10Toyota Prado

Toyota Prado Questions & Answers

foskey1
foskey1 · J90 (1996-2002)

Working on my fathers car his Toyota is a uk 1997 land cruiser which I’ve been searching is the same as a prado j90. His issue is high rpm at idle 2 k or just under. I checked the throttle cable it is slack and could do with a tighten. Dad purchased a air intake hose coming from air box as old one had a split. Put new filter on and hose and no change to idle rpm. I’ve done alternator test to prove if the car charges at idle and it does not. When my father revs the engine to over 3k the volts increase reading from the main battery since his has two. At very high revs 4k I think I had seen a reading of 14volts but only 13volts as he increased revs from idle to 3k. He has put a brand new battery in 7 months ago but the car goes flat after some months of casual running. He stopped doing longer journey of late and it’s gone flat much quicker. Lot of YouTube videos point to throttle body cleaning and IAC unit sensor could be buggered or blocked. I would like to take it apart but I need some help with instructions. Pictures or videos of what to take out would be very helpful. Had a quick look and it seems that the manifold is set at a difficult angle which has caused me some headache. I need air box off then cables but do I need to take the manifold off just to access the throttle body unit? Any help would be great. His is a Diesel engine

Shayne d
Shayne d · J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic (2009-2015)

I’ve damaged the built in aerial in rear side window
Is this fixable ?

Peggy C B. · Prado

What is Toyota doing about the 3lt 2009 to late 2014 that did and still are cracking pistons? ours failed at 195000k's May this year 2023, unheard of in a diesel, the exaptation is around 500000k's or more. NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE On one web site there are 7890 members who are in the cracked piston club,(when we joined it was 7512 May 2023, gone up300+) this is only one site, I know Toyota will NOT answer this post but I'm asking them for the truth, when I spoke to my local dealer, Illawarra Toyota, back in August , he told me they know of the problem, they had one under repair and the cost to the owner would be app $20000 ours cost $13000 (by a company in Brisbane $6800 and fitting in Cairns by another), like I said earlier I don't expect Toyota will answer this,
take care to you all
Cheers
Bill
please explain to me why Toyota failed to implement a recall on those Prado's 3lt engine built between 2009 / 2014 re the cracking piston these units had, Toyota released a service buttetin on three occasions advising dealers to be aware, just forgot to mention it to the owners!! (EG-0008T-0112) first was in 2011

take care to you all
Cheers
Bill
Always available for a chat on this 0493446578

Burhan K.
Burhan K. · J120 (2002-2009)

i have a prado 2004 model and every time i start, its height control starts adjusting itself even through i am not changin or adjusting its height. Is it normal or is there something which needs a fix?

Its been 4 months now , still waiting for a comment from Toyota

Sorry. I don't know anything about the Prado you have listed

unhappy · Prado

We have a 2010 Prado (from new) at 195000K's the motor cracked a piston, the more i research the more common this is with the 3lt motor. service bulletin in 2011 / 2012 / 2014 / again 2014 and 2021 warning Toyota dealers of this potential problem, has yours cracked a piston? drop a note on this site thanks Bill

Rotuli
Rotuli

No we have no problem with our Prado but it has under 150000 km on the clock.

Sorry. I don't know anything about the Prado you have listed

Oh nice. Sorry wrong comment

Scott73
Scott73 · Prado

When I fill my 2019 Prado up it only goes to 3/4 full on the fuel gauge- but I can’t get anymore fuel in the tank. Any ideas why? Toyota just said to drive it til it was nearly empty and try again, but this didn’t fix it.

ngdhminh
ngdhminh · J120 (2002-2009)

How long would it take for the fuel heater turn off after starting on prado 120?

Ian S.
Ian S. · J120 (2002-2009)

Acceleration problems. Any help?

Mike A.

Check for leaking manifold exhaust connection... Put your hand on the tailpipe and have someone listen for the location of possible leak. Low back pressure = loss of acceleration power.

Grant W.
Grant W.

check suction control valve

boof.jb
boof.jb · Prado

Hello I have just recently purchased a 2001 Toyota parado and have never had a 4wd with a sun tank just wondering how I go about using it n how to fill it up

aglarkens
aglarkens

The 90 series prado has a different system to the 120 series. Yours has a switch but the 120 does it all automatically and works really well. I can't help with how to manage the tanks but if it is petrol always only fill to first shut off on each tank. Some diesel vehicles will take a lot more after the shutoff due to foaming. I can consistently get another 10litres in after 1st shutoff. My diesel is not a Toyota.

boof.jb
boof.jb · Prado

Have just purchased a 2001 royalty prado it’s petrol and automatic just wondering how I fill up the sun tank n how do I use it?
Have never had a sun tank in my car before

Steve · J120 (2002-2009)

Hi I have a 2007 prado 4000 petrol I have taken it to several mechanics and replaced cats, injectors, spark plugs and have no code's when checked but the car won't start without up to seven rotations when left to sit for 30 minutes to an hour ! The vehicle starts straight away when cold and restarts straight away up until left for over approx 30 minutes, The car runs beautifully not blowing smoke and everything tested so far is fine, any ideas guys?

Big O

Steve, like to help you Mate but not Much Knowledge on Petrol Prado's Just the diesel i have owned , Hop some one can answer your question and help you out

Mike A.

Did you check the MAF sensor? If its going bad it will have a hard time adjusting the right fuel & air mixture when the system goes from hot to cold or cold to hot... Weather temp changes will also cause trouble.

Steve

Brand new mag temp doesn’t seem to make a difference, fuel pressure good but still struggling to start

That’s maf sensor sorry

almur a.
almur a. · J150 (2009-2024)

Can I replace fan belt of 2008 in Prado 2010,?

Big O

Almur , i would suggest refer to the Manual for this one as you may need to do this change when out back and this will need a step by Step by the manual.

Roger
Roger · J150 GX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic (2015-2024)

I have a 2016 GDJ150, Diesel. It has a problem with idle speed. When it is cold and in Park, the idle is around 650RPM, As it is in drive, when stopped at the lights etc. When the engine reaches normal operating temperature the idle speed when stopped at lights etc is 1000 RPM., it is also the 1000 when in Park. The odd thing is when reverse is then selected it drops back to 650. Then Drive is selected and its still 650, but then climbs again to 1000 after a short drive. Any ideas on this problem would be appreciated. Currently this is destroying the fuel economy. Thank you.

Big O

Roger , I had a Pajero once and I had issues like yours where the exit gasket manifold , would pile up with carbon and then it had to be removed and they had too acid wash it , big Job when pulling other parts out to reach the source of the problem Or Have you looked at the Injectors ? My Nephew has a Ranger same thing sluggish down on low revs

Roger

Thanks Big o. I guess my first thing to try would be the injectors, I will buy some F10 injector cleaner and add it to the diesel. I have already cleaned the maf sensor and inlet air temp sensor. Didn't really help.. Dirty injectors could be the problem. Thanks again.

Renae young
Renae young · J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic (2009-2015)

Hi my fuel light is coming on when tank is just under half? Flashing orange?

Marisa
Marisa

Hi Renae, did you find out the issue and how was it resolved my 2011 Prado is doing this now.

Ross M.
Ross M. · J150 (2009-2024)

This is probably a dumb question but is there a difference between the 2015 and 2017 Pardo chassis.

Glenn K.
Glenn K. · J120 (2002-2009)

Sunvisors on my 2004 Toyota Prado Grande ... do not stay in position ... what can I do?

Biill
Biill · J90 (1996-2002)

Gday i have a 1996 toyota prado the headlights wont turn off even when the car is turned off key out if the head lights go off thay come on again or the battery just goes flat any information wear to start looking for solution thanks

Söhäïl Ä.
Söhäïl Ä. · J120 (2002-2009)

RPM shoot to 4000 when I start the engine and do not come down even engine is hot. Prado TXL 2005

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

Select a listing for your question
Toyota Prado