4The Little Guy Home Barista Kit

The Little Guy Home Barista Kit Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 Award
NewportHandyman
NewportHandyman

Hi, would anyone know if there's anywhere that can service these now, or if the seals are available anywhere?

SPIZ
SPIZ

Has all the parts you need and also they service machines

KayaJinx

If you are in Melbourne, Genovese coffee in Brunswick does mine and sells parts. Lots cheaper than the official Little Guy people.

The Little Guy   DM

They don't do it anymore, from my understanding.

Pip
Pip

Hi everyone.....can anyone tell me if there is a pressure relief valve installed in the Little Guy boiler?.....there appears to be a fitting on the side of the boiler; we cant hold pressure as we heat the machine up, water leaks .....seals look OK..Phil

Pete

have you at any time allowed the boiler to run dry and overheat? The reason I ask is there are plastic hoses internally attached to the boiler that go to the group head, if the unit overheats these hoses can actually melt/fail leading to loss of pressure. I had this happen to me when I was distracted in the middle of making coffee and the unit ran dry and overheated causing the hoses to fail. The internal /cutaway photos on the website look very impressive as the hoses appear to be rigid stainless steel or metal but in fact they are plastic.

The Little Guy   DM

Hi Pete, The tubing is actually made of high pressure/high temperature rated reinforced silicon and not plastic.

The reason for that is they the tubing has to be flexible so that the tubes can be curved through the machine internal chambers without crimping.

If you have let the machine boil out then after some time the heat will get so high internally that that the combination of heat and pressure will exceed the limit of the reinforced silicon tubing and the tubing will eventually fail.

The machine will need to be rebuilt which requires special tools and pressure testing after the rebuild.

You can get support on external link

Pete

I was told by a specialist hose fitter that you can't get braided (reinforced silicon tubing) and that it is fact just braided PVC hose, then I did a Google search and found a ton of it. So my specialist I spoke to should go into selling used cars I think.

The Little Guy   DM

All good Pete, stay safe.

Grace

Is there another sized basket I can purchase for the portafilter to make 1 coffee for myself

KayaJinx

I bought mine on eBay, I just searched for 51mm basket single serve. I got one that didn't fit but the second one I got fit perfectly

Grace

And both were the specifications of 51mm?

KayaJinx

Yeah but one was a little small

Clare
Clare

Help!!! My frother isn't emitting steam. Just the odd drip of water coming through the wand... Doing all the usual process, used to work nicely, but nothing.

KayaJinx

Try pulling it apart and give it a good clean. Sometimes they get clogged up.

Carl
Carl

Hey to all TLG owners out there! Anyone know how to pull TLG apart completely? Specifically the group head with the internal silicon pipe attached to it. I think mine has just blown the internal silicon pipes apart - big steam explosion just as I was about to steam some milk and all the pressure dropped out!! I'm in NZ and I dont think there is a repairer here so if I can get it apart I'll replace the pipes myself...........Cheers Carl

Holly T.
Holly T.

Same situ here! Had any luck fixing?

Luc G.
Luc G.

Remove the label off the top of the machine and then remove the screws that are hidden underneath.

Sebastian B.

Hey guys. I have a milk tip, and a question.
Tip- when texturing milk, only introduce air into the milk while it's cold. Once the milk is warm, introducing air will only ruin the texture. Also the milk jug will squeal for two reasons - not enough air in the milk, or not enough steam pressure.
Question- I struggle to get enough pressure to do a small jug of milk. My extraction is fine, I fill to the bottom edge, have the flame on reasonably high, and wait until the extraction is nearly complete to start on the milk. What am I doing wrong??

younggle
younggle

Does extraction start before the 8 min mark? Is yes, try a finer grind size until extraction starts on the 8 min mark. Or try using the other basket insert with the small number of holes. That will help with getting the right pressure for texturing.

Edgi V.
Edgi V.

Hi there, I've been trying to solve this issue of balancing the correct grind and getting the right pressure for texturing milk. I have a manual grinder and have tried both coarse and fine grinds and I find that when you go slightly fine, you achieve good pressure for textuing milk but the extraction is longer and goes over the 8 min mark. And even then, it doesn't seem like it generates enough pressure for a decent textured milk. My theory here is that the finer grind should allow better build up of pressure for texturizing. On the coarser end, the milk wand is super squealy. I'm a bit at a loss as well on how to solve this puzzle.

Sebastian B.

Hey team. A question, and a comment..
The comment is.. as a barista in a former life I have some milk tips..
-only texture (when the steam tip is near the surface) when the milk is cold. Once it's staring to warm, just spin the milk to the desired temperature. Introducing air into warm milk will split it. Also, the milk jug will squeal if there's not enough air in the milk, or if there is insufficient steam pressure.
Question- I'm struggling to get anough steam pressure to texture a small jug of milk. I'm filling the water right up to the bottom edge and my coffee is extracting fine. I wait until the extraction is nearly done to start texturing.

Alex k
Alex k

Hello,

My little guy is leaking steam and I can’t completely shut it off... does anyone know if you can replace the seals/ washers for the wand and how?? Would be very grateful! Otherwise may have to send it off...
Thanks!
Alex

Desmo Chi
Desmo Chi

Hi alex
Yes you can seals etc . Call Doug 0411782259. Mark the inventor is still contactable too. He's very helpful and offers full support
Hope this helps

Cazzie
Cazzie

Hi there, I have a stainless steel Otto who has travelled with me everywhere but I’d now inexplicably dead.
Please tell me you may be able to fix her? I will go to wild ( not to wild ) lengths to regain her health.
If not do you know of anyone who would?
Any city will do.., have a wonderful day. C
Or my email Caroline@thrown.page, ph [number removed]

Pete

Unfortunately Craig the owner has had to wrap up the business due to poor response of international export sales, there is a guy in Sydney who does repairs and will continue to do them for the foreseeable future. Doug Marshall is the guys name and can be reached on doug@kandd.com.hk he will repair The Little Guy if you have a problem. If for some reason your machine boiled dry or got too hot the internal hoses blow out and will need to be replaced, it's about the only reason I can think of for the machine not working as the operation is pretty basic, the internal seals could be another reason for the failure to work. Doug will replace the hoses at a cost of A$180.00. plus postage Good luck hope this helps.

Mike C.
Mike C.

Hi Pete. I'm after a new head seal - do you know if there is a seal from another machine that will fit The Little Guy?
Cheers
Mike

Kosta G.

I ordered it just last week. It was the correct one i also got previously the boiler cap O-ring.
Hope that helps you.

Matt m
Matt m

Hi

My little guy induction top has stopped working, starts ok and beeps to say detected, but then beeps and both the coffee light snd cooking light come on.

Also, has anyone had anyluck regards to useing another induction top on this as in UK and can not seem to find were to get a nee one from?

Pete

Unfortunately Craig the owner has had to wrap up the business due to poor response of international export sales, there is a guy in Sydney who does repairs and will continue to do them for the foreseeable future. Doug Marshall is the guys name and can be reached on doug@kandd.com.hk he will repair The Little Guy if you have a problem in the future. As for the induction stove I'm uncertain if he repairs them or has new ones in stock, I have been using a cheap A$40 K Mart induction stove for over 2 years without a problem just make sure to keep the receipt and exchange if you buy a common brand as some don't work with The Little Guy (trial and error). Monitor the temperature setting to begin with and have it at medium setting as too hot can damage TLG's internal hoses and you will have to replace them at a cost of A$180.00. Good luck hope this helps.

Tom N.
Tom N.

Hi Matt, I’m in the UK too and have the same problem. Did you manage to fix it or replace the hob? Thanks!

thall
thall

trouble removing the basket, it is stuck and I want to change to the other basket

Pete

You need to insert a knife blade in between the basket and the handle head and pry upwards.

Mr E
Mr E

I would sell it , they are a pain to use and getting 2 good cappuccinos from a little guy is impossible whatever basket u try. Just sold mine , very happy to be rid of it.
Basket will come out by pushing something thru the bottom hole of the holder.. shouldn't be stuck just tight

Dominic O.
Dominic O.

Some questions about my Little Guy (with custom induction plate) which I've been using for a week:
1) The coffee seems to "spit" all over the place, especially towards the end of the extraction process. The bench ends up spotted with coffee in a radius of about 30 cm?
2) Related to question #1 - the manual estimates 60ml extraction in about 90 seconds. I'm getting about 40 ml after 2m30s. Grind too fine? Too much coffee in basket? Tamping too hard? All of the above? I've switched to the basket with lots of holes ("professional") but that's producing watery coffee.

Il Duomo
Il Duomo

Update - 2 weeks and 3 bags of coffee after purchasing, the most recent cafe knew about The Little Guy (stockist) and even had their grinder set to "TLG" (not a number, actually a setting they'd pencilled in after trial and error. Finally, FINALLY the coffee is tasting smooth and rich with caramel overtones the way I like it, and it's not longer "spitting". Still falling short of the promised 60 mls though but at least I can see progress. It's a good thing I love a challenge :P

Daisy B.
Daisy B.

Hi. I hope you can provide what exactly is the grinder set to help us new owners. thanks

Hi
Have been a user of Otto now - The Little Guy since early release.
Problem - insufficiency of steam today for milk ?

Llonda

Problem solved - thank you.

Kosta G.

Hi Llonda how did you solve your steam insufficiency?

KayaJinx

I'd also like to know, mine has just decided to play up after a year of daily use.

House
House

Hi there, we have had our little guy for quite some time before realising it does not work correctly, water drips from all around the group head around the outside after handle is placed in, and soon steam starts to come out at an alarming rate. There is no crema and the coffee is mostly water. Also, we have not been able to use the steam wand as of yet. We have tried to flip the seal to see if that would help but same result. I'm thinking maybe the seal was just faulty? Extremely dissapointed so far but any help to get our Little Guy working properly would be greatly appreciated!

Kosta G.

Had the same problem, you need a new O-ring that's what i did and worked again.

jack007
jack007

Hey guys. Whats this machine like to clean? How often? Some reviews say it can be fiddly time wise - how much time from go to woe to make a brew?

ginny
ginny

I love my little guy but have not had it long

I unscrewed the steam arm and knob, and now can't screw it back so it functions, what can I do ?

Ivy
Ivy

I cannot fathom as to why a threaded screw does not work. It's best to contact the store that you have purchased this from. I am sure if It is a recent purchase that they can help.

Gemma
Gemma

My little guy is producing lots of steam to froth milk but not extracting any coffee, I’ve tried cleaning it, coarser coffee, finer coffee but nothing?! Please help

MaryMimBell

I'm not sure. Try running it through a cycle with no coffee in it. Does water leak from around the top compartment (in which you put the coffee in?) If yes, then I think you need to replace the (rubber?) seals. Have you accidentally left the machine on the heat and it's over heated? This will damage the seals. I've done this unfortunately. You can have them replaced by a specialist coffee machine repairer. I know there's a few in Melbourne but contact The Little Guy for more info. Best of luck.

Sloane
Sloane

Who are the coffee machine repairers in Melbourne? I think my seals need replacing and I don’t want to have to post my machine to Sydney.

NickJane
NickJane

Hi

Water is leaking from underneath & coffee is not coming out of the machine. What could be the problem?

MaryMimBell

Hi it sounds like you've burnt out the seals, maybe you've left it on the heat too long? I've done this, (learnt my lesson!!!) and had the seals replaced and it worked perfectly afterwards. It's probably best if you email Craig at the Little Guy/Otto to ask where to have this done from your location. Best of luck.

Logan D

Water dripping out of the group head whats ?

See below.

Logan D

How do i get water out of the bottom?

Damo.

Tip it upside down over the sink! That simple, then use a clean cloth to get the remenants in the boiler. I used to do this but it's unessesary. Also, water will get between the internals and the outer body and drip out the bottom or out of the top. Nothing to worry about.

Get an answer from our members and The Little Guy representatives

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

The Little Guy Home Barista Kit is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2020, 2019 and 2017. Learn more

Breville The Oracle BES980