2Toyota Prado J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre
Part of Toyota Prado 4.0

Toyota Prado J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre (2015-2024)

VerifiedAlso referred to as: Toyota Prado J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre 2023 and Toyota Prado J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre 2025.
2Toyota Prado J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Features

theo
theoPALM COVE6 posts

Toyota Prado Never Again

Toyota Prado VX 2018 goes into limp mode when towing a Caravan, the car is regular serviced by Toyota. ( what a waste of money) Our local Dealer doesn’t not know what the problem is. Toyota is well aware of the problems but will not fix it. DPF and other problems. That Engine is Toyota’s worst nightmare
The 2019 model has also the same problems. After driving Toyotas 4x4 for more than 20 years I believe there are better cars for that money.
Looks like we have sell the car to tow our Caravan again.
Amar
AmarMetropolitan Adelaide, SA5 posts

Good reliable car

June 2023 VX - bought brand new. Replaced our 3.5L V6 Kluger with 2.8L 4cyl Prado so can feel the difference in pickup, it is bit slow but does speed up quite quickly once above 60kms.

Pros:
Amazing ride quality.
Decent sound system (JBL)
Long range fuel tank.
Ability to go practically anywhere.
Quality/reliable brand. Owned/Driven(years) few Toyotas so from personal experience.
Good aircon and heating system.
Fridge- love it when we go off-roading or long drives.
Decent fuel consumption - 10L/100km mostly city drive.

Cons:
No memory seating for $80k Car.
Slow pick up
[Content Removed]/ancient interior
Wired android auto and apple carplay.
no boot space once 7 seats up.
Minimal storage at front. Show details

Dwayne
DwayneDarling Downs, QLD58 posts
  Verified J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre
Santhosh
SanthoshSydney, NSW

New Prado VX 2021 WoooW Experience

Brought my dream car and this is my experience.

I brought Brand NEW Toyota Prado VX within last 5 months and today it has done 7,000km . Since day ONE I found these issues

1) Horrible feeling of Forward jerk / jump each time when you shift gear from Park/Reverse to forward Drive gear . ? Could this be a Gear Box faulty . I took this to dealer they adviced it’s normal but as car enthusiast it’s not .
Issue 1 - Rough Gear Shift / Gear box not fine tuned

2) Hissing noice from Break Boost every time you apply break
Issue 2 - noisy Braking

Rest all is good . For all Prado Owners / buyers check this for yourself which goes unnoticed if you don’t pay attention.

How can I find solution ? . If anyone know please advice . Show details

Kunal
KunalPerth, WA9 posts
  J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Best comfort, smooth drive, looks brilliant

I bought in March 2019. Just about 1 year now. No problems so far
Car has extreme comfort. Money well spent
Love the beauty
Very safe car

Few things I did on my prado

Tinted windows
Ceramic coating
I fitted a catch can which picks up all the oil
Must need for diesel engines

Electronics in the car is old style Toyota Prado please do something about it. Interior is 3.5/5 stars.

Over all must have car for family travelling. Long drives

Sam
SamGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC3 posts

First impression

I bought 2019 VX two days back and I know it's too early to review but I'll share what I thought about it.

For the drive I give 5/5.
Comfort is not that good specially second row. It's $73 k worth vehicle and I don't understand why toyota does not make it with bit more comfy. I don't say it's comfortable if you drive long distance like interstate.

Previously I drove 2006 Camry, 2010 Accord and then Audi A4. Comfort wise Accord is the best.
I think Toyota need to think again about comfort in their future designs. Even the Prado top of the range Kakadu doesn't have leather seats and VX same. It's leather accented. Just about an one foot width leather layer in the middle of the seat. Show details

Iwantthegoodstuff
IwantthegoodstuffMelbourne13 posts
  Verified J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre
Gold Coast Chris
Gold Coast ChrisBrisbane24 posts
  J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Best decision I ever made (for a car)

I had a full sized Landcruiser for 5 years before the dealer that I bought it from tempted me with a trade in. I decided to down-size as well as upgrade the version, so I went for a 150VX. I love it. I love the leather seats, the hi-fi, the LED lights, the auto-setting steering wheel position and the KDSS suspension which makes cornering much more comfortable. I went for the auto-diesel, probably the most popular. I get around 1000 ks to a full tank and it is reasonably quiet. I pull a camper trailer with it and it performs well. If I was asked to list all the things I did not like about it there would only be one; the indicator beep is not loud enough, so there is a risk of leaving it on.

Rdv222
Rdv222Sydney Surrounds, NSW6 posts

Best family car

What a fantastic family vehicle.

Tows our camper trailer with ease, plenty of leg room for all the kids, economical and reliable.

A Recent trip from Sydney to Adelaide was a pleasure, easily the best car we have owned (and we have had a few).

Servicing customer service can be hit and miss, however get it serviced by a good local mechanic and they seem unbreakable.

Harry
HarrySouthern and Hills, SA5 posts

Terrible economy

I have done 45000 in my VX 2.8 litre prado and fuel usage is outrageous. My overall average for all of those km is just over 13 litres per hundred, this is similar to a 200 series V8. The best I ever achieved was 9.8 on a drive from Adelaide to Melbourne when it was under 10,000 km. It has gradually gotten worse. I have even been as high as 19.7 litres per hundred. I am so dissappointed by this car I am cutting my losses and getting a 200 series.

Show details

No questions yet. Read all questions about Toyota Prado.

Compare all Toyota Prado listings
CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVs
Starting Price $85,006$75,150$96,186$59,990
Warranty Distance Unlimited kmsUnlimited kmsUnlimited kmsUnlimited kms
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticManual
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels19" Alloy17" Alloy19" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Fuel Consumption7.9 L/100km7.9 L/100km7.9 L/100km7.9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 150 L150 L150 L150 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.8L4 Cylinder 2.8L4 Cylinder 2.8L4 Cylinder 2.8L
Max Power150kW @ 3000-3400rpm150kW @ 3000-3400rpm150kW @ 3000-3400rpm130kW @ 3400rpm
Max Torque500Nm @ 1600-2800rpm500Nm @ 1600-2800rpm500Nm @ 1600-2800rpm420Nm @ 1400-2600rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Phone ConnectivityAndroid Auto (Wired), Apple CarPlay (Wired), Bluetooth and USBAndroid Auto (Wired), Apple CarPlay (Wired), Bluetooth and USBAndroid Auto (Wired), Apple CarPlay (Wired), Bluetooth and USB
Security FeaturesImmobilizerImmobilizerImmobilizer
RoofSunroof
Steering Wheel AdjustmentTelescoping (Electric)Telescoping (Electric)
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg2,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Safety Features
CamerasRearRearRear
Cruise ControlAdaptive (ACC)Adaptive (ACC)Adaptive (ACC)
Parking SensorsFront and RearRearFront and Rear
Hazard PerceptionBlind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Forward Collision WarningBlind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Forward Collision WarningBlind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Forward Collision Warning
Lane AssistanceLane Departure Warning (LDW)Lane Departure Warning (LDW)Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Speed Sign RecognitionYes, read onlyYes, read onlyYes, read only