See the Best Utes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Ron G

Ron GSydney, NSW

A little love lost

Loved it when I first got it. Good on highway, good on fuel (diesel). Regular services under warranty. Then the letter came about the first of three recalls and then it became a headache.

Purchased in November 2016 for $38,000.00.

Noise Level
Comfort

Simon

SimonCentral Queensland, QLD

I love ggn15r Hilux It has the 4.0 litre v6 petrol engine

I use my Hulu everyday for work and leisure. The 4 litre v6 engine won't get get you as many KS to a tank as some other double cab utes but when you need the power it is definitely there. It's roomy in the cab and engine bay for changing oil and filters although the rare seats do lack a little space. Bad points are it's rather heavy on fuel and parts are expensive but I guess what is in the these days.. I would definitely recommend these to trades or family's for camping or boat towing.

Purchased in June 2017 for $35,000.00.

Noise Level
Comfort
Tim

TimPerth, WA

Lies lies lies

Purchased in January 2017.

BoughtNew
Year2017

Warranty is questionable

BadgeSR
Engine Size3.0L Diesel
Date PurchasedApr 2015

Unfixable Brake squeal - buyer beware

Toyota “genuine service” have failed to stop the break squeal after 4 attempts.

For the last 32,000kms my fully optioned diesel auto sr5 with “leatherette” interior has sounded like a squealing 50 year old “sh$tbox”.

RRP on this car with my Toyota genuine upgrades was $80k (I didn’t pay $80k)

Terrible experience.

Feel like I bought an 80’s hilux rust bucket that’s been running beach tours for 30 years

Caveat emptor!

Date PurchasedJun 2016

KIKI

KIKI

Wow, very bumpy!

With no load in the back, the drive is just terrible. My brain is being smashed against my skull in a most aggressive manner, over roads that I know are smooth. You can feel every tiny crack, bump or crevice in the road. I have asked if there is any suspension adjustments that can be done, but it seems not (any suggestions, apart from filling the tray with concrete?) Under load, it's great and it was a bargain (only $22,000 new 2018).

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Like Father like Son

Engine Size3.0L Diesel
Date PurchasedAug 2003
Drive4WD

Love the hilux, but it’s not perfect.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A/C Clutch fuse/Relay 2006 Workmate

The clutch has stopped engaging and I cannot locate the magnetic clutch relay or fuse. Please help and Thank you. I have checked all other fuses and they are fine. A/C light coming on in cab but clutch not engaging. I have probably looked at the right place 50 times now but still haven't got it.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Purchase of New Car Mosman Toyota

I use the Car for work and off road.
I use the car every day and I travel a lot to regional areas for work and some places don't have the roads sealed.
The car gets services at the due warranty mileage or date.
I love the car, it drives and handles all conditions.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Petergun1000

Petergun1000Sydney, NSW

Dust by passes Air Filter

Not so unbreakable any more. Dust particles by pass the air filter and put the vehicle in limp mode. No fix yet from Toyota

Read this article to see why.

You would think this would be a recall or and upgrade of the Air Filter unit but not yet.

Shame Toyota Shame.

BadgeRugged X
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Wheres the Warranty ?

If these bloody Hilux's are so unbreakable why do they not have a good warranty like the Holdens & Fords ie 5 years unlimited Klms. From what i have seen of them it would send Toyota broke. As these things are continually broken down. Even brand new ones go into limp mode as soon as you do a bit of dusty driving ? You see heaps of second hand ones with less than 200,000 klms on them advertised with new or rebuilt engines. Clutches always stuffed before 100,000 Klms ? Unbreakable, what a joke.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Renter

Renter

Best car ever

Such an Amazing car, built tough
I’ve generally drive around 3 hours and day
Only get the car serviced once a year and I’ve never had any problems
Best and most reliable car I have ever owned
Would recommend getting the diesel as it does chew through petrol pretty fast

Engine Size4.0L V6 Petrol
Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great Ute

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Gary

GaryDevonport

Good Vehicle

Cant really fault this hilux and its the best hilux I have owned (have owned 4 Hilux's previously).This is a 2017 SR5 manual with a Canopy and has done 35000km. Has more power and better fuel economy than any previous hilux. Is good on fuel, averaged 8.7L/100km since new which is good as I often tow a trailer and have towed up to 3.2T. The only issue that annoys me is the DPF burn off when it idles at higher revs.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Date PurchasedMar 2017

seandouglas

seandouglasSydney

Ute

The new model and series is a leap from the last line of hiluxs and With more comfort and technology out into the car it really makes the Ute more better then the last, takes the hits and keeps on moving and that’s what you need in a Ute especially for a tradie

Date PurchasedJun 2016
DriveFWD

Ross M

Ross M

Indestructible

Our '95 Hilux is without a doubt the greatest workhorse we have. 360,000km and showing no signs of slowing down whatsoever. 2.4l petrol engine, this thing is absolutely unreal. Once she inevitably does go, will be investing in a newer model Hilux because I've had nothing but joy with this one!

Date PurchasedAug 2009

Colin Marsh

Colin Marshasked

Will a 2017 SR5 rear Tub fit a 2016 SR Toyota hilux

KillaWhat

No idea. I've got a 2019 model.
I believe they changed the body recently (2018) so most likely it will fit.

Julian

Julianasked

Hi all , I’m considering buying a brand new SR5 2019 model , so far this is based on looks only . I plan on having it as my personal Ute which I’ll use for some camping,fishing and just every day use . What are everyone’s thought on them ? I’m concerned about the 2.8L engine compared to say the BT50 XTRs 3.2L engine .

KillaWhat

Julian, Have a read of my HIlux review. I cover all of that in there. And if you want, I also wrote a review for a 2014 BT50. I don't think they've changed that much (mechanically) to the new ones.

Nick T.

Nick T.asked

Hi all got a Toyota hilux kun26r just replaced cv shafts ,hub bearings,top and bottom ball joints the ute has a 40mm lift got longer cv shafts to suit
So what's happening is that I go to drive and the drivers side wheel is thumping up and down like it's driving with a flat tyre when I jack it up the front wheels lock
Should have anyone come across this if so any suggestions as to the cause

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives