Triumph Thunderbird Storm

Listing monitored by Triumph

10 questions from our users

Andy I
Andy Iasked

Johann, I think I would give up on the factory cams. Try Gary at Triumph Performance Parts, or new-bonneville.com, or Neville Lush in Victor Harbor S.A. for custom performance cams.
Stronger, and more performance. Win/Win !!!!

shepp.
shepp.asked

Noise from bottom end cover engine R/H side when cold starting. 2012 model 14000KLM. Any ideas?

333Toni3
333Toni3

Hi, my 24.000 mile 2012 Storm sounds like its been hit with a hammer when starting from cold....but only from cold. l am still trying to find what is causing it but just letting you know yours isnt the only one.

loneyasked

gonna sound like a dumb question to some but here goes .... how many spark plugs are in a 2015 storm 1700?

OK. I found out. 4.

Geoff
Geoffasked

Hey I have a 2010 thunderbird with shorty pipes. Can the leather panniers be fitted with these pipes without heat affecting the panniers?
Thanks Geoff

Bull
Bull

I have custom pipes shorter than Triumph short pipes and no probs with my KLock bags

Pauline
Paulineasked

Is there vibration and noise on thunderbird storms

Peter

Most common fault noise and ticking/rattling sounds from the engine.
They also have coolant leaks with poorly designed pipes and hoses.
Want a big bore twin....buy a later model harley

badstorm
badstorm

I did not experience much vibration or noise. But the coolant leak and hoses are a major issue that I constantly had to take my motorbike in for service! Until they change that I honestly can not recommend the thunderbird storm.

kev

I have a Triumph Thunderbird, instagram (Trumpthunderbird), I also do all my work on the bike myself, I have found the vibrations are caused by THROTTLEBODIES not synced correctly and old spark plugs I change my plugs every oil change 10 000 ks, i know you may not have the bike but I will if you keep in touch show on instagram how to sync throttle bodies, and it works for me I have done 76 000 ks on my 1600, and I also THRASH it everywhere I go.its the best coolest THUNDERBIRD in WA

Pauline
Paulineasked

When sixth gear has been selected on my 2012 t/bird storm I get a grinding sound for second or two. This has now happened on two occasions can anyone explain please?

Trigi

That doesn't sound good. My suggestion is call Charley at Turn 1 Motorcycles in Melbourne and ask his advice Ph. 03 9372 1299. He specializes in Triumph's and is a gun mechanic.

kev

Changing gear in these bikes is a certain gear foot lever position requirement at start of riding these bikes, I found that changing the gears in Thunderbird model works easiest and best by very little clutch up and must be fast, if you are grinding the gears the lever position maybe to high and not being forced hard enough under load it takes little movement to get 6 th but if the peddle is to high the toe cannot drag it in fast enough thus causing a grind, try lowering the lever and bang it in hard, I also found that other riders are riding these massive heavy cruisers in a to lower RPM they will work there best in a higher RPM and dont travel 6th gear at low speeds 80ks and under, all you are doing is labouring the engine, if you cannot twist that grip and belt past a car at lower speeds you are with out doubt in the wrong rev range. you can see my THUNDERBIRD ON INSTAGRAM (TrumpThunderbird) Trust me they are animals. 76000 and still hard as.

Barry
Barryasked

Hi all,
I have a Storm 2015 and after some 5000 k's looking at fitting short pipes as I have read great reviews. Has anyone identified any real issues with performance if I change the fitted pipes to shorts??
Will I need to have the bike "tuned" as alluded in many comments??

Cheers,
Barry

Ugly
Ugly

Hi Barry ,
I have been told yes you need to do the remap to get the performance difference. I am looking at changing the catalac convertor first through a company in Gympie Queensland (Buy & bolt on your self) I met him on a poker run about 3 weeks ago. I have not had the chance to have it done yet but have spoken to others that said it gives the bike faster response from the twist of the throttle (they seemed to be very happy). I would suggest to give him a call or email before you did anything as he also makes shorty pipes also. Had another bloke say that he rode his bike without mufflers to Gympie from Brisbane (2 hours) & the bike was not that much loader as the catalac holds all the restriction & the std pipes don't do much to the sound (he had the cross over & short pipes fitted) Here are Meerkats details.

Web site = http://www.meerkatmufflers.com.au/ , Name : Peter , phone : (07) 5482 7553 , email: peter@meerkatmufflers.com.au

Also Let me know how you go Thanks Ugly

Trigi

I had a Foran exhaust fitted to my 2012 Storm with a K&N air kit, I do not believe the Foran system is available any longer, and yes you need to remap! I would even go as far to say that you should dyno tune to reduce occasional back fire through the airbox. My view is do it once and do it properly with someone who can support any ongoing issues you may have! The machines responsive performance will significantly improve especially after you discard that heavy old cat.

johann
johann

hi barry I had short pipes fitted to my storm the dealer told me I don't have to have it retuned but my bike was running a bit lean .anyway I removed the cat converter put on a set of gross over pipes from meerkat mufflers his name was peter got them in three days but then I also put on a power commander and had it put on the dyno for a tune up and now it runs beautiful plenty of power get rid of the cat hope that helps you a bit may cost a few bucks but the bike will run much better cheers

Shielsy
Shielsyasked

Thinking of investing in a 2011 triumph thunderbird storm, is there anything I should be keeping my eye on ? And what sort of price should I be looking to pay. It's from a triumph dealer, with 15,000 on the clock.

Mark H

I would be looking at around 15-16k with those km's on it should be good apart from that

Andrew

I agree with Mark. About 15-16k. But ... Bargain hard for any extras that catch your eye. Bib, saddle bag discount, shorties discount, back rest, wind screen, etc. They may have something just sitting around. Take it for nothing and still bargain for stuff! Even if they just throw in a pair of gloves and a Triumph T-shirt! Lol!

Nothing much goes wrong with these. Done 50k on mine and it's a Nov 2013 model. Just got back from a trip around TAS 2 weeks ago with the missus on the back and 8 other bikes. Only thing went wrong was I picked up a nail and had to do some road-side repairs. 10 mins later back on the road. Sweet.

Tal
Tal

Not sure about the price as im in kiwi land. I found the clamp cover on the right side exhaust header came off...its just a cover tacked on...i got some real nice imitation clamps from fast eddys...nice!..The bike itself ...awesome! They build them running a tad lean to meet strict emission control laws but you can add Short tors, decat, hiflow filter, power commander and dyno tune and you wont believe how nice it runs...it makes the bike "well"...Go for it...you will love it!.

Mark Hasked

I have a storm and had the decompression. Easy start mechanism snap off the exhaust cam. On doing some research. There are a few cases of this happening. Was wondering if anyone else had an issue with this? Seem to happen around 16000-20000km

G'day Mark.

I haven't had the decompression so I haven't experienced that problem.

The below address may assist you though, Mark. Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Peter

Yes Mark it's a common problem and not cheap to fix.... When you see how the decompression cam is designed its easy to relate to why they fail. Really poor engineering like the rest of the bike. Sell it I say before something else goes wrong

Benny
Benny

Hi Mark
I have just had the same issue on 2015 storm at 10,450 km 4 months out of warranty with warranty "Good will " rejected by Triumph I have appealed this and am waiting for response cost to fix is $1200. Not happy !

MemphisJoe
MemphisJoeasked

I understand that the Storm is one of the better handling cruisers in its class, and that's why I'm interested. But I would like to have floorboards... do the Triumph accessory floorboards reduce the lean angle/clearance of this bike?

Dave
Dave

Hi Joe , I am not a fan of boards but many people put them on the Storm. They will reduce the angle a bit . I have my heels down on the pegs so my boot touches before my pegs as a warning. If you go on the Facebook page triumph cruisers world wide you will find plenty of people with boards on their storms who will help you. Just like the page, get accepted and ask away mate . The people on their are always keen to offer help and advice. Hope this helps. If you get a Storm I doubt you will be disappointed . Good luck

Razorback
Razorback

The floor boards will contact the ground at tight lean angles, however, they fold as like the footpegs and therefore do not hinder much different to the footpegs.
I have floor boards for the passenger, but have maintained the original pegs up front as I have found it comfortable to sit the back of my heels on them when cruising, then providing a very comfortable cruise position.

If any thing the standard pipes are the item that can touch the ground, so I'm currently looking at fitting predator or hogslayer pipes, to provide both increased clearance and performance...

Roger
Roger

Hi Joe, I have the foot boards on mine, I had a hip injury when I was younger and sometimes after long rides when I had pegs the hip would bother me, with boards on I never have a problem. There is slightly less clearance than with the pegs but not a whole lot. And the do fold up. Smoother than the pegs when you do make contact. In my opinion you won't regret making the change.

Get an answer from our members and Triumph representatives

Other Cruiser Bikes