Toyota Prius

Toyota Prius (page 2 of 3)

ZVW30R, NHW20R, ZVW50R, NHW11R
See the Best Cars in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Toyota

• Comfort
  • Features
Peter from the Tweed
Peter from the TweedTweed

We've driven it 'into the ground'

Badge.
TransmissionCVT
Engine Size1.5
Date PurchasedNov 2004
Hybridfreak
HybridfreakSydney

Prius Battery Life 2nd Time Around

On my Prius when the battery was finished the car did not stop, did not require a tow truck. Just the alarm came on the dash board, the battery charged full and discharge again totally within a few km. Most noticeable the battery cooling fan run permanently (non stop). I managed to drive to Prius Battery Exchange Australia in Rydalmere (Sydney) and they put a reconditioned battery in. They kept the old one.

TransmissionAutomatic
Badge0
msteen
msteenSydney, NSW

Good

I like this car. With increasing fuel prices, it doesnt pay its way back for a fair while (10yrs on 2006 prices). I havent had any issues in the 3 years I've owned it.
Fast. Ridiculously easy to drive. Fuel efficient (750k to 50L tank). Good resale price (according to car sale websites). Comfortable to be a passenger. Enough passenger room for 5 incl driver, and luggage room even with the battery. Cheap servicing ($125 for a full service at a Toyota service).
A little weird looking. Not very gutsy on uphills (though not many 1.5L are). A little cramped in the drivers seat, but I'm 190cm tall. Its a new product, so maybe all the bugs havent been worked out yet.

kalloggs40

No issue but driving a Toyota heres a razor blade...

Helen c
Helen c

Love my Prius 2009

I love my 2008 hybrid Prius bought it new and would never ever buy another straight petrol car a again fuel Eco fantastic 3.9 per 100 km it is by far the best car l have ever had. Just up graded to an I tech 2013 love this car and l would never ever change. Cheap to run cheap to service and so reliable. 10 out of 10

TransmissionAutomatic
Engine Size1.8

Stefan

Is the Prius really green and does Toyota care about its Prii customers?

Stefan

I've since had to replace the battery pack and pay for it myself as I had no other option. I was shocked to learn that the new Toyota battery pack only has a warranty period of 12 months (???!!!).

msteen
msteenSydney, NSW

Lovely car, pity about suspension

I had one of the previous models to this one (2003) and it had the same issue - poor suspension. Low to the ground to cut wind resistance and push fuel efficiency but can feel every bump in the road.

Other than that, I can get around 5.1L/100km which is pretty fair. Means a fill up every few weeks. Would like to see the plugin version in Australia, but they aren't selling one from Toyota yet - has to be custom job.
Very fuel efficient. No issues reliability wise. Warranty pricing is $130/service.
Poor suspension in the series as a whole.

Namita
NamitaMelbourne

a great car

We're extremely happy with our 2004 prius that we've had for 4 years, which has done 153,000ks since we bought it. We estimate that we've saved $7500 in fuel compared with driving a similar car with a conventional engine. Maintenance costs have been low, and the existing big battery pack is still doing well. We're still able to get 4.8lt per 100ks, when we're easy on the acceleration, 5.1lt at other times, which is country driving. Efficiency is better in urban areas. Our bikes fit in the back. Quiet, reliable, roomy and pleasurable to drive.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

Clara V.
Clara V.30 Nov 2021
how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
My Display name
My Display nameQueensland

unbelievable

Have had a prius for 5 years and have --- bought it as a used car at a government auction on a whim
i am utterly impressed with every aspect of this car even forgetting the fuel economy, it has been completly reliable and has not missed a beat, i currently use it as a workhorse carting building materials arround, i have put almost a tonne in the rear, this car has put up with my abuse and still comes up smiling ---- recommend to everyone
everything
you dont look cool in it and its a bit ugly

GRUMBLEBUM
GRUMBLEBUMSydney, NSW

Extraordinary!!

teamlg
teamlgMelbourne

A little ripper

justin.mcleod.5
justin.mcleod.5

How much did the battery cost to get replaced?

BruceCameron
BruceCameron
elainel
elainelPerth, WA

Best car I've driven

MBright33
MBright33Surfers Paradise

I like!

When you need the extra push, you can turn on the power button. It does burn extra fuel but doesn't make extra noise. Futuristic displays caught my attention at beginning. In traffic jam, you almost hear nothing as it would then runs on battery mode. I always show off to my friends amount of fuel am able to save upon cruising on highways. Love it.
Less dent on my pocket, fuel efficient, no compromise in energy
Not nice looking at all. Looks more girlish.

alecaroll
alecarollGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Sometimes if parked outdoor under big sun, the battery might enter protective mode, and shows on screen 'EV mode not available'. It is hard to perform head check sometimes, as the seat belt would fix me onto the seat.
Trouble free. high oil efficiency. Durable paint, ultra-low wind drag. Sufficient boot space.
Bit of wind noise in car. Tyre wear faster than other cars with OEM tyres. quite big blind zone when turnning right. It is hard to do headcheck sometimes.

miguelW
miguelW
bruce1616
bruce1616

how much can it tow? I have a small boat.

zmdss
zmdss

Toyota says better not to tow anything.

Shalbri
ShalbriCHATSWOOD

My Prius

Dave2206
Dave2206

OK

This was a stupid, impulse buy. Seemed right for the enviroment, but the more I think about it the more I believe it is NOT all that good for the enviroment as there are a lot of negatives such as extra cost/weight etc to manufacture. Our previous Barina 1.4 (the european one NOT the crappy Korean one) used only a fraction more fuel but was only a small fraction of the price.
fuel efficient.
ridiculous price. Complicated (expensive) to service. Probably very poor resale price as people will worry about the batteries.

Jocelynaus
Jocelynaus

Joros
Joros

jinpatt
jinpattQLD, 4214

Toyota Prius is the most quiet car I have ever driven. It is very fuel efficient and easy to get around. Everything is excellent except the boot space which could be a little bit bigger as I cannot fit two large suitcases in. Other than that, it is a great car to drive in town.
Very cheap on fuel. Very quiet. Good room. Drive nicely.
Not enough boot space.

rosemaryjune
rosemaryjune
NinaJay
NinaJaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Good

I hope they continue to become more and more popular because they are the way of the future and Toyota have once again released a reliable, superior vehicle.

I want one of my own :)
I don't own one but I've driven my dad's quite a lot and I love it! If only I could afford my own.

So easy to drive, so quiet, so efficient and so clever. I love that you don't even have to put a key in the ignition
Unless explained to you, you wouldn't know how to drive it straight away but most people wouldn't hop in one without knowing what to do so it's not a big deal

flannigan
flanniganPerth, WA

kalloggs40

reliable but no style in Toyota's what were they thinking?

Good

My 2002 Prius is beautiful, easy and fun to drive and cheap to run. It was bought second hand and had done over 160 000 km, but it runs like new. It's a hybrid and as such doesn't use a huge amount of petrol, which makes it cheap to run. The transmission stick and the handbrake are in strange places, but it'll take you less than a minute to get used to it. The speedometer is large and digital, which makes it much easier to monitor speed than in a typical car. The only downside is the brakes can be quite sensitive, and it's a bit tricky to come to a smooth stop.
Absolutely beautiful, easy to drive, very smooth, a hybrid, incredibly quiet, excellent petrol:km ratio, loads of legroom.
Brakes stick slightly.

Toyota-prius
Toyota-priusAU

Best car I have ever owned, I love this car. I would recommend it to anyone. Lots of room for a small car.
Cheap on fuel
Very comfortable
Lots of features
Quite to drive
Looks very stylish
Doesn't have a temp gage, spare tyre is smaller than actual tyres - can't drive for very long on it as makes a noise.
Toyota genuine spare parts are expensive - best to buy from ebay in the USA
A bit hard to see out of when reversing for tall people

Star2009
Star2009NT, 0886

dogsneaker
dogsneaker

Love it! We get 900+ kms out of a full tank and No I dont drive like a granny! The keyless entry feature should be a standard for all cars, makes life so much easier when you are juggling groceries and a baby. I'd highly recommend this car to anyone considering buying a hybrid.
keyless entry, quiet, fuel efficiency, the gadgets that come as a standard - bluetooth, iPod ready, GPS, rear camera etc
seats in the car seem to be small? The rear overhead is quite low so if you have a tall person in the back, it'll be uncomfortable for them. We had to have our precious proximity car keyfob replaced which set us back $400.

LJ588
LJ588NSW, 2756

i love this car so much better than my subaru, so easy to drive and more features in it than my old car, i wouldnt own the base model though - it is worht the extra money to get an i-tech and have the additional features and the drive in an i-tech is better
fuel efficient, keyless door entry car starting and locking (on the i-tech model), can be serviced by other mechanics other than toyota, comfortable seats, good boot space (it fits my big pram in it), drives great
accessories have to be bought from overseas (ie. american ebay) that where we bought my dashmat and screen visor from becuase australian toyota dont stock them