5Toyota Echo XP

Toyota Echo XP (1999-2005)

5Toyota Echo XP

93% · 660%

jsambell
jsambellVictoria, 367275 posts

Lizzie
LizzieSouthern and Hills, SA4 posts

ButterflyKisses
ButterflyKissesQLD, 41185 posts

I love my Toyota Echo. Never broken down in the 8 years I have owned it. Runs on the smell of an oily rag. Brillant little 5 speed manual. The only problem is my 6"4' husband has trouble driving it & also my son of the same height.
Economical, superb looking car, stylish, compact design
Could have more leg room Show details
cazzam
cazzam6 posts

We've had this car for nearly 10 years and it has never failed us. Thought about replacing it when we moved from Sydney to the Blue Mountains as we need to travel to Sydney once a week, but it has served us well and is very economical. Will probably buy a Yaris when the time comes and sadly, we have to replace our Echo.
Interior space for a small car; brilliant fuel economy especially on long trips; turns on a sixpence; easy to park especially in the city; with regular service feels like it will go on forever.
Not much "grunt" on steep hills; no light in boot or makeup mirror on passenger side. Show details
Walter_jnr
Walter_jnr2 posts

justsaz
justsazAU101 posts

lwylie7
lwylie7VIC, 394135 posts

StHilarious
StHilarious3 posts

Brilliant as a second car!

We bought the Echo second-hand with 23.500 kms on the clock and have done another 100.000 kms, returning consistently 6.6 l per 100 kms. The car is brilliant to park and behaves very well on bitumen. It feels flighty on dirt roads at speed, but that is acceptable for such light car. The doors and hatch door feel tinny, but the built quality is excellent. Don't buy this car if you need acres of sheet metal and a V8 to bolster your failing self-image, as it is not a status symbol.
Fuel economy and price.
 Show details ·  1
Andrei Railean
Andrei RaileanNSW, 200720 posts

Aberfeldy
AberfeldyAU15 posts

Fantastic and honest little car

I bought my car four months ago and it has covered 10000 faultless km commuting between my home in the mountains and a big regional city. It starts first time and is easy to drive, but overtaking needs some planning. The interior is surprisingly large and it fits big loads with ease.

The only slightly annoying feature is the digital fuel gauge, which is erratic which nearing empty.

Otherwhise, no hesitation at all in recommending it. Mine only had. 55000km on it when I bought it, and it felt like new.

I will be careful to get it regularly serviced!
Fuel economy, reliability, ease of drive
Fuel gauge erratic Show details

jinsui
jinsuiSouth East Queensland, QLD20 posts

bronty_saurus
bronty_saurusAU59 posts

Reliable car that's cheap to run

I bought a 1999 model 2nd/3rd etc. hand. I hardly ever use it, but it has enough power for myself and my partner to go up a hill without struggling. I've had 5 people plus luggage in it, and it went OK, but nothing special.

I like the fact that it's pretty cheap to run - although mine runs a little better on premium.

I don't like how there's no high beam light - I've accidently had the high beams on many a time, and that the electronic petrol guage can sometimes read 3 bars to flashing in a matter of turning the car on and off.
Reliable, cheap to buy and run
No high beam light (1999 model?) and electronic petrol guage. Show details

yingyang
yingyangMetropolitan Adelaide, SA2 posts

Great style especially sportivo with all the little extras, that almost make it look sexy. Great package overall. Oh what a feeling...
The sportivo model, which include lather electics and very good front sats compared to base models, make for driving a pleasure. Long distance driving adelaide/brisbane return no problems and great economy. 705 km on small tank.
As an owner hard to fault if under person is under 110 kg. Show details
luck33ro
luck33ro

Best small car in town. Excellent consumption. Greath versatillity inside. New model 2006 has more space inside and bigger trunk!

Show details

c808752
c808752

Good

Would buy another one in 4 door amd automatic with larger than 1.3 litre motor. Great for learners to get confidence and experience. Priced suitably too.
The echo is economical, and a fantastic car to drive
Only 2 doors is a pain getting in and out for elderly. 1.3 gutless for overtaking Show details
shellsreview
shellsreview5 posts

Good

This is a great car if you are looking for something economical. It is quite on the highway, easy to drive.

However it does have a bad blind spot and check your extras.
Fuel efficient, easy to get around the city in and park, never skips a beat, the blue is brilliant as it never looks dirty
Terrible blind spot and at certain angles it is hard to see because of the rims on the windows and shape. The fan belt on the 2004 model does come loose regularly, no standard clock in 2004 model. In direct sun it can be hard to see the speedo. Does not come standard with quite a few things you think that it would so double check everything, auto windows, handles etc. Show details

Hatchbacks

Find out how Toyota Echo XP compares to other Hatchbacks

lil_lazza
lil_lazza374 posts

Good

Overall a fantastic small car thats also a great price. Generally it is very reliable and has fantastic fuel consumption. The only problems are extra leg room and boot space needed, more comfortable seats and reduce noise.
Fantastic fuel economy, never seems to brake down. Was a great price. Transmission runs very well
More leg room and boot space needed! Seats are very hard and uncomfortable. Always noisy, everything rattles in the car. Show details
janicerick
janicerick

Prettypearls
Prettypearls86 posts

Good

My parents bought me the echo rush 2005 in navy blue, which I would of preferred a different car. I love this car because it's small, cute and very reliable to drive.
Fuel efficient, reliable, affordable, easy to maintain, nice interior, nice design on the outside, digital meter display.
It is a small car so it is more dangerous on the road compared to the regular sedans and bigger cars. Car may be too small for big people/tall people. I'm quite petite so it's perfect for me. Back seat may not suit tall/big people it is a small space. Show details
bigfatpig
bigfatpig73 posts

Good

This car is very fuel effifient, and super spacious for a small car. I would recommend this car to anyone who will be mainly driving in and around the city.
It's very spacious inside for a small car.

The backseats can be pushed forward to create a big space in the boot. I also love the digital speedometer, but it's a little hard to see when there is sun right behind you.
Turning the handle feels very heavy.

Being a small car, it doesn't have much power to speed up while going up a hill on a freeway. Show details

bailey79
bailey79QLD, 417923 posts

Toyotas are great cars. I wanted a small economical car at a great price and could not go past the Echo. My car is 7 years old and it still can scrub up to look brand new when I put the effort in to clean it. It's basic and practical and cute. And it has a bit of guts when I need it. A++
Nifty, economical, attractive look, spacious. A great little car that gets me from A to B on the smell of an oily rag.
Steering starts to shake a bit when going over 100kms but that could be a wheel alignment issue and not the car itself. Show details
heytherek
heytherek369 posts

I had one of these as a work car and it was really zippy and easy to get around in. These cars are pretty cheap bought second hand these days and they still have a nice sporty look about them. Plenty of room inside and they are great long distance. You do get moved around a bit driving in very windy conditions but for city driving they are perfect as they are so easy to park and use. Very economical as they do not use up a lot of petrol.
Easy to drive, economical, look good.
The car does wobble a bit in bad weather. Show details
chino101
chino10135 posts

Good

Ive used this type of car regularly. I have noticed quite a lot of faults such as its either leg room or boot space on the 3 door variant, the back door you can see the mechanism on inside, poor interior quality (it is a cheap car but most are better, no electric windows, less space than Kia Rio which is cheaper, alot of road noise at highway speeds. There are a lot of good things about these cars but they are very expensive compared to similar, more spacious and practical cars.
technologically advance motor, digital display, toyota reliability.
used prices are very high. Show details
Tess_x
Tess_xSydney Surrounds, NSW33 posts

Great price for a great quality car, in Toyota. It's easy to drive, comfy seats and has loads of features.
Economical, Easy to Park, Zippy Engine, Loads of Compartments, Great to Drive, It's a Toyota!!
I wish I got the 5 door Show details
celzz
celzz83 posts

OK

A good car to get you from A to B. Very economical. It's a small car so it is not very powerful for long drives, but if you're on a budget, I'd recommend this car for a single person or a couple
Small, compact, great run-around car
Not very powerful Show details
mellymoo85
mellymoo854 posts

I bought the 2003 model second hand and its fantastic. It drives like a dream and never seems to use much petrol. Theres heaps of added features and the boot is so much bigger than you think. I love how the back chairs move the give you extra boot space too. I probably wouldnt of got the 3 door if i had kids but i hardly ever have anyone else in the car with me so its perfect for me.Id recommend this car to anyone.
I love it!! Its small, easy to park, fun to drive, lots of storage
i shouldve bought the 5 door!! Show details
Hatchbacks

Find out how Toyota Echo XP compares to other Hatchbacks

CourtneyWhite
CourtneyWhite39 posts

Once again I traded my ute down to this car for work purposes, Driving an hour and a half to work every day was killing my bank account in fuel, but the echo uses a lot less. In City driving i was getting about 7 litres to the 100k's but in country driving it was (which is the majority of driving) it was about 5.5 to 6 litres per 100 k's. It really is a small car, definitely not for putting kids and the rest of the family in for a vacation away but if you are needing something to go to work in thats cheap and fuel economic then this is it.
Very fuel economic, small and compact, you can park on a $10 note!
Engine can be a little under powerful but for a cheap fuel economic car it's worth it. Show details
Hoppy
Hoppy9 posts

Excellent Car... Great, safe, first car for young people OR a great car for cheap running around cities. Comfortably seats 4 people with good range of accessories
Great little car, sporty feel, excellent fuel economy, comfortable easy ride, great brakes, safe car compared to many in it's class
Has a few blind spots compared to others Show details
myredcar
myredcarSouth East Queensland, QLD15 posts

xpontology
xpontology

Good

Got the auto sedan for $18,100 new back in September 2005. Very pleased with the overall performance & comfort. Saving heaps on fuel costs.
Lots of room for a small car. Excellent fuel economy. Runs on an oily rag. Plenty of power for cruising down the open road. Great paint job. Very easy to dive & park. MP3 player, great sound.
Minor rattles now & again. Fuel gauge starts to blink when it still has 8 to 10 litres left in tank. Show details
armenti
armenti4 posts

OK

not something i'd feel safe driving my children around in, but a decent car for middle aged women looking for a cheapish runaround.
a tidy little car that is easy to drive. the steering is very light (which is also a negative because there's no communication between the wheels and the driver) and the clutch is effortless. average amount of space for passengers. toyota mechanicals are nigh-bulletproof.
despite the claims, the engine really does lack punch and it sounds like you're sewing, not driving.

i know it's a small car, but the boot space is less than i expected it to be. despite the small engine i found that fuel consumption was a bit more than i anticipated. Show details