Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ WorkMate

Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ WorkMate (2007-2022)

Also referred to as: Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ WorkMate 2021 and Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ WorkMate 2023. Single-Cab, Double-Cab, Wagon, Troop Carrier (See All)
See the Best Cars in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Toyota

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

Pretty good- perhaps overrated

It's my first cruiser, although my job involves maintaining them, I've seen them devolve from the 75 series. Lighter and lighter in manufacture, but the reputation and hype ensures a high price for what you get.
I enjoy working on them, mostly because for maintenance they are well thought out, Accessible and logical.
I'd have to say that the suspension is archaic, the engine is poorly laid out- lots of afterthoughts.
Drives nice enough- but very basic and not as well 'tuned' as say a discovery 1.

Purchased in November 2019 for $19,000.

Dave
DavePerth, WA

Toughest 4x4 on earth, goes anywhere, insanely reliable

I bought this with 200,000km on it, I have had it for 9 years and it now has 412,000km on the original engine! This is by far the best 4x4 I have ever owned and the price of these vehicles is totally worth it, no other 4x4 comes close to the durability of the VDJ79. My mechanic showed me a comparison of suspension components from Hilux compared to my 70 series, the difference in strength is chalk and cheese. I have done basic services most of the time, this ute just goes and goes. The best thing about the VDJ 70 series is that they hold their value like no other vehicle... you can do 100,000-200,000 km and it might devalue $10k or less. Unreal.

Purchased in June 2011.

Year2011

Will never buy a toyota again

Had to have the rear brakes replaced and the rotors ground under 50,000K at my cost, the clutch is slipping under 60,000K and needs to be replaced with a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate at my cost, the brakes fail to stop the vehicle on rough gravel roads and are in my opinion dangerous, warranty void owing to after market exhaust and wheels installed. Will put another 100,000K on and trade it in on anything but a Toyota.

Body(79R) Single Cab Chassis
Date PurchasedApr 2014
J.H.
J.H.AU

Great Ute!

I picked up my 2007, 79 series V8 turbo Diesel ute around 7 years ago with 65,000kms on it. I've just hit 260,000km's. What an incredible work car it's been. Never let me down. Built like a tank, powerful engine & great to drive. Interior is basic, but suits my needs as a builder. I do things with it that shouldn't be done & drive it hard. I can't see myself changing to another ute anytime soon. The mods it had on it when purchased were a diesel chip, after market cruise control, tipper & rear airbags. I simply can't fault this car.

Body(79R) Single Cab Chassis
Date PurchasedSept 2007
Cars

Find out how Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ WorkMate compares to other Cars

Worst car i ever owned

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Jason
Jason

Still waiting for someone from toyota to rectify this problem as car is near undrivable

Nate
Nate

Best ute ever

It is a loud engine and once you get to highway speeds there really should be another gear to settle down the engine a bit and it has a big turning circle but it is extremely reliable and is very powerful. It copes with a load brilliantly. Definitely recommend one.

Complete Con

TransmissionManual

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

Clara V.
Clara V.7 Dec 2021

Ibby H.
Ibby H.asked
VDJ WorkMate Single-Cab (2007-2022)

Hi guys I have a 2008 79 series single cab turbo v8. My car sometimes won't start it will crank not fire up or fire up then stall within seconds. If i disconnect the battery and re connect most the time does the trick but could sometimes take hours before it fires up and runs. Sometimes when I turn the car off and key is still in the ignition in the off position the 2 efi relays start clicking and sometimes the 2 glow plug relays aswell.. but will stop when I turn the key to on.. even the key out I've also noticed when I put my foot on the brake with the ignition in off the relays start ticking away aswell.. its really annoying I've swapped relays checked battery terminals checked fuses checked ignition switch checked immobiliser sprayed contact cleaner on everything and problem is still there please any help will be much appreciated

Ozybloke
Ozybloke

Hi ibby. I wish I could help but have no experience with this type of problem. My mates 09 79 series has been to 4 mechanics including 2 very reputable diesel mechanics, for a problem along similar ish" lines as yours but they cant diagnose. It can be so frustrating I understand! Especially when you/we have another mate whom has a old td42 gq that hasn't missed a beat' not one problem in 15 years that he brought for $1500 in bermagui, and we said he was mad to drove 6 hours to get it. He proved us wrong. grrr, goodluck with it mate.

Riggsyasked
VDJ WorkMate Double-Cab (2007-2022)

Hi just this morning started and drove about 5 ks without drama stopped for about 1/2 an hr went to start herd slight ignition ( eng turnover ) then nothing lights on dash kept flickering on and off thought it may have been battery problem but theses are fully charged , had a gentleman assist me by jump starting it had running for apprix 1/2 an hr yet turning on and off there is a delay or sometimes nothing at at all between turing the key and engine firing up . Scan gauge shows no codes yet this has to be unplugged and put back in to work every 2nd or third time now !! Any idea's

Mkelly
Mkelly

Alternator cactus

Thanks Mkelly

See all Toyota LandCruiser 70 questions

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ WorkMate (2007-2022)

Compare all 10 Toyota LandCruiser 70
CategoryCars and Large / 7 Seater SUVsCars and Large / 7 Seater SUVsCars and UtesCars and Utes
Starting Price $69,525.00$73,542.00$74,581.00$76,408.00
TransmissionManualManualManualManual
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels16" Steel16" Steel16" Steel16" Steel
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Fuel Consumption10.7 L/100km10.7 L/100km10.7 L/100km10.7 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 130 L180 L130 L130 L
Engine8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel8 Cylinder 4.5L Turbo Diesel
Engine Code1VD-FTV1VD-FTV1VD-FTV1VD-FTV
Max Power151kW @ 3400rpm151kW @ 3400rpm151kW @ 3400rpm151kW @ 3400rpm
Max Torque430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm430Nm @ 1200-3200rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Ground Clearance230 mm235 mm235 mm235 mm
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Dimensions