10Toyota Prado

Mikeperth7 posts
Mick 23
Mick 234 posts

Disappointed 2nd Prado

What a Lemon, two in a row. I finally got to know a salesman and he said he would never own one. The advertising costs is just ridiculous in the prado new today 63k drive away, come on Toyota there a 40k car not many improvements viciously in 20 years. 2.5 tonne towing, Rv owners beware not only fined by the rms towing 2.6 tonne. They are not designed for towing family rvs.

Martyn
Martyn

A car that beeps

This is a great car to drive and use for just about anything, except the BEEPS. Open the door it beeps, step out with the key in your pocket it screams. There are other beeps too many to mention and you can not turn them off. Oh and the maps in the navigation system are rubbish.

Ella
EllaSydney4 posts

Good for big family

I just want to say it is good for big family

It is hard to say which one is good or bad because different people have different expectations

When I choose the car I just ask myself what do you want

The big car, I concerned the parking space sometimes

Kath
KathBrisbane, QLD4 posts
  Verified J150 Altitude 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre
Andrew
AndrewSouth East Queensland, QLD7 posts
  Verified J150 GX 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic

Exactly the car I needed

My wife and I both love our Prado. It's a really smooth ride both in suburbia and off road. The turning circle and handling are both amazing and I feel safer driving it off road than I have in almost all other cars I've driven. We have the MY14 model with the touch screen dash and it connects easily with our phones via bluetooth, and allows seamless streaming of music. As with most Toyota's, the car is very reliable and economical (costs us less than our previous little 4WD). If your after a good 4WD with some bells and whistles, I highly recommmend the Prado.

Carol
Carolmelbourne4 posts
  J150 VX

Perfect car

I bought a second hand silver toyota prado on Feb.this year and my family all love it.It easy to drive even for me, a woman.I don't this the nose is too loud, on opposite ,I think the noise is very cool.About the interior is leather and large enough. It is V6 so it's very reliable and I always believe I can drive to anywhere.I don't care running costs because it is V6..

Fed Up
Fed UpPerth2 posts

Love it

Love my Toyota Prado. Drives beautifully, reliable - can take it anywhere from school drop offs to 4 wheel driving in the bush or beach. Servicing costs are far cheaper than previous Subaru Forrester. Only negative is it is noisy with rear windows down but we can live with that.

Cara
CaraAdelaide3 posts
  J150 VX

The Luxury of a Lexus with the versatility of a 4WD

Having always had Lexus cars we needed to a larger car with offroad reliability. Moving to a Prado has impressed me with how safe it feels, how luxurious it is and has all the features for true 4-wheel driving. Country driving is effortless and the kids have plenty of space now. Highly recommend!

Ewez
Ewez
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic

Simple but does all we need

Good on fuel. Comfortable to drive but second row middle seat hard. Cant fault anything else other than we really wanted pearl white but had to buy vx model as that colour not available in glx. Altitude wasn't available but is now. Wish we had of known that. All good

Kiwi983
Kiwi983Mid North Coast, NSW10 posts
Bert-Scott
Bert-ScottLilydale3 posts

Love this car!

Have only had the car for just on 2 weeks. The car is everything I have expected it to be and more. Very comfortable to drive and quite good on fuel for it's size. Only downside is the towing capacity but I knew that before I purchased it. very comfortable to drive and quiet inside considering it is a diesel.

Dave
Dave
  J90

Engine expired at 80000 km

Prado petrol 3.4l always smelt 'fumy' reported to dealer on many occasions, they said is a large engine and will produce a lot of exhaust. At 80000 km found metal shavings under oil cap, motor started smoking. Put some Wyn's Stop Smoke in it and traded it in and bought a Honda Euro.

Rdv222
Rdv222Sydney Surrounds, NSW6 posts
  J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Best family car

What a fantastic family vehicle.

Tows our camper trailer with ease, plenty of leg room for all the kids, economical and reliable.

A Recent trip from Sydney to Adelaide was a pleasure, easily the best car we have owned (and we have had a few).

Servicing customer service can be hit and miss, however get it serviced by a good local mechanic and they seem unbreakable.

Mark
Mark3 posts

Prado Brakes

Hardly driven! Kids to school and Brake Disks gone lumpy. Toyota Service guy says yes it is a bit of a problem but not under Warranty! Bought a Toyota to avoid these problems.

How do you argue with a big company; they don't care if they have a problem. They need to be held accountable for problems.

Taz
Taz

Cross lock damage

Cross locks possible damage. I engaged the when on dry serface & wasn't sure if I had dis engaged properly, driving it seems to have a slight wobbling effect. & high vibration at 100km plus. What do you think? Do you think I have done some severe damage? I want to take it in to Good 4x4 drive machanic here in Western Australia perth.

Jimbo
JimboPerth, WA363 posts

Toyota excellence

My first Toyota, a GKL petrol auto. So far 250,000 km since 2005 and not a problem. Have always used mobil 1 in engine and synthetic oil in everything else. Its like driving a comfy lounge chair around. Replaced the suspension at 200,000 km to Pedders and am still very happy with that.

truckie
truckie2 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic

excellent to drive any where

performance is terrific and very quite on road handles like a dream.plenty of leg room dash is easy to look at may be lights on gear console would help a lot. reliability is great and with long range fuel tank we fill up once a month normally unless you are touring

The Lounge Lizard
The Lounge LizardDarwin, NT8 posts

Tell me when a better looking 4WD hits the market

Purchased new in 2005 and 12 years later just done 120,000kms. A few issues along the way- dodgy dashboard (replaced with Toyota's assistance) and need for a re- conditioned sound system to replace the one that stopped working but otherwise no other problems. Tell me when someone designs a better looking vehicle (sorry Toyota the 150 series does not cut the mustard) and I may be tempted. In the meantime.......

Disappointed
DisappointedSouth East Queensland, QLD10 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic

Over priced and unable to tow a basic load that can be towed by an MUX that can be $15,000 Cheaper

This is a great vehicle that cannot legally tow a good sized caravan.

The engine and drive train are capable.

The vehicle tare is adaquate but a smaller Isuzu MUX can out specisify this Prado's towing capacity.

Market strategist are apparent.

Owned two new but no more, much too silly for me..

Rochelle Sunarya
Rochelle SunaryaCairns Queensland6 posts
  J150

I'm keeping it til the end

We are very happy with our choice, very expensive, but worth it. Just fit another battery so it helps when the electricity is used. I used to carry small gas bottle in the car when we go camping , but not anymore when you have plug in switch build in. So we carry an electric frypan, and a kettle for a hot cuppa, and our rice cooker,,, Very good and smooth driving, lots of space for tall people like me, I'm 186cm tall. Very reliable, GPS, Phone satellite , I would recommend this to anyone if they ask me.

Jimmx
JimmxSydney, NSW16 posts
Tombot
TombotLennox Head3 posts

Safe and easy to drive

There are no surprises. The handling and mechanicals are good; maintenance bills are reasonable. Better off road than some other family 4WD.

All vehicles in its class are roomy and comfortable and give the driver a good view of the road.

Maybe the airconditioning could be more powerful for an Australian summer.

Bally
BallyMundoolun4 posts
  J150 Kakadu

Air bag suspension

My rear suspension is high on left hand side. Toyota dealership all measured & agree airbag is high but nothing has been done. Said have to wait for Toyota engineers to work out fault, this was Sept last year(2016)would like Toyota to recall and service this fault, must be putting more weight on one side and maybe wearing tyres out on one side.

Marin
Marin2 posts

First and last Prado

I've had nothing but trouble with this vehicle, steering/cabin vibration at above 90km from new, Toyota has tried to fix it for the past months, balancing the tyres, rotating each wheel, supposedly reversing the driveshaft, done due to a technical bulletin issued by Toyota in March 2016 for the new 2.8L. A steering damper was fitted as a last resort as these hide many sins. Still not fixed and seems I'm not alone. Now I am getting dash and engine bay rattles, most likely due to the constant vibration.

Not something you want to go though with a new car.

This is my first and last Prado.

amsfromaus
amsfromausCanberra 2600, ACT19 posts
Mach 2
Mach 2Sydney
MightyJosh
MightyJoshSouth East Queensland, QLD30 posts

Ohh what a feeling

Just brought a 2015 GXL for the family. By far the best car I've own or driven.

It's extremely good on diesel. Has a good engine matted with a 6 speed auto. Very roomy for long drives. Heaps of fun off road too. Only downside is the lack of dash storage space.

CW
CW3 posts

Spectaculat Vehicle!

I purchased my Prado new 10 months ago and 20000km later, i absolutely love it. Drives great, extremely comfortable and plenty of room.

There is nothing i dislike about the interior but if i were to nit-pick, the screen could be bigger.

It is extremely reliable and as cheap to run as you make it. If you floor it at every opportunity it will not be economical but if you take it easy, then it is very economical and given it has a 150L tank, fills can be few and far between.

I very highly recommend the Prado.

Wayne
WayneCanberra8 posts
  J120

Great car petrol but costly air bag to rear not good

Reliability very good running cost of 4lt petrol very high compared to 4x4 these days diesel would be the better option no need for manual these days when using your car as a 4x4 4/5 speed auto is a better option fridge in consol is very handy on long trips.

Justin
JustinGold coast6 posts

O what A feeling

Well we thought we might go out and splurge and buy a Toyota Prado, they're not cheap, right at the end of our budget . We could of bought a much cheaper four-wheel drive and at the time the decision was hard. But we decided it was the one for us so we bit the bullet and purchased the car and wow what a 4x4. They really do look great, aggressive but still stylish. We added a ARB bullbar to the front which topped it off ,so I've got the next year to deck it out completely ,Winch ,Spotlights , C B, Lift kit or do I just leave it as it is.

Either way I'm happy...

John
JohnSouth East Queensland, QLD4 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic

Very refined engine and comfortable!

My vehicle is just coming up to 20,000kms and I am extremely impressed. The general engine refinement and automatic are excellent. One detractor is fuel economy but it udon par with the competition in this class. All round great vehicle and I have not looked back after owning a Patrol.

Lou
LouHunter Region, NSW6 posts

Harry
HarrySouthern and Hills, SA5 posts
  J150 VX 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Terrible economy

I have done 45000 in my VX 2.8 litre prado and fuel usage is outrageous. My overall average for all of those km is just over 13 litres per hundred, this is similar to a 200 series V8. The best I ever achieved was 9.8 on a drive from Adelaide to Melbourne when it was under 10,000 km. It has gradually gotten worse. I have even been as high as 19.7 litres per hundred. I am so dissappointed by this car I am cutting my losses and getting a 200 series.

Greenie