2Thermomix TM5
Part of Thermomix 3.8

Thermomix TM5 Questions & Answers (page 2)

Pipper · Thermomix TM5

The scales on my Thermomix TM5 isn't working we have done everything the troubleshooting in the manual suggests but know joy. I use the scales a lot and finding it rather frustrating having to get my old kitchen scales out to measure everything. I live in the country the Thermomix consultant that I purchased it from know longer works for your company hope you can give me a quick and easy solution for this problem. Any suggestions? Thank you Peta

Ali J
Ali J

Hi PETA

Firstly I don’t work for thermomix, I purely wrote a review of my purchase of my TM5.

I would be devastated if this happened as it is one of the best features

Have you tried phoning Thermomix technical support on 1800 004 838 (8am-5pm)?

Pipper

Thanks for the information Ali I'll phone the technical support shortly.

Cheers Peta

Jones
Jones · Thermomix TM5

How do I find out how old my thermomix is? I bought it secondhand and now I'm wanting to sell it.

loulou121

Call Thermomix on 1800 004 838 and they will be able to help. If you have a TM5, they can identify from the serial number (which you can find on Menu - Settings- About). If it is a TM31, the Service number (located on the bottom) will help them identify it.

Cara R
Cara R

Hi, can I ask why you want to sell it? I’m looking into buying one so came here to read the reviews first.

Thankyou Cara

Andy
Andy · Thermomix TM5

I’ve got the new model thermi, the silver button doesn’t work to turn the machine on. I have to take it off and press the mechanism then put the knob back on to select speed/time.

Who do i contact to get a new one?

loulou121

Hi Andy, call service on 1800 004 838 and they’ll help you.

CMcP
CMcP · Thermomix TM5

My T5 broke after I failed to click the base in and started a recipe . Why didn’t a computer read out appear and beep when bottom was unlocked?

I can’t unlock the lid

Allison A
Allison A · Thermomix TM5

Do the tm31 extras fit the tm5? Or do they need to be purchased again? The steam basket etc?

Erin
Erin

No I’m pretty sure you need specific accessories to the model you own.

loulou121

The TM5 comes with its own Varoma, simmering basket, butterfly, etc. the bowl size is a bit different between the 2 models.

Dikabo
Dikabo · Thermomix TM5

I was just mixing some spinach with cteam in my tm 5 and it shut down and now it wont turn on anymore. I cannot open the lid either. Is there a way to reset or what can i do?

AJP
AJP

I’d sell it and buy a machine that comes with good customer service and an ethical returns policy... but that’s me...

Kelly
Kelly · Thermomix TM5

My cord is only pulling halfway out of my mt5, it's like it's jammed has anyone else had this issue?

Diego V.
Diego V.

Hi, did you ever fix it?

Rebecca S
Rebecca S · Thermomix TM5

I have purchased a second hand TM5 am I able to connect to a local consultant to learn how to use it? Thanks

bbsb007
bbsb007

If you contact Thermomix they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Pete V
Pete V

Contact Thermomix direct, they will give you contact details of consultants in your area. As a potential customer they should be pleased to talk to you.

SSH
SSH · Thermomix TM5

Hi, In my thermomix Recipe chip is not working, means it is not displaying me the built-in recipes.is this a technical issue.?

Heather
Heather

Yeah I think so. Call head office or your consultant. I haven't ever had a problem with my chip

Jess
Jess · Thermomix TM5

I'm looking at buying a second hand TM5. How important is it that I have the order number from the previous owner? I want to be able to get in touch with a consultant so as they can help me learn about it etc.

Brendan
Brendan

Having the original owners name and the name of the original consultant will help when processing for any repairs.

Shaz
Shaz

The Serial Number will also assist and is on the Screen in Settings/About Thermomix. If you contact Thermomix they can put you in touch with someone local to assist.

MoniqueLS
MoniqueLS · Thermomix TM5

What is the little plastic piece on the jug handle? Mine bursted it yesterday while using the thermo. Is this serious?

Mum
Mum

Please email a pic.dont know what I mean

Han · Thermomix TM5

Im in the middle of making mashed potato in my TM5 and invariably the butterfly whisk dislodges mid way thru cooking. is there a trick to securing the whisk so this doesn't happen?

simoga
simoga

I think it's a common problem. Just search in Google and you will find a few videos to show you how to secure it properly. Otherwise just ask your consultant ☺

Nickyloo
Nickyloo

Yes, if you twist the butterfly clockwise it will hook slightly under the blades and help hold it in position. Try doing this when it’s empty to get the hang. Then checking it’s still correct once you’ve filled the bowl. Good luck.

Han

Thanks so much for the tips. Very grateful. I'll give it another go. Very frustrating atm. :(

cheryl ellis
cheryl ellis · Thermomix TM5

Was wonder if I bought 2nd hand chips of ebay will they work in my machine?

deej

Yes they would because the Thermomix is isolated from the internet. The problem of chip registration may occur over time as using the Cook-Key means registering your chip to open up the recipes to your online account. If someone had already registered the chip you’d need to ensure they de-register it online before buying it. Worst case, you could still use the chip on the machine directly. The internet access Cook Key is a bolt-on, and the machine is essentially “dumb”. I’m sure future models will be properly internet enabled, but right now it isn’t - which is good!

Dash
Dash · Thermomix TM5

Do you think it is good for only one person or a waste of money?

Beth
Beth

Hi there,

It's definitely good for one person! A lot of the meals you make in it can be frozen. Plus, there's lots of stuff you will use it for that aren't dependent on a number of people (like sauces, loaves of bread, chutneys, chicken stock, milling your own flour, making your own butter etc). If I lived on my own, I'd get one for sure - it's a less cleaning than all the pots and pans you still use for one person!

Hope that helps.

Beth.

deej

The short answer is yes, but I concur with Beth in that a freezer is a good idea. There are some other advantages too around risk eg. no chopping and cutting yourself, pans boiling over, hot plate left on, having to stir continually etc. Definitely a good buy for a single person, as long as you actively use the product. If you just hate cooking altogether it won’t change that - it just makes it a lot easier.

Gie
Gie · Thermomix TM5

Is the plastic parts in TM5 BPA FREE?

Hi Gie,

yes, all plastic components (made of food-grade polyethersulfone - PES) of the TM5 are BPA free.

For the sake of completeness I should add that, however, trace amounts of BPA have been used in the lid of the Varoma and Measuring Cup for the older TM31 model solely for the purpose of hardening. I remember reading that Vorwerk acknowledged this and commissioned a couple of toxicological investigations to ensure there is no transference to food matter; all test results were below what is called (in laboratory terms) Limit of Detection (LOD) for BPA compounds, noting that the WHO trigger value for BPA detection is approximately 300 times higher than the LOD; thus, I would say those parts are suitable for cooking food. By comparison, some clothing, coating and cosmetic products are way more hazardous to human health than the Thermomix plastic components.

Hope this helps.

Lídia R · Thermomix TM5

Do you think it's safe to carry a TM5 through 3 flights on checked luggage?

TIA

Tine Keys
Tine Keys

No way. The checked luggage gets thrown around with great abandon. Carry it on with you.

Taylah C
Taylah C

I personally wouldn't take the risk. I've seen how the treat luggage when loading it onto planes and off.

Lídia R

Oh, I was hoping so much to have a positive answer .... I've been hearing here and there that traveling with it on the cabine not always works. And having three flights ahead is way too stress for me.

it seems the machine it's bigger than the info I checked about cabin measures.

Judy H
Judy H · Thermomix TM5

After selecting "Transportation Mode" I get the message "Please shut down ". What do I do? Do I just turn the power off?

Harmarnic

Press the big silver button until it shuts down. You should always avoid shutting it down by just unplugging it.

Eliza
Eliza

Do just as Harmamic says. Keep your finger on the big silver button until the sign comes on saying Thermomix will now shut down. You should shut your machine down this way after each use.

sophie s
sophie s · Thermomix TM5

to thicken up a sauce do you take the m/c off and sit the basket ontop instead?

thankyou (tm5)

Betty
Betty

apologies - I don't waste my time using the thermomix for sauces - quicker, easier, less time consuming, less washing up with 1 x saucepan + spoon to stir sauce...alternatively, use 1 x microwave safe container + sauce mix + spoon - using microwave - check progress each 30 - 45 seconds...a much better and easier way to achieve your sauces - Just how you like them...:]]]

Harmarnic

Definitely. More moisture can evaporate without contents splashing over the kitchen surfaces. Plus, you can still walk away and let the Thermomix cook rather than labouring yourself with a wooden spoon.

Alli · Thermomix TM5

Is it possible to have the Thermomix as carry on luggage?

Monica Desteno
Monica Desteno

The blades are not permitted on board. I'm sure there are size restrictions to carry on luggage. If you take the blades out & it fits the size then take it on board!

misstery
misstery

It's also quite heavy so I'm not sure it would be within the carry on luggage allowance on all carriers.

Manda

Hi, l took my thermo as a carry on to Perth. I was told that it fits perfect in overhead lockers. Wrong! ...l held the fight up as I sat waiting with my Thermomix sitting on my lap, while as they arranged for it to go on another flight ...it was quite stressful!!

But l did get through with the blade :)

Manda

But l did get through with the blade :)

Alli

Oh Manda. That sounds like it wasn't a great experience. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm wanting to bring one overseas and don't like the idea of it going into the belly of a plane..... the luggage comes out looking like they don't care about them let alone what might happen to a fragile article...

Kylee Jo Marere Smith
Kylee Jo Marere Smith · Thermomix TM5

Can the Tm5 overheat? Is 90mins cooking on the Varoma temp too long?

Hi Kylee Jo Marere Smith,

No, it shouldn't overheat, provided there is sufficient water/liquid in the mixing bowl, the Thermomix should not overheat. Never allow the bowl to go dry when cooking with the Varoma.

The rule of thumb is that 500g of water/liquid is evaporated every 30 minutes of cooking time, so just keep an eye on that and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Get an answer from our members and Thermomix representatives

Select a listing for your question
Thermomix TM5