Koala Timber Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base

Pros

• Sturdy

• Easy to assemble

• Provides good, firm support

Cons

• Mattress sometimes slips

• Easy to knock shins against base

• Ease of Assembly
bigbrit_82
bigbrit_82South East Queensland, QLD

Bed creaks

Was great to start with (support is still good) but nearly a month in and the frame creaks whenever we move. Which is disappointing given the price and the fact it's now waking our 6month old daughter.

Purchased in February 2021 for $1,000.00.

Canh L.
Canh L.Sydney, NSW

So far so good

Purchased in January 2021 for $700.00.

Sturdy Bed Base

Koala Timber Bed Base was very easy to assemble / sturdy / no creaking / comfortable to lie on / allows free passage of air. Only negative I think it would be so much better in future if it was made to the size of the mattress. It means bed takes up a lot more room than if was made to the size of the actual mattress size rather than overhang both sides and at foot of the bed.

Purchased in December 2020 for $700.00.

Review collected in partnership with Koala

Renjie T.
Renjie T.Sydney, NSW

Brilliant (tectonic) design, but with blind spots.

Purchased in August 2020 for $680.00.

Lloyd Jordan
Lloyd JordanAU

good solution

have assembled or rather watch while my daughter did as i am 70 and joints are not great but it looked simple but takes longer than 4 minutes to make

Purchased in March 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for $680.00.

KoalaKoala

Nice sturdy basic bed frame, the flat surface is perfect for the Koala mattress

Bed came the next day after ordering online. Was very easy to unpack and assemble. No tools needed. Bought it with the king Koala mattress and they pair up perfectly. There's a little squeek on the right side when I'm getting out of bed, but will probably go away once it settles.

Purchased in December 2019.

Ad

This is super easy to set up

It assembles in literally 4 min and no tools required. It creaks a little every time you get in/ out of bed. Apart from that it is awesome. The sleep quality imrpoved a lot.

Purchased in December 2019 for $1,000.00.

Koala S.Koala

Hey thanks so much for taking the time to share the feedback with us Kay!

This is incredible and easy to put together!

The creaks a little when I get out of the bed and assemble it was easy and you dont need any tools to assemble it but you need your hands though.

Purchased in November 2019.

Ease of Assembly
Koala S.Koala

Thank you Antonia for the feedback and please don't hesitate to reach out to us at support@koala.com if you need assistance :-)

Mel
MelPerth, WA

Good but not what I expected

I like the design and it was easy to put together. The packages are very heavy so you really need two people, but once you unpack it one person can manage to put it together. The only thing I was disappointed about was the colour, it's not natural wood looking, the plywood is very pinkish/red in colour and doesn't match with other decore.

Purchased in October 2019 at online for $800.00.

Love the bed base!

The bed base stays put! It does not move, creak or go bump in the night.
Was so easy to put together and I always put the extra pillows behind the headboard.
Still a lot of space underneath too for storage and slippers.
Best of all - loved the instructions that came with the packaging!

Purchased in September 2019.

Koala S.Koala

We love the instructions too Shell !

Marcel G.
Marcel G.Sydney, NSW

Renter's Paradise for a price

Easy assembly, and you can use the space between the slats for storage. This bed will hands down be the easiest thing to move when my lease is up. Honestly it's amazing. It's a bit lower than most beds out there so keep that in mind when you're making your decision. A few people I know are put off by the height but I think it's perfect for rolling out of bed in the morning.

You're paying for that convenience however, there are definitely cheaper bedframes out there with more features and styling options. How much are you willing to pay for something that's convenient to move and set up once or twice (hopefully)? That's up to you.

Purchased in April 2019 for $800.00.

Victor
VictorSydney, NSW

Creaking every time I get into bed

I just received yesterday morning and it was easy to assemble, I reckon it took 20 minutes by myself (somewhere in the marketing/site says you can assemble in 5 minutes, not sure if it's possible though).

I already had the Koala mattres and both together makes my sleep really good.
Buuut... The bed base does creak, and is happening every time I get into bed.

In fact, i'm writing this review on the bed and when I make any movement not so smooth, it creaks :(

I really liked, the only thing is that for the price I wouldn't expect any noise at all

Purchased in February 2019 for $800.00.

Slide in the night

Absolutely love my koala bed!! So amazingly comfortable. It was easy to assemble and makes minimal noise. However, the only complaint is during intimate times the mattress slides significantly.
Also pillows are amazing! Request.... can you please please please can you make a boomerang pillow!!!

Purchased in November 2018.

Love it .....but the creak

Absolutely love the design and look of this bed. Very easy to assemble as promised.
Sadly the bed does creak....which is not ideal when you have a baby sleeping in the same room :-(
Also find that our koala mattress (which is amazing!!) moves around quite a bit.
Overall love the bed...am just disappointed that the creak sometimes disturbs my recently settled baby.

Purchased in January 2019.

Thoroughly enjoy it!

The bed creaks a little.
It was easy to assemble, can be done by one person.
Looks simplistic but modern

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Koala S.Koala

Thanks for your review, Aimee!

Haah103asked

We currently have a queen sized Koala base with a queen mattress and want to upgrade to a king mattress. Has anyone used a king mattress on the queen base? It looks as though there may be a couple of cm’s overhang but we don’t mind the idea ... Just want to know if it will work before we buy the mattress?

G’day Haah103,

Great question, thanks so much for sharing this!

While our bases are a bit wider than the mattress, the king mattress might be a bit of a tight squeeze to fit on to a queen base! The king mattress is 183cm in width and 203cm in length, and the queen base is 167cm wide and 228cm in length. The area of the base where the mattress sits is 202cm in length, so it might just fit length ways, but will hang over on the sides and that won’t give you the perfectly comfy sleep we want you to have!

You can see more about the dimensions of the base here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-timber-bed-base and the mattress here: https://au.koala.com/products/koala-mattress

We’re here to help so if you have any other questions please let us know, or give us a call on 1800 575 337 or send us an email at support@koala.com if you’d like to chat through this further :)

Haah103

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response!!
We might need to consider buying another base as well then. Thank you again

May W.
May W.asked

Hi there, loved the idea of a bed base that does not require a screw and easy to set up. However, a week in and I realised I'm unable to lift the bed (+mattress) to vacuum the bottom of it, where else I can clean under any other bed frames easily without moving it around. As soon as we lift the frame it starts to come undone, are we trying to move it incorrectly? Please help as I'm not happy not being able to clean under that one section of the bed base. Thanks!

G'day May,

We're chuffed that you love the idea of the Koala Bed Base! Now let's make sure you love it as much as possible.

Our team have put their heads together and come up with some ideas : ) We want your bed to slot into your home and lifestyle, just as well as the pieces slot into place! From extendable dusters to fancy robot-vacuums, we'd love to chat more about your flooring and what options could work best for you?

Our brains have also already started ticking on future bed base design options, since you make a terrific point here!

We'd love to chat with you more and see what could work best for you, if you'd like to reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or support@koala.com. Then hopefully we can share back our hot tips for other customers too!

Kelly R.
Kelly R.asked

I sleep more in the middle of my queen mattress. I don’t really want the base overhang of the Queen frame due to knocking shins etc on it so thinking of getting a double base as its smaller over all and the base supports seem to be more towards the centre. My mattress measurements will easily fit the double base but wanted to know if the structural integrity of the base would be compromised particularly when sitting on the edge of the bed (which I do a lot when getting ready in the mornings due to disability).

G'Day Kelly,

We're stoked the Koala Bed base has caught your eye and love your thinking outside the box here! We've taken the product team out for coffee, to get their top expertise on this one for you.

It shouldn't be an issue, but we wanted to confirm for you that a standard queen mattress is 1cm wider than our double bed base and around 7cm longer. You could remove the headboard so the mattress can slide back... but then there’s nothing locking the frame together so it’s probably not advisable. The overhang won't be a structural issue, but it comes down to your comfort and what you like :)

Helen M.
Helen M.

I have a queen size koala bed base which is good but I do find it very low to the ground. I also have the mattress which I like. Do you have any suggestions that can make the bed higher

G’day Helen,

Great question, thanks for asking! We’ve had a chat with our bed base experts here at Koala HQ to get you all the info you need.

The Koala Timber Bed Base was designed low with the perfect height in mind to make it easy to fall into bed after a long day. Your safety and comfort are the most important things to us, so we don’t have any recommendations on how to safely make it a little higher - we want to make sure you’re sleeping safely and soundly.

Our brand new Paddington Bed Base sits a little higher off the ground at 31.4cm (the timber base sits at 25.2cm), so maybe have a peek and see which one you prefer? You can peep it here: https://au.koala.com/products/paddington-bed-base

If you have any other questions or would like to chat through this further we’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or pop over an email to support@koala.com - we’re here to help, always!

See all Koala Timber Bed Base questions

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Features:

• The Koala Timber Bed Base uses a honeycomb core to keep it lightweight and durable - it can handle up to 600kg, making it a great hangout spot for the whole family.
  • There’s a discreet storage slot behind the headboard, so you can tuck away that teddy bear you’ve told your friends you stopped sleeping with years ago.
  • The oversized platform design gives the illusion of a floating bed, so you can feel like you’re literally sleeping in a cloud.
  • The bed features cable management holes that let you keep your charging cables hidden while they’re charging within arm’s reach.
  • It’s advertised as being able to be assembled in 4 minutes by one person, making it a fuss-free affair.
  • A 5-year warranty and 120-night trial mean you can try the bed out before committing to it long-term, and gives you some peace of mind if you do end up taking the leap.
  • The Koala Timber Bed base ranges from $600 for a single to $1000 for a king sized bed.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers said the bed base was sturdy and didn’t creak.
  • They said that it was easy to assemble and to take apart (especially considering there was no need for tools), and that the instructions were easy to follow.
  • The bed provides good, firm support, according to reviewers.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers said that the mattress can sometimes slide a little depending on the type of mattress you have - although Koala also sells non-slip pads that can help with mattress slipping.
  • The edges of the base are a bit hard according to some reviewers, and you’ll likely knock your shins on them from time to time.

Emma Original MattressAd