Toyota Corolla

Toyota Corolla Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

E150, E120, ZRE182R (Hatch), etc...

41 questions from our users

Raj

Rajasked

Corolla E120

I am planning to buy a Toyota 2006 Corolla Conquest Model (ran 100k) for 6300. Can you please let me know whether i would have to change the timing belt soon after a few kms run?

Tom Brown
Tom Brown

I believe you have timing chain not a belt on that model. If its well maintained it should last the life of the car.

Dan

Danasked

Hi! What is the biggest size surfboard you can fit in the back of the 2013 hatchback corolla with the back seats folded down?
Dan

Annette

In my car laying flat 160 and angled on edge you can get it on the armrest between the seats and possibly get 230. Hope this is of some help.

Marc R
Marc R

If you purchased the wagon form, (discontinued 2006), and fold down the rear seats, the maximum space should be achieved.

Karl Sasked

Corolla E150

Fan blows warm air even with temp setting on cold (Ac off and outside intake on).. not sure if this is normal or not? My previous car's fan blew quite cool air from outside. Even driving in the hills with 15 degrees air outside it gets stifling inside with only the fan on, meaning I have to either open the windows or turn on the AC. Possible something is blocked, or is this just because of where it's pulling in the air from the engine bay..?

Annette

Hi Karl, this isn't the case with me.Naturally on a warm day it will only blow warm air but when cooler it's cold air and very comfortable.
It doesn't right to me that your still getting warm air on a cool day, I'd get this checked out.

dananjaya70
dananjaya70

This not normal.Should be engine heat coming thorough.

techguy
techguy

I've noticed this same thing; haven't identified the cause, nor been too concerned about it aside from a few months we went without A/C due to a failed compressor - unrelated. Haven't verified it, but seems to me as though the heat is probably coming froa/m the heater core; as though the heat/cool valve doesn't entirely close off the flow of hot water from the engine to the heater core. Doesn't bother me beyond curiosity, as the A/C still blows nice and cold.

Andrew. Jasked

on cold start up on my 2013 Corolla sport hatch sluggish for a few seconds and then does the usual high revs, any answers? Andrew.

Aussiebob

My Corolla Sports Hatch does not show the symptoms you have described. Always starts with moderate revs even on cold mornings then settles down as it should with no problems. Perhaps a mention about the way it starts for you to your dealer or mechanic as it may need a computer adjustment and best to get these things done while the car is still under capped service warranty.

Andrew. J

Thank you Aussiebob for your reply,Will mention the problem at the next service. Is the front end noisey in your corolla,the right side of mine sounds loose,mentioned it to the workshop manager his reply was his wife's corolla has the same noise.A new car should not a noisey front end.So much for Toyota being Tuff.

Gerardo Trejo
Gerardo Trejo

Same issues described here, I too have a Corolla Ascent Sport 2014. Lately on cold starts it is too sluggish and the rattling on the dashboard (driver side )is driving mad ( low and high speeds still rattles). Dealership mechanics have only sprayed some scilicone on the air vents to stope this from happening but i do not think the air vent is the culprit. this rattling is more noticeable when the ac cools the inside parts.

Karl Sasked

Hi all!
Can anyone advise if a 2004 Corolla wagon (ZZE122R) is long enough to sleep in the back with the rear seats folded down (assuming the seats fold down flat)?

I'm on the hunt for a fuel efficient, inexpensive vehicle (to own and maintain) that can double as a town runabout and also as a surf trip wagon where we can sleep in the back on odd occasions as needed (surfboards on the roof obviously).

I've also asked about the i30 wagon and have been told they are too short to be used for this purpose. My next option is something a bit larger and more expensive to own/run like the Subaru Forester.

Domestic
Domestic

Hi Karl S, I have never owned a wagon version, have only had the hatch - which though with the seats down does hold alot for its size, would be (in my opinion too small). However we also own a 2011 Forester which has been used twice to sleep in, with two adults works quick well. Also we have found the subaru very reliable and not too expensive to maintain (owned since new 103000kms so far - servicing at the dealer).

Thanks Domestic.

Are there any Corolla wagon owners here that could measure the distance from the back of the front seat (rolled forward) to the back door inside the vehicle? As long as there's at least 1.8m it would be long enough for impromptu car camping. Even if the seats don't fold down completely flat it should be OK as I'll build a fold out sleeping platform to go over it and provide a stable, level surface and storage underneath.

