Urban Composter

3.2

Jas

JasPerth, WA

Great!

Shocked by all the negative reviews! I haven’t had a single issue with my urban composter, no smells, easy to use, no leaks! I did notice that there’s a FAQ section on the website to troubleshoot any leaks that may occur, but they do state that they have improved the design and test all the products to make sure they don’t leak! I live in a small apartment on my own and haven’t yet filled the bucket but when I do, I will hopefully have set up my own small compost bin on the balcony that I can add it to, alternatively I’ll share it through sharewaste.com or take it to my sisters house!

Purchased in February 2021 at Flora and fauna .

Keninoz

KeninozSydney, NSW

Several Years & No Problems

I've read a few comments here about the quality of this product. I've had mine for several years now. I always add a few sprays of the compost accelerator & have had no problems at all. No leaking tap, no odours, no mould outside the lid, no maggots etc.

In fact, I'm about to buy a second one to help with the rotation of the contents.

It's always met my expectations.

Purchased in September 2017 at On-line through manufacturer for $50.00.

Krystal

Krystal

Zero Waste!

I've been using the urban composter now for a couple of years and my small bins haven't failed me yet. I bought a few of the smaller sized ones to make it manageable for me and they work a treat. I love that I feed the worms in the soil, work on soil structure and reduce my red bin waste. I barely take the bin out to the curb anymore.

Compost Bins

Find out how Urban Composter compares to other Compost Bins

Bear25Wollongong

Yet to use

I was just reading the comments people were putting, where some had said there was mould, HELLO, mould is good if you went to a class as I did and learnt about it then you would know, also I saw someone else wanted the juice for the garden No not a good idea you don't use the juice as the fertiliser another one who doesn't have a clue, so glad I went to the 2 hour free council talk on this product and can't wait to use it :)

Date PurchasedSept 2018
Hayley P

Hayley PMelbourne

One step closer to zero waste!

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Peter S

Peter SMelbourne

A Very Simple Composter for the Kitchen

Date PurchasedSept 2017
L Dally

L DallySydney

Great Aussie made product!

Bought this great composter online after watching the war on waste. We searched for composting products and this looked amazing. It arrived promptly and we've used it for 2 months. It's easy to use, once you start doing this it's mind blowing to see how much less full the garbage bin is.
Thinking of getting a second one, as we had to wait a few days for the full bin to ferment.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Gregg

GreggSydney

Been working great for 2 years!

Date PurchasedJune 2014
Lea

LeaMelbourne

Fantastic system that works for our household

Compost Bins

Find out how Urban Composter compares to other Compost Bins

jameswilliams90gmail.com

jameswilliams90gmail.comSouth East Queensland, QLD

The Urban Composter worked for me

My Urban Composter works really well... I know another reviewer mentioned mould and it's really important that you remove excess moisture from the scraps before you put it in the bin. My tap doesn't leak and I dig the excess into the garden and the remainder is gone in a month or so. The spray keeps the contents smelling fresh and I find that it's cleaner than bokashi (if you've ever spilt it, you'll know what I mean!)
I think it works well on protiens like steak which bokashi doesn't work on

Wrightee

Wrighteeasked

i am having trouble with the spray bottle - doesnt seem to want to spray

cindy c
cindy c

with out knowing exactly the nature of your spray bottle not sparying I can only say if when you squeeze the trigger and it stops there is a piece of plastic just under the nozzle it should be sitting loosely in the slots of the trigger
If when you squeeze the trigger and nothing is coming out unscrew the nozzle and see if there is any liquid in the tube and check it is not blocked -- also check the nozzle spray unit is not blocked by poking a needle into it and make sure the hole is clear -- also check under the lid and see if the rubber seal is pushed in properly and isnt faulty
if still no luck I would request another one

Bear25

I only had a problem of the bottle at the top leaking no problem with it spraying as such.

Kath

Kathasked

Is the composter weather proof? We are in a small apartment and would like it outside on a bench. Kath

Bear25

It is heavy duty plastic and does come with an airtight lid as air has to be kept to a minimum inside however from the workshop I attended its best that it is not in the hot sun but more so in a cool dark place, hope this helps :)

Heta

Hetaasked

Hi, I have been using the Urban composter for ages and find it is brilliant. I bury the composted food scraps into my vegie garden which is now full of earth worms and very healthy. Unfortunately I live near Parramatta river and happen to be on the route for the river rats to get to the sewer system. I have above ground rat bats, done by professionals, which are attended to bi monthly. Up until 4 weeks ago the rats had never come anywhere near my vegie garden but after throwing out some rotten avocadoes have found tunnels dug into the soil each night to eat the vegies. I now fear they have found a new food source and wont leave the garden alone. I use plenty of accelerator but have now stopped burying scraps into garden. What can I do? Heta

While I'm certainly not an expert in your particular situation with rodents which sounds quite unique. Instead I would use what apartment dwellers use, which is a large flower pot filled with soil. The rodents are not going to be able to dig their way up through a pot. If you are concerned about them digging in, then try adding a large paver or some bricks to the top of the pot. Once the compost has broken down you should be able to successfully add the soil to your garden. I hope this helps!

Megan_Michie
Megan_Michie

Hi Heta,

I have had the same problem with rats enjoying my bokashi compost when it was dug into the soil and it did seem to attract them to dig up my veggies too. I think the fruity fermented smell attracts them, and even when humans can't smell it, their sensitive noses can. The rats kind of tunnelled in to dig up the compost in the plant beds. (At one point I wasn't using my bin so washed it out and put it outside my back door - the rats ate through the tap! Presumably they could still smell some juice in the tap.)

I don't think putting it into a pot is going to work - they may not be able to get in, but they will come because they can smell it and then eat whatever they can find nearby - ie your veggies - which is what happened to me. I tried it first with a large plastic pot half buried in soil, and they chewed through the base to get in, so if you are going to try, use a ceramic pot.

The only solution I found was to wait a lot longer for the compost to break down than the instructions say (several months more) - which became impractical because I didn't have somewhere to keep several months of compost or the soil-compost mix, that wasn't attracting the rats. So I buried it very deeply elsewhere in the garden, making sure it was completely covered by a lot of soil - which improves the soil at that spot, but sadly isn't giving your veggies the benefit of the lovely compost. (and I ran out of spots to bury it). Which is a real shame because if it weren't for the rats, it would be a great system, and the compost and liquid are fantastic for the plants and soil.

To be honest I ended up giving up on the composting and the veggie garden for a while because I was so discouraged that everything got eaten by the furry visitors. Eventually my landlord arranged for the rats to be baited and things improved. I am starting up again now at my own new house. I don't have rats here but there are a lot of possums - lets see if I am more successful here.

And another note - after the tap eating incident I had to replace the tap and I bleached the bin to be sure to be rid of any smell when I stored it for a while. There is probably good reason why the instructions say not to use bleach - the next batch didn't work well, but now its going OK again.

Good luck!
Megan

Seajay
Seajay

I use a worm farm/composter. I have fine mesh around the vents on the top tier to stop critters munching through the plastic. I have it raised on a stand as well which makes it hard for vermin to get to it. Compost seems to break down a lot quicker in worm composters than other types of composters.