Tick Travel Insurance Questions & Answers

4.0 from 1,521 reviews

104 questions from our users

Nev. BARROWasked

Tick Travel Insurance - Top

Can I claim for a Air Vanuatu flight cancelled on 22/03/2020. Replacement flight purchased for our party of 4 adults and 1 infant.

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Nev, if you purchased your policy before 4:00pm on 31st January, and your policy included cancellation cover, then you are eligible to claim for cancelling your trip, although it sounds like perhaps you are rescheduling instead of cancelling. Therefore, I cannot advise on the outcome of your claim, and I would recommend you lodge a claim. The below link includes all of the information you will need to lodge online, via email or via post, along with a list of documents that need to be included along with your claim.

Nev. BARROW

Why did tick accept and take money for travel insurance after the 31st January then why did they take our money after that date for travel insurance our flights were cancelled by air Vanuatu 2 days before we were due to fly back to Australia not our fault and no explanation from air Vanuatu

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Nev, we continued to sell policies that provided the same wide range of cover our policies had offered before this date, with the exception of claims related to coronavirus. In addition, it was deemed a known event by this point, meaning it would be expected the policy was entered into with awareness of the virus and its developments. I would recommend you contact complaints@tickinsurance.com.au with your policy number. They will be able to formally lodge your complaint and investigate your case. Thanks, Anna

Cath C

Cath Casked

Tick Travel Insurance - Top

I purchased this cover in October 2019 for a trip in May. We are postponing this trip due to COVID. My cover does include COVID-19 events. I will be taking this trip - to exactly the same destinations and exactly the same travel duration - but a simple transfer of dates will need to apply. I have emailed customer service weeks ago however as yet to receive a response. There is nothing mentioned in my T&C's to indicate that a date change cannot apply. In fact - I'm sure a lot of policies have date changes applicable seeing as people purchase travel insurance before travel dates become firm. This request is being made before the commencement of my trip. Please advise on this and how a travel date change can be applied.

Hi Cath,
I think if you go into your booking, it should allow you to change the dates, if not, just get in contact with the actual place you are booked into and see if they will allow a credit to be held for you.
And they would probably be able to change your dates also. If its non-refundable you may have just lost your money, Good luck.

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Cath, thanks for reaching out, but I'm afraid we are not able to change the dates on your policy, as this isn't something we can offer. Also, I'm afraid a refund can only be made if the policy was purchased within the last 14 days. Thanks, Anna

Neil Nancarrowasked

Is the normal travel insurance policy (to Norfolk island) covered for 1) Delay, or 2 )Cancellation due to pandemic. Policy taken out 20/1/20. ref. Pol. No, MS/TK/305143/24642129 N.Nancarrow

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Neil, I can offer general advice on your eligibility to claim. Since you purchased before 31st January, there is no exclusion for coronavirus on your policy. Therefore, the main issue is whether your policy included cover for cancellation. If you have a policy that includes cancellation cover, you are eligible to claim for cancellation. If this is the case, I would advise you lodge a claim - the below links will be helpful in assisting you to lodge online, via email, or via post.

Neil Nancarrow

Anna, thanks very much for your prompt attention to our query. Will contact Tour Provider to find out what is their situation re. our proposed tour and act accordingly. Thanks again, Neil

My pleasure Neil, let me know if you need anything else. Thanks, Anna

yolanda1asked

With regard to policy no. MS/TK/305144/24301326 our numerous attempts to reply to [Name Removed] email of 24/3 using the email address provided have been unsuccessful . We are wanting to alter the dates on the existing policy as the cruise it covered was cancelled to now cover a South American cruise for next year.
The dates are from 02/03/2021 to 06/04/2021 covering both flights and cruise. Please acknowledge and confirm amendments are accepted. Any help?

Thank you. Regards Richard Abbey
email address - julieandrichard3@bigpond.com

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Richard, I'm sorry, but unfortunately, we are unable to change the dates on your policy, regretfully, this isn't something we offer. Thanks, Anna

yolanda1

If that is the case, why would [Name Removed] email us asking for our dates for the next cruise in the hope our health insurance policy may be transferred? Something you “now” don’t offer due to the virus?

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Richard, my advice is general in nature, so I will defer to whatever advice Grant is currently giving you. Please continue to liaise with him regarding your request. Thanks, Anna

Philip Harlow

Philip Harlowasked

Hi,

We took out top insurance with you on 1 Oct 2019 for a trip including flights from Australia to Malta and Greece commencing on 19 April 2020. Due to the corona virus I have canceled all that I can without cost but it appears now the airlines will cancel our flights and I wont get a a refund. Are we able to claim this cost from Tick and what is the timetable for doing so? Thanks,
Philip Harlow, pcharlow@westnet.com.au

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Philip, without knowing more details, its not possible for me to guarantee that your claim will be paid, but depending on the level of cover you purchased (i.e. if it was Gold or Silver) you may be eligible to claim. The below link details all the evidence that will be needed to be sent by you, in addition to the details you will need to send your claim to us via email or post.

brian walkerasked

International

can I cancel my travel insurance took out in8/2019 brian walker

Graham Wilkinson
Graham Wilkinson

Yes you can cancel. Tick doesn't offer refunds, which is why i was so Ticked off. Next stop is insurance Ombusman.

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Brian, you aren't able to cancel and recieve a refund unless you are still within the 14 day cooling off period, which it appears you aren't. However, since you purchased before 4:00pm on 31st January, your policy doesn't have an exclusion for coronavirus related claims. So depending on the level of cover your selected, you may be eligible to claim for cancellation of your trip. Let me know if you need any help doing this. Thanks, Anna

brian walkerasked

International

can I cancel travel insurance itook out in 24 /8 2019 brian walker policy number ms/tk/ 305144/23847180

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Brian, as I mentioned in reply to your other post, you aren't able to cancel and recieve a refund unless you are still within the 14 day cooling off period, which it appears you aren't. However, since you purchased before 4:00pm on 31st January, your policy doesn't have an exclusion for coronavirus related claims. So depending on the level of cover your selected, you may be eligible to claim for cancellation of your trip. Let me know if you need any help doing this. Thanks, Anna

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Brian, please see the below link which details all the evidence that will be needed to be sent by you, in addition to the details you will need to send your claim to us via email or post.

Taihara

Taiharaasked

I cannot get an answer on your Telephone Inquiry Number (rings once then disconnects...have been calling for 4 days).
I cannot make a Claim on your Website (Claim Form page will not load correctly).
I cannot receive a response from your website Email Inquiry (Emails sent 5 days and two days ago).
In the absence of any way to contact you, how do I make a claim?
Thankyou

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Taihara, I'm very sorry for the delays you're experiencing. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we have been overwhelmed with calls and claims, and so it's taking significantly longer than usual to reply to emails. Just to confirm, when you say email, did you email assistance@tickinsurance.com.au? If not, I recommend doing so. Regarding the claims form, this has been pointed out today by another customer, and investigations into fixing this have already begun. I want to get you a response as soon as possible, and I have sent you private message (to ensure your privacy) requesting further details from you so I can identify your case and have someone get in touch with you. Thanks, Anna

Katherine U.

Katherine U.asked

Can I get a refund on my unused policy which is due to commence on 6 June due to the Australian Federal Governments highest level ban on overseas travel

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Katherine, if you purchased your policy before 31st January at 4:00pm, then you are eligible to claim for cancellation of your trip (presuming you recover what funds and credits you can from other providers first). If you would prefer to cancel your policy, and you are still within the 14 day cooling off period, you can cancel and get a refund. If you are outside of this, please contact info@tickinsurance so the team can assist with your request. Thanks, Anna

Sueasked

I have top travel insurance which I purchased from Tick in August 2019 for travel to Bali this coming Easter. If Jetstar cancel my flights, will I be able to claim payment of my accommodation costs?

Sue

Ok, change of question now. With Level 4 Do Not Travel just announced by the government, am I right that we can now claim our flights and accommodation costs?

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Sue, thanks for reaching out. Coverage for the coronavirus outbreak will depend on when you purchased your policy - if you purchased before 4:00pm on 31st January, you are eligible to claim for cancellation related to the coronavirus outbreak. I would strongly encourage you to read the below travel alert that details our position on the pandemic: https://www.tickinsurance.com.au/travel-alerts/update-outbreak-coronavirus-worldwide/

Sue

Thanks Anna. I purchased the policy in September last year so it seems I am eligible to claim.
On my PC and phone, I can log in with Policy Number, Surrname and DOB on your website, but when I click on "ONLINE CLAIMS" the following message is received.
"Suspicious page blocked for your protection https://claims.tickinsurance.com.au/Landing/Login
Your connection to this web page is not safe due to an expired security certificate.
Web pages must renew their certificates to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk for your data."

Shauna F.

Shauna F.asked

Hi!
With the current Australian Government request for postponement of non essential travel,
I have had to postpone my trip to Cambodia, due to leave on Thursday, 26th March and original return date of 6th April, 2020.
Under the circumstances, I am enquiring if Tick Insurance will honour my original Top travel insurance cover by allowing an insurance credit for future travel?
Shauna Feehan

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Shauna, thanks for reaching out.

If you are still within the 14 day cooling off period, you can cancel your policy and recieve a full refund. If, however, you are outside of the cooling off period, I would advise you to contact info@tickinsurance.com.au so that the team can respond to your change of dates request.

I would also recommend that you read the below travel alert which details our position on the coronavirus outbreak, as it may affect your claim:

Jessikajade

Jessikajadeasked

I purchased TOP cover insurance with Tick as I have Used Tick Insurance before. I have today had to cancel my Travel Plans due to fly Wednesday 18 March Due to All Australian Government Restrictions which were put in place yesterday which include Self Isolation Policy. This is basically a forced cancellation . I have tried to put in my policy No which is stated on my policy and it tells me . The details entered do not appear to be valid! Could you please advise !
Thankyou
Tracey HENSBY
How do I find out about if any of my cancellations

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Tracey, I just wanted to confirm that I replied to your private message yesterday with the information requested. Just to reriterate, in order to log in to the claims portal on the website, please use only the last 8 digits of your policy number, instead of the whole of it (which starts with MS). Let me know if this does not work.

Thanks Anna

Marionasked

I bought travel insurance for our upcoming trip to Bali. But have had to cancel this trip due to the Coronavirus. I Contacted Tick Travel insurance be email and have not had a response. I re-read my policy and it does say under cancellation quote. We will pay your unrecoverable travel costs and expenses in the event that it is necessary to cancel your trip up to the amount specified for your selected policy. There are 2 accommodations in Bali that will not come to the party, I was under the impression that we would receive compensation for our accommodation. Please advise what we need to do.
Regards

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Marion, I can confirm that you should attempt to recover what you can from providers before submitting a claim, but since I'm not part of the claims team, and I don't have all relevant information pertaining to your claim, I can't comment on whether or not you will recieve compensation. In addition, since it sounds like coronavirus is related to your claim, I would strongly advise you to read the below travel alert which details our position on the outbreak, as it is relevant to your situation:

Bicki B.

Bicki B.asked

Hi,
I bought top travel insurance on March 7. I am going to go to France in August. I understand cancellation due to change of mind is not covered, but in the event I contract coronavirus whilst overseas will I be covered for medical expenses?

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Bicki, thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, all policies purchased after 4:00pm on 31st January 2020 are not covered for claims relating to coronavirus. Please read the below travel alert that details our position on the situation: https://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-alerts/latest_update-global-coronavirus-outbreak.jsp

To make any changes to your policy, please email info@tickinsurance.com.au for assistance.

llee

lleeasked

Are we still covered for coronavirus now that a pandemic has been declared, if the policy was purchased before 31st jan? And would cancelations due to coronavirus be covered now that it is a pandemic?

David M.
David M.

I have a policy issued after 31 January that explicitly excludes claims due to coronavirus. Possibly covered prior to 31st January but you would need to check with Tick Travel.

Hi llee and David,

I can confirm that the cut off date is the crux of this matter, so if you purchased before 4:00pm on 31st January, you are still able to claim, whereas if you didn't you aren't eligible.

Amanda F.

Amanda F.asked

Hi. We bought travel insurance for an upcoming trip to Sri Lanka in March 2020. We transit through Malaysia. We bought our insurance on 21st January 2020. Are we covered for medical expenses and delays caused by coronavirus if they occur during our trip? Thank you.

MikeyD
MikeyD

When l called in reference to my policy, l was told that for policies purchased before 31st January 2020 you would be covered. My strong suggestion is give Tick a call to confirm.
Safe travels!

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Amanda, thanks for reaching out.

I can confirm that your policy is unaffected by the coronavirus exclusion, as it was purchased before 4:00pm on 31st January, which was when the exclusion came into effect. This means you may be covered as per the attached travel alert: https://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-alerts/update-global-coronavirus-outbreak.jsp

Having said this, I am not part of the claims team, and thus I can't give advice on your specific claim or case, I can only give general advice. I recommend you lodge a claim online here https://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-insurance/important-claims-information.jsp , or email assistance@insureandgo.com.au to lodge your claim via email, to see if you are covered.

jack haley

jack haleyasked

I have booked a cruise for march 22.I am now to ill to travel can I claim for this?

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Jack, thanks for getting in touch.

I can point you in the right direction, but unfortunately, since I'm not part of the claims team, I'm unable to advise you on whether your claim would be accepted or not. For anything relating a claim, you should contact our assistance line on +612 9333 3999 and explain your situation. They will be able to give advice on your specific situation. Alternatively, you can lodge a claim online here: https://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-insurance/important-claims-information.jsp

I hope this helps.

Jennifer Hare

Jennifer Hareasked

Does the natural disaster option enable financial protection from the Korona virus.

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Jennifer, thanks for the question.

For policies purchased after 4:00pm on 31st January, unfortunately we are not able to provide coverage for coronavirus, regardless of whether or not the natural disaster option is added to the policy.

We have created an in-depth travel alert that details our full position on the coronavirus outbreak, please feel free to read it here: https://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-alerts/update-global-coronavirus-outbreak.jsp

Ronaldasked

We are going to England and Paris at the end of April and will be away for 6 weeks. Transitting Changi airport. No one knows what the future holds with the Corona virus but are we covered for cancellation should the airline cancel our holiday? Or will they usually re-issue for a later date?

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Ronald, thank you for reaching out.

If you purchased your policy after 4:00pm on 31st January, I'm afraid we are unable to provide coverage for coronavirus, even if you are travelling outside of China. You can read more in our detailed travel alert here:

I would definitely recommend that you contact your airline and ask them if they will refund you, or offer you a replacement flight in case of a cancellation due to coronavirus.

Ronald

Thank you Anna, No problems. I know that you can't get Corona Virus cover so will speak to our travel agent about what the airline might do. Who knows what might happen within the next few weeks and months.
Cheers, Ron

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Ronald, yes, I think that would be your best bet. If there is anything else you need help with, just let me know. And you are right, it is a constantly changing situation, so be sure to check up on the situation on the Smartraveller website too. Thanks, Anna

Sarah G.

Sarah G.asked

if i am unlucky enough to have to go to hospital while traveling, do i have to pay medical expensense up front then make a claim or when admitted i contact you or have the hospital do this and you cover the medical expensese as they go and i am not out of pocket at all. How does this work?

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Sarah, thank you for reaching out.

Our 24/7 emergency assistance team are the best equipped to give you an answer on this, should the situation arise, and they can be contacted on +612 9333 3999. They would be able to provide relevant advice and assistance based on your specific situation and needs.

In the meantime, I can provide general advice only: the short answer is that it depends on the situation. In any emergency, medical or otherwise, you should call our emergency assistance line as soon as possible, but usually, for medical amounts under $500, you are able to pay up front yourself and claim back later. If the amount is substantial, you should call the emergency assistance line. They have the ability to guarantee payment directly with the hospital, so you don't have to pay out of your own pocket up front.

I hope this helps. Thanks, Anna