Travelex Cash Passport

Travelex Cash Passport (page 2 of 26)

See the Best Travel Money in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Stay away from this card - it is full of hidden fee's

We made the mistake of taking this card with us on a trip to Spain. We were told there were no fee's to access our money from ATM's or elsewhere. It sounded great. It wasn't. The first time we withdrew money out of an ATM we were slugged a huge 100 Euro 'currency conversion fee'. When we checked the account we realised that every time we used the card we were were charged this 'conversion fee'. We emailed Travelex asking for help and an explanation, it took 4 days for a response and the response was an automated email response saying they couldn't help. Stay away from this card unless you want added stress to your holiday and your hard earned money disappearing in fees.

Ratt

RattEvans Head

A disgrace

It’s a shame there is not a minus star rating because this card is definitely a contender for a sub zero rating. It promised to be the travelers best solution whilst overseas however when put to the test it failed dismally leaving us stranded. Fortunately we had a back up plan but it could’ve all gone wrong had we relied on this card as our sole source of accessing money. The hidden fees are ridiculous, there is no flexibility in transferring currency, it is near on impossible to load money whilst outside of Australia, and the list goes on! I cannot warn people enough to stay away from this product. Travelex, thanks for nothing but grief.

Scam beware go elsewhere

They ripped us of over 440 aud in conversion rates compared to their very own app. We checked app 30mins later and we where mortified to find out when we got pressured into this card and to find we where given such bad exchange rates. Its cheaper to use your own bank card and do large withdrawels. No fees my butt. I understand there is a difference from xe.com to travelex exchange however not 11 -20 cent per dollar difference from travellex app to travellex store on first load up. We rang up to try and rectify but told its based on the agreed value at the time. They charge 5 dollars for withdrawel so not at all worth it ever.

A huge disappointment & puts persons at risk while overseas :( Say all the right things & delivered

Don

DonAdelaide

Traps withdrawing from overseas ATMs

Wayne

WayneMelbourne

Horrible product - they literally steal from you

Reloaded money at one point and although i received an order confirmation for a certain amount, somehow only received a fraction of it with the rest mysteriously disappearing. Customer service were incompetent and tried to blame my bank the cba. I am astounded they can literally steal money like this and need to be stopped

Shape Sifter

Shape SifterBrisbane

The Real cost is when you get home and want to withdraw

I got a good exchange rate from AUD to NZD for my holiday when I obtained this card. The rate was ~1.03 or ~1.04 which was very close to the cash spot price.

There did not seem to be many fees while getting and using this card. Seemed too good to be true. I found it was widely accepted in a large New Zealand tourist town.

Only after returning home have I discovered how this company makes it money: Obscene exchange rates when trying to reclaim any unspent foreign money. They want 1 AUD = 1.19 NZD which is 15% worse than the spot price. Ludicrous! Never will I use them again. Get a ING account or take CASH on your next holiday.

A legal scam - Stay well clear!!!

Another reviewer has described this card in the best way and I can't take any wind from her sails. This card is a money pit of unexplained and unfair fees. Don't go near it. Stick to the tried and true travellers cheques. Every time you make a transaction on this card you are being screwed and further the rates are absolute crap. This is in short, a legalised scam. My opinion of course. Venture in if you are game and foolish.

Carolyn

CarolynMelbourne

Stay away.

We have persevered with this card and it continues to disappoint. Mexico, we struggled to find an Eftpos machine where it would work. Thailand we could not find a machine at all where it would work. Finally found one inside a bank and it gave a hefty charge. My daughter had left over cash on it from the holiday so she bought her school books in February. They have just charged her in July for the books and have over drawn her card, not ideal for a student. Phoned to ask why and the women at the other end was rude and no help at all. This is the first time I have ever complained online but I really don't want others to use this service and to be disappointed. Stay away from this product.

Hutch

HutchAU

Currency conversions at atms

I purchased a Travelex money card in Australia and used the EURO as my default currency. Currently in Europe and all ATMs are taking out a 5% currency conversion fee. Tried and tried to get some help from Travel ex but getting nowhere. My holiday funds are slowly being eradicated and there does not seem that I can do anything about it. When I get back home I will be contacting the ombudsman as their seems no other way to stop being ripped off.

Added stress I didn't need

It was my convenient, a way to keep life, now it destryed me

The past year I used this card, supporting my fiancé in a different country. We would marry next month. I travel to her country often. She became very ill, TB. A hole in her lung. I used this card for convenience. An easy way to get money to her. I sent a lot of money the last few months, in her country you must pay for treatment. Because I sent so much, travelex cancelled my card. Hours on the phone. They didn't understand. I only have one thing to say now. Travelex, you have ruined two lives. They tried to explain policies, I didn't make her the third party. Travelex may have killed my fiancé. They wont care. Be careful if it is a long term card. Ask so many questions.

A very expensive mistake

I would not recommend this card. It is a money pit of unexplained and unfair fees and charges. They even charge for BPay reloads even though the office where I was persuaded to get this card told me there were no fees. Also to get the remaining balance from the card they are charging $10. My experience with customer support was a waste of time.
There are much better cards out there so do some research before you get a card and do not rely on sales people to know their product or tell the truth.

Outright fraud. Complain to ACCC, as well as here.

This card is deceptive, false and misleading and breaches Australian Consumer Law many times over. Complain in writing to the ACCC as well as here and you might get your money back. If you complain to ACCC and we can collectively get them prosecuted for the millions they have fleeced from unsuspecting Australian tourists, then they can be forced to repay us, and the culprits could be put in gaol for this blatant MasterCard fraud.

Oh, and take no notice of the Travellex resellers posting 4 and 5 star reviews here. These guys are scum operating a debit card fraud, pure and simple. They'll do anything to get new business, because once you've bought one of these you'll never buy one again.

Jared

JaredSydney

Expensive. Convoluted, terrible.

$10 "cash out fee" to withdraw your own money back to your bank account. ATM fees, crappy exchange rates, pretty sure they'll discontinue a product with this many bad reviews. Make sure you check out the fees online before you commit: https://www.cashpassport.com.au/fees-and-limits/ - much better products around!

Aiko

AikoCanberra

Worst product

I have added $500 to this card to use as Yen Japan.

When I arrived in Japan, the card was unusable and I had no back up money.

Upon arriving back home to Australia, I attempted to unload the $500 and customer service informed me that there is no money on the card. I have tried to get this money back form the cash passport team but customer service is very unhelpful. I have lost $500.

Terrible outcome

Absolutely agree. Loaded my card with US$ to put into my Indian dentist's Dubai bank account (which is in US$).There is way to do this as it involves a swift code and IBAN number. So much for the bad advice from the Brisbane Travelex representative. Never again! And the fees are a huge ripoff!!

Horrible

Told at the store that we can load up card and reload as necessary when our son was in Europe.

What wasn't told to us was that is actually against there terms..

First time i tried to reload the app wasn't working.. multiple call to customer service and they couldn't tell me what was happening. Finally they told me i could just go to there website or if I called the 800 number they could load $$ for us.

Well 800 said that they can not load $$ so I ended up using the website. Son is still in Europe and a week later the app still is not working.

Frustrating experience all around... get a travel card elsewhere!

Davey

DaveySYdney

Not useful and very costly

The exchange rates are terrible sometimes 10% more than the spot, they charge a monthly non-use fee.
You cannot withdraw in foreign currency from a multi-currency ATM (eg if I had $100USD in my account and wanted to take it out. They will convert to AUD then back to USD and you will get something like $88 back).
They charge a ridiculous rate to close account. The ATM International Fees were too high.
Best thing to use is the ING product that is a debit visa card and doesn't incur International transaction fees.

James

Jamescanberra

New card Much better

Very happy this card it's much better than the old Cash passport ...Travelex have lifted their game very good rate exchange is very good in ATM fees but in some countries there are fees but very small travelled to Thailand was very handy i have changed my opinion from the last review due to the new card!

Lenny

Lennyasked

Hi can I change my pass number ,as we have forgot it .
Regards Leonard Davis

wayneE
wayneE

No I do not believe it is possible to change your PIN. You will need to contact Travelex to resolve your issue

Lynasked

What happens if you still have Euro dollars on your card on return to Australia can you get your money back?

Cristy
Cristy

You can withdraw any amounts back off your card into your bank account but you get a really crappy exchange rate. Better off withdrawing as much as you can before returning and changing it at a local currency place

Thankyou appreciated

Susan R
Susan R

As far as I understand, you can get your money back but only after very poor conversion rates to the local currency are applied. Also, if you do not use your card but you have money on it, they take out some fee for non-use and if you are not aware of this, you go to check your balance and it is much less than it used to be because of these fees being applied. It is definitely all one way (and not for the customer!).

Hamish

Hamishasked

I have just loaded money onto the card and am trying to get it back without using the card as I have just seen the reviews. Does anyone who has been through the system have any hints to avoid fees?

Lisa
Lisa

If you have loaded foreign currency they will charge you to convert it back and we paid over $85 above the exchange rate conversion on just over $1000.00 SGD. It might work out cheaper to use the card, but we couldn't use our card so can't guarantee that.

emi
emi

Travelex or Master card could have refunded back the sale, because the card did not work, customer can not use it when they needed to use it.
this way the customer could have not loose money to exchange it back.

Get an answer from our members and Travelex representatives

CategoryTravel Money