2Triumph Thunderbird Storm

Suspension
Fuel Efficiency
Comfort
Handling
See the Best Cruiser Bikes in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Gerry
Gerry

Best handling heavy cruiser there is

I have done 90,000kms on my 2013 Triumph Storm and mechanically it hasn't missed a beat. A great handling and performing big twin. For a big bike it handles corners well. Show details
Overall
Mark J.
Mark J.VICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC2 posts

Bought mine in 2011 and I still love it

I put the short pipes on and had the tune changed. Put a little wind shield on, triumph panniers and gel seat. 2 up went round Tassie. Been across Sth australia. Handles everything with ease - so much torque. Thumping engine and still turns my head every time I look at it. Show details
Braking
Handling
Recmech226
Recmech226WAPilbara, WA4 posts

Love this bike!

2018 model I've had 6 months and running well. Due to forum comments on water leaks etc, I've checked mine regularly but have had no problems at all. I do mostly long distance touring in outback WA so seat had to be replaced for comfort. You won't ride far on the original seat unless you just take it out for half hour Saturday morning rides. My only complaint is sun glare from the instrumemnts on the tank which I blacked out. Just about due for second service at 10,000 which I do myself as we have no dealer for 1200km. Overall the Storm is great fun to ride with plenty of grunt for overtaking road trains. Show details
Overall
MJB
MJB

MR Cooper
MR CooperBrisbane36 posts

yea ok

The bike sounds great , looks great. But repair bills farrrk!

I hope your a mechanic or know a cheap one if you own this bike.

Its like a mini ball of fun though and it looks quite retro

Overall to much for repairs if you dont care bout that then a good bike

badstorm
badstormChandler2 posts

Coolant leak

I had a 2014 Thunderbird Storm and had numerous coolant leak. Tightening the hose works but only temporarily. But, it has happen to me over 4 times within 15 months of owning the Thunderbird Storm. I had a triumph Bonneville before my storm and never once had an issue. Apparently, this is a well known issue among us Thunderbird Storm owners. We all have friends who ride different manufactures but non of them have coolant leaks like reported among us owners! Triumph replaced my 2014 Thunderbird Storm after numerous attempts to fix this issue. They replaced my 2014 with a 2015 Triumph Thunderbird Storm...guess what...same coolant leak within 26 miles!

PeterPerth5 posts

Poor Quality Shocking Service

Poorly designed and built. The chrome rusts quickly..The paint scratches easily and is thin..The engine exhaust decompression cam breaks and puts metal through the engine and gearbox ( before 20k kms) .Rides like a pig!! but the brakes are good. Dealers can't diagnose faults then you have to pay for there labour to replace faulty parts..then get your bike back in an unsafe condition.. Would I buy another Triumph NO!!

Trigi
Trigi4 posts

Disappointing

I purchased a Triumph Thunderbird Storm brand new in 2012, it was fitted with a K&N air filter and a Foran exhaust system. I weigh 81 kg and 5'11" tall, I rate the suspension as 4/10, the power 7/10, the exhaust 7/10 (high reverb) and handling 6/10. Other observations include a very noisy tick in the engine that drove me crazy and an extremely noisy belt drive from new. The paint is water based (gloss black) and scratches very easily. I have owned several big bikes Japanese and other. I look after my bikes and recently sold the Triumph for top dollar however I can honestly say that I will never purchase another Triumph. Current ride is a Harley sportstar and I am about to purchase a Suzuki Boulevard C109RT to replace the Storm.

Ugly
UglyQLDWide Bay-Burnett, QLD20 posts

Triumph Storm

I also love the storm I have a 2015 , had a kwaka 9 years ago & the storm is the closest thing I could find that was a cross between the street bike & crusier . The handeling & power is second to none , Some will complain about rear tier wear but that is caused by haveing fun twisting the right hand.

Update as have had the bike longer , I have changed tyers to the Pirelli Night Dragons , I will say they do not grip as well as the metzelers ( have to back right off in the wet and dont stick as well in the dry either ) . So I will be swapping back to the Metzeler as soon as I can .

johann
johannperth4 posts

noise engine

I have a storm at six thousand km the counter weight on the exhaust cam broke that caused a noise in the engine took it back to the dealer they checked it out yep we will replace the camshaft it took six weeks to get my bike back they did not airfreight the part I think they sent it by camel train I was not happy but it cost me nothing to get it fixed it runs well now love to ride this bike

Show reply

PeterNSWHunter Region, NSW6 posts

Peter

Had to replace exhaust camshaft as they break the decompression weights and chew metal off the head

Mark H
Mark HQueenslandTownsville, Queensland5 posts

Andrew
AndrewSydney5 posts

Tal
TalWAGoldfields, WA6 posts

Triumph Thunderbird Storm

You know how your favorite shirt feels soooo comfortable?? well this is how my Storm fits me! I purchased my 2013 Storm with 2500km on the clock. Xtras included short tors, dart screen,teebars, and black teardrop mirrors. From my first few kms traveled ive been in love! What a smooth, well balanced ride with grunt to burn!

I have since added a touring seat,grabrail, amsoil, K&N air filter,manufactured some highway pegs and most recently added a Power Commander v and will have it remapped and dynoed soon. Triumph have got a beauty here! Gear changes silky smooth and nice even braking all help to make this a great ride!

Show 4 replies