Best car ever

Such an Amazing car, built tough
I’ve generally drive around 3 hours and day
Only get the car serviced once a year and I’ve never had any problems
Best and most reliable car I have ever owned
Would recommend getting the diesel as it does chew through petrol pretty fast

Engine Size4.0L V6 Petrol
Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great Ute

My hilux is a 2017 6 speed manual , that hasn’t missed a beat other than a hand break adjustment. Fuel economy with 30,000 km was around 10 ltr per 100, after driving from Melbourne to Darwin and all over Kakadu and back doing over 12,000 kms fuel economy improved to 8.5ltr per hundred. This is with accessories of side steps Tjm alloy bull bar with winch dual batteries,side rails rock sliders ,Tjm rear bar ,carryboy Ute slide safari snorkel , harrop front locker.,long rang tank, dobbisons mrr suspension. Get your dpf sorted with a basic ecu flash which was done to my car after its 1000k service , it should activate every 300km or so . This motor takes around 50,000km to fully run in and loosen up.for what it worth my mates 2009 manual hilux used around 50 dollars more to fill up every time and yes we have the same size tanks.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Good Vehicle

Cant really fault this hilux and its the best hilux I have owned (have owned 4 Hilux's previously).This is a 2017 SR5 manual with a Canopy and has done 35000km. Has more power and better fuel economy than any previous hilux. Is good on fuel, averaged 8.7L/100km since new which is good as I often tow a trailer and have towed up to 3.2T. The only issue that annoys me is the DPF burn off when it idles at higher revs.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

MMM..

I bought a cab chassis with alloy tray in late 2015 2.4 went very well however the dpf cost me three trips back to dealer before they replaced, had seat cushion replaced Im 105k?? I found seating cramped and fancy new dash with all its angles makes it feel worse. Fuel economy good 2.4 D not 2.8 D which appears to be vey thirsty. The standard tyres were awful wore out quickly and very scary in the wet even with but ride and power good and it felt like a Toyota, which I have bought every model since 1989 2wd or 4wd. I do wonder whether they are as well built or is it just a great marketing program we continue to fall for. The best certainly were the JAP produced models prior to 2004. I had a great run with those models some how I feel these are not the same. ( I sold this ute recently and bought a Triton 17K cheaper couldn't afford $48K for similar vehicle.)

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Rust problems

I bought this truck new it is the Extra cab in decuma grey, All good except for a rust problem were the front window screen meets the roof. This started at what looked like a stone chip, and local Toyota said the same . Not long after two more so called stone chips appeared on the same line but 50-70mm apart from the first one but on the same line as the first immediately above the screen . Again local Toyota and Toyota UK say they are all 3 stone chips . And they will not repair under warranty

I think the odds are remote to have 3 stones on 3 separate occasions to hit the same line not the screen . The truck was new in march 2017 and is coming up to 28000 miles. I dare not power wash the screen roof area in case any more paint rust comes off.
This is my 11th and could be me last Toyota . Shame

Badge(No Badge)
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Ute

The new model and series is a leap from the last line of hiluxs and With more comfort and technology out into the car it really makes the Ute more better then the last, takes the hits and keeps on moving and that’s what you need in a Ute especially for a tradie

Engine Size2.7L Petrol
Date PurchasedJun 2016
DriveFWD

Indestructible

Our '95 Hilux is without a doubt the greatest workhorse we have. 360,000km and showing no signs of slowing down whatsoever. 2.4l petrol engine, this thing is absolutely unreal. Once she inevitably does go, will be investing in a newer model Hilux because I've had nothing but joy with this one!

Date PurchasedAug 2009

Fuel Economy Issue

At first I believed the new Hilux was the best released, fully equipped with everything you would need, but after 1000km's I began to see some issues. A few small items (loose door seal, windscreen wiper motor fail) then after 10,000km's I began to notice a much larger problem. Fuel economy stats on all web pages say that you should get between 8L/100km and 9.5L/100km, however my fuel economy is at 14.5L per 100km. This is not localised to my vehicle, it's a known issue with Toyota but they don't make it public. I had my car serviced for the 10k and I asked the question "is there an issue with the fuel economy on the SR5's?" Yes, it's a real problem, we have complaints all the time. Their response is that they need to connect the car to a machine for the whole day to correct the issue. However it's not permanent. I decided to test it out as many people said that I do a lot of city driving which will be the cause, so I drove from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast and back, 220km and used over half of a tank. I got 450km from this tank. I drove from Brisbane to Tweed Heads and back a week later, I used 3 quarters of a tank, I received 440km from this tank. At one point on the highway I could see the fuel gauge moving down. I have never seen anything like this before. I have had every Hilux since 2004 and raved about them, this one I can't say I'm impressed. The lack of knowledge from Toyota themselves on the problem and considering you pay $60K for a vehicle you would think they would look at a permanent fix for this problem. I'll be doing my research next time, but I would say this is the last one for me.

Southside Toyota Brisbane is hopeless

I had my vehicle serviced on 23 Aug there. Before that day, there was smoking from the exthoust. Only 10 days later after the service, the smoke comes back again. Even the guy who called me from Toyota Australia surprised when he learned it smoked only 10 days after the service.
Don’t go to Southside Toyota, don’t buy Toyota.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Drive4WD
Spent over an hour read through, I just wondering is there a lawyer in this forum. So many problems for the new Hilux, something need to be done.

Where is the reliable proven bullet proof Hilux of yesteryear???

On the strength of the Hilux of old I bought a brand new one in Feb of this year 2018. I didn't even sit in the vehicle beforehand (Double Cab SR). In the interest of fuel efficiency and emissions it has the dreaded "Common Rail fuel system". It cannot tolerate the smallest spec of dirt, 6 micron (6 thou of a millimetre) will kill the system. Likewise the smallest droplet of water. Toyota fit a fuel filter to catch 30 micron and larger, but will not warrant against dirty fuel. The dealer tells me I can have fitted a second filter, but nothing finer than, you guessed it, 30 micron. There is a water detector in their filter, good that gives me a warning. Sorry NO, any extra filter must be before theirs!!! Why??? I had the filter fitted by ARB, fitted in half the time quoted by the Toyota dealer, and cost. The vehicle is controlled by the computer. This vehicle was bought to take me hunting in rough country. When I asked about fitting UHF radio it was suggested I use an auto electrician as Toyota might squeal warranty infringement. At this point it`s under a three year warranty but after that I`m on my own. How much faith can I have in this contraption as moisture and dust infiltrate the electronics as it inevitably does. Can I trust it in the recesses of Barrington Tops and Victoria`s High Country, I don`t think so.

Engine Size2.8L Diesel
BodyTow bar; Canopy; Bull bar; Racks on Canopy and Cab. Very very expensive.

So far, so good

This is a daily vehicle; used for mixed driving. I purchased it after going for three years with a Prado that was a dog of a thing due to the DPF issues that plagued the experience (see my other review).

I purchased this car because of the manual DPF switch in it.

What I like about the vehicle so far is that it has a far better power to weight ratio that means it is a very torquey engine and has good performance. The fuel so far is a bit of a downside, it seems to go through more than I wanted it to but I am only doing suburban driving so far.

The drive is spirited; not as lumpy or bumpy as I was lead to believe from all the car reviews. Overall, I've been impressed by it and hope that the DPF issues do not present itself!

Features I like:
Cupholders in dashboard
Interior lighting
Power to weight ratio
Power button that isn't really giving more power, just adjusting the throttle. However it's a nice feature
ECO light
Ease of functionality

Downsides:
Car phone cradle can not be fitted because the dashboard has no straight lines or places that inhibit other functions
Foot rest of left of drivers footwell interferes when using the clutch as if your heel is balancing on a small ball
Rear reversing lights do not illuminate enough - am having to have other fitted
220V not practical
USB charging points have low voltage so a phone needing full charge takes a long time
Lack of USB points - would prefer more

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Drive4WD
1200kms Going well. Fuel ok. I'm starting to discover the lack of useful storage space inside problematic. Ideas such: Under seat drawers Bigger centre console Rear storage Maybe rear window to tray? Straighter dash lines to assist in add on storageSo, here we go. Its with heavy heart that I say enough is enough. The Hilux with its undeniably punchy, fun-to-drive, nippy run around has finally had its day. No, I didn't crash it. Nor did it get stolen like so many of its brethren appear to have been. I have actually had the decision made based on two practicalities. Firstly, the storage has really got to me. I loved the cup holder below the vents - a really simple yet ingenious design I thought was first class (I think I should get out more), but it is where it begins and ends. There seem's to be this constant struggle for space and therein lies the issue. The Prado was a wagon/suv/4wd. It was enclosed with these hidy-holes that any self-respecting moron could have stored anything into. In the Hilux, those hidy-holes are removed, as is the roof and so everything I thought I'd find space for has simply not eventuated. Yes, the two cubby holes under the rear seats are useful and with some effort I was able to get in jumper cables into one of them but frankly, everything else has been left rolling around on the back floor or seat. That might be fine but with one issue. The Dog. The Dog hates being in the tray. I could buy a canopy but it lacks the heating or cooling to keep my ever-so-cute mutt in a comfortable place. When it's raining he's in the back with a seat cover which defeated the object of why I wanted a ute. So in the absence of space, and space meaning for my stuff, and a comfortable place for my mutt, I'm ditching the Hilux. It'd be great for anyone who is just planning on using it as a work vehicle sans dog, but for me? I can't justify having it and either exposing my mutt to the the high or cold temperatures, nor am I particularly happy having him in the cabin when I'd otherwise of preferred having him in the tray. So, my plan is to ditch the hilux and return to a Prado, or go even smaller (I'm not sure why at this stage) and look at an Outback. But while I'm stilling pondering the meaning of the universe, the hilux and my next vehicle....there's one thing about this hilux that really annoyed me and, if I'd known about it before hand it would have been a deal-breaker. The spare wheel. Eh? You might retort, well the simple fact of the matter is that you need to have that keen-of-eye ability, that sense of mechanical know-how to be able to work out how to deploy the spare wheel. You see, unlike most vehicles, the spare being in the bottom of the wagon, sedan or on the back of the 4wd, this spare wheel is underneath. So what? Well, to deploy said spare wheel, you need to extend the neatly packed tools to extend a bar that then by sheer miracle or blinding-infuriating trial and error (as was my case) to be able to hook the tool, into what seem's like Mordor to be able to unwind the cage in which sits the ring. I mean, spare wheel. Once you've hooked up, you need to spend an inordinate amount of time unwinding the cage to release the tyre that you've then got to drag from underneath the vehicle and then, once you've done that and earned yourself a high-ranking medal, you then have to change the almighty beast. What's more....the tyre I changed? It's an 18" road tyre. Whether this was Toyota having a crack, or the dealership but they put on 18" road tyres onto a ute. That's a daft thing to do as most AT tyres go up to a reasonable 17" with fewer offerings above. So, if you're thinking of using your ute for work/weekend getaways you might want to have a think about the price of the unit, plus then the cost of changing not only the tyres, but also the rims. Come to think of it, that 52990 price tag suddenly feels less cheap when you factor in new tyres (2000), new rims (1000) plus canopy (4000). A few less coffees and the odd smashed avo and you've priced yourself into a Prado. I just wish I had had that insight earlier.

Avoid at all cost

Worst mistake of my life buying a 2017 diesal hilux, the new engine seems slower than the older model hilux and ride quality doesn't even exist. On top of this expect to be at a dealer every second day of the week for dpf issues, rust issues, gearbox issues, vibration issues, fuel consumption issues, quite possibly the worst dealer mechanics in the history of the automotive industry who couldn't change a light bulb if their life depended on it let alone diagnose and fix issues with the car. The list goes on, and to note ive only done 13000kms and have never towed or been offroad.

DO NOT BUT ONE!!!, just look at the majority of reviews below and it should tell you enough about the car and why you should avoid it. If it wasnt on finance I would've sold it by now and never looked back.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

A disgrace to the Toyota Brand

I agree with the review by Luke.
Ute is gutless, thirsty and poorly designed.
Back issues from the seats, yes.
My 2008 Hilux with the 3Ltr motor was far superior
Fuel economy is terrible, no where near what the 2008 Hilux could achieve
Not to mention the issues with DPF sensor, suddenly the car starts blowing white smoke like its on fire, people pulling up saying "there's a problem with your car"
Toyota's response "you will have to wait 6 weeks for us to order the new sensor"
Paid almost $60,000
Paid extra $3000 for a hard tonneau cover that doesn't lock and Toyota seem incapable of fixing it
Don't do it

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Drive4WD

Disgrace to the hilux name

This new ute is gutless, thirsty and poorly designed. It has caused me endless back problems as a taller person getting in and out, and has caused back problems in a shorter workmate. Poor seats, poorly timed gear changes with the automatic, detuned to 30hp less than the previous model, serious lack of fuel efficiency (13.1l/100k) and a lack of towing power make me enjoy my 99 hilux so much more. Especially when its 3l non turbo motor left this new ute for dead on a motorway on ramp... save yourself the trouble and buy something else...

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Toyota vehicles are better

We only own Toyota vehicles for work and personal use at this time and will only buy Toyota vehicles in the near future!
We find they are more reliable and last a lot longer without repairs or replacing broken items!
They just seem to be better quality and more reliable over a long period of time than other brand vehicles!
Melville Lock Service highly recommend Toyota hilux and other Toyota vehicles!
Mark Berkovic
Melville Lock Service

Date PurchasedJan 2000

Love this car!!

Easy car to drive and even easier to clean!! We bought the SR model as a farm ute but now i drive it everyday. My kids often eat in the car but because of the flooring I just sweep it out and use wipes to clean ot. So much easier than carpet! My favourite car to date!

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Drive4WD

Rust Problems on chassis on all welded joints

Taken back to dealer and was fobbed off as environmental because I live at the coast and tow a boat to the salt water. Last Hilux was 7 years old in the same environment and had no issue. I will take this issue further and hopeful get the problem sorted properly with Toyota.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Can't Fault

Love my new Hilux such an enjoyable drive, tows my 2.7 t caravan with ease. I'm in the mechanical game and I think they are the best utes on the market ,certainly long-term as well ,I see way less issues over the 100000km mark as other brands ,performance ,interior ,looks .very happy with my Toyota

Poor

Poor fuel economy that Toyota are aware of and have done nothing about. Only ever run 98 ron petrol in it and hasn't done any work. Stock as with alloy tray and only used to commute to work. Only get 450km per 80 litre tank. 90% of my driving is highway. The ride is shocking. Radio is useless and doesn't pick up stations even in the city. Speedometer is out by 8km p/h. When these issues had been raised at the dealership i was fobbed off and asked to book it back in. This is my last toyota. I have had 3 hiluxes before this and wouldn't buy another.

Engine Size2.7L Petrol
Date PurchasedJun 2018

Good workhorse.

Bought 2nd hand when 2 yo and still under warranty and v happy. Enjoy the way it drives and auto is nice to have. No fuss and easy to clean with vinyl floor. Seats comfy and radio reasonably good.
My model doesn't have electronic stability control which I would like as I have needed it a couple of times in wet weather - the truck is deceptively heavy and can lose traction esp in front end.
I have done 110k so far and no problems. Recommend.

Date PurchasedDec 2015