Toyota 86 ZN6

Hannah N.

Hannah N.asked

GTS Manual (2012-2020)

Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a Toyota 86 GTS manual.
It has a fair few extras on it and it sounds a great.
It's only got just over 70 000 km on it and it looks like it's in really good nic.

I have done so much research on them but to sum it up the Toyota 86 GTS is not like a Hilux it hasn't been around for years and years so it's hard to try find the long-term practicality or full engine life.

When we went to test drive the car yesterday afternoon we found out that the guy who owns it has thrashed it in the time that he has had it.

My partner and I have researched them and we have read that on the racetrack those models get absolutely thrashed and they will have a lifespan of a round 150 000 to 175 000 km if looked after well and his seems to have been looked after.

Now I fell in love with this car when I took it for a test drive but because it was driven pretty hard I'm just not sure of its reliability.
Obviously Toyota have a great reputation for reliability in general again this is a relatively new car.

Just wanting to hear your opinions out there obviously it's more like a sports car so it's meant to be driven a bit more hard than your general Toyota Camry or something, but should I be worried if I continue treating it well will it last me 2 to 3 years or more?

Andrew

Andrewasked

86 ZN6 (2012-2020)

My 1st/2nd - 3rd/2nd gate, still crunches especially when cold even tho' the service people at 1000km & 10000km say it will get better. I'm at 14000 now and the improvement is very marginal. As most of my driving is short distance, I would appreciate any advice on this matter, it is a daily occurrence and very annoying and probably not good for the vehicle.

Phil B
Phil B

Hi Andrew,
I am not experiencing this problem. I wouldn't stand for any "it will get better" nonsense. Get them to sort it out especially as the car is still under warranty.

Thruxton8

Hi Andrew, it sounds like you are experiencing the same issues with your 86 as I was and from what I had researched a few others. I really don't know whether these gearbox issues are isolated and if there is a long term solution. Personally, If I had kept my 86 and was determined to find a fix to this problem, I would visit a reputable performance tuning specialist that modifies and specialises in 86/BRZ's and talk to them and get their opinion. I'm not sure if you're from Sydney but Tune House in Marickville or MRT in Rhodes might be your best bet in understanding whats going on. Might be well worth a visit. Anyway good luck with it, if you decide to go in that direction I'd like to know what their diagnostics are! I'm currently looking for a RWD sports car once again and a second hand 86 in on my radar, this way i can test the box before I end up with the car. If the gate is remotely the same as my previous 86 and scalped from my list, I'll have to consider a low km, 350Z, RX8, or even a sweet shifting MX5 or S2000 regardless of age. It would be ashamed because the 86 is such a great package and ticks so many boxes.

BayBay
BayBay

Hi Andrew - I experienced similar transmission issues with my 86 (3rd to 4th) crunch and rattle. The Toyota dealership changed my transmission fluid and the problem is now gone. It might worth giving that a try.

Apart from that, the transmission in this car is absolutely appalling and they should probably look at recalling all of them.

Good luck.

Robasked

To David Taylor

Say Dave do you actually own or have owned an 86GT? I can only assume that you haven't, because you wouldn't make rubbish statements about how many of them are on the second hand market. So what? I don't see the point. There are 10,000 VT commodores on the second hand market. Are you saying they are a rubbish car?

David Taylor
David Taylor

Hi , according to car sales, 279 VT and VT 2 commodores are for sale on the market. Not a bad figure as it's less than the combined Subaru BRZ , 259 cars for sale and Toyota 86 , 392 cars for sale ....and way more commodore VT s were manufactured and sold than that car.

Now how did you arrive at 10 000?

So it seems, not surprisingly, it's got worse than when I wrote the the post. I've driven one, Toyota 86, and I own an Audi TT.

Thruxton8

Product Review has asked me to respond to this question. My answer to the question of whether a car is rubbish according to how many used examples are on the used car market is that I don't necessarily believe that this is an indicator of a car's quality. I do believe however that some people who buy the GT86 "think" they want to own a sports car but what they really want is a sports looking car that rides rides, drives, and behaves like a good modern day refined passenger/luxury car. Eg low end torque, quiet cabin, insulation from external noise, buttery compliance. The GT86 is not that car, it is however a raw competent sports car meaning the main objective is chassis balance and dynamics, "feel" (communication to the driver of what is happening under the tires) and to certain degree performance. The GT86 was designed to be used hard meaning the engine needs to be wound right up near the red line and if you have never driven a car or wish to drive a car "hard" (above 8/10ths)then it's probably going to make you feel a little disappointed. Toyota/Subaru makes no apologies in making a car like this and fair enough. Even though it will do all the normal car duties its design brief is VERY specific to hard corner carving and wringing the engine out and needs to be experienced on a closed circuit to be properly appreciated, which most people won't or rarely do. If you want more of an all rounder look elsewhere this is a proper old school sports car. If you know exactly what your getting with the GT86 and really want to drive a car at 10/10th at some point YOU WILL LOVE IT ;)

ANTZ

ANTZasked

86 ZN6 (2012-2020)

Can ANYBODY tell me what it is like driving long distance. I have to drive over 1000 Km every few months on BUSH roads. Can it be as comfortable as my 2001 Celica. It absorbs the horrid roads without crashibg thru potholes and does not squeak or rattle. And the A/C is great. What about it people, IS IT A LONG DISTANCE DRIVER??

Mara
Mara

Hi Antz, the GT 86 is a real sports car and the suspension is fairly stiff; having said that it is a very economical car 6L /100, it has great bucket seats that support and cushion, the AC hardly drags power when on. You will love it on a the Highway but if country roads are windy you would love the handling of the corners. It is designed for agility and speed and it's a drivers car. Just sheer pleasure even after a year and a half later!

Hi Antz
Mara is correct, it has very stiff suspension. It goes great around corners on sealed roads and just eats up the highway, but if you are looking for a car that will absorb bumps and potholes on dirt roads, this car isn't for you. Go for the Nissan 370Z instead.

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives