Koala Timber Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base

Pros

• Sturdy

• Easy to assemble

• Provides good, firm support

Cons

• Mattress sometimes slips

• Easy to knock shins against base

• Ease of Assembly

emb-1489
emb-1489Sydney, NSW

Extremely squeaky at first but a simple trick fixed it.

Purchased in December 2020 for $810.00.

Emma Original Mattress

Looking for Mattresses?

Read the reviews for Emma Original Mattress

2,006 reviews
Ad
Pidgie
Pidgie

Trouble on the double but finally got it together

Purchased in November 2020 for $800.00.

KoalaKoala

My headboard doesn’t fit on the bed base

I just bought a bed base and mattress 2 weeks a ago unfortunately i cannot put the headboard in so I requested for a new one. I got the new one today and still doesn’t fit. I tried watching some videos again how to set it up.. I did exactly the same thing it’s just that whenever i put the headboard it doesn’t go in easily. I’ve got no problem with the mattress and base at all it’s fine it’s just that I already got 2 headboard both of kt doesn’t fit.

Purchased in July 2020 for $1,675.00.

Beds

Find out how Koala Timber Bed Base compares to other Beds

Kate S
Kate SSouthwest, VIC

So comfortable, but is creaky and slippery

We bought the mattress and bed together and assembly was super easy. Bed looks amazing! But after sleeping on it for a only few months it’s slowly developed a loud creak in several places every time we roll over. Safe to say the creaking gets more noticeable during other bed activities that require movement! I also regularly breastfeed our baby in bed and the mattress slips forward quite a lot whenever I’m sitting up with my back resting against the bed head. Mattress has also developed quite a permanent indentation where my husband sleeps which I hope won’t get worse with time. The mattress is super comfortable and I don’t even feel my husband roll over, but I do hear him due to the creaking which is just as disruptive during the night.

Purchased in November 2018.

Koala S.Koala

Hi Kate,
Thanks for our feedback. I would strongly recommend reaching out to our customer support team regarding both of the issues (bed base noise and the mattress indentation) if you haven't already.
1800 K SLEEP or support@koala.com

Jay
JayMelbourne

Bed Base review "to disrupt and improve the mattress industry"

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Bed works, company delivery problematic

The bed works, fits together quickly, serves as a platform for a mattress. Koala deliver everything and i had major issues with this delivery - wrong bed base, missed deliveries leading to difficulty assembling the bed.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Ad
Timmo
TimmoSydney

Colour is misleading

Great bed but colour is totally different to website shots. Is darker with pink hue to it. My wife was keen as the colour looked right but didn’t like it when it arrived

Date PurchasedNov 2018

The colour is wrong

It was easy to assemble, however the product shots of this bed are not true to the colour of the timber. This timber has a pink hue to it which you don’t show in your imagery. So I feel like it’s misleading. Now my timber bed doesn’t match any of my other timber furniture which is really disappointing.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Easy to assemble looks good but...

I received my Koala bed base yesterday. The three boxes contain everything you need and super simple instructions. As one small person I was quite easily able to assemble the bed in under 20 minutes. I'm very impressed with the look and assembly, my only concern now is that the bed is quite noisy aka whenever I get in and out it makes wooden creaking noises. I will see if the joints settle in over time I suppose but its a real bugbear of mine for a bed base to be noisy- I'm only 62kg so it shouldn't be groaning under the weight?!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Koala S.Koala
Beds

Find out how Koala Timber Bed Base compares to other Beds

Haah103asked

We currently have a queen sized Koala base with a queen mattress and want to upgrade to a king mattress. Has anyone used a king mattress on the queen base? It looks as though there may be a couple of cm’s overhang but we don’t mind the idea ... Just want to know if it will work before we buy the mattress?

G’day Haah103,

Great question, thanks so much for sharing this!

While our bases are a bit wider than the mattress, the king mattress might be a bit of a tight squeeze to fit on to a queen base! The king mattress is 183cm in width and 203cm in length, and the queen base is 167cm wide and 228cm in length. The area of the base where the mattress sits is 202cm in length, so it might just fit length ways, but will hang over on the sides and that won’t give you the perfectly comfy sleep we want you to have!

You can see more about the dimensions of the base here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-timber-bed-base and the mattress here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-mattress

We’re here to help so if you have any other questions please let us know, or give us a call on 1800 575 337 or send us an email at support@koala.com if you’d like to chat through this further :)

Haah103

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response!!
We might need to consider buying another base as well then. Thank you again

May W.
May W.asked

Hi there, loved the idea of a bed base that does not require a screw and easy to set up. However, a week in and I realised I'm unable to lift the bed (+mattress) to vacuum the bottom of it, where else I can clean under any other bed frames easily without moving it around. As soon as we lift the frame it starts to come undone, are we trying to move it incorrectly? Please help as I'm not happy not being able to clean under that one section of the bed base. Thanks!

G'day May,

We're chuffed that you love the idea of the Koala Bed Base! Now let's make sure you love it as much as possible.

Our team have put their heads together and come up with some ideas : ) We want your bed to slot into your home and lifestyle, just as well as the pieces slot into place! From extendable dusters to fancy robot-vacuums, we'd love to chat more about your flooring and what options could work best for you?

Our brains have also already started ticking on future bed base design options, since you make a terrific point here!

We'd love to chat with you more and see what could work best for you, if you'd like to reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or support@koala.com. Then hopefully we can share back our hot tips for other customers too!

Kelly R.
Kelly R.asked

I sleep more in the middle of my queen mattress. I don’t really want the base overhang of the Queen frame due to knocking shins etc on it so thinking of getting a double base as its smaller over all and the base supports seem to be more towards the centre. My mattress measurements will easily fit the double base but wanted to know if the structural integrity of the base would be compromised particularly when sitting on the edge of the bed (which I do a lot when getting ready in the mornings due to disability).

G'Day Kelly,

We're stoked the Koala Bed base has caught your eye and love your thinking outside the box here! We've taken the product team out for coffee, to get their top expertise on this one for you.

It shouldn't be an issue, but we wanted to confirm for you that a standard queen mattress is 1cm wider than our double bed base and around 7cm longer. You could remove the headboard so the mattress can slide back... but then there’s nothing locking the frame together so it’s probably not advisable. The overhang won't be a structural issue, but it comes down to your comfort and what you like :)

Helen M.
Helen M.

I have a queen size koala bed base which is good but I do find it very low to the ground. I also have the mattress which I like. Do you have any suggestions that can make the bed higher

G’day Helen,

Great question, thanks for asking! We’ve had a chat with our bed base experts here at Koala HQ to get you all the info you need.

The Koala Timber Bed Base was designed low with the perfect height in mind to make it easy to fall into bed after a long day. Your safety and comfort are the most important things to us, so we don’t have any recommendations on how to safely make it a little higher - we want to make sure you’re sleeping safely and soundly.

Our brand new Paddington Bed Base sits a little higher off the ground at 31.4cm (the timber base sits at 25.2cm), so maybe have a peek and see which one you prefer? You can peep it here: https://au.koala.com/products/paddington-bed-base

If you have any other questions or would like to chat through this further we’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or pop over an email to support@koala.com - we’re here to help, always!

See all Koala Timber Bed Base questions

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Features:

• The Koala Timber Bed Base uses a honeycomb core to keep it lightweight and durable - it can handle up to 600kg, making it a great hangout spot for the whole family.
  • There’s a discreet storage slot behind the headboard, so you can tuck away that teddy bear you’ve told your friends you stopped sleeping with years ago.
  • The oversized platform design gives the illusion of a floating bed, so you can feel like you’re literally sleeping in a cloud.
  • The bed features cable management holes that let you keep your charging cables hidden while they’re charging within arm’s reach.
  • It’s advertised as being able to be assembled in 4 minutes by one person, making it a fuss-free affair.
  • A 5-year warranty and 120-night trial mean you can try the bed out before committing to it long-term, and gives you some peace of mind if you do end up taking the leap.
  • The Koala Timber Bed base ranges from $600 for a single to $1000 for a king sized bed.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers said the bed base was sturdy and didn’t creak.
  • They said that it was easy to assemble and to take apart (especially considering there was no need for tools), and that the instructions were easy to follow.
  • The bed provides good, firm support, according to reviewers.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers said that the mattress can sometimes slide a little depending on the type of mattress you have - although Koala also sells non-slip pads that can help with mattress slipping.
  • The edges of the base are a bit hard according to some reviewers, and you’ll likely knock your shins on them from time to time.

Emma Original MattressAd