4The Little Guy Home Barista Kit

89% · 16615 · 8%

Lucinda J
Lucinda JSydney

For great coffee

The little guy makes great coffee. For someone who does not want the push a button experience (like me) it is perfect. Best coffee is made with grinding your own beans to quite a fine grade. The machine also looks great in your kitchen. Definitely better getting the induction pad to go with it.

Burnie
Burnie

Frustrated & Disappointed

I persevered for 3 months to get a consistent brew out of this machine, I gave up. Plus developing enough pressure to do the milk proved elusive. A deeply frustrating and disappointing experience. The only plus is that it looks good, but that's about it. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Canberra Daddy
Canberra DaddyKingston 2604, ACT54 posts

Fantastic Coffee

Little Guy makes great coffee but with some limitations.

It only makes 2 cups, it takes 15 mins, you realistically must use the induction optional heat source and you must wait about 15 mins to make a third cup. Also I could not get the milk frother to work properly.

Apart from that, the coffee is excellent.

Show reply

yargh
yarghmelbourne

Well worth it

I don't have TLG, I have the Otto which is what preceded TLG but they are mostly the same. I've been making coffees every morning for 3+ years and this thing is rock solid enough for your kids to inherit. In that time I've only had to replace rubber seals. As long as you understand its limitations, this is a great buy. Those limitations are: it's a bit fiddly to use and is not a 1 button operation like a nespresso, it makes 2 coffees and is not good for making any more than that and it takes a while for it to heat up and start pulling the shot.

I don't regret buying it, it's been great.

ND
NDSydney
markcunich
markcunichSydneyAustralia2 posts

Machine for true coffee lovers

An elegant machine providing a perfect, strong and rich coffee. I use it for espresso which drips out with a beautiful firm layer of bubbles. A double espresso takes about 10 minutes to drip through, but has given me a real appreciation for the art of coffee making.

The machine is easy to clean and has limited pieces that would ever need replacing. The stainless steal frame feels indestructible and doesn't take up bench space.

Ketts67
Ketts67Turner 2612, ACT4 posts

Just get one - you will love it

Just stop pondering and get a Little Guy. This little machine is a great example of practice makes perfect. After the first two goes I did mention Gumtree but reread (or was that read properly) the manual, got myself a better grind from the local roaster and with a few days was making fantastic coffees.

I had though about getting one for well over a year but finally and with the help of a DJ's sale got one. I love it. It has also given me a much greater appreciation of the elements that go into a perfect coffee. The grind, dosing, tapping, tamping and frothing perfect milk. If you love coffee and playing with beautiful things this machine delivers on both fronts.

Scott B
Scott B

Exceptional Service For An Exceptional Product

Recently I was left searching far and wide for the penultimate level in coffee making. On the quest to making the ultimate coffee I stumbled across "The Little Guy". At first the price seemed extreme for such a small piece of equipment, but worth every cent as their is nothing out their under $1000 that is built to such a high standard, and with no moving parts means it should never break down. I recently felt with the team at "The Little Guy" and found their Customer Service to be of the highest possible standard. Would highly recommend "The Little Guy" for the serious Coffee connoisseur who only wants the best, because thats exactly what you get. Their is no substitute for quality.

Leone Corker
Leone CorkerSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts

Looovvveee my Little Guy coffee machine

Loved the look and simplicity. After the first week I felt like returning him as it wasn't doing what we had expected. Long story short, when you do it right,have the right coffee beans, it makes a superb full flavour coffee, milk froths beautifully and easy cleaning LOVE IT LOVE IT and I would recommend you purchase one.

Kate
KateCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC2 posts

Graeme
Graeme2 posts

Best coffee in Canberra

I purchased my Otto four years ago, and it has produced wonderful coffee throughout that time -- the best in Canberra, not withstanding the triumph of a Canberra barista at this year's world championships. The Little Guy is not only great at making coffee it is also a work of art. The Otto company also provides extremely helpful advice and service.

Phillip Smith
Phillip Smithnogales

Great Product and the best Costumer service ever

Both ([name removed]) and ([name removed]) provide outstanding customer service they understand what the customer needs are, supporting an Australian business that has made an exceptional product is a pleasure. I would recommend for any looking for an outstanding quality espresso shot there is no other product that comes close to the Little Guy. The product also adds allot to the kitchen decor, and is very easy to clean and take care of. Thank you again ([name removed]) for making a great product and having great personal to support the product.

Jeff B
Jeff B6 posts

It will last for decades

I bought this machine for two reasons. One: it has no moving parts and is built to an insanely high quality. It will last for decades without maintenance. Two: with some effort and practice, it makes a great big flat white. First thing in the morning. No more, no less!

John
JohnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA11 posts

AWESOME COFFEE MAKER

Finally after years of trying various types of coffee machines we found one that makes GREAT COFFEE!!!!! Like other have said it takes a little practice but the results are worth the effort. Had a little trouble removing the dispersion plate for cleaning but issue was quickly resolved through customer service. Fantastic product and backup service.

Tim Peacock
Tim PeacockBangalow

Mark H
Mark H2 posts

Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Find out how The Little Guy Home Barista Kit compares to other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

D M
D M

Expensive and inconvenient

Takes about 15 mins total to make two quite small coffees, and then is so hot that you can't make any more coffee for another 20 mins. Drips coffee all over itself while you pour the shots into glasses. Works on induction stove tops, but they recommend you shell out extra for their induction cooking pad. It looks very nice, but really isn't worth the price or inconvenience.

ksexton
ksextonQueensland, 427216 posts

Better than I ever expected

After putting my Nuova Simonelli Musica into storage and moving on to a Motorhome I was troubled about getting our morning coffees. After much online research and a need for coffee with a crema and a flavour like it was Barista made. I bought the little guy. A demo from Merlo staff and it all looked too simple. Now a week later, I think I'm in love. Simple consistent and full of flavourful notes. Easy to handle and clean. The only downside is that the box it came in fell apart already and as we're traveling daily we needed it to store Otto away.

Conor Ashleigh
Conor AshleighSydney

Paula
PaulaRichmond-Tweed, NSW4 posts

"Everywhere I go always take my Otto with me

My husband and I are constantly on the road and if I'm not making my coffee in the van on the induction plate , I'm using gas in the bush. I too am extremely fussy with my coffee and this machine makes a great coffee. I have also learnt to roast my own coffee and together with my grinder I'm totally set up wherever. Many pats on Craig Hiron's back for this great invention.

July 11th 2017 Update: Best coffee machine

I purchased this 4 yrs ago and have never looked back . The coffee is superb, easy to clean and you can use it over gas as well as induction plate. Im travelling round Australia and I enjoy my coffee in the bush while others drool.

Thoroughly recommend this Little Guy

Dorin
DorinHunter Region, NSW4 posts

chrissy
chrissy

Beautifull to look at but fails to deliver

We bought ours because it looked nice and we thought it would be simple to use . It started out okay but gradually the performance fell off until the crema hardly existed and the coffee tasted scorched/burned . We tried everything to fix it but one day it just went pop in a puff of steam and blew out . Never worked properly again so we got a full refund . Now we have a Pavonia which is the real deal .

Steve
Steve

Mary
MaryCanberra

Coffee waste

If you can manage to finally draw a good espresso from this machine, it will be a double shot. There is no capacity for a single shot, single cup of coffee, as I only need one cup of coffee each use, I have to throw away the half the extraction. I have used a weaker coffee bean but it is still a double amount of extraction and still uses a double shot. I go through at least double the quantity of coffee each cup I make. It's worth being aware of this for potential purchasers in the same situation as me, it would be useful if the designers developed a smaller, single shot basket for the machine.

Jace

MarieSouth East Queensland, QLD28 posts

Joanne M.
Joanne M.4 posts

I love this Little Guy

With the easy to follow online instructions I got the hang of an excellent crema very quickly and haven't looked back.

I use my Little Guy almost every day and can highly recommend it.

It looks so beautiful too. Now all I need to do is save up for the custom hot plate and my kitchen will be complete.

The customer service is awesome too!

pinkkitty
pinkkittyAU2 posts

Chris Magennis
Chris MagennisBeechworth

Feathers
FeathersMelbourne

Looks great, doesn't make enough coffee for us

I was shopping for an espresso machine when the design and simplicity (ok, and the beautiful packaging!) of the Little Guy caught my eye. Unfortunately we found that it doesn't make nearly enough coffee to manage our caffeine addictions and the wait time between brews is too long for our needs. I'm sure it would be great for connoisseurs who just want their one short black in the morning, but it doesn't suit our lifestyle.

I'm now looking to sell this one and buy an espresso machine.
Gorgeous simple design, no moving parts.
Doesn't make enough coffee

Babette
BabetteGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC2 posts

Otto Love

I absolutely love my Otto. I have owned my Otto for a number of years and it has never given me any trouble and it makes fantastic coffee. I adore the fact that it goes on a stove top, it doesn't need electricity, it doesn't break down and it still produces a damn fine cup of coffee.

Glen
Glen4 posts

Karlheinz
Karlheinz

Fantastic little dood

Great little coffee maker. An improvement on the classic atomic as it keeps the more delicate flavours of the coffee in tact. A great purchase was the induction top to suite. As it heats the little guy perfectly and amazingly goes through the cycle in perfect timing so not to damage the unit.
Stylish, Great Coffee ease of use.
Hard to heat on a gas top as the base has insufficient surface area to build pressure.
Max