TifTuf Bermuda

TifTuf Bermuda

See the Best Gardening & Landscaping in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

It is definately the best lawn i have ever put in

It is definitely the best lawn I have ever put in……extremely thick, plush, and so comfortable to walk or even lay on…. Although it does require frequent watering, and mowing, particularly in the summer…… Had been supplied a few brown lengths of turf when I first laid it, but that soon grew to be ok. Have not yet experienced what it will be like in winter. But from the time it was laid to now …Oct 18 to Jan 19…its been fantastic.

This TifTuf lawn grass was a total surprise

I spent some time looking for a grass that was drought resistant, weed resistant and shade resistant. I already have some Sir Walter in the backyard and while it's okay, weeds and lack of water saw it looking a little sad. What fascinated me was that this new grass, trying to break into a competitive market was even more expensive than Sir Walter - the top of the range.

I thought, that's a brave call!

Having just spent close to $20k on our street presence with a new/old hardwood timber fence (we brought in a portable mill and cut down old ironbark wharf piers) on our riverfront property, I wanted something different.

I had read the following, 'TifTuf Bermuda is the product of almost 25 years of research and development from one of the worlds leading turf grass breeders, the University of Georgia. TifTuf has been hand selected out of almost 30,000 different Bermuda varieties, showing superior qualities in drought tolerance, shade tolerance, wear tolerance and winter colour whilst at the same time maintaining excellent turf quality.'

What I particularly liked was that unlike Sir Walter that is a broadleaf buffalo grass, TifTuf has a fine leaf like couch like grass. There was little in the way of reviews so I thought I would take the plunge and see if the marketing hype was ... well just that.

So we planted it in late summer and here we are in spring. It took very well - mind you, we excavated the top 10cm and replaced it with premium top soil and fertilizer.

Now as I look at it 6 months later, I'm surprised by the fact that it has not needed mowing for the last 2 months and it's done something weird. Instead of growing up it has thickened - to a height of around 5cm. Our neighbour's couch (on both sides) has needed mowing and, with little winter rain, is looking a little brown.

I'm a bit stunned.

For the record, I have no allegiance to the product (I'm a medico).

So we have grass that is weed resistance (a few needed to be pulled early on), drought resistant, shade resistant (under a row of palm trees on the south of the 6' fence). Then, instead of growing up and needing mowing, it just gets thicker! It's mid-September now so I expect to need to mow it in the next month or so ... maybe.

I'm so impressed I felt compelled to write this review as I know that the majority of reviews are inspired by a lack of satisfaction.

Can tiftuf be grown from seed? Will it take over already existing grass?
That I can't answer, better to contact the company who produces it.......but why?...the turf is so easy to lay, and you have a ready made lawn.....we put our turf down last November, and over the summer it grew so thick and spongy......our friend loved it.....at present it's winter and it looks fantastic, even though it's dormant over this period. Having said that I assume it must start from somewhere

I am about to put tiftuf for my lawn.But is this time of year okay to put this grass?Some say now it's winter it won't root so it will die and grass suppliers gave mixed reviews.Will winter affect its growth?I stay in Spring Mountain,Queensland.TIA.
I purchased my Tiftuf In September 2018, and over the months of Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, in just grew terrific. I had to mow it every week, and i found the grass getting thicker with each mow. Fantastic grass......thinking of getting more to do the front of the property now. The delivery and service was spot on....very happy.