHHH).

Purchased in February 2021 for $900.00.

Dave M.
Dave M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Six months of happiness, before the creaking set in

I purchased the base about 6 months ago and everything was great. It arrived the following day right on schedule and I was really happy with the look of it. The dimensions are worth considering because of its extended footprint but having factored this in, all was great, until recently.... Unfortunately, over the last few weeks it has started to creak very considerable, and it is worsening. I’m someone prone to lengthy periods of wakefulness throughout the night so the interruptions are pretty problematic for me. On a good night it leaves me tossing and turning but on a worse night, I’ll be awake for 2-3 hours. I don’t know if it’s the design or what but I’m sorry my experience has turned really sour.

Purchased in March 2020.

Gabrielle B.Koala
Other Beds

Looks great, very creaky.

We had the bed assembled about 12 months ago by the supplier and it looks great, but it creaks loudly whenever either of us stirs. Sadly sleep is worse since buying this bed.

Purchased in September 2019 for $800.00.

Beds

Find out how Koala Timber Bed Base compares to other Beds

Charles P.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Slick, Slippery and tricky?

Purchased in September 2019 for $800.00.

Tung Dang
Tung DangSydney, NSW

I like the design of this bed base but it's not good quality

I purchased a Koala bundle: mattress and bed base. The mattress is very good and I have reviewed it as 5 stars in other review. But the bed base is not good for sleeping because it makes loud squeak sound when hoping in or out the bed or rolling our bodies. So I have to return the bed base and keep the mattress. I appreciate helpful support from Koala which makes returning the bed base smoothly.

Purchased in February 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for $800.00.

jbauer
jbauerGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Overpriced

Quite frankly I was surprised when I received this bed base. It's pretty ugly and in my opinion, extremely overpriced for how basic a finish it is. I don't get the hype, sorry...At $300 I would give this five stars.

Purchased in January 2020 for $800.00.

Koala S.Koala

We are so sorry to hear the bed base doesn't meet you expectations! If you would like to email us at support@koala.com, we would love to help you out.

CEM
CEM

The most creaky bed I’ve ever slept on

The bed is very easy to assemble which we love and it does look great, but we had to send it back due to excessive creaking. We tried everything and it just wouldn’t stop creaking. It gets extremely annoying.

I don’t recommend this if you’d like a quiet nights sleep especially for the price.

Purchased in January 2019.

Baris
Barismelbourne

Poor customer service so far

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Find out how Koala Timber Bed Base compares to other Beds

Shaz
ShazSouth East Queensland, QLD

Wrong size panel

Our bed base arrived Saturday morning. I got around to assembling it late Saturday arvo. Looked fairly easy and straightforward but the middle panel appears to be about 30 cm to wide. Initially thought I did something wrong. Watched the videos about 10 times, followed the instructions 1 by 1 several times, & re- ensemble but the middle piece is too wide. Try the live chat on koala website which said they available Sundays but no one there. Now have to wait until tomorrow. Very frustrating obviously.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Koala S.Koala

Hi Shaz, we're so sorry you were sent the wrong section! Our office hours are between Monday to Friday 9-5pm so if you give us a ring now a member of our team will be able to help :)

Haah103asked

We currently have a queen sized Koala base with a queen mattress and want to upgrade to a king mattress. Has anyone used a king mattress on the queen base? It looks as though there may be a couple of cm’s overhang but we don’t mind the idea ... Just want to know if it will work before we buy the mattress?

G’day Haah103,

Great question, thanks so much for sharing this!

While our bases are a bit wider than the mattress, the king mattress might be a bit of a tight squeeze to fit on to a queen base! The king mattress is 183cm in width and 203cm in length, and the queen base is 167cm wide and 228cm in length. The area of the base where the mattress sits is 202cm in length, so it might just fit length ways, but will hang over on the sides and that won’t give you the perfectly comfy sleep we want you to have!

You can see more about the dimensions of the base here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-timber-bed-base and the mattress here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-mattress

We’re here to help so if you have any other questions please let us know, or give us a call on 1800 575 337 or send us an email at support@koala.com if you’d like to chat through this further :)

Haah103

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response!!
We might need to consider buying another base as well then. Thank you again

May W.
May W.asked

Hi there, loved the idea of a bed base that does not require a screw and easy to set up. However, a week in and I realised I'm unable to lift the bed (+mattress) to vacuum the bottom of it, where else I can clean under any other bed frames easily without moving it around. As soon as we lift the frame it starts to come undone, are we trying to move it incorrectly? Please help as I'm not happy not being able to clean under that one section of the bed base. Thanks!

G'day May,

We're chuffed that you love the idea of the Koala Bed Base! Now let's make sure you love it as much as possible.

Our team have put their heads together and come up with some ideas : ) We want your bed to slot into your home and lifestyle, just as well as the pieces slot into place! From extendable dusters to fancy robot-vacuums, we'd love to chat more about your flooring and what options could work best for you?

Our brains have also already started ticking on future bed base design options, since you make a terrific point here!

We'd love to chat with you more and see what could work best for you, if you'd like to reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or support@koala.com. Then hopefully we can share back our hot tips for other customers too!

Kelly R.
Kelly R.asked

I sleep more in the middle of my queen mattress. I don’t really want the base overhang of the Queen frame due to knocking shins etc on it so thinking of getting a double base as its smaller over all and the base supports seem to be more towards the centre. My mattress measurements will easily fit the double base but wanted to know if the structural integrity of the base would be compromised particularly when sitting on the edge of the bed (which I do a lot when getting ready in the mornings due to disability).

G'Day Kelly,

We're stoked the Koala Bed base has caught your eye and love your thinking outside the box here! We've taken the product team out for coffee, to get their top expertise on this one for you.

It shouldn't be an issue, but we wanted to confirm for you that a standard queen mattress is 1cm wider than our double bed base and around 7cm longer. You could remove the headboard so the mattress can slide back... but then there’s nothing locking the frame together so it’s probably not advisable. The overhang won't be a structural issue, but it comes down to your comfort and what you like :)

Helen M.
Helen M.

I have a queen size koala bed base which is good but I do find it very low to the ground. I also have the mattress which I like. Do you have any suggestions that can make the bed higher

G’day Helen,

Great question, thanks for asking! We’ve had a chat with our bed base experts here at Koala HQ to get you all the info you need.

The Koala Timber Bed Base was designed low with the perfect height in mind to make it easy to fall into bed after a long day. Your safety and comfort are the most important things to us, so we don’t have any recommendations on how to safely make it a little higher - we want to make sure you’re sleeping safely and soundly.

Our brand new Paddington Bed Base sits a little higher off the ground at 31.4cm (the timber base sits at 25.2cm), so maybe have a peek and see which one you prefer? You can peep it here: https://au.koala.com/products/paddington-bed-base

If you have any other questions or would like to chat through this further we’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or pop over an email to support@koala.com - we’re here to help, always!

See all Koala Timber Bed Base questions

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Features:

• The Koala Timber Bed Base uses a honeycomb core to keep it lightweight and durable - it can handle up to 600kg, making it a great hangout spot for the whole family.
  • There’s a discreet storage slot behind the headboard, so you can tuck away that teddy bear you’ve told your friends you stopped sleeping with years ago.
  • The oversized platform design gives the illusion of a floating bed, so you can feel like you’re literally sleeping in a cloud.
  • The bed features cable management holes that let you keep your charging cables hidden while they’re charging within arm’s reach.
  • It’s advertised as being able to be assembled in 4 minutes by one person, making it a fuss-free affair.
  • A 5-year warranty and 120-night trial mean you can try the bed out before committing to it long-term, and gives you some peace of mind if you do end up taking the leap.
  • The Koala Timber Bed base ranges from $600 for a single to $1000 for a king sized bed.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers said the bed base was sturdy and didn’t creak.
  • They said that it was easy to assemble and to take apart (especially considering there was no need for tools), and that the instructions were easy to follow.
  • The bed provides good, firm support, according to reviewers.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers said that the mattress can sometimes slide a little depending on the type of mattress you have - although Koala also sells non-slip pads that can help with mattress slipping.
  • The edges of the base are a bit hard according to some reviewers, and you’ll likely knock your shins on them from time to time.