TravelSim

TravelSim Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

53 questions from our users

Maca

Macaasked

Hi we are considering getting the travelsim for our 2 phones. One is a smart phone the other a no-smart phone! How do we stop the sim card from using data on the apps we have on the smart phone? Also can we use in Russia and Mongolia? When we get home and start using our regular sim and network will our travelsim expire? We do travel a bit overseas. Also when i hotels overseas and we use their wifi does that use up data on the sim. Sorry about all the questions but we have never used one before!

S U
S U

Hi there,
I’m not an expert at this especially since you have a non- phone as well, so it might be best to ask TravelSim directly. They are very good and helpful at answering all your questions.

kalkadan
kalkadan

I can vouch for that. Contact them. I've just got off web chat with them (Tracey C.) and everything went really well. We've used Travel SIM cards since 2013 for treks in Spain, France and the UK. Always worked well. However I had the old card/telephone number. When we went to NZ in 2016 it failed. And I failed to follow up at the time! But now we are off into rural areas of France/Spain again and I can't afford failures. Their response on webchat was to upgrade my existing Sim for free and to do me a deal on a second one for my wife.
We don't use data packs so I can't help you with that. We rely on free WiFi in cafes etc. Usually works ok for us. We just use the Sim to call ahead for accomodation.

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hi, to avoid data charges on your smart phone, simply leave data roaming switched off in your handset. The TravelSIM can be used in both Mongolia and Russia and when you get home, you just need to pop your local sim back into the phone. The TravelSIM does not expire for 6 months and we give you an option to keep in active for a small recharge of $5 every six months. Wifi in hotels does not use data from the SIM, keep the data roaming switched off and just connect to the hotels wifi serivce. You can call us on 1300 851 676 24/7 and we'd love to talk you thorough everything or jump onto our website and chat with us.

RitaB

RitaBasked

Can TravelSIM be used as an everyday sim?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

HI RitaB, This SIM can be used as an everyday SIM but remember that it is a roaming SIM which means it connects to multiple networks, in Australia you will connect with all three, Telstra, Vodafone and Optus. This therefore means that the costs can be higher than everyday SIMS. Check out the rates at www.travelsim.net.au/rates

Delasked

Cruising the Pacific and Fiji shortly and want to know if we can get a travel data sim for wifi as the cruise line charges are extortionate!

Chrisko
Chrisko

This is the link to their page that show their rates and cruise lines. https://www.travelsim.net.au/Rates/ I would suggest contacting TravelSIM direct as they are very helpful.

Del

Thanks, did contact them and they are even dearer than the cruise ship for using wifi so I will just check things at home when onland.

Algasked

Where do you buy a travel sim from?
Is it only over the internet and what is the length of delivery time?

Jeff Curwood
Jeff Curwood

We bought the two sim package so that we could text each other overseas. Read about it online and ended up ringing and spoke with a consultant. Delivery was only a few days. You must have an unlocked phone though. Very happy as we were away for 3 months. Only used it as a phone. Accessed internet via hotel Wifi.

Richard
Richard

You can buy online or at Australia Post. Online delivery is only a couple of days. I use for phone calls and text. Use wifi in hotels etc.

Alg

many thanks Jeff and Richard.
Good to have your feedback..they seem to have the best reviews

Cos

Cosasked

My mother is currently traveling through Europe and is unable to use the travelsim. It is her first time travelling on her own and we prep purchased this for her to provide peace of mind.However, the service is failing, she's not receiving texts and is unable to make or send texts???? Any help?

Alan Tripper
Alan Tripper

Sorry ,no help for you,we test our phones before we leave Aust to ensure connection, may go to travelsim on your mothers behalf. They will help if possible

Merro58
Merro58

This is from the TravelSIM website
If you are unable to send a SMS please try the below steps.
1. Check your Balance - You need available credit to send a SMS unless SMS is being sent to another TravelSIM or Customer Support (+61 427 841 501)

2. Check the number - Check you are sending your SMS in full international format. E.G. + 61 489 999 999 (to an Australian mobile or TravelSIM).
The international format is + <country code> <phone number dropping the leading zero>

3. Delete your Outbox - Any SMS that are failing or have failed to send, can stop other SMS's from being sent. If you have any failed, SMS please delete these and try again.

TIP: If using an iPhone, ensure iMessage is switched off. Go to setting > iMessage > off.

Have you tried sending her an SMS via the TravelSIM website? I would call them on her behalf.

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

To add to the above, there is a reset of the SMS centre which we can do. We are happy to call your mum and help her out. PM us her TravelSIM number and we will call to assist. Or you can have her call us on +61 2 8668 7500, we are open 24/7.

Philasked

Why do I have to add money to my account every 6 months to avoid "inactive" charges?
I am also supposed to be able to add only $5 but cannot find any below $25 on the recarge site.
The whole 6 months inactivity thing is a real pain as I often do not go overseas again within that time limit.
Is there a way to manage this??

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hi Phil, unlike other prepaid SIM providers, we don't automatically expire credit after 30 days, we have set it at 6 months. We offer the opportunity to refresh your credit with a small $5.00 recharge which keeps your credit and SIM active. We open up the $5.00 recharge two weeks prior to the 6 month period, however if you are not being given a $5 option please give us a call 24/7 1300 851 676 and we will process it for you.

Hi,
Thanks very much for that information but can you clarify something for me please?
If the SIM has been used within the six months since the last top up does that delay the need to top up?
In other words does phone activity delay top up or is top up independent of calling/messaging?
Thanks and regards,

fiona.krawczuk

fiona.krawczukasked

What's the cost to text home to Australia, is there a set limit of texts or is it a matter of just topping it up with more credit? Thanks Fiona

ACTC
ACTC

Hello Fiona, the cost varies from region to region and country to country. I was in the UK and Europe and a text was 25 cents Australian. Visit https://www.travelsim.net.au/, scroll to bottom of the home page and click on the country of choice to see prices displayed. TC

Felicity

Felicityasked

If I have a TravelSIM in the US Who pays when people in Australia call & what will it cost?
Who pays when people in the US call me & how much does it cost?
Can I keep my own mobile number? If so how is easy is it to port to TravelSIM?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hello, If you are travelling in the US and someone from Australia calls, you will pay 25c per minute to receive the call and they will pay a standard local Australia call. If you are travelling in the US and someone from the US calls you, you will pay 25c per minute to receive the call and they will pay whatever their phone provider charges them to call an Australia number. Yes, we can port your number over to TravelSIM however we encourage people to keep their number with their current provider and utilise the new TravelSIM number. Porting is relatively easy, we just need the porting number from your current provider.

Vic58

Vic58asked

I am travelling to South Africa in November and I am planning to take my old iPhone 4s to make and receive emergency phone calls and texts. Will I be able to use the Travel SIM in that phone, and will it be simple to set up? I don't want access to data as I will have my current phone with me also and I plan to use it via wireless for internet, and not use it for calls or texts. Can the travel SIM be setup for phone and texts and no access to data?
Vic

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

The TravelSIM is compatible with any phone so your iPhone 4 will be fine. It's very simple to set up, activate the sim and then pop it in your phone and you are ready to go. Customers who want to use data need to make settings changes in their phone in order to access data. If you do not want to use data then you simply don't make those settings changes.

Henryasked

Hi can we retain our own mobile no.?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

The only way for you to retain your current number is to port it over to TravelSIM.

Thank you all ok now.

leonideg

leonidegasked

What is the cost of data? I can't seem to find this information on the website.

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

It really depends on where you are travelling. In Europe you can get data packs which bring the cost down to 2.5c per mg. On the home page, scroll down until you see a green world map, enter the country you are visiting and it will give you the costs for calls, texts and data. If you want to see the data packs, scroll further past this map and you will see the data pack details.

Lerra4ka

Lerra4kaasked

Hello, does your card work in NYC? If yes- will it be working when I arrive there (put it in the phone in my own country) or I need to buy the card when I will be in NYC?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hi, Yes, our card connects to the AT&T and T Mobile networks in the USA. Once activated, you pop it into your phone and automatically connects to the best available network as soon as you arrive.

LyndaP

LyndaPasked

Hello. My daughter is travelling to Japan and we have heard many horror stories of trying to get sims to work over there. Does yours cover Japan??

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hi, Yes, our TravelSIM does work in Japan. Our SIM connects to Softbank corp network in Japan.

TinoP

TinoPasked

Travelling to South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, & Swaziland later this month Will TravelSim work in all those countries and how good is the coverage?

Cheers Tino

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hello, sorry for the delay in replying. Yes a TravelSIM does work in those locations except Swaziland. If you go to www.opensignal,com and search the areas you are travelling to you can see coverage maps.

Deanne

Deanneasked

I am travelling to The Netherlands, Norway, Italy, Finland and Seoul shortly and will be away for 38 days - from what I read the data packs are only valid for 30 days. I was hoping to have it all set up before I leave so that I don't have to buy another pack whilst on my travels - is this possible ?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Yes, set up before you leave and the data pack does not activate until you land in the first eligible country. This way you maximise the usage.

PeteGasked

I'm traveling to amsterdam,paris, barcelona, morrocco , venice , rome and greece. Will it work in all those countrys ?? And when do i put the sim in ??? Pete

Deb L
Deb L

Hi PeteG

I had no problems with it when using it in Athens. Not sure how you would go in the other countries. I put the sim when I was at Brisbane airport before I boarded the plane, so my first actual use was on stopover in Abu Dhabi with no problems. Happy & safe travels to you!

PeteG

Thankyou for your response ,,,, i do need to research further as the other countrys that i mentioned require me to be able to phone locally there for bookings and ticket needs. How can i find this out ? Thanks PeteG

Chelsea89
Chelsea89

Hey,
I set up my sim in Australia and put in in before I left, once I arrived for a stop over in Singapore I was able to send a message and connect to WiFi during my stop over.

Have a look at this, might be able to answer your questions as I only went to Bali :) they have European packs available etc. Safe travels!

Andrew

Andrewasked

Can I use the sim card on lenovo A606 pone GSM 900/1800?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Andrew, The sim works in every handset, however some countries have handset restrictions. Where are you travelling to?

Graham

Grahamasked

I/pad model a1460 traveling to China Shanghai Beijing Yangtze River cruise Lijiang kunming for 25 days will it work approx cost also taking Samsung mobile phone?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hi Graham, yes, the TravelSIM will work in an iPad and the Samsung phone. We currently have double packs for $30.00 (2 x TravelSIMs, each SIM comes with $5 included credit) China is 50c per minute/ 50c per SMS / 50c per mb.

Jan R.

Jan R.asked

Will I be able to set up a hot spot to use my phone data on my laptop?

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hi Jan, Sorry, the TravelSIM is not able to hotspot.

Mike

Mikeasked

When im in the uk what do i advise my relatives in the uk do to 04 travel sim number in order to contact me and what will it cost?
Mike

TravelSIM A.TravelSim

Hi Mike, they need to add a +44 to the beginning of the number and drop the zero. The charge for you will be 25c per minute to receive a call and they will pay to call Australia. Hope this helps.

Get an answer from our members and TravelSim representatives

Other Travel SIMs