We've currently got a Delica van which is set up as a camper and it is massive, so it's hard to gauge these smaller cars if they'll have enough space or not. I'm also looking at the Outback wagons as they're a bit longer than the Forester.

Karl S

To answer my own question: Yes the Corolla wagon Is large enough to sleep in the back BUT only if you build a camper system (flash floor) which folds out full length and tilt the front seats forwards. It took a bit of trial and error but I now have it sorted and it works very well and very comfortable! I posted the link in my review but I won't again because I don't want to be flagged for spamming.. essentially if you google Corolla wagon camper conversion you will find my post and website with all the info. All the best!

Moshasked

Corolla E150

I am planning to buy a Toyota Corolla Seca Ascent 2008 with 131000 Kms. Is this 131,000 Kms too high for this car? Does this model come with a Timing Belt or a Timing Chain?

Dapto Dawg
Dapto Dawg

The 1.8 in a Corolla of this year is a timing chain. A very easy to maintain engine, and from what I hear very durable, like most Toyota engines. I would say 131,000km should be fine - I have seen Corollas with 4-500,000km on them running perfectly with no smoke or any problems at all. Like any car though, I would check that it has been looked after, ideally with all logbook services done and stamped in the book (doesn't have to be a dealer - the independents are just as good). Check it blows no blue smoke when you rev the engine - this would mean it has bad rings and is burning oil (black smoke would be an injector or fuel delivery problem). Check the fluid levels and that the antifreeze contains antifreeze (green or pink) and not just water. Check that the antifreeze overflow tank doesn't have a lot of lumpy brown or copper residue - this would mean there used to be a leak and someone put in stop leak. Uncap the oil filler and look in with a torch - any orange or brown varnish is bad and means the oil went over-long without changing. Sounds silly but look for anything that looks like it was done by someone other than Toyota and question it from the seller - half of the aftermarket things people put on do more harm than good. If in doubt ask to take it to an independent mechanic at your expense - any seller that refuses this is hiding something. Corollas are great cars but you will always do better getting one that has been babied over one that hasn't. Hope this helps.

Mosh

Thanks a lot for such an informative response

sbjan

sbjanasked

Corolla E120

Hi guys , I am planning to buy '2005 Toyota Corolla Levin ZZE122R' this is the first time i am buying a car after saving money for two years now so i need some suggestions. I am a student and I really need a car that i dont spent alot of money on maintenance. This car is 86000km driven and the owner is asking for 7,750. Thanks

brian

Not sure though that does sound steep for a car thats roughly about 10 years old / try to haggle them down to about 4 to 5 grand / me personally I wouldn't pay that much for any regular make that old with that many kilometres travelled unless it was a high end car such a Volvo, BMW. Volkswagen or a Mercedes Benz

brian

As long it's a safe car to drive that is the main thing so if they won't budge on the price don't worry about it too much / what you could do try taking a mechanic with you and also to take the car for a test drive

Toma

Tomaasked

Market value for toyota corolla hatch back2009?

gman13133
gman13133

Which model and how many km's?

Anoop
Anoop

Model 2009. Km 56000

Annetteasked

I'm trying to change my email address on my review but it won't change it. My email is Agillett@y7mail.com not agillety@y7mail .com.

Anna K
Anna K

Hi Annette,

We have amended your email address.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

norm

normasked

Does the 2010 corolla a sent Australian have traction control & stability control?

brian

Not sure though you could try contacting Toyota Australia or try to type the question into google search engine Australia on the internet

Tim Wilson
Tim Wilson

All Corolla hatches built from December 2009, have side airbags, traction control and electronic stability control (ESC).
The traction control and electronic stability control can be turned off by a switch on the dash.

March 2010 saw the sedan get traction control and electronic stability (ESC) as standard.

garyf

garyfasked

I have 2 2008 corollas. one uses 8.8L/100 km and the other 6.8. with similar driving. both autos.no service centre i have been to have been any help?

Mike
Mike

There are lots of factors that impact fuel use. Check tyre pressures, try a few tanks of 98 octane fuel to help clean the fuel system. Look at what you are carrying. Does one car have more stuff in it?

Pacemaker
Pacemaker

Mike is right. To many factors to take in. I've found that driving habits can contribute greatly, acceleration, braking, traffic & passengers. A distant of city driving is certainly not equal to the same distance on the open road. Also other factors, such as maintenance items like air filter, spark plugs & as Mike has mentioned tyre pressures. Hills & leaving the car in drive are notorious fuel guzzlers on automatic cars. I know the hand book says other wise about leaving your car in drive, but sitting for extended periods at lights will chew fuel.

Glenn

Glennasked

I have a brand new corolla Hatchback in 2011 and after a year there is a moldy smell whenever I turn on the Air conditioner. We already flushed the air condition system (4 times) and replaced the air filter but after a couple of weeks its back. I already tried opening the vents for days but the smell will still come back. its worst when its hot or I turn the heater. The dealer said that they don't know whats wrong and can't fix it.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

andrew99
andrew99

One possibility is the drain hose is blocked from either kinking,coming loose or getting something in the end.(is there any wet carpet ?)There must be water getting in somewhere (do you park under a tree)as that smell usually happens after not using system for a long time.Try running the system while parked(outside) and after mabe 5 mins you should see the occasional drip of water usually under front passenger area depending on the humidity,this would prove if it's blocked or not.

JT

JTasked

Corolla E120

What is the gas mileage of the Toyota Corrolla Accent Wagon? Thanks!

John Pryer

Hi! The Corolla does about 5.5L/100km on the run and about 8.0L/100km in the city: not too bad for an automatic. You might have to convert that to MPG.
And it's still going great, just done several trips interstate (Australia) clocking up 3500K without a hiccup. THX for your Q.
J

Karl S

About 6L/100km on the highway and 7.5L/100KM around town.

Dean millerasked

Has anyone experienced the traction control coming on at random times causing the motor to rev without accelerating? This on a new 2013 Corolla Ascent Sport.

Aussiebob

It was recommended by the Toyota Salesperson not to use traction control unless the feature was really needed.
Have not experienced the TC coming on while driving and have not heard of any other issues with the TC.
Hope this helps.

kevin

kevinasked

Corolla E120

How often does timing belt need replacing? l have 2004 ZZE122R Ascent that has 155000ks .

nfaruqi
nfaruqi

I have owned my corolla since 2006 and have been serviced by toyota and they haven't changed the timing belt yet. I have done 180,000kms. I think until there is any issue with your timing belt it does not need replacement. Just double check with your mechanic.

John Pryer

We replaced the timing belt at 100,000k during a major service. You might need to find out from your car's service history if this was done or not.
See the Toyota website or see link here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2039727 for further info.
Cheers.

Yuri
Yuri

The ZZE122R does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain which does not require replacement.

Beveasked

Are all steering wheels 2013 Toyota Corollas flat at the bottom

brian

Not sure though if the car isn't giving any major problems I would not worry about it / if you still want an answer to that question you could try contacting Toyota Australia or try typing the question into google search engine Australia

Jan De Costa

Jan De Costaasked

Does the 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sports have a timing chain or a timing belt? Also people are making comment that the dash has no lighting at night so they can't see the speedo also the window is too small for reversing.are they still problems with the 2013 ascent?

shaper

Sorry I dont know ours was the 2012 model with all of the above problems. The dash is so set into the
dashboard you cant see even during the day.

Dean miller

My 2013 seems to have enough lighting on the dash at night. The rear window is quite small.

Burnt-Twice
Burnt-Twice

Who needs to see out the back window when a reversing camera comes as standard. You get no reversing assistance with a Mazda 3

troy doherty

troy dohertyasked

I have just purchased a 2007 toyota corolla manual hatch & notice when changing up gears the revs increase by aprox 500 rpm when i engage the clutch but ok when going down gears anyone got any ideas??

shaper

As mine was a 2012 automatic model I cant help sorry. Take it to a Toyota dealer and ask them...

worried sheila

worried sheilaasked

How do i know if my car is a MY 11 or MY12 or MY13???? I want to buy a corolla. the dealer assures me that the car was built in Dec 2012 complied jan 2013. Does this mean it is a MY 13 beacuse it was made after Aug 2012? Or can it still have MY11 specifications?

Beve

On the inside of the back door you will find a metal plate this will have the build date and compliance date on it.

brian

Or you could look at the back somewhere under the bonnet

brian

It's called the compliance plate

katy16

katy16asked

Where is Toyota Corolla 2012 model made?

Haribolman
Haribolman

I believe it is still made in Japan.

brian

Yeah I agree with the other answer / I am pretty sure Toyota cars come of factory complexes in Japan somewhere

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives