Vellux Blanket

Vellux Blanket (page 2 of 2)

See the Best Sheets & Blankets in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Vellux Blanket? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Comfort

ellie1410Hervey Bay

Vellux blanket

I can not fault the VelIux blanket. I have 4 of these blankets that I bought about 11 years ago. They get used for about 3 months a year. and washed in Earth Choice wool mix detergent and stored away in pillowcases.

Date PurchasedMay 2006
LeeMandurah Western Australia

Falls apart

Date PurchasedApr 2014
Lee

With reference to my review above. Why is it that the blankets need to be washed every 3 months

Why is it you have to wash them every 3months

Waste of money. Lowest quality.

I bought two queen size blankets at Kohl's, each at $50+. I should have checked product reviews before purchasing and saved myself money and frustration. Although they look shiny, are lightweight and warm, they started to lose bits and pieces of material during regular use. First time wash, both shredded and made a complete mess in my washing machine. These should be labeled "Disposable Blankets - Discard After Use." A warning should be included to NOT wash as they WILL fall apart. I have the packaging and the label reads "Made in the USA by WestPoint Stevens Ind. New York..." - That's a discouraging fact when we make an effort to buy products made in the US and pay higher prices for poor quality material.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Find out how Vellux Blanket compares to other Sheets & Blankets

How can they sell this junk?

Purchased a martex blanket on eBay. Paid $40 for it. It fell apart completely in my washing machine. What a mess! Never have I seen anything like this happen before in my life. How can they sell this junk?

Date PurchasedMar 2017
sailor22
sailor22Ukiah, California - USA

Vellux Blanket-----It falls apart!!!

Initially it looks and feels great, but after a year or two it begins to fall apart; it absolutely begins to disintegrate. So, unless you like the feel of this thing so much you're prepared to buy a new one every year, forget it. If you want a blanket that lasts do not buy this blanket. Martex the maker of Vellux should be held accountable for putting this junk on the market.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Vellux blanket

Date PurchasedAug 2013
BM
BM

Doesn't like hot water, and disintegrates over time

I bought Vellux blankets for my son who tested allergic to dust mites. This was down to a shop assistant at David Jones who rang the company and asked if the product could be washed with hot water, as recommended by my son's doctor. The company rep said yes. Well, it can be washed weekly in hot water, but it reduces the life of the product to no more than a few years. And what a mess it makes of anything else in the washing machine, with bits of tuft coming off and attaching themselves to anything and everything. Not nice at tall. It's a bit of a pity given the product is not cheap. Otherwise, my son liked the blankets, and his friends always chose a vellux blanket when it came to sleepovers.

Date PurchasedJuly 2005

Great blanket... but doesn't last like a "real" blanket.

My wife has bought several over the year and they are great blankets... until they disintegrate.
If they are over a year or so old, don't even think about washing them. You will end up with a washing machine full of fleece and a nylon net.

Marianne
MarianneSydney

Total waste of money!

BIG DISASTER. Very disappointed when my favourit Vellux king-size blanket went in the washing machine. Washed according to the instructions (30C, mild detergent, soft spin cycle) and the lamination gave way and completely disintegrated into small little soft pieces ricegrain size. Not only did it block my washingmachine; it ruined the blanket and stripped it of it's colour. NO warranty of course as it was more than 6 months old BIG DISASTER. MY ADVICE: DON'T PURCHASE

Huge Disappointment

My 100% nylon Vellux blanket was lightly used for less than six months when a six square foot area delaminated and the fleecy material disintegrated. (It was never in the washing machine). WORST blanket I ever owned!

Bernadette Gadischkie
Bernadette GadischkieBundaberg Qld 4670

Keeping me warm

Wonderful warm and light weight

My blanket purchased in 2000 has blanket stitched sides and is in good condition
And is guaranteed d for 5 year domestic use.
No problem with moths like my original wool blanket

Louise
LouiseBrisbane

Never again!!!Very expensive for a product that is unfinished!

Although I love the weight and feel, these blankets are not an investment. Three times I have bought king or queen sized ones, at high prices (Australia). After two years the sides start pulling away from the mesh In between fabric, leaving pieces on the floor and a general shabby appearance. I follow the maintenance instructions, and store them in paper, as they are only on the bed for 6 months of the year.
Why not hem the sides? I tried this, but too late for my latest one, which has terminal rot, breaking apart more under my sewing needle.
I have woollen blankets from my Mother which are in perfect condition and are 50 years old.
At $200 for a blanket, I'll never buy or recommend them again.

Aroha
ArohaIllawarra, NSW

Retiring my Vellux

I have had my Vellux blanket for 20+ years (bought at Walmart whilst on a trip overseas) and was around 50 American dollars, in Australia it was then around 170 Australian dollars (King size). It has now started to develope small holes so have finally decided to retire it, (it may be because my nails pass through it when I pull it up) I am going to try and make it into a slightly smaller one. I LOVE IT
Light and warm
Far too expensive to buy now.

Excellent warmth from a lightweight blanket.

We purchased 2 King Size blankets a few years ago - we wanted a product that was lightweight and easily handled and these blankets fulfilled our expectations in that regard and proved most warm for their weight.
An excellent blanket if you are looking for one that does not feel heavy but also provides comfortable sleeping.
Fantastic after sales service.
Unfortunately, we had a problem with one of them recently. However, the manufacturer provided excellent service and replaced the faulty item.

Josie
JosiePerth, WA

Vellux Blanket disintegrating

My Vellux blanket is starting to disintegrate and I am very disappointed. The blanket was very expensive when we bought it and I thought it would last for many years.
I originally purchased the blanket instead of a wool blanket for allergy reasons and am sorry I did not make the decision to buy a wool blanket as purchases like these should last many many years.
Our family still has the woolen blankets mum used to use when we were kids. They are beautiful to feel and sleep under but do not seem to last the test of time.

Perfect for best sleep

I love this light weight blanket that is perfect for me going through the hot and cold sweats at night. Its warm and cosy and easy to throw off if I am having hot sweat. I challenge anyone to find anything wrong with this blanket. Very easy to wash and dry even in winter.
Lightweight and yet warm enough

Nadia

Fibres have come out of mine very easily. Not uