Toyota Prado

219 questions from our users

Paul .D
Paul .Dasked
Prado

Can i use WDH on my 2003 prado for towing my caravan or is it nit recomended by toyota ?

Tony Hasked
J150 (2009-2021)

Hi - anybody had an issue with rust? I took delivery of a new VX Prado in May this year. Done 2000 km. Never taken it off road or on the beach but the muffler/tail pipe is rusty, and the chassis frame also has some serious rust spots showing through. Toyota are saying 'not a manufacturing defect'.

Devonstone
Devonstone

Depends on what you mean by serious rust spots, has the paint come off, is the surface metal pocked?Mufler tail pipe? which is it? The tail ,pipe end will become discolored with the heat from the exhaust gases, suggest you get a professional view from the RAC or the like. In my 18 years of owning Toyota 4WD never seen this even with 385,000k on my 2004 200 Sahara sold to a friend in 2016.

Tony H

thanks for the feedback. Not sure I can post a photo here, but the muffler looks like it got leopard spots all over it and the chassis has some paint off with the rust coming through. I had a 2009 Kluger that I just sold and its muffler and underbody didnt look as bad as this. I'm worried that in 5 years the rust will be very serious

Button Family
Button Familyasked
J90 (1996-2002)

2001 Prado, headlight suddenly stay on when I turn off ignition and open drivers door. Door light works, and interior globe. What else can I check?

Tyler S.
Tyler S.asked
J90 (1996-2002)

i have a 99 model petrol prado. it runs fine but back fires on idel. ive changed knock sensors, maf, throttle body. fuel filter and it still back fires. any help would be appreciated

Cassie M.
Cassie M.asked

Does the 2014 gxl come standard with rear sensors. Built January 2014

Amin S.
Amin S.asked
J120 (2002-2009)

Hi guys, I have prado Diesel 2007 , I can hearing the water sound in the car and when I turn on the heater it take so long to be warm ,Can u guys help me plz

Anthony
Anthony asked
Prado

I have 2012 prado .when it drive and brake automatically AC geting on. Please advise?

Shannon B.
Shannon B.asked
J120 (2002-2009)

My prado 2009 turbo diesel 210.000km the blow off valve is leaking oil can anyone tell me why if so how to fix thanks

Shannon B.
Shannon B.asked
J120 (2002-2009)

My 2009 prado turbo diesel 210,000km blow off valve leaking oil can anyone tell me why?/how to fix

Josh d.
Josh d.asked
J150 (2009-2021)

Has Anyone dealt With Toyota Australia about a engine replacement due to a blown cylinder, its not under warranty but seems to be a common problem with the 150 prado

Melvin
Melvinasked
J90 (1996-2002)

I am planning to buy a used 7 or 8 seater SUV to take a he family on vacations and do off-roading as well. I have narrowed down to the land cruiser or land cruiser Prado but very confused which one to go for. If it's a LC series (80, 100 or 200)? if it's a Prado (j90, j120 or j150)?

Ozie
Ozie asked
J150 VX (2009-2021)

I brought Brand NEW Toyota Prado VX ( today it’s 4 week Old and has done km2,000 )

I have Noticed 2 ISSUE

1) Horrible feeling of Forward jerk / jump each time when you shift gear from Park/Reverse to forward Drive gear . ? Could this be a Gear Box Issue . I took this to dealer they adviced it’s normal but as car enthusiast it’s not .
Issue 1 - Rough Gear Shift / Gear box not fine tuned

2) Hissing noice from Break Boost every time you apply break
Issue 2 - noisy Braking

Rest all is good . For all Prado Owners / buyers check this for yourself which goes unnoticed if you don’t pay attention.

How can I find solution ? . If anyone know please advice .

Eldho T.
Eldho T.

Hi, I also have the same problem with my Prado VX 2021. My dealer has raised the complaint to Toyota Australia. I checked with my friends who bought Prado in 2021, some of them have the same problem and some of them are not.

Jeff
Jeff

Hi there, I find this problem too with my kakadu 2021. I find this really annoying and raised this issue as well with the dealer and with no luck. Anyway what I do is whenever I park the car, I always put it on Neutral first then apply the hand break, release break, then break again to place it to park mode. I know its confusing however it’s basically using the parking breaks wich is hand brake before shifting into park mode.

Lou
Louasked
J150 (2009-2021)

Does anyone tow caravan that has a ATM 2700kg with there new spec Prado e.g. 150Kw - 500Nm if so please share your experience.
1. Do you tow in 4th and what RPM is it at doing 95K
2. What is it like climbing hills e.g. is the right foot planted to the floor to get up to the top?
3. Will it tow in 5th on the flat? And what RPM is it doing at 95K

I currently tow with a JEEP, it doesn't work hard at all tows in 7th all day with 90 degree tran temp. However looking in purchasing a Prado

Your feed back and experience will be greatly appreciated.

John Wakuiraasked
J120 (2002-2009)

Hello expert, I have a problem with my Prado Land cruiser 1KD, its knocking and not a very present noise. We checked nozzles and serviced them, but the noise still there. What can I do with my mechanic?

Joseph D.
Joseph D.

Air conditioning could one side and hot the other side Toyota prado series 120 Gxl 2007

John Wakuira

Hello Friend, yes we checked by dismantling the engine and found the cause was the damaged piston, they call it piston slapping.

Grahame
Grahameasked
J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic (2009-2015)

I have a new 2.8L Turbo Prado Automatic. Only 2000 Klms . On a recent trip to the blue mountains after slowly climbing a moderate incline dirt road for about 10 Kls . I noticed the idle speed increased from about 600 rv. to about 800 rv. It then came back to about 600 after some time, when I was on a flat road . I did not have the Air Con. on and the (Dl ?) was not on , and had not been on for some time ? Why did the idle speed up please. Could it have been because the engine was hot ? The Temp gauge read normal , could have the fan been on and increase the rpm idle speed ?? gcarson@sd48.bc.ca Thank you,asap EKJ96B Grahame.

Dr waddo
Dr waddoasked
J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Manual (2009-2015)

Brought my Prado new 2015 last of the 3ltr , best car I have ever brought, I’ve got 138,000 klm on the clock , now that it’s out of warranty I’ll get it remapped, better exhaust , catch can I should of done along time ago ,
How ever my last service my mechanic said the injectors are louder than normal, to me this sounds like any other Toyota,

The mechanic said this to me when I had my 2010 hilux sr5 put new injectors in and it sounded the exact same no difference, I think it sounds just like a Diesel engine,

Shane G
Shane G

I just past 220,000kms on my 120 3lt diesel and my mechanic says all good with mine.

Andrewasked
J150 (2009-2021)

I have a 150 series Prado blowing smoke. Had the injectors inspected no fault found. Just put a carbon clean fluid through it and the black/blue smoke has gone grey in colour. Also installed a catch can filter which doesn't appear to be working. Anyone else had this issue. The vehicle has done 195K. TIA

hayd
hayd

Did you have a cracked piston?

Andrew

No im still trying to get to the bottom of the problem

DonLea
DonLea

We were having the exact same problem in our 2007 diesel prado. Be careful, our car blew up yesterday. Only done 246000kms. Keep going til you find the problem. Waiting for mechanic to get back to me today but looks like we are up for a new motor. Sooo dissapointed as we love the prado and have never thought about selling it.

Scott B.
Scott B.asked
Prado

i have a2001 90 seires prado which has broken the timing belt 3.4 litrewill the pistons hit the valves

Mick
Mick

Sorry Scott, I have no mechanical knowledge so I don't know.

MLM
MLMasked
J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic (2015-2021)

When having my Prado serviced the service guy told me we needed complete new brakes on the LHS as they had been heat and water affected. I was told this is quite common? He said we must have gone through water after using the brakes a lot and the heat had damaged the bakes and brake pads. I was shown a picture and he said the brake pads had slight cracks and the brakes had gone 'blue' indicating high heat and water exposure. I could see the very slight cracks on the edge of the brake pads but could not see a difference in the brakes on each side. The vehicle is 2 years old, done 20000km and never been off road. They have now offered to machine the brakes at their cost. Is this a 'thing'?

Dennis monsell
Dennis monsellasked

What will make a 3 liter Toyota diesel idle faster than normal

Karl
Karl

Pressing the "idle up" button by your right knee.

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

Toyota Prado