10Toyota Prado

73% · 21554 · 18%

Hamid
HamidAU3 posts

The best car I had

2004 1KZ, Done 230,000Km with it. running smooth, reliable.

Has been offroad with this car a lot never had a problem,

If the Auto box was 5 speed It would make a different car.

I like this engine is so simple and makes life easier with service and low maintenance cost

Brad
BradMelb40 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic

Ok but could be much better

Owned since dec 2015. The car is quiet and cruises nicely. Love the 150L tank capacity. Nice and roomy. Interior not too bad. A few things they annoy me incl.

- why can't you set the satnav destination whilst moving?

- the touchscreen is clunky

- when reversing with the radio from the night before on 1st start the next morning you can't click the radio off. You can only turn vol down

- I've had the car for 2 1/2 yrs now and still struggle how to switch off rear AC from the front

- engine is a bit weak for the weight of car

- dynamics a bit lacklustre

- ugly grill and front.

Fisherman
FishermanSouth Australia14 posts
Jeff
JeffSouth East Queensland, QLD6 posts

Great driving fun

The Prado is a great driving experience, both on & off road. On the road it is a smooth ride combined with surprisingly good handling & mobility. Easy to navigate through the city but the parking sensors are a must have. Off road, if you're that way inclined, it is dynamite, smoothing out bush tracks with ease & a blast to drive (my kids loved it).

Leah
LeahRockhampton7 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Manual

Needed the space!

We had a baby 10 months ago and realised we needed more space than our Hilux offered. Love the Toyota and didn't want to sway from it so had a look at the Prado. Love it for space. We can take everything (and I do mean everything) our bub needs on our long trips. The only down side so far is the short gears. Driving around town we are constantly changing gears (our fault for buying a manual).

Noel N
Noel NSouth-Eastern Region, NSW4 posts
  J150 GX 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic

Buyer Beware!!!!

Beware of Euro IV Compliant d4d diesel engined toyota prado... This engine is prone to piston fractures 100-150,000km and injector failure 120-140,000km..reference www.AustralianCar.Reviews.com .au

Do a google search "Prado d4d engine problems" before purchase...U have been warned!

In my case engine lasted 141,000 from new..always serviced by selling toyota dealership..so no excuse for toyota. I took toyota to fair trading for action and extracted some compensation never accept their standard out of warranty excuse...good luck! Show details

Jimmy
JimmyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA10 posts
Parag Yeole
Parag YeoleSydney
  J150 GXL

* Great performance. Looks big, but easy to drive. Very quiet with lot of space. Ideal for big family. Always wanted to buy Prado

* Interior is Toyota standard. Latest models have been improved.

* Car is reliable. Never had any issues. Regular maintenance will keep the car road worthy.

Nev
NevAtheron3 posts
  J150 Kakadu 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre

Prado engine and injectors are not fit for service

Great driving experience. Interior is good. Toyota phone system is poor there is a Bluetooth phone connection for making calls the connectivity with an iPhone is poor. There is no Bluetooth connection for playing music,You can connect with a cable. The Prado is about 10 years behind the times in this regard. Generally I am very happy with the performance since the engine rebuild.

My engine failed at 85,000 kilometres with a cracked piston and faulty injectors. This is a known problem. I believe Toyota have issued recalls in other countries but not in Australia. In my case Toyota supplied a short engine and injectors and charged me $3,000 for the labour only.

Pal
PalBrisbane38 posts

Nice - Good Handling - even in tight spaces

This is an excellent vehicle but would benefit from a panoramic camera view on all models. Currently only the VX and Kakadu have it. IT would also be good it it had auto door locking while driving and auto mirror folding when locking.
The GXL has provides most bang for your buck in the Prado range. The GXL does not have KDSS. and does not have option for it either. Only the DIESEL model is now available - but read about the DPF filter issues before you buy.

Edit: Toyota has done a DPF service and upgraded firmware. Now you can get an indication when the burn is happening.

Newer models have a manual DPF burn switch installed. Show details ·  1

Tough tough tough

Versatile family car

Good off-road

Good I’m the snow

Good all round family vehicle

Very hard to find fault

Replaced radiator, tyres, brakes and one wheel bearing in 6 years. Pretty hard to argue with that in what is now a 15 year old car

Funda
Funda7 posts
  J150 Kakadu 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Wow !!!

I've owned a few toyotas previously but must admit my brand new prado is amazing ! Not only am I in love with it so are my kids. My family even think it's the. est Toyota anyone has ever purchased in the whole family as we have all owned at least 3

Johndarwin
  J150 Kakadu 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Happy with my car

Hi all very happy with prado i purchased hilux at the same time and you can defiantly feel the comfort .Recently did of road trip and hit a wash out rather hard , went to use headlights at sunset not working .I checked fuses ok as had done a few river crossings, last resort tapped relays in fuse box and they came on and of we go .

September 7th 2018 Update: Another 10 kW would be perfect

Just completed great central road air suspension fantastic but strong head winds kept us dropping from 5th to 4th not towing anything which pushed fuel consumption to 15 to 16litre per 100ks at 90 to 100kmh , also dont expext your prado to be dust resistant as its every where, have a few days cleaning ahead, on the whole good trip

Natasha Davis
Natasha Davis5 posts

My Baby, My Life!

I have never ever felt safer or more comfortable in a vehicle. The space is an added bonus but there is nothing my baby can't do and no where she cant go. If and when i ever upgrade i will want something as close as mine as i can get because i just love it!

Rick
RickFrankston4 posts

Great 4wd and very reliable

I bought mine from new in 2003 and drove it for 9 years without any problems at all. Did lots of serious 4wding and this thing will go anywhere. I put a 2 inch lift kit in it for the big rocks in the victorian high country but other than that it was stock.

Ron N
Ron N

Why Toyota

Extremely happy with out 2018 Kakadu but it lacks some of the features the 2012 model has.

1. Only one CD at s time whereas previous model was 6 stacker

2. Can only connect 1 phone whereas previous model stored up to 4 phones

They are my only complaints as it is an excellent vehicle.

Sam O
Sam ONSW22 posts

Great Car

Like the looks of the car, very roomy and comfortable. Very practical and reliable. Its a 2.8 L turbo diesel. One full tank of diesel gives me more than 1100 kms city driving/urban driving. Although they have used so cheap material around the car. The worst part is that the paint is super soft, gets scratched easily. A bigger turbo or a 3.0L diesel engine would have been really good.

morrie
morrieCleveland2 posts
  J120

Generally a good reliable vehicle

Airconditioning unit has just died in my 2008 Prado D4D 3 litre turbo at 160,000km. Air con repair specialist indicated that it's a usual occurrence for my model at this mileage. He indicated that he replaces 50 per year of this series. Apparently same unit fitted to Klugers. Would have expected the unit to last longer than this.

phoebe
phoebeAtherton4 posts
Daniel
Daniel6 posts

Love my Prado

Have had 3 Prado's now and absolute favourite car ever. It can handle anything you throw at it. Really lovely to drive, great on road trips and heaps of space. 4WD capabilities are quite impressive, taken it off road and it mostly does what my mates Land cruiser can do.

Only cons are back seat is pretty small, and petrol is pretty pricey. Get about 1000-1200km on the dual 90L (180L) tanks.

Gold Coast Chris
Gold Coast ChrisBrisbane24 posts
  J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Best decision I ever made (for a car)

I had a full sized Landcruiser for 5 years before the dealer that I bought it from tempted me with a trade in. I decided to down-size as well as upgrade the version, so I went for a 150VX. I love it. I love the leather seats, the hi-fi, the LED lights, the auto-setting steering wheel position and the KDSS suspension which makes cornering much more comfortable. I went for the auto-diesel, probably the most popular. I get around 1000 ks to a full tank and it is reasonably quiet. I pull a camper trailer with it and it performs well. If I was asked to list all the things I did not like about it there would only be one; the indicator beep is not loud enough, so there is a risk of leaving it on.

Tania
TaniaSouth East Queensland, QLD9 posts
  J150 GX

Great reliable car. Economical for its size

My Prado is 7-ish years old. Runs well, no major issues. It’s a bit hard to park, due to its size. However I find it very economical to run, being a diesel. It’s also very roomy inside. I have slept in the back seat a few times, because it’s so big.

Ashley m
Ashley m3 posts
  J150 GX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic

Great car. Disaster for towing

Traded 2014 3ltr 5 speed auto which I loved for new 2.8.

new model has 6 speed auto which I found all wrong for towing.

At 90 to 95 km per hr 6th gear useless, battling to hold 5th and 4th too low.

Unlike old model I found new gearbox doesn’t work well in manual mode and has a mind of its own.

Result is gearbox wanders between 4th and 5th all day.

Engine and gearbox Just not set up for towing at this speed.

I tow a 2.5 ton van.

Great vehicle in all respects but not for towing u.

Tani W.
Tani W.Newcastle5 posts

Best Car I’ve Ever Owned

We bought a Prado because my husband wanted one - I was nervous about driving such a big car but pleasantly surprised that it’s an easy drive!

It handles well, comfortable to ride in, not too noisy, surprisingly good turning circle, nice modern interior. There’s so much space for our kids and all the stuff that comes with them!

Our 2010 model hasn’t really missed a beat yet, I’d definitely recommend a Prado and Toyota in general!

Debden
Debden10 posts

JJ
JJSouth Australia42 posts
melir
melir18 posts

Love this car

I'm really enjoying this car. We travel regularly, to both country and city destinations. Everyone is comfortable and happy. The long range fuel tank is a bonus. To date it has handled well on all types of roads in a variety of conditions. There is nothing that I can find to fault after a year of owning it. Long may this continue!

tcam
tcamSouth East Queensland, QLD19 posts

Well worth the moola

This is an extremely quiet four wheel drive, the steering is light and handles well in the wet and winding roads. The interior is very roomy we have a few adults in the family to accomadate and nno one is squished in any more- the back seat even slides forward or back.. The far back row (seats 6 and 7) are comfortable strong and can take full size adults as opposed to some other 'contenders' in the marketplace. I like the soft suede type fabric and the floor carpeting is very wearable. I havent had it for overly long - 2 services, both capped price with is great. The vehicle is light on the fuel which I was surprised by seeing as it is quiet a big car. All in All I love it.

Blue Sky
Blue Sky
Orvis
OrvisSydney32 posts
TLGP
TLGPSouth East Queensland, QLD21 posts

Super to drive

I am only 5 ft 2 and with the movable seats up and forward it means I find it easy to drive. The reverse cameras and sensors add that extra layer of safety when parking. I love that it has 7 seats for the I have extra children to ferry to sporting events but this does mean limited space for bags. Leg Room is excellent for back seat and if using 7 seats the 2 back ones have adequate room but not if very tall. built in GPS is not the greatest...Still prefermy Garmin.

Just curious

Has anyone had issues with oil leaks from the tappet cover? I just purchased a used 2014 GXL and have had the issue 1 week post purchase. Purchased from top dealer but just wondering is this a common problem? Dealer is happy to fix so no issue there. Just curious

hlm84
hlm84Gracemere8 posts

Smooth Ride

We bought this after owning a Subaru Outback. It is beautiful to drive. Although we rarely use them, I like the option of 7 seats. The back row is not as deep as the outback which is no longer a problem as our youngest is now forward facing, however something to consider if you’ve got rear facing seats..

Ness Taylor
Ness Taylor6 posts

Love my PRADO. Great Car

I love love love my PRADO. It is spacious inside with heaps of room for everything. The seats are comfortable and it drives really well. It has a big fuel tank so I only have to fill it once a month and it can cope with heavy towing easily. I always feel very safe in the Prado.

Kellie S
Kellie SSydney, NSW12 posts
  J150 VX

Great Large Car

Love Love Love my prado. It’s spacious, easy to use the functions of the sat nav etc. The rear seats are easy to fold up and down and when folded up there is still ample boot space to store a pram or shopping. The only thing I would change is the way the boot opens, I would prefer it to open up like the doors on the kluger!

Greg H
Greg H

Serious engine failure

Have had this Prado since 2010 and up until now it has been excellent. However, I was towing a 2.3 T caravan near Kings Canyon NT when all of a sudden white smoke appeared and the vehicle lost power. I was able to limp for a further 20 to 30 Km however the engine oil light came on (The first warning light to do so). I stopped in the middle of nowhere and fortunately for the RACV was able to tow it back to Ayres Rock. Prognosis at this stage is that one cyclinder is gone and probably a hole in the piston. Vehicle has only done 180K and the mechanic has informed me that they have a serious fuel injector leakage issue which probably caused my problem. Any feedback would be welcomed.

peter
peter
  J150 GX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic
Ron
Ron

Not a happy family

The interior would be the only satisfying component of the vehicle. We have had toyotas for many years only for the advertising. After owning the last prado for less than 12 months we had to trade, very disappointing the price keeps going up unfortunately improvements if any are a letdown, the spare wheel on the back door I would not call a feature put it underneath the vehicle where it belongs. After 40 000 ks when you need to replace the tyres change the spare while you're at it and get new brake pads at the same time. Take my advice and look at other dealerships much better and improved vehicles around.

KAYLENE
KAYLENEbathurst3 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic

Great heavy towing family vacation vecile

I enjoy driving the Prado on long distance (however the down hill override in the motor is very worrying as Toyota has told me this is normal)

I love the room in the front of the vehicle but believe the middle requires more room especially when you have adults or a baby seat in there

to date it has been very reliable car and the running cost compare to my last vehicle so i am happy with that