The Little Guy Home Barista Kit

The Little Guy Home Barista Kit Questions & Answers

37 questions from our users

thall

thallasked

trouble removing the basket, it is stuck and I want to change to the other basket

Pete
Pete

You need to insert a knife blade in between the basket and the handle head and pry upwards.

Mr E
Mr E

I would sell it , they are a pain to use and getting 2 good cappuccinos from a little guy is impossible whatever basket u try. Just sold mine , very happy to be rid of it.
Basket will come out by pushing something thru the bottom hole of the holder.. shouldn't be stuck just tight

Dominic O.

Dominic O.asked

Some questions about my Little Guy (with custom induction plate) which I've been using for a week:
1) The coffee seems to "spit" all over the place, especially towards the end of the extraction process. The bench ends up spotted with coffee in a radius of about 30 cm?
2) Related to question #1 - the manual estimates 60ml extraction in about 90 seconds. I'm getting about 40 ml after 2m30s. Grind too fine? Too much coffee in basket? Tamping too hard? All of the above? I've switched to the basket with lots of holes ("professional") but that's producing watery coffee.

Il Duomo
Il Duomo

Update - 2 weeks and 3 bags of coffee after purchasing, the most recent cafe knew about The Little Guy (stockist) and even had their grinder set to "TLG" (not a number, actually a setting they'd pencilled in after trial and error. Finally, FINALLY the coffee is tasting smooth and rich with caramel overtones the way I like it, and it's not longer "spitting". Still falling short of the promised 60 mls though but at least I can see progress. It's a good thing I love a challenge :P

Daisy B.
Daisy B.

Hi. I hope you can provide what exactly is the grinder set to help us new owners. thanks

Llondaasked

Hi
Have been a user of Otto now - The Little Guy since early release.
Problem - insufficiency of steam today for milk ?

Llonda

Problem solved - thank you.

House

Houseasked

Hi there, we have had our little guy for quite some time before realising it does not work correctly, water drips from all around the group head around the outside after handle is placed in, and soon steam starts to come out at an alarming rate. There is no crema and the coffee is mostly water. Also, we have not been able to use the steam wand as of yet. We have tried to flip the seal to see if that would help but same result. I'm thinking maybe the seal was just faulty? Extremely dissapointed so far but any help to get our Little Guy working properly would be greatly appreciated!

jack007

jack007asked

Hey guys. Whats this machine like to clean? How often? Some reviews say it can be fiddly time wise - how much time from go to woe to make a brew?

ginny

ginnyasked

I love my little guy but have not had it long

I unscrewed the steam arm and knob, and now can't screw it back so it functions, what can I do ?

Ivy
Ivy

I cannot fathom as to why a threaded screw does not work. It's best to contact the store that you have purchased this from. I am sure if It is a recent purchase that they can help.

Gemma

Gemmaasked

My little guy is producing lots of steam to froth milk but not extracting any coffee, I’ve tried cleaning it, coarser coffee, finer coffee but nothing?! Please help

MaryMimBell

I'm not sure. Try running it through a cycle with no coffee in it. Does water leak from around the top compartment (in which you put the coffee in?) If yes, then I think you need to replace the (rubber?) seals. Have you accidentally left the machine on the heat and it's over heated? This will damage the seals. I've done this unfortunately. You can have them replaced by a specialist coffee machine repairer. I know there's a few in Melbourne but contact The Little Guy for more info. Best of luck.

NickJane

NickJaneasked

Hi
Water is leaking from underneath & coffee is not coming out of the machine. What could be the problem?

MaryMimBell

Hi it sounds like you've burnt out the seals, maybe you've left it on the heat too long? I've done this, (learnt my lesson!!!) and had the seals replaced and it worked perfectly afterwards. It's probably best if you email Craig at the Little Guy/Otto to ask where to have this done from your location. Best of luck.

Logan Dasked

Water dripping out of the group head whats ?

See below.

Logan Dasked

How do i get water out of the bottom?

Damo.

Tip it upside down over the sink! That simple, then use a clean cloth to get the remenants in the boiler. I used to do this but it's unessesary. Also, water will get between the internals and the outer body and drip out the bottom or out of the top. Nothing to worry about.

Hi guys
Most machines extract in around 25-35 seconds the little guy extracts in around 180 seconds how does this affect the taste, does this result in burning of the beans?

Martina
Martina

The only time I experienced this was when the steaming nozzle was blocked with dried milk. It rarely happens - & is due to the operator not the machine!

Damo.

If you overload the basket or the grind is way too fine (you need to find a gring/dose balance) casing too much back pressure, you can mess up a batch, but otherwise it doesn't burn it.

Bradstoneasked

Does anybody know if I need to buy or use the induction plate? I already have a way cool induction cook top, right next to where I want to make the coffee. I'm thinking I could do better to use my cooktop, rather than have an extra, unwanted piece of kit.

Mrs C
Mrs C

Bradstone, I have an induction cook top and thought it would be suitable for correct heating of the Little Guy. I did try using a metal interface on the induction cook top but it did not prove effective. However, I had to buy the purpose designed induction base. It is good in that I can prepare coffee in the dining room and also use the base to make coffee, cook or heat anything, either inside or outside the house using external power points. Mrs C.

Bradstone

Okay. I hadn't thought of the extra uses. Will think about it.

Damo.

I tried other induction units but none wanted to work with the small size of The Little Guy. Halogen cooktop worked ok, but getting the induction unit was the best. I don't know how but that thing beeps a couple of seconds either side of the extraction beginning and shuts down at the end. I also use it for cooking and it's shown me to get induction for my next cooktop. It was worth it.

Reubenasked

My little guy is leaking from the bottom? Is that a seal gone?

Ace

No, it's just the overflow valve if you fill it a little too much

Reuben

, it does it every time though, ??

Jesse
Jesse

The same thing has happened to my Little Guy, it no longer makes coffee but leaks out the bottom rear and top. The milk frothier doesn't warm up either.

Reubenasked

How do I know if the head seal is gone? I'm not getting enough pressure,

Ace

Check it by removing the seal with the Allen key and using a butter knife gently remove it. If it's not the seal it could be that your grind is not fine enough or it's not tamped correctly. Contact Craig at little guy support and he is very happy to help.

Gerry M

It is unlikely the head seal is the problem. It is more likely a matter of experimenting with the grind and the tamping. I tend to add more coffee and a slightly firmer tamp. Check with Craig at the Little Guy. He is very helpful.

Colin

Colinasked

I am having trouble removing the dispersion plate after undoing and removing the screw which I assume holds it in place. I have used the knob on the end of the Allen Kew to try and remove it but without success. Is there any "trick" in the removal of the plate or is there some other way that it can be done.?
I have had my LG for nearly two years and have not removed the dispersion plate previously.

Gerry M

You will need to use a butter knife to remove the dispersion plate. I think there is a video on their help section online that covers this. If this does not help send an email to The Little Guy. They are very quick at responding and providing assistance.

Wendy A

Wendy Aasked

We only get about 10mls of very thick coffee which is not sufficient for two people - we dilute it with hot water. There is quite a lot of water still in the reservoir when it's done but only 10mls or so comes through. Are we doing something wrong? Is it about the grinding of the beans? We've only had out LG about 6 weeks & are not very
satisfied so far. Wendy & John

Steve
Steve

I'm thinking it is the grind to fine. Or maybe your coffee is to level right to the top of the group handle. The coffee swells when going through the expresso part of extracting coffee. Should be about 5 mm once has been tampered twice in group handle. Google how to grind on you tube. They are very good , very self explanatory . I had issues with mine at start , but once following these you tube clips . I have perfect coffee all the time. They show also how to use induction kit in these , should extract just after the beeps when set on otto switch in centre. Steve

LetsTalkasked

Hi everyone, has anyone had problem with this deafening shrilling sounds when frothing the milk? I'm just wondering what is causing that sound? Also, although I'm using TLG induction cooktop, I still find that the steam runs out and the milk is still not frothy?

baxter

I've used mine for 4 or 5 years on the TLG induction cooktop. No shrilling, just normal gurgling sounds when frothing. Have had no issues with steam power — maybe you have a seal leak? We had a tube breakdown and being in Sydney, we went straight to the original engineer who fixed it. Contact them directly for queries: support@thelittleguy.info

LetsTalk

Thanks heaps Baxter. Perhaps, there could have been a problem from day one as it did that right from the start.

mpthestar
mpthestar

TI sounds like it could be just your frothing technique- experiment with lifting and lowering the milk jug. If you sink the wand too far into the milk when you start frothing it will screech. So lower the jug and let the steam gently skim the surface of the milk for a few seconds, then try putting the steam s little lower in the milk.

CoffeeNoviceasked

I have an induction stove top will TLG work on that?

baxter

I have only ever used TLG on the dedicated induction heater but the manual say you can.

CoffeeNovice

Thanks for that, it saves me a bit of money!

Kewlest panda

Kewlest pandaasked

Haven't bought TLG yet. It seems it can make 2 coffees with one brew, but what do you do with the left over cream if you only want one coffee? I'm planning to buy the TLG for my brother as a Xmas/bday present, and he usually only requires one coffee in the morning. Thanks for your help!

Louise
Louise

Hi,
Had my little guy for a couple of years. My husband likes a big coffee in the morning so he makes a big mug of latte for himself whilst I usually have tea. Later in the day I will make a smaller coffee for myself so we both have a small coffee together. So its either a big coffee or a smaller one and throw out the leftovers or two regular coffees.

Mr. Pilksasked

Only had TLG 3 weeks. 1st coffee of the day (flat white) - great taste great milk texture, but, is just a bit on the cool side. After a 20 minutes to an hour cooling interval TLG produces the best coffee, at least comparable to inner Sydney cafe's. Is there a way to preheat the 'head' on TLG prior to the 1st coffee?

malcolmd
malcolmd

I think one of the things which makes TLG so unique is the temperature at which it extracts the coffee. It's a lot 'cooler' than your conventional stovetop and, for me, creates a purer flavoured extraction. If you're flat white coffee is just a bit on the cool side.... it's probably because you're not heating the milk enough. I hold my hand at the bottom of the stainless steel jug until it gets too hot to handle.

Mr. Pilks

Dear Malcolmd, Thanks for your answer. You are of course right, I have been 'coffeeing' using a Gaggia Classic which produces OK coffee at a higher temperature than TLG but not comparable to the LTG's rich full taste and milk texture, so I guess that a slight adjustment should be made on my part.