Toyota 86 ZN6

Toyota 86 ZN6 (2012-2020) (page 2 of 3)

Also referred to as: Toyota 86 ZN6 2019 and Toyota 86 ZN6 2021. GTS, GT

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Edgar

EdgarMelbourne

Toyota 86 experience

Bought this car and can I say it's amazing. Performance is better than expected and handling is a dream come true. Able to do twist and turns with ease on the mountains. Downside is the torque dip on 3rd gear but this can be fixed with a custom tune. Dashboard can be a bit better as well as it is laggy. Running costs is not that cheap if you are tracking it or driving like a race car. If a daily car, you will probaly average around 9L per 100km. Overall for the price range, I would recommend if you are looking for a budget NA sports car.

Date PurchasedMar 2015
Justin

JustinSydney

Perfect Budget SportsCar

This car is the perfect weekend sports car, with exceptional handling and steering feel. Throttle and braking response is acceptable and overall, it is an absolute joy to drive on backroads.
As a bonus, this car looks great from the outside and has all the necessary features for interior comfort.
The space for rear passengers is minimal and only to be used on short journeys, however the seats can be folded to produce quite a large albeit narrow boot.
Fuel usage requires 98 octane but I have experienced a low consumption average of around 8L/100km.
Overall, no issues with the car and maintenance remains cheap as it is a Toyota.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

madisydney

my 2nd girl after first.

its a great car with great speed that's why got fined 3 times..lol
$420 for red light
$2430 for over speed (170 km/hr)
$380 for over speed in 60 zone.
but still I jus love my bebs even though I have been charged for so many times still cant think about any other car.
Every morning its excite me to go to my work, make me feel proud when hang around with my frens.
I enjoy every moment when m in a driving seat.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

AMAZING!!

40 dollers to fill the tank!! Its amazingly fast regardless off what people tell you!! And mines an auto!!!!! Amazing looking car, but you do feel the road more then most other cars!!
I owend a rx8 before this and the rx8 was my dream car but not anymore ;)

RobGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Packed with features, fun to drive, reliable & cheap to run. Just wish it came in other colours!

Not the fastest car on the road but geez its fun to drive! Guaranteed to put a smile on any driver that loves a good drive. Blackline Edition only comes in white with black striping. Just wish Toyota had a couple more colour options for this particular limited edition model

Phil BPerth

Love My 86

Well, my 86 GTS is my second car. The other is a Tickford Falcon. Different cars for a different drive and I love them both but for different reasons. The 86 feels like a sports car and feels quick due to the low stance. Whilst it could do with a spare wheel, better stereo, reversing camera, etc. most of these add to the weight and would slow it down even more. If you have one of these cars just enjoy the experience. It was never meant to be a muscle car or a family runabout. I hear there are Cosworth upgrades on the way, smiling already. :)

AGENT ORANGE

AGENT ORANGE

underpowered overrated

a nissan 370 z ..0-100 in 5 secs...toyota 86 0-100 in 7.5 secs..thats about as quick as family sedan..really those who compare the 2 are joking...nissan 370z v6 245kws vs toyota 86 boxer 4cyl 2.0 good motor but needs turbo plus the nissan 370z just looks sexier better meaner..the fact that so much hype has gone on about this car must be toyota has paid off the motoring journos...get a NISSAN 370Z

Sherree

SherreeDarling Downs, QLD

Putting the fun back into driving

Thruxton8Sydney, NSW

Great, and probably too good a chassis for public roads

Paul H

Paul H

Thougths after 30k (18 months) auto GTS

DarkEVO

DarkEVOSydney, NSW

Japan's ultimate rear wheel machine

MsJanette25

MsJanette25AU

Great value for money

Poor paint falls off

Paint falling off after 1 year (dark blue colour.) Although vehicle is washed weekly Toyota claims secondary to bird poo . Overall thin poor quality paint. Scratches really easily . Have never had this happen with other cars . Would never buy a Toyota again be warned !!! About the paint.

Paint falling off

RobMelbourne

The 86GT - It does what it was designed for.

Tuz

TuzBendigo

Overrated and underpowered.

Hannah N.

Hannah N.asked

GTS Manual (2012-2020)

Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a Toyota 86 GTS manual.
It has a fair few extras on it and it sounds a great.
It's only got just over 70 000 km on it and it looks like it's in really good nic.

I have done so much research on them but to sum it up the Toyota 86 GTS is not like a Hilux it hasn't been around for years and years so it's hard to try find the long-term practicality or full engine life.

When we went to test drive the car yesterday afternoon we found out that the guy who owns it has thrashed it in the time that he has had it.

My partner and I have researched them and we have read that on the racetrack those models get absolutely thrashed and they will have a lifespan of a round 150 000 to 175 000 km if looked after well and his seems to have been looked after.

Now I fell in love with this car when I took it for a test drive but because it was driven pretty hard I'm just not sure of its reliability.
Obviously Toyota have a great reputation for reliability in general again this is a relatively new car.

Just wanting to hear your opinions out there obviously it's more like a sports car so it's meant to be driven a bit more hard than your general Toyota Camry or something, but should I be worried if I continue treating it well will it last me 2 to 3 years or more?

Andrew

Andrewasked

86 ZN6 (2012-2020)

My 1st/2nd - 3rd/2nd gate, still crunches especially when cold even tho' the service people at 1000km & 10000km say it will get better. I'm at 14000 now and the improvement is very marginal. As most of my driving is short distance, I would appreciate any advice on this matter, it is a daily occurrence and very annoying and probably not good for the vehicle.

Hi Andrew,
I am not experiencing this problem. I wouldn't stand for any "it will get better" nonsense. Get them to sort it out especially as the car is still under warranty.

Thruxton8

Hi Andrew, it sounds like you are experiencing the same issues with your 86 as I was and from what I had researched a few others. I really don't know whether these gearbox issues are isolated and if there is a long term solution. Personally, If I had kept my 86 and was determined to find a fix to this problem, I would visit a reputable performance tuning specialist that modifies and specialises in 86/BRZ's and talk to them and get their opinion. I'm not sure if you're from Sydney but Tune House in Marickville or MRT in Rhodes might be your best bet in understanding whats going on. Might be well worth a visit. Anyway good luck with it, if you decide to go in that direction I'd like to know what their diagnostics are! I'm currently looking for a RWD sports car once again and a second hand 86 in on my radar, this way i can test the box before I end up with the car. If the gate is remotely the same as my previous 86 and scalped from my list, I'll have to consider a low km, 350Z, RX8, or even a sweet shifting MX5 or S2000 regardless of age. It would be ashamed because the 86 is such a great package and ticks so many boxes.

BayBay

Hi Andrew - I experienced similar transmission issues with my 86 (3rd to 4th) crunch and rattle. The Toyota dealership changed my transmission fluid and the problem is now gone. It might worth giving that a try.

Apart from that, the transmission in this car is absolutely appalling and they should probably look at recalling all of them.

Good luck.

Robasked

86 ZN6 (2012-2020)

To David Taylor

Say Dave do you actually own or have owned an 86GT? I can only assume that you haven't, because you wouldn't make rubbish statements about how many of them are on the second hand market. So what? I don't see the point. There are 10,000 VT commodores on the second hand market. Are you saying they are a rubbish car?

David Taylor
David Taylor

Hi , according to car sales, 279 VT and VT 2 commodores are for sale on the market. Not a bad figure as it's less than the combined Subaru BRZ , 259 cars for sale and Toyota 86 , 392 cars for sale ....and way more commodore VT s were manufactured and sold than that car.

Now how did you arrive at 10 000?

So it seems, not surprisingly, it's got worse than when I wrote the the post. I've driven one, Toyota 86, and I own an Audi TT.

Thruxton8

Product Review has asked me to respond to this question. My answer to the question of whether a car is rubbish according to how many used examples are on the used car market is that I don't necessarily believe that this is an indicator of a car's quality. I do believe however that some people who buy the GT86 "think" they want to own a sports car but what they really want is a sports looking car that rides rides, drives, and behaves like a good modern day refined passenger/luxury car. Eg low end torque, quiet cabin, insulation from external noise, buttery compliance. The GT86 is not that car, it is however a raw competent sports car meaning the main objective is chassis balance and dynamics, "feel" (communication to the driver of what is happening under the tires) and to certain degree performance. The GT86 was designed to be used hard meaning the engine needs to be wound right up near the red line and if you have never driven a car or wish to drive a car "hard" (above 8/10ths)then it's probably going to make you feel a little disappointed. Toyota/Subaru makes no apologies in making a car like this and fair enough. Even though it will do all the normal car duties its design brief is VERY specific to hard corner carving and wringing the engine out and needs to be experienced on a closed circuit to be properly appreciated, which most people won't or rarely do. If you want more of an all rounder look elsewhere this is a proper old school sports car. If you know exactly what your getting with the GT86 and really want to drive a car at 10/10th at some point YOU WILL LOVE IT ;)

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives