TP-Link AC1750 Archer D7

TP-Link AC1750 Archer D7

MPN: ARCHERD7

Almost perfect for normal family use

It will work for weeks without restart, unlike Optus router need few restart everyday. I have more than. 20 devices, still no issue. Lack some expert option, but still one of the best for family.

Purchased in September 2014 at Harvey Norman for $100.00.

Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Centre of my homes network!

Have used TP-Link gear for a while now and the AC1750 Archer is another great product. Strong and fast wireless. Robust and reliable, serves up all manner of network across my house without missing a beat. Wireless and wired. Plenty of security features. Super easy to use. Extremely happy with its performance.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Excellent value for money.

Routers are fast and have many features for small business networks that are easy to set up. It also includes state-of-the-art firmware, with two separate networks set up for internal and external users, along with an HDD for sharing content. A good value for money router. Powerful. Excellent value for money.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

The best

This router is amaze!
I was previously using the router given to me by my ISP and it was the worst - it would drop out constantly and kick people off once you had more than 3 or 4 devices connected. The TP-LINK Archer D7 totally fixes this issue and I haven't experienced any dropouts since I started using it about 2 months ago.
The dual band functionality is great, most devices automatically know which one to connect to so we have our computers on the 5GHz one and everything else on the other. Plus, the initial setup of the router was super easy, the hardest part was figuring out our ISP login details and once we had that it only took about 5 minutes.
I've been recommending this router to everyone who'll listen, I love it!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Works great

This router was recommended by a computer repair store we use and it's working great. Along with a new modem, and we are experiencing much faster internet and wireless delivery. Our old combo modem/router provided by our cable provider was terrible, very slow.With this new router, we are now able to stream to our t.v. and are looking at our options to cancel our cable. Highly recommend this router.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

BEST

This has to be hands down the BEST router I have purchased. It was easy for me to set up and program. It reaches the whole house, and has no issues with multiple devices running.
I have it set up in my office which is on the west side of my house and it has no issues working through out my home.
We have x-box live, Wii U, 2 cell phones, Roku, and laptop using it RIGHT NOW as we speak in different rooms, and No issues at all.
I needed a good wireless router that would not hiccup/lag or freeze when we are all using it.
So far so good.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Firewall issue. Other than that - a very capable modem router that does what it says it will.

Installed and up and running really quickly. It has proved to be a massive improvement on our old Sky Netgear b/g router, with the n range proving more than adequate even to the top floor of the house. The 5GHz network is supporting the smart TV and the Apple devices well, although the range on this is a little flakier than the 2.4GHz n network and so far, the complaints from the children about lack of access to the internet have disappeared. Surprised that the SPI firewall wasn't enabled by default and the configuration menu could be a little daunting to some. The new firmware now adds support for the Tether app, allowing control of the network from a mobile. Very happy with this purchase, but knocked a star off because of the firewall issue. Other than that - a very capable modem router that does what it says it will.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great easy modemto get up and running

This is great modem for the modern family. Great to setup with an easy to use web setup. Coverage is great throughout a 2 story house. Was able to setup a lockout time when the modem would not work . Great to get the kids off devices around dinner time. There has been firmware updates to do since purchased. Has been working better since them.
Overall a great unit and would consider in purchasing more in the future.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Negative review edited to positive following terrific service from TP-Link Support

This was originally a very negative review.
Responding to my complaints, TP-Link support have replaced my device.
They have also advised that TP-Link developers are currently testing new Production firmware for the Archer D7 and other devices affected by changes to the Android operating system(s).
Google have made changes to their software to address the problems they acknowledge they instigated.

Ultimately, TP-Link Australia have provided excellent support and honoured their warranty.

Original review:
Defective product with dodgy, crippled firmware. Non existent support. Stay away.Do not buy a TP-Link Archer D7.

This device shipped with defective firmware and suffers from constant drop-outs requiring rebooting if there are any Android devices in the network.
A Beta release of firmware watermarked "confidential only for test" was released in February 2018 which adresses the drop-out problem, but the firmware is crippled and lacks functionality.
TP-Link do not respond to requests for support for this problem.

Although TP-Link are still selling the Archer D7 new in Australian stores, and still list it as a current model on the TP-Link Australian website, if you look at TP-Link overseas websites, the D7 is deprecated.
I believe that they are doing as little as possible to provide adequate firmware for the D7 because it is only new for the Australian market.
They released the workaround, watermarked, only for test beta firmware on 06 February 2018 and it is now June – they are not going to fix it.
If you install it and look at the options, you will see that the top half of the 5GHz spectrum is missing.
Channels 36, 40, 44, 48 are all that are available – Europe, Switzerland, Japan.
Australia should also have access to channels 149, 151, 153, 155, 157, 159, 161, 165.

This firmware is dodgy and crippled.
I do not have the tools to test whether the firmware also reduces the broadcast power to the aerials, which it would if it is based on another country's firmware where the broadcast maximums are lower than Australia, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Beta software is, by definition, not ready for market.
Software is developed and Alpha tested inhouse.
Software (firmware) MAY then be released to some users to perform Beta testing in the wild.
Once Beta testing is completed, and all severity 1 and 2 defects are confirmed fixed, then the last confirmed version of the software/firmware is released to production.
Beta software or firmware carries no guarantees to work as described.
Production software carries guarantees.
If you are using Beta software or firmware, you have no legal protection.

Notes:

- Information for this review provided in part on Whirlpool forums by TP-Link Australia vendor:
TP-Link Australia Pty Ltd
Unit 4, 9-11 South Street
Rydalmere, NSW 2116, Australia

- Release notes for Beta release of firmware.
Archer D7(AU)_V1_180126_Beta
Published Date: 2018-02-06 --- Language: English --- File Size: 9MB
Modification: Optimized the solution to solve the wireless issue caused by Android devices’ unreasonable behavior.
Note: This is Beta for Archer D7(AU) 1.0

- Beta label removed weekend of 24-25 March 2018 but "confidential only for test" watermark remains.

- Advice from Australian vendor re Beta firmware.
16 April 2018
We are unable to remove the watermark from the beta firmware due to legal purposes, with the next full release of the firmware this will be removed.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

A good all rounder but 2.4ghz lacks performance

I've had my unit for a few years and certainly it's managed many things from ADSL2+ through to WAN mode NBN. I would say that LAN speeds are great and similar for 5ghz wifi but the 2.4ghz wifi suffers from interference and slow speeds while the range for the wifi isn't particularly great. Overall I'd you get this on special, it's a decent modem but I would invest in a more powerful MIMO device.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Excellent device

This device gives me WiFi all through the house and I can watch Netflix in any room.
Easy setup with clear instructions. I bought it as part of my IPSTAR plan sure I could buy it cheaper but Ipstar offer me full support on the device and the NBN connection. I can also monitor what the kids have access to and block anything I don't want them to look at.
Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Good value for multiple devices

My cheap n300 modem was struggling with the number of devices connecting to it so it was time for an upgrade.

After much research i decided to settle on this modem, it seemed to strike the right balance between cost and speed for my needs. It's dual band, so a bit like having 2 wireless routers in one. The kids ipads can connect on the 5GHz band, and I can connect my laptop at 2.4GHz and we don't affect each others speeds.

TPlink have an app that you can download on your phone, I find this handy for quickly blocking the kids devices when needed.

Sure there are better modems on the market, but they cost a fair bit more too. It struggles occasionally when the kids are all streaming different youtube videos and there's some torrenting going on, but that's to be expected.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Solid home router

I've had this router for close to a year now and it has held up solid for my ADSL2+ line. We always have around 4 different wireless devices connected to this network and I've not experienced any dropouts in my home. Range is good and 5GHz band is excellent for compatible devices.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Very good router and modem combo for adsl2+

I have used this router for my TPG's adsl2 service and it provides reliable network performance. I have AC wifi devices in the bedrooms (single storey home, but long block) that are located far away from this router and connection has been stable. Also, in hot weather, this device doesn't get too overly hot, so there is not downgrade in performance (it can get hot in Vic).

I recommend this device for people who have their router located far away from their devices and live in warmer/hotter areas.

Note: I don't like the piano back paint on this unit, attracts dust and scratches easily.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Works a treat

Currently using this modem / router for ADSL 2+ internet connection. It has been very reliable, provides a solid wifi connections throughout the house both with 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz connections. Have been semi - regularly updating firmware since release, approx 3 years ago. Is a reliable piece of hardware

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Good reliable modem

Bought this when my expensive Billion all-in-one needed replacing after only a couple of years, and it has been running for 3 and a half years without missing a beat. Easy to set up and I don't think I have needed to reset it more than about half a dozen times. Great unit, exactly what I was looking for.

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Great features, range questionable.

Bought one a while ago and it still works exactly as first bought. Notable features include its ability to easily monitor who is on your network through the 192 168 1 1 user interface. The only thing I am uncertain about in recommending this its range. My house has a couple of black spots that my previous router was able to reach, but this one is inconsistent.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Good Modem

This modem worked well for us before we moved to NBN in late 2017. Its only limitation was the lack of VPN server. The wifi was very good in our house even though we have a lot of steel. Line sync rate was much better than the Telstra supplied router.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Highly specced router at a good price.

Our ISP issued router was slow and had poor range so after some research, went for this TP-Link Archer D7. Great decision! It has been rock solid, never drops out and gives much better range than our previous router. Even with multiple devices all streaming video, it has the speed to keep up. Highly recommended as a cheaper alternative to the Netgear Nighthawk range, which are also great, but cost a lot more.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great modem/router

Been using this modem/router but apart from having dropouts it is good.
It seems to be dropping out and coming back on for a certain period.
When i was using the netgear d200 it didn't happen but this one has given me that kind of issue.
But overall great build and solid.

Date PurchasedJun 2016