Koala Timber Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base

Listing monitored by Koala

Pros

• Sturdy

• Easy to assemble

• Provides good, firm support

Cons

• Mattress sometimes slips

• Easy to knock shins against base

• Ease of Assembly
Bede I.
Bede I.Sydney, NSW

Really nice bed frame, looks great.

I bought this bed frame because It looks great and I already had the Koala mattress. The quality and finish is great and it is nice and sturdy. My only gripe is I've had it for a little while now and it is now creaking when I get into bed and also when I move in my sleep, to the point of now waking me up.

Besides the creakiness it is quality.

Purchased in January 2020.

Troy
TroyCentral Queensland, QLD

Delivery issues

Bed base was very nice and straight forward to assemble. Delivery process involved unnecessary stress and inconvenience. Tracking did not updates regularly nor provide any details about where along the line the item was. So when the item was to be delivered, no one was home because we didn't know it was arriving. Contacted number on card and the lady said it would be delivered the next day. Took the day off but it didn't come! Called again, they said we would have to contact another delivery company to book the delivery. We really like Koala products but their delivery systems need improving.

Purchased in June 2021.

bigbrit_82
bigbrit_82South East Queensland, QLD

Bed creaks

Was great to start with (support is still good) but nearly a month in and the frame creaks whenever we move. Which is disappointing given the price and the fact it's now waking our 6month old daughter.

Purchased in February 2021 for $1,000.00.

Creaky

Upon putting the frame together it was creaking quite a lot. Rang up and was advised to rub beeswax on the joints which seemed to help abit but wasn't a full fix. Quite frustrating as the price isn't on the cheap side. Only a week in so will have to see how I go but at this rate I will be most likely returning it (UGHHHH).

Purchased in February 2021 for $900.00.

Canh L.
Canh L.Sydney, NSW

So far so good

Purchased in January 2021 for $700.00.

Sturdy Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base was very easy to assemble / sturdy / no creaking / comfortable to lie on / allows free passage of air. Only negative I think it would be so much better in future if it was made to the size of the mattress. It means bed takes up a lot more room than if was made to the size of the actual mattress size rather than overhang both sides and at foot of the bed.

Purchased in December 2020 for $700.00.

Review collected in partnership with Koala

Dave M.
Dave M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Six months of happiness, before the creaking set in

I purchased the base about 6 months ago and everything was great. It arrived the following day right on schedule and I was really happy with the look of it. The dimensions are worth considering because of its extended footprint but having factored this in, all was great, until recently.... Unfortunately, over the last few weeks it has started to creak very considerable, and it is worsening. I’m someone prone to lengthy periods of wakefulness throughout the night so the interruptions are pretty problematic for me. On a good night it leaves me tossing and turning but on a worse night, I’ll be awake for 2-3 hours. I don’t know if it’s the design or what but I’m sorry my experience has turned really sour.

Purchased in March 2020.

Gabrielle B.Koala

Looks great, very creaky.

We had the bed assembled about 12 months ago by the supplier and it looks great, but it creaks loudly whenever either of us stirs. Sadly sleep is worse since buying this bed.

Purchased in September 2019 for $800.00.

Renjie T.
Renjie T.Sydney, NSW

Brilliant (tectonic) design, but with blind spots.

Purchased in August 2020 for $680.00.

Charles P.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Slick, Slippery and tricky?

Purchased in September 2019 for $800.00.

Lloyd Jordan
Lloyd JordanAU

good solution

have assembled or rather watch while my daughter did as i am 70 and joints are not great but it looked simple but takes longer than 4 minutes to make

Purchased in March 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for $680.00.

Other Beds

Nice sturdy basic bed frame, the flat surface is perfect for the Koala mattress

Bed came the next day after ordering online. Was very easy to unpack and assemble. No tools needed. Bought it with the king Koala mattress and they pair up perfectly. There's a little squeek on the right side when I'm getting out of bed, but will probably go away once it settles.

Purchased in December 2019.

Tung Dang
Tung DangSydney, NSW

I like the design of this bed base but it's not good quality

I purchased a Koala bundle: mattress and bed base. The mattress is very good and I have reviewed it as 5 stars in other review. But the bed base is not good for sleeping because it makes loud squeak sound when hoping in or out the bed or rolling our bodies. So I have to return the bed base and keep the mattress. I appreciate helpful support from Koala which makes returning the bed base smoothly.

Purchased in February 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for $800.00.

jbauer
jbauerGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Overpriced

Quite frankly I was surprised when I received this bed base. It's pretty ugly and in my opinion, extremely overpriced for how basic a finish it is. I don't get the hype, sorry...At $300 I would give this five stars.

Purchased in January 2020 for $800.00.

Koala S.Koala

We are so sorry to hear the bed base doesn't meet you expectations! If you would like to email us at support@koala.com, we would love to help you out.

This is super easy to set up

It assembles in literally 4 min and no tools required. It creaks a little every time you get in/ out of bed. Apart from that it is awesome. The sleep quality imrpoved a lot.

Purchased in December 2019 for $1,000.00.

Koala S.Koala

Hey thanks so much for taking the time to share the feedback with us Kay!

James.
James.asked

Why is it all made in china? And most of it is made from polyester. Seems very over priced for imported Chinese goods.

Koala CSKoala

G’day James,

Thanks so much for asking this - it’s a great question!

From the very beginning, Koala’s tried everything we can to keep making things in Australia. Unfortunately, there are some products we just can’t make without a hand from overseas so we use manufacturers in various places around the globe, including Europe, Australia and China.

This decision wasn’t based on money, but the demand for innovation and sustainability - we’re growing faster than local manufacturers can keep up with! In saying that, we love local manufacturers and continue to work with our home-grown mates where ever we can.

The thrivability of our fellow Aussies and the environment we call home has and always will be at our core so you can count on us to continue growing our workforce here in Oz, working with local charities and partnering with WWF to support our wildlife.

We’re always keen to chat, so if you have any other questions or would like to talk through the materials used in our products a little more we’d love to hear from you! Just give us a buzz on 1800 575 337, hit the ‘Chat’ button on this page to be connected with our Customer Care legends, or shoot an email over to support@koala.com with ‘Product Review’ in the subject line :)

Edward J.
Edward J.asked

Do you have a semi double sized timber bed base?

G’day Edward,

Thanks for getting in touch - this is a great question!

We’ve done our research on this one and while we don’t offer semi-doubles here in Oz, we’ve compared the dimensions to our king single and double bases to help you decide which suits you best!

Our king single measures at 203cm long and 107cm wide and the double is 188cm long and 138cm wide. The semi-double base we offer in Japan is 195cm long by 120cm wide, so it’s smack bang in the middle of the two.

If you choose one and it turns our to be the wrong fit, not to worry! We have our 120-night trial for just that, so you can purchase knowing you can always return it if it’s just not right :)

If you have any other questions or need any help deciding which one will keep you comfiest, just give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or shoot us an email at support@koala.com - we’d love to hear from you!

Kelly C.
Kelly C.asked

I am thinking to buy the koala timber bed base for my new mattress, however, I am concern if the timber surface be slippy and making my mattress moving around? Anyone have experience to share? Thanks! :)

Gunter
Gunter

I’ve used it for months (although with a queen sized NON KOALA mattress and it doesn’t slip at all.

G’day Kelly,

Great question, thanks for asking! We don’t want you to be sleeping on a slip and slide and your mattress should stay in place while you’re snoozing. If you find that it is moving around, just get in touch with our awesome Customer Care squad - we’ve got some tips on how to keep it in place!

We’ve always got our 120-night trial if you find you’re not loving it too! Just give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or pop an email over to support@koala.com and we’ll help organise your return for a full refund :)

Alternatively, we have our new Paddington Bed Base which the mattress sits in, so there’s no room for sliding around! You can have a peek here: https://au.koala.com/products/paddington-bed-base

We’d love to hear from you if you have any other questions or need a hand choosing the best base for you to get as cozy as can be, so don’t hesitate to reach out!

See all Koala Timber Bed Base questions

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Features:

• The Koala Timber Bed Base uses a honeycomb core to keep it lightweight and durable - it can handle up to 600kg, making it a great hangout spot for the whole family.
  • There’s a discreet storage slot behind the headboard, so you can tuck away that teddy bear you’ve told your friends you stopped sleeping with years ago.
  • The oversized platform design gives the illusion of a floating bed, so you can feel like you’re literally sleeping in a cloud.
  • The bed features cable management holes that let you keep your charging cables hidden while they’re charging within arm’s reach.
  • It’s advertised as being able to be assembled in 4 minutes by one person, making it a fuss-free affair.
  • A 5-year warranty and 120-night trial mean you can try the bed out before committing to it long-term, and gives you some peace of mind if you do end up taking the leap.
  • The Koala Timber Bed base ranges from $600 for a single to $1000 for a king sized bed.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers said the bed base was sturdy and didn’t creak.
  • They said that it was easy to assemble and to take apart (especially considering there was no need for tools), and that the instructions were easy to follow.
  • The bed provides good, firm support, according to reviewers.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers said that the mattress can sometimes slide a little depending on the type of mattress you have - although Koala also sells non-slip pads that can help with mattress slipping.
  • The edges of the base are a bit hard according to some reviewers, and you’ll likely knock your shins on them from time to time.
CategoryBeds