Toyota RAV4

• Features
Bundy

Bundy

Rav4 Hybrid: Apple CarPlay not worth the effort

This is not a review of the RAV4 Hybrid, its a pretty good all round car but I just picked my car up from the dealer after the Apple CarPlay "upgrade". The poor girl trying to show me how the Apple CarPlay worked was stumped and so was I neither of us could find it. Until she went and asked the Tech. YOU NEED A CORD! The car has wireless charging for goodness sake. So the answer is if you want Apple CarPlay you will need to connect your phone via a cord to enable it, as you proceed to place it down for wireless charging. Not sure why Toyota bothered. I was disappointed.

Purchased in September 2019.

Year2019

AmranVictoria melbourne

totally regretted after buying my Rav4 2017

Purchased in May 2017 for A$40.00.

Noise Level
Comfort
Features
ccifbonjovi

ccifbonjoviBENTLEIGH EAST

over priced car with out date technology

brought the car last year and find out there are other better products in the market, I think Toyota is just over priced, as the market competition is getting a lot tougher, as Mazda CX5, Honda, Hyundai offer more equipment for the same money and their product is just a little bit better than Toyota nowadays.
Things have been changed. CX5 offers a better look and better driving experience.

BadgeAltitude
Date PurchasedAug 2017

Find out how Toyota RAV4 compares to other Midsize / Medium SUVs

There is nobody I hate enough to give it to them

The dashboard squeeks constantly, the fan can't give us enough heat to unfreeze our feet, the slightest bit of snow freezes on the whippers... front and back. Continental all season tires are the worst I have ever seen, in over 30 years of driving I have never had so little control over a vehicle. The traction control has left us stranded in the middle of oncoming traffic many times. This is probably an ok vehicle for seniors with no chance of ever seeing snow or cold weather. Gas consumption is average, visibility around the vehicle below average. The seat warmers and the rear view camera work well. Worst purchase I ever made, wouldn't recommend to anybody.

Badgexle
Date PurchasedNov 2017
MMalty

MMaltyOcean reef

Very High Fuel Consumption. Terrible Customer Service

Purchased in October 2015.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Comfort
Features

Engine oil problem

Be warned when you buy a Toyota Rav 4 Diesel engine SUV. I have been back to Pennant Hills Toyota 4 time as the low engine oil light turns on every after 4,000 to 5,000 km. They keep telling me to come back to do a engine oil consumption test each time. They says its Toyota's policy, they really try to make it so inconvenient and hard. Surely there is a problem. My warning is beware when you a Toyota Rav 4 Diesel engine SUV, because they will make you go through so many hurdles.

BadgeGXL
PAUL_DOUBYA

PAUL_DOUBYAHunter Region, NSW

Poor Design, Weak Diesel Engine, Bad Service, Huge Backflip and I got rid of it before it seized

BadgeGX

Never Buy a RAV4 again

I have a MYO8 Manual Rav4 cruiser done 130,000 and the gear box has gone. So disappointing. My good old an faithful 2000 Ford Laser that I sold to my mum to get the Rav4 is still going strong no problems what so ever. The pick up has always been terrible, I haven't enjoyed owning this car at all.

BadgeCruiser
Ele

EleBermi

Sucks oil like its going out of fashion!

yeah I hear you! I bought the 2008 Rav 4, brand new. always serviced every 10000kms at the same Toyota service centre. Just before 100,000km warranty ran out I had to start putting oil in. Told service centre they said they had to keep an eye on it before they could approach Toyota for assistance to fix problem under warranty. 50,000kms later they still haven't done a thing. Not happy! Currently requires to be filled twice before service is due. Now they are telling me it is out of warranty. Am seriously annoyed being strung along all this time!

John SJACOBS WELL

Not happy with our 2013 RAV Diesel

Always been a Toyota driver. Purchased July 2013 Brand new! First 6 months oil levels continually dropped. Monitored by dealer every service. As a result Motor re-built! Since then, oil still dropped and monitored by dealer. Yesterday the motor system failed completely and it stopped dead! Luckily not on the motorway, it could have been catastrophic! Outcome? Dealer wants to strip the motor yet again! I want a new car!!! Stay tuned and watch this space.

John S

Disappointed was a Toyota fan not now! Have a 2002 RAV4 Advantage.

First problem I experienced was the alternator belt automatic tensioner failing costing me $500. I would have preferred just to adjust it! It would vibrate and make a noise but would go when revs went up.
Then complete engine failure with big end damage, engine making a terrible rattling noise then locking up while being analysed at Toyota dealer at 166 000 km despite being regularly serviced and well maintained. Apparently this is common with this model suffering from slugging problems. I only discovered this after my son googled RAV 4 engine problems! So shattered because I loved my 1985 land cruiser diesel series 60 model because it was so reliable.

toglhotaldinga beach

When is a diesel not sited for towing? when its a RAV4 apparently.

I've been waiting for Toyota to upgrade the tow rating for the Rav4 diesel, well they finally have; but, it's now rated at only 1000 kg. So Toyota have put a great big 2.2 litre, 340nm diesel in the RAV4 for nothing, you can tow more than that with petrol model. Now that is what I call pathetic, just how fragile is this new engine?
Nothing now
Dog ugly and a fragile diesel engine.

Marty05

Marty05PERTH

Terrible Toyota Service

robbie01
robbie01

I agree The Toyota service is not good. I have a 2009 RAV 4 which after only 16500kms blew a clutch and was told this was due to normal wear and tear. Nobody that I have spoken to considers this to be normal. Toyota
"Oh what a bad feeling"

AVCamden
AVCamden

I have same opinion Toyota service is simply poor.
I have a 2011 Rav4 , go it brand new, none of several issues have been fixed so now I will take them to Fair Trading.

graeme3030
graeme3030

Toyota Rav 4 Cruiser

BadgeCruiser

Transmission FAIL

Holly
Holly

Terrible

Toyota have failed to make this a safe vehicle transmission or the gear slips it's very frustrating can Toyota help me out??
Good size for car
Transmission problems

A pile of garbage

Erin02
Erin02

Don't you think you should have looked at it before you bought it?

richard 1
richard 1

Of coarse if you get the (povo) pack your not going to get 17in wheels plus reverse camera did you not test drive it before shelling out the cash????

Dell
Dell

I concur with the writer...the worst so called suv on the road. Looks ugly and dated. What on earth is that spare wheel on the back for?

Dia

DiaAU

Rav4 is an overpriced pile of junk

Cecily K.

Cecily K.asked

RAV4

My rav4 navigation map shows the normal speed limit for a road. It is now changing to show a 40km speed when I go thru a school zone.
This has just started to happen. Is there a setting I can turn off so the map always shows the normal speed limit for that road?

Shae

Shaeasked

RAV4

Hey, I am looking at buying a Toyota RAV4 cruiser (4x4) 2001 for $5500, but the kms are around 277/281000 kms is that too much and what problems would I have to look out for?

Brian.

Brian.asked

RAV4

Does anyone know if you can isolate when the car says speed camera down?when she says it 18 times within 2kms its annoying and there ain't any speed cameras at all.

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

Compare all 20 Toyota RAV4
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price A$36,670A$40,378A$43,365A$39,245
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT) and ManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolHybrid
Fuel Consumption6.5 L/100km6.5 L/100km6.5 L/100km4.7 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 55 L55 L55 L55 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L
Max Power127kW @ 6600rpm127kW @ 6600rpm127kW @ 6600rpm160kW
Max Torque203Nm @ 4400-4900rpm203Nm @ 4400-4900rpm203Nm @ 4400-4900rpm221Nm @ 3600rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Ground Clearance195 mm190 mm195 mm190 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)800 kg800 kg800 kg480 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg480 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateMay 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019