10Toyota Prado

73% · 21553 · 18%

neil
neil
  J120

fit for purpose..so far love it!!

Got a 2009 kakadu diesel (2 weeks ago) - first impressions - not a sports car (knew that)...luxury features, bit slow/ cumbersome off the mark in suburban traffic but once up and running fine.. cruising excellent, view of road excellent, feels solid and safe esp in poor conditions..comfort, room and fuel economy/ range excellent.Plans are touring and some off-road combined with comfort ...couldn't afford/ justify price new..but second hand price, with anticipated RELIABILITY

Brad59
Brad59MELBOURNE7 posts
  J150 VX
jack darby
jack darbysydney5 posts

2006 gxl diesel

this is the 6th year I have had this car it has towed a caravan all over Australia it has now 21000klm on clock and has never let me down ever it is without a doubt the best vehicle I have ever owned but I don't like the new model it only has a 87 litre tank mine has 180 litre can get a long way without refuiling to date great car.

Greyingout
GreyingoutGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC6 posts
  J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre Automatic
Bob of gulf point
Bob of gulf pointMetropolitan Adelaide, SA59 posts

2014 prado GXL: excellent

Only done 2500 but it has perfectly done towing, towing off road, hill off road, highway cruising at 8lph without and 11-12 lph with van at 102-5 kph, round town. Hard to fault.

Show details ·  3

I. Tully
I. TullyGold Coast
  J150 GXL

Great 4WD can tow almost anything!

Got a 2011 GXL turbo Dielsel, absolutely love it. It handles so well on the road and then its almost impossible to get bogged on the beach. Was looking at Discoveries before hand and Im so glad I went with the prado!

Edward
Edward
  J150

Better than any other option

Kimbo,know what your talking about there,you have a Friday car, I am on no 8 Prado,all diesel ,last three auto they have all been brilliant except the 2012 which had the vibration and the 1500 rpm whine,Toyota tried hard, soundproofing new tailshaft ,you name it,Toyota recognised these things and suggested I keep the wireless on when driving,I do 100,000km in 18 months then unload them and they are the only make I get very good resale on,I have driven all the opposition for months at a time on FIFO and resale value and the big tank does it for me,was getting an altitude this time but the smaller tank stopped this,on the upside I got a very good Monday car when I traded up to the 2014 model, smoothest and quietest I have owned.

BM
  J150 Altitude 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre
pradolove
pradoloveGriffith

no competition!!

I bought my 2004 GXL Prado when it was 3 years old with 70 000ks on the clock. I absolutely love my car and honestly cannot fault it. I clock up a lot of kms every month and until recently (a minor event...broken fan belt) it has never let me down. I have towed a fully laden camper trailer to all corners of the country: long highways, rugged terrain etc etc ... absolutely no problems. The clock now reads 311 000kms and the car drives as beautifully as ever! It is easy to drive, so smooth on the road, no road noise and super comfortable.

When and if I can bear to part with it (and it would have to be a good reason!) I will look no further than another Prado.
super reliable, tough but smooth and comfy
nothing!!!! Show details

Not to impressed
Not to impressedBrisbane, Queensland4 posts

Great when going forward

I have a 2013 Manual Prado and as long as I go forward it is great. The issue is when I reverse. I can't even reverse my 6x4 box trailer into my driveway up over the gutter without the clutch burning. I have been told to put it in low 4wd every time I reverse which I understand will stop theproblem, but the irony is that my dads Isuzu can back his 2 tonne caravan in standard without an issue.
Cornering, safety fuel economy, most things
Reversing clutch problems Show details
spooled73
spooled73Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC24 posts
  J120

Great car very reliable,well built,

I have owned this car for 10 years,no problems,very well built,capable off road,lots of room,petrol version is a bit thirsty 13-16 litres per 100klm and front brakes wear quick in city driving and brake shudder has been a problem but overall has been a great car,can't really complain, would recommend this car to a large family.
Lots of room,rear seats come out easily,easy to park for a large 4x4, reliable!!
Petrol a bit thirsty,expensive to buy you get what you pay for.... Show details
Peta Weston
Peta WestonUralla

Buyer Beware

I have a 2005 model with 140000 kms on it and I loved it until I have discovered that the rear door is now faulty. The welding on the inner door near the hinges has started to split . cannot claim on insurance and am still waiting to here if Toyota will replace. Be sure and check the rear doors when purchasing a pardo

Show reply

hayley1111
hayley1111VIctoria, 356452 posts
  J150 Altitude

Perfect family car

Had the car since may 2012 and it is the altitude model. Never had a drama with it. Easy to drive and park. Great climate control. Beautiful leather seats. Easy to get kids into car seats. Great experience all round. Would only drive a Toyota from now on. Nice crystal pearl exterior.
ease of driving.

J150 Altitude 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre
GeorgeW
GeorgeWVictoria3 posts

Thimply the Besth

I went from 4 B M W 's (the last being the E61 530d) to the Prado. It is smoother, less road noise, better gear changing on the auto, just simply amazing. Just wish that I could afford a newer one. Fuel economy is just as good as any other car as long as you drive it in a sensible fashion.
Everything
no WOW factor on interior, but hey its not bad at all Show details
DDP
DDPDarling Downs, QLD5 posts

My favourite car ever!

I have the 3.4 GXL 2002 model. I reckon it is a fantastic car - great size, can go anywhere and doesn't cost the earth in fuel. Having 8 seats is really handy. Really reliable and everything seems to be over-engineered so it lasts. Is great off road - I have towed a fully laiden camper trailer on soft sand and it goes off like a zirtec! Love the long range fuel tanks. Air conditioning is excellent.
reliability, quality
interior is a bit dated Show details
Bugzee
BugzeeTaupo3 posts
  J150 VX
BaconLover
BaconLoverGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC99 posts

Confidence + Luxury = Prado

Very nice car. Ideal for family, short or long trips, bushes, what not.... Mine is 2004 Grande model, Love it. easy to handle. good on fuel for such a big car. Have not had any problems yet. I would never want to go and buy anything else but Toyota, have been using their cars for a while and totally satisfied.
Comfort
will tell you after 5 years Show details ·  13
sal6
sal6maitland7 posts

love it

We have a 2006 prado for our 6 kids. It fits them in well but will have to upgrade to something bigger as their legs grow. We can fit 3 booster/baby seats across the middle. There is very little luggage space behind the 3rd row. We have had it regularly serviced according to the book and have done almost 200,000 kms without an issue at all. We have an automatic diesel
reliable
pricey, little boot space Show details
paulh3
paulh3AU20 posts

Poor rear seating

We nearly bought one of these, luckily we sat in the rear seats and realised that the Prado is now a 4 seater - unless you have very young children (and can use 3rd row). The middle seat of the middle row is hard as a rock - not really a seat at all.

We wanted to replace our much loved but ageing 1998 Prado - thankfully we actually tried out the rear seats... it was a shock as our previous experiences with Toyota have been 100% positive.

The engineering team that created those fancy fold-up seats for dwarfs that loose lots of boot space should be fired.
Fuel economy of diesel
Rear seating is poor Show details

Au lord

NJM
Breck Abbotts
Breck AbbottsPerth

Keyless entry. i.e. No entry

Lost all the rear luggage area space with stupid seat design. In the old model. like 85% of users, we removed the two rear flip seats, only to be refitted prior to trading in. Keyless entry is rubbish as theree is no emergency back-up system if the remote gets damaged. What do you do if your stuck in the bush with a damaged remote, or you have lost your keys? Our automatic shift lever knob has all the paint rubbed off after 20000k (its an automatic???)Poor quality control.

Old model was far better than new model.
Great on rough roads. Reliable.
Expensive. Underpowered. No starting backup if remote lost. Show details

Tim1720
Tim1720

What do you do in the bush when you misplace your normal keys?

forestview
forestviewAU
  J150 GX
John Mcc
John Mcc

I have a 2011 150 petrol and agree that the Plastics mark easily, My rear seats vibrate, They require 12 Volt outlets in the rear, Can't find rocker or toggle switches to fit in knockouts. Would be good if toyota could fix in newer models

Baza
BazaSYDNEY

Prado seats

The stand alone seat on the passenger side in the back rattles and vibrates the whole time. The vibration is then sent along the whole 2nd row seats. Toyota said it is a manufacturing fault. Nothing they can do. Turning left or right a clucking noise is heard. We are selling ours never to buy a Prado again
Keyless entry tyre cover as standard
Seat vibration, clucking noise when turning. Decrease in fuel capacity. Show details
wilsonretriever
wilsonretriever

Totally agree with your comments. We bought our Prado in March 2012 and wish we never bought the car

BenfromPerth
BenfromPerthAU
SLOBBIECAT
SLOBBIECATAU11 posts
  J150

Great, this is our second Prado and just love them. We crossed the Simpson Dessert in August 2010 and was very impressed with performance though range has been reduced due to reduction in tank size. This car costs no more to run than our old Toyota 4 cylinder van around the city. All non Prados on our dessert crossing had problems especially with ground clearance.
Reliable, made for Australia ruggard conditions, love the parking sensors, powerful, economical.
Centre diff seals can be problematic.
christie07
christie07Hunter Valley, NSW50 posts
CROCO
CROCOSYDNEY10 posts
gail10
gail10adelaide2 posts

fantastic car

We have had our prado from new for 4years now,and will never drive any thing but a prado.many holidays in the bush and sand dunes around australia.Towing our boat is a dream overtacking on busy highways is unbelivable amount of power.Living in the city and using this car daily is a pleasure especially with a toddler.we have only had to service this car and change tyres no issues at all with nearly 300,000 kms on the clock love love it....
Always reliable, even at the back of Burke.
 Show 4 replies

MrsP57
MrsP57Newcastle
lis626
lis62614 posts
  J90

Reliable family car

Our 1997 Toyota Prado GXL has been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. It is only now, after 14 years, that things are starting to need attention. Although it's got the smaller motor compared to the newer model Prado, it still goes very well & gets up hills & can overtake with ease. There aren't many vehicles around with 8 seats & we need the 4X4 abilities due to where we live. Highly recommended! I'm just disappointed the new Prado only has 7 seats. No good to us with 6 children!
Extremely reliable!
No airbags on our model. Show details
Talktheroo