10Toyota Prado

J150 Kakadu 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre
jake
jake
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic

rubbish slow and horrible body roll

one of the slowest cars i have ever had makes over taking dangerous and roundabouts hell.also not very reliable see the workshop to much the cars handling is horrible the things is not good off road at all a holden captiva was better the interior is so ugly and cheap looks like it was designed in the 90s

RF Tourer
RF Tourer
Nman
NmanSydney3 posts
  Verified J150 Altitude 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre

Fuel consumption huge on Turbo Diesel

Even on eco mode 2015 Turbo Diesel uses huge amount of fuel. Taken it in for check and all - Toyota says working as intended.

Expect 10-12L/100 highway (no load other than driver) and 16L per 100Km for city driving, (1 driver two young kids), no other load).

Also Entertainment dashboard really suxs - GPS for voice volume hard to mute or turn down.). Its not part of GPS / navigation features, but buried in the main settings menu.

Unhappy
Unhappy
  J150

Poor incar accessories

This is the 3rd top model Prado I have purchased. The sound system is very disappointing compared to the last 2008. The voice activation does not reconise commands but when using Siri every thing is perfect. I purchased a nudge bar again requesting it does not cover up the front camera. I was assured that it would be fixed when manufactured. It wasn't then was told I was crazy to buy that option. The USB video option does not work.

Todd
Todd

2016 Prado underpowered

What a slow POS! I loved this car until I drove it on the highway. Absolutely no power, constantly putting my foot down to access the torque but ruining the fuel economy in the process.Transmission isn't the best either, experiencing flaring when cold between 3rd and 4th gear. Drove a NT (2011) Diesel Pajero for 5 years and whilst it wasn't as refined as the Toyota, the engine has plenty of power and still reasonable fuel economy. Seriously disappointed...

TQ
TQGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC13 posts
  J120

Super all-round suv. Tows heavy van superbly

130k done, 3 laps of Oz and plenty of other trips, on road, off road, often towing 22ft van. Not missed a beat and very comfortable. Built to last and the diesel is super...ignore the rattle when cold...cruises beautifully. Top buy. This is the model to buy if you are after a good second-hand Prado. Was going to trade on the new2.8L diesel but reviews have put me off, particularly towing aspects. So I'll keep this one for another 100k.

gazbo
gazboSouth West, WA4 posts

rubbish

This model is underpowered and the auto is a shambles when towing . It hunts between 5th & 4th gear even on a flat road and if in a head wind it is constantly in 4th . The claimed fuel economy is impossible to achieve . This is the third Prado i have owned and am bitterly disappointed.

Although my dealer has done everything to solve the problems it has all been in vain. The claim of 8 litres per 100 klms is dream land stuff for this car. If that were correct, towing I would expect 14-16 tops. My last trip of 8,000 kms my average was 21.8 per 100klms Show details

Daz
DazNewcastle14 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic

I sold 2016 GXL with ONLY 4000kms!!

Sold the new 2016 Prado GXL 2.8ltr model with only 4000kms as the new gearbox doesn't know which gear to be in at low revs! Hated driving it when it shuttered like it was starving for fuel, but it was the gearbox not holding in the right gear! They couldn't fix the issue. I agree with the other similar reviews its is rubbish. Underpowered should have increased the engine from 3ltr up not DOWN!!

MHP78
MHP78Melbourne
  J150 Altitude 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre

Prado Altitude Terrible Bluetooth Phone Reception

I have a 2015 Prado Altitude which has the JBL radio used in various Toyota models. The radio has a terrible echo & feedback for anyone who calls me in the car. I dont hear the echo in the car, it is only people who call me from either mobile or landline phones. The supplier (Fujitsu Ten) and Toyota Australia have evaluated the car and confirmed the problem but dont have any solutions. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with their JBL radios? This is my 3rd Prado and up to now I have been happy, but I am very disappointed with this model and Toyota Australia's response thus far.

Dazza
DazzaSouth East Queensland, QLD27 posts

What a 4 wheel drive

What an awesome all round suv. Have 214000k's on it now with no major problems. Parts have come down big time from Toyota,service my self every 10000. Cheap to service and run. Aircon ice cold. I need to put a lift kit in it as the tank sits a bit low. Awesome on the sand went around a Pajero bogged in the sand without any wheel spin. Wouldn't buy the current model prado as everyone I know that owns one said they should have kept this model.

747800Sydney, NSW68 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Manual
druid1
druid1AU3 posts
  J150 GXL

The best car I've ever owned

Just done over 200k

A good and reliable car. The fuel economy isnt great but it has heaps of towing power

Tows my 16ft caravan with ease

Great creature comfort level

Extremely smooth 6 speed auto trans

Versatile seating arrangement and comfortable to sit on with good level of lumbar support(good for long distance travel)

Mick
MickMayvale NSW5 posts

Just Brilliant

Bought in May 2012 got 85000+ k's on the clock now and she has never missed a beat. Not 1 single warranty claim or part failure to date. Always serviced in conjunction with the owners books at a local workshop not a dealership.

Wouldn't buy anything else tows great, awesome diesel consumption economy.

What else can i say, quality strong car and would buy 1 again.

Matt Z.
Matt Z.
  J150 Kakadu 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre

Excellent car. Beats Disco 4, Shoguns, VWs and GL Mercs in all respects

Old diesel but reliable. Relatively refined. Excellent off road. 9l/100 km on highways. 13l/100km in town.

Plenty of room. Done 55,000 km from new and nothing ever went wrong. Excellent, quality car for entire family that works in town and off road. There is not much to dislike about the car. If I had to say anything - if you do heavy off road, you'll need a winch and some mods (and they are not standard).

VIPROS
VIPROS
  J150 Kakadu 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

New 2016 2.8l 6speed/rubbish

I have been a Prado owner for 15 years and this is a shocker, underpowered and the auto gearbox does not lock into gear under moderate load making freeway driving unbearable and fuel economy terrible. I have complained to toyota with no response.

Towing is almost impossible. My advise is to give it a good test drive and tow your van with it before considering this vehicle. Also after sales response to my dissatisfaction non existent.

rcarmo
rcarmo

'05 VX V6 Prado - Everything I hoped it would be

Only had it for a month, but I'm initially very impressed all-round by this great 4x4 from Toyota. The 120 series (V6 & diesel) have a great build reputation which pulled me from the Pajero or even Territory, and the VX adds a few luxury items without going overboard.

Sure its gonna chew more fuel than I would like for daily drives (averaging 15.8L/100 around town so far), but thats expected from such a big car.

The beige interior is growing on me, I was worried at first, but it keeps clean like any other colour really

I'll update more later once I've got more running costs and kms under the belt.

Haynsee
Haynsee

Prado 150 you can't go wrong

This is the second one I've had. I've done heaps of 4wd driving in the last oneand not even a rattle.I negotiate the extended fixed price service and warrenty to 170k on the new one. I've just come back from Fraser Island towing a camper trailer this is when you love the big fuel tank.Super cheap to service,cheap to run and great resale. I would not have anything else.

ozLokie
ozLokie

Love my Prado

Bought the GXL new in 2011 and have never looked back. It's the most comfortable and reliable vehicle I've ever owned or driven. Toyota service in Darwin has been excellent to date. My only little niggle is that I need to be careful getting into the car as the driver's side dashboard has a corner near the door that is quite prominent & I knock my kneecap Ouch. She drives very smoothly and quiet, hugs the road has good pickup and a fantastic turning circle for a large car. She is very spacious and wonderful for a large family or to pack the back to go camping. Long range tank 150L

simoncc
simonccMid North Coast, NSW2 posts
T bone
T bone

The best 4 wheel drive

In 2/2013 I purchased a 150 Prado diesel auto GXL. I have a Hilux that had traveled 302000 kilometers in 4 years and did not miss a beat. Same engine as the Prado. I was very impressed with the reliability and service cost. So l bought a Prado diesel and I am very happy with it. Big fuel tank standard 150 liters 7 seats. Roof rack. Plenty of airbags. Quiet spacious. Reliable. Fix price servicing.

Wendy
WendySydney, NSW12 posts
SunnyMelbourne46 posts

Capable 4wd but with issues

Engine rattle and deafening knock can be heard when cold running the prado. Loved it till I got 35000 km and now facing this issue. Common issue with d4d engine as far as I have heard. Capable 4wd but not without issues. Be careful when buying used one. I bought brand new.

Pierre Noir
Pierre NoirMelbourne12 posts
Joddy
Joddy2 posts

Toyota Prado or massage machine

Just bought a 2015 Prado and will take in after 350 kilometers ( yes kilometers).

Have been in the motor trade for 54 yrs and have never driven a worse car. I should have test driven but instead trusted Toyota brand ( never again). The vibration in the car between 1500 to 2000 rpm is non stop . I find myself trying to drive the car outside that range and as a result the auto does not have a clue what gear to be in. Car will be taken to Toyota for rectification. After reading all the complaints about this problem I can't understand why nobody has taken a stand against Toyota. As I have to disclose personal and accurate information the why do Toyota not disclose this problem.

Nissan or Mitsubishi look good

J150
Tim
TimNSW, 22616 posts

Good but underpowered

2012 150 Series Diesel. Great truck but needs more power. Long range fuel tanks ideal for towing. Nearly'( bought a Jeep) Grand Cherokee but glad I didn't. The Jeep 3.0 diesel had heaps more power but has reliability issues and many negative reviews also inferior resale compared to the Prado. Noticed a lot of Jeeps on the market as soon as the warranty is up and no fixed price servicing. I wanted a truck that I could use to travel Oz with confidence and the Prado has served me well so far. Can't afford to change vehicles every 3 years so went with the Toyota. Not one warranty issue with the vehicle after 58000 kms which includes 20000 kms towing 2.5 tonne Van. Very Happy..

Dennis Harrison
Dennis HarrisonNew South Wales, 25834 posts

Best car I've owned

Bought a 2002 Prado in 2007, had 77,000 Km on it, now done 245,000 Km, I have towed caravans, car trailers with cars on them, it handles it all without a problem. The comfort is excellent and I hope to still be driving it for a long time. Like the old saying "When you're on a good thing, stick to it."

binhbui
binhbuiGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC21 posts

Toyota Prado MY2005

My 05 Prado GXL petrol is so reliable that it becomes boring. After 56,000km (yes I drive little) nothing happened, engine-wise, chassis wise. No rattle outside or inside, nothing comes loose, nothing broken,the wiper rubber still work perfectly, no streaking noise. Apart from the regular service, and recently the grinding of the rotors and wheel alignment, it is hardly a repair worth to mention. In summary, the best car I have owned in terms of reliability. My 1994 Falcon ED was the worst then the Mazda 929 MY 1990 among my 22 cars owned and drove in 30 years.
Superbly built, top rate in reliability, versatile and great off road capability
Rear gate is heavy with spare wheel, bad when open on camber. Show details
Loraine Davey
Loraine DaveySouth East Queensland, QLD6 posts

Glow Plug Problem KZ TE diesel engine

Nowhere in the service manual does it say to replace the gloe plugs. At 179,000km five milimetres of number four glow plug broke off and enbedded in the top of the piston. Everytime the piston came up the end of the plug hit the cylinder head. This sounded like an old fashion "big end knock." On pulling the engine completely apart, the broken plug was found.New piston, all new rings,bearings & gaskets & $8,123 later. Change glow plugs every 100,000km.Bob Davey.0432389139
great car
centralian11 posts
Very Jaded
Very JadedMelbourne7 posts
  J150 Altitude

Very Expensive but does what it is designed for extremely well

Previous car was a Pajero with an excellent DVD player which was great for Mp3s and long trips. Sadly lacking feature in Altitude. Transmission control and fuel economy while towing 3 ton Van also lacking in refinement. Comes with free tow bar but add another $500 for wiring package that must be used....V8 Diesel is a competent all rounder. Hid lights should have been a no brainer for such an expensive car... No door light when door open although plastic fittings and wiring are there. Just doesn't make sense.. at what cost for 4 led globes. Maybe it adds to the value of the Sahara. 18 inch tyres make selection difficult and expensive for off road use..

Juz
SteveEH
SteveEHAU26 posts
  Verified J150 Kakadu 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre

Perfect

I bought this Brand New from Coffs Toyota in 2018, and the car is perfect, i have no vibration issues at all, no noise issues at all. The car is extremely quiet at all road speeds, you could here a pin drop in it. Fuel economy is terrific averaging around 7.5lt per hundred. off road bloody brilliant it really soaks up the bumps and is super comfortable. I give my car and Coffs Harbor Toyota [name removed] 10 outta 10. He beat Ballina and Lismore Toyota by 8 grand. I am extremely happy.

Jas