7Toyota LandCruiser 200

70%12%18%

Paul
Paul
  LandCruiser 200 Mark II 4.5L Twin-Turbo Diesel GXL

A few few teething problems, but happy in the end

What's with no audio or phone controls on the steering, and the fuel consumption is nothing like it says on the sticker. That said the vehicle drives well, has heaps of power and just cruises the many highway kilometres that I do. I presume the next release of the GXL will have the gadgets expected in this price range.

John tyrell
John tyrell

High fuel use

Anyone that says a v8 3 tonne 4wd only uses 11 litres per 100 is a liar. I get 15 litre per hundred not towing and about 25 litres per hundred towing a 2t van---great vehicle, can't fault it apart from how thirsty it is. Toyota said its normal. The figures of less than 20 litres per hundred when towing are going down hill in neutral with engine off.

Kevin B
Stephen5 posts
Kenjy
Kenjy2 posts
  LandCruiser 200 Mark II 4.5L Twin-Turbo Diesel GXL

Overall it is awesome but no audio controls on Steering Wheel - big time retrograde step from earli

Absolutely love the car ( 18,000 kms in 4 months).

Comfortable,quieter,much better economy,hate the radio/hands-free operation.

The volume/on/off control is on the left hand side of the radio and with no steering wheel controls you have to actually look to ensure you reach the button.

You can buy a Yaris with steering wheel controls for under $20k!!

What a joke!

The use of the radio controls whilst driving is unsafe!!

Col
ColSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts

Seat problem 2014 Toyota Landcruiser Sahara

Bought a New Sahara in 2014. From the first two weeks a lump formed in the seat and when I asked about it I was informed they would replace the seat cover for me. This was done only to find that another lump formed in the seat, similar to the last. After two years now and a lot of patience and visits to the dealers, (who were very good to me) having all seat covers replaced, I spoke directly to Toyota who have informed me that it is in the design and there is nothing more that they can do. Appart from a very ordinary Gps, the vehicle does perform well.

Gypsy
Gypsy
Nate
Nate11 posts
Strategy
Strategybrisbane
  LandCruiser 200 Mark II 4.5L Twin-Turbo Diesel VX

Not as good as earlier models for noise

Have just completed 7000 km in 3.5 months - great engine and torque - vehicle very noisy unless in 6th but towing requires 5th gear - am disappointed in engine noise as very noticeable in 4th and 5th at 2000 revs-

Have had previous Toyotas and did not notice noise as much - last vehicle was v6 diesel with about 550 of torque and could not hear the engine.

Kibbs
Kibbs3 posts

VX 200 series Satellite Navigation is rubbish

Have had my 200 series diesel VX coming up 2 years. My 6th Landcruiser so I am obviously a fan but I cannot understand why they would put in a satellite navigation system that just does not function properly. This goes against everything that Landcruisers stand for. I lose GPS signal regularly and this has caused me some anxious moments in Sydney. Also directions by voice are quite late and distance to intersections consistently overstated. The whole unit has been replaced once and so has the "card". I have seen a Toyota advice to dealers that complaining customers should be told that it is a problem inherent with the unit and its "just the way it is." Very poor form and very un-Toyota like in my experience.

Wayne
WaynePerth4 posts

200 Series Electrical Problems

I have a 2010 Sahara turbo diesel. The trailer was connected and while I was putting the trailer tail gate up I noticed the lights on the trailer and the car flash. The Cruiser motor was off at this stage although I had the key in my pocket and it had been raining heavily (don't know if this is relevant). After I started the car the emergency lights would not turn off, the car remote would not work and the steering wheel stayed out. The interior fan also continued to run. Alarm went off occasionally. To park the car overnight I had to disconnect the batteries. Same problem next day.

Any answers?

Wayne - WA

Aaron.j
Aaron.j

Wish I had my jeep back

So spent $98,000 on my 2015 gxl with accessories trading a really good jeep grand Cherokee crd as I had been told how good these Toyota's were. Well it's thirsty 18.5 litres per hundred around town which goes up to 30.0 litres per hundred when towing. It's been in for a GPS fix, cruise control fix and rattles to be fixed none of these fixes have worked.

Larry
Larry3 posts
Kris
KrisIreland10 posts
Brian
Brian

Disappointed

I bought my 2007 LandCruiser secondhand with 68000 ks and have had it for 6 years done 190000 now. Kept up the services every 10000. Just recently it started running rough and I have been told it has had fuel contamination and has also been dusted. Mechanic has said you should run a pre filter on the fuel as they do not like any dirty fuel at all in the injectors at all and resetting the fuel light is a recipe for disaster. It needs to be changed immediately. Also the air filters do not seal correctly letting dust into the engine. Long story short, I'm up for about $30, 000 for a complete engine with turbos and rails.

Kevin P
Kevin P
  LandCruiser 200 Mark II 4.5L Twin-Turbo Diesel GX

Drivers Seat & Dashboard Warning Lights

My seat won't stay up. I pump it up but it just comes down again. I had the seat replaced under warranty but the new one is just the same or worse. Toyota now say there's nothing more that they will do even though the replacement seat is still under warranty.

The dash warning lights come on for no reason.

ScottyIllawarra, NSW8 posts
  Verified LandCruiser 200 Mark II 4.5L Twin-Turbo Diesel VX
Phil in the Adelaide Hil
Phil in the Adelaide HilAdelaide26 posts
Doug
Doug
  LandCruiser 200 Mark I 4.7 Petrol GXL

Best towing vehicle

Uses 22 litres of standard unleaded fuel towing 22 foot caravan at 95- 100 klms per hour. Very comfortable, quiet, plenty of power, corners well with KDSS, no issues except drive shaft. travelled 135000 klms. Quieter,smoother and less potential for expensive repairs than a diesel. Downside obviously is fuel consumption but the difference towing is not as big as you might think. I will buy another one in the near future

John B
John BPerth, WA6 posts

Disappointing

I have owned successive land cruiser models since the 60 series.

The 2008 GXL has been disappointing. Immediately after purchase I brought to the attention of Toyota the annoying vibrations. First around 1000 and the second around 2000 rpm. After much denial the WA Toyota spokesperson finally agreed it was a problem and that one customer had been refunded the purchase price. The fact is there is nothing else on the market that can do the , towing, job I need from a vehicle. The promise at the time was such that I would be first to know when a remedy was found.

I'm still waiting, it's October 2015.

And yes it uses oil. I would have by now updated my cruiser, but not till this problem is resolved . I test them regularly. I am a mechanic.

Lucky
LuckyBenalla

Vehicle is OK But GPS System is Absolute Rubbish

I have a new 2015 model, the navigation system does not give directions early enough to make use of them! I have missed a turn dozens of times due to the poor performance of this unit. Foe a vehicle in the price range that it is, the system should be the best that money can buy. Even a cheap plug-in GPS device out performs the Toyota one by a country mile.

max
maxPerth, WA2 posts

total waste of money

2008 TTD have done 160k and have had new injectors fitted $5.5k fuel gauge no longer works dust enters vehicle on gravel roads

I do my own services and replace the air & fuel filter every 10000 Ks, replace air filter more often when on gravel roads as dust gets through the filter (I do have a snorkel) fuel 15 lts per 100 k on a good day

I would gladly go back to a 100 series any day

200 series are good town vehicles just don't take them off road

WazzaOz
WazzaOzSouth West, WA5 posts
  LandCruiser 200 Mark II 4.5L Twin-Turbo Diesel GX

Fantastic

An absolute gem. 2012 Land Cruiser GX. Comfortable, economical (much more so than my old 6 cyl Jeep) and pulls our 3 + Tonne caravan with ease. Absolutely love it. My wife feels very safe in the passenger seat (she's not a good passenger). Wish I had changed to Land Cruiser years ago.

Peter Rigby
Peter Rigby

Revs high on 100kl then drops

Hi I copied and pasted this story because i notice my new 2015 GXL 200 series dose the same thing. I don't no if it torque converter or not,or it is hanging in 5 gear but if im in cruise control it sits on 1900 revs I increase speed and decrease speed it drop to 1500 revswill ask sevice department,but if anybody has come up against this please let me no. { I have noticed is the torque converter often slips at 100kph making it rev at nearly 2000rpm which is a waste on a motor with so much torque. By accelerating to 110k then backing off gets it cruising at a more reasonable 1500rpm.}

Don
DonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC6 posts

Great 4wd but not so comfortable

Bought an LC200 Sahara in 2013. excellent car, super 4wd but only 2 complaints. 1. Roof height is too low for my head (I'm just 6ft) and the engine vibrates around 1800-2000 rpm. Besides that I still love it. And besides that I still recommend you get one if you can afford it. In my job I drive a lot of hire cars interstate, RAV4, Pajero, Prado and the cruiser is a mark above all of them. Nothing's perfect eh.

ToddW
ToddW12 posts
burnsie
burnsie2 posts
Ruby
Rubysydney2 posts

Truly king on the road

Best 4x4 wagon on the road. Comfortable, powerful, great for towing and a dream to drive. I had a Patrol prior to this vehicle and was known as a Nissan nut. I have seen the light and could be considered a Toyota tragic due to this great vehicle - LC200 GXL V8 diesel wagon. The longer we have owned this vehicle the better the experience has become. We have towed our 2.5t Whittley extensively and the landcruiser does it without the feeling of towing. It has been a great investment and would recommend the GXL auto to any prospective buyer. I would also recommend the guys at Goulburn Toyota to make your purchase - ask for David.

Oggie
OggiePerth7 posts

Toyota Landcruiser 200

I have owned the 200 series turbo diesel VX since March 2010 have just done over 90,000 km with no problems. The fuel filter light came on while towing my 25ft caravan I immediately checked with my mechanic who told me how to re-set the warning light and then I had the filter changed at the next service no problems since. Barely notice the van behind when towing, fuel consumption gets up to between 18 and 22 litres per 100 km but that is acceptable with a big van like mine usually between 10 and 13 l per 100 km around town. Love it
Comfortable ride, excellent space. long range fuel tank 138l
Bluetooth connection with phone not good in call mode Show details
champir
champirSouth East Queensland, QLD
doug
dougharare

expensive car to run

yeah i have a 2010 lc 200 sahara and its quite a disaster.its running rough,consumes oil as if its the fuel.now it wont even start......No compression.Zero!Zilch!nobody seems to know how to get it going again.Is it the rings?injectors or what?

it has just too much " blow by" it unbelievable!

TIG65
TIG657 posts

VX2000 A great machine!

Huge improvement over the 100 and 80 series. Well built, quiet, smooth and fuel efficient for its size. KDSS does its job well and all previous issues with the early models are now resolved.

Overall handling is excellent with great lights and brakes that work well.

Minor grizzles include too many bells and chimes, loss of auxiliary ignition position with "smart key" which means you have to start the engine to wind the windows down or use the GPS. Another grizzle is the silly fuel consumption read out which defaults to 40l/100k when you fill up and then gradually gets back to a sensible reading.

I have had no warranty claims or complaints and can recommend the product

Silvo
Silvo

Brilliant vehicle

Very happy with vx 2014

Just put new exhaust and stienbouer chip to be different!

Gone instantly from 150 horsepower to wheels too 200 horsepower. Unbelievable to tow our van.

I believe if anyone complains about the cruiser they can't afford one and don't have the right to complain. We upgraded from a 4 cylinder patrol 2010 and don't look back!

Drove the Range Rover to compare vehicle and was equally happy but the $50k difference and knowing the resale value for Toyota was a simple choice.

Great choice of vehicle and I'll buy another in the future!

Paul F

OnlyworldQueanbeyan41 posts
Jimmyfahey
Jimmyfahey2 posts

2012 V8 petrol

First of all I'm writing this review in regards to my Grandfather's 200 series GXL with the UGR-FE 4.6 V8 petrol. He chose the petrol due to the unnecessary complexity of the diesel as he has heard and encountered too many horror stories.

Superb car. It is thirsty but relative to its size it does quite well. About 12 to 13 on a trip and mid to high teens around town. It does better on 95 octane. Huge power, bit of a torque deficit compared to the diesel, but that's about it. Really smooth, quiet and reliable. Haven't had a single issue in 130,000 KM's.

The six speed is much better than the old 5. Drives nicely enough for a big Wagon and it's super quiet and comfortable on a trip.

garry frost
garry frostchristchurch new zealand6 posts

2008 cruiser

put it through a HiLux test, rivers, mountain tracks, mud. As good as old Lux miles better in comfort and

just as economic even with the v8. A must have. The SUV that all the others want to be.