Town & Country Melbourne Twin King Electric Adjustable

Town & Country Melbourne Twin King Electric Adjustable

Fantastic bed, super comfy, infinite adjustments.

Firstly, a big thank you to Donna from Town and Country for the invaluable advice and assistance in the purchase process. Well done, Donna. The main reason for purchasing an electric adjustable bed was for my wife, who suffers from chronic back and hip pain and has not been able to sleep in a normal bed for some time. With the range of adjustments now available to her, she is able to attain a level of comfort not possible in a normal bed.
Whilst the bed is great, the logistics of delivery from South Australia and installation provided a few issues, none of which were insurmountable but did provide some challenges.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Very comfortable with great versatility (but difficult to change the linen!)

Our main reason for purchasing an electric adjustable bed was that being able to raise up the head of the bed virtually stops my husband from snoring. After a lot of home testing of "concept" i.e can we sleep on memory foam (yes) and does raising the head of the bed stop my husband snoring (yes) we started investigation into twin king electric adjustable beds. We eventually settled on purchasing one available from Town and Country Beds in Adelaide. Our main decider was price as it was almost half the price of most other similar beds on the market. As we live in Geelong, communication was done via email and phone. Communication was always prompt and very helpful. We delayed our purchase for several months as we intended to travel to Adelaide for a holiday later in the year, and we wished to tie in a visit to the showroom at the same time. After looking at all the options "in the flesh" - corded remotes/wireless remotes/different types of memory foam matresses/with or without massage function/slats V's solid base, different surround styles, we decided on a Melbourne style twin king electric adjustable bed with corded remote and adjustable slat base. We designed the headboard to our own desired dimensions, settled on a leatherlook fabric that was easy clean and Dunlop Cool Gel memory foam mattresses for each of us. It was manufactured and delivered within 4 weeks. Delivery fee very reasonable with good communication from driver re-arrival time. We opted to assemble the bed ourselves, and while the parts are quite heavy, it is easy to assemble otherwise. We have now had the bed for 4 months and my summary is:
1. it's much bigger in the flesh than on paper but fitted comfortably where we had our old queen bed without any other furniture adjustments.
2. LOVE the ability to adjust head and foot positions to read, watch TV, sleep in different positions, eat breakfast. Love that my husband no longer snores.
3. found the Dunlop Cool Gel memory foam mattress is still quite hot to sleep on and is rather firm (compared to a couple of other memory foam matresses in store that we tried). My husband was not particularly bothered by the firmness but I purchased 2 single 1000gsm mattress toppers to put on top and the mattress is now a bit cooler and more comfortable to sleep on. ( free memory foam pillows also come with the bed but were too high and rather uncomfortable)
4. it takes long single fitted sheets. There are only 2 brands available in Australia - Adairs (white only) and Logan and Mason (limited plain colours). These are fairly loose on the bed because the mattress is only 20cm deep and modern sheets are designed for 40 - 45cm deep mattresses. I have yet to trial just single fitted sheets to see if they expand sufficiently in length. Any king size top sheet will do if you use sheets. We prefer sheets and blankets to doonas (king to super king were suggested) and found our lightweight queen wool or queen cotton waffle weave blanket were fine for summer. The test will be if our old queen winter blankets are up to the task of the bigger bed. I purchased single bed sized mattress toppers as long singles are not available. Due to the stretchy skirt they fitted fine. I also purchased long single mattress protectors which are actually quite loose on the mattress due to the memory foam mattress only being 20cm deep. With a stretchy skirt, just single size mattress protectors would do fine
5. changing the linen is hard work. Getting it off is no problems just raise up the head and foot and remove easily. The hard part is getting all the linen back on. Getting it over the head and foot when raised is easy enough but tucking in the stretchy skirts and sheets along the sides of the mattress especially in the middle, is awkward and hard work due to the mattress being very heavy. You have to climb onto the centre of the bed and wrestle with the linen to tuck under the mattress. My husband can do this OK but I struggle with the weight of the mattress to do the middle part (maybe I am more fussy and feel the need to have everything tucked in and not puckered!). Lowering the head and foot then straightens out the linen.
6. Once in place this bed stays put! Too heavy to move for vacuuming beside/behind/under. Let the dust gather!
7. the manufactured surrounds cover all the mechanical parts and frame and looks like a nice piece of bedroom furniture. Unlike some adjustable beds that look like metal framed hospital beds.
Great product and great service from the team at Town and Country.

Date PurchasedOct 2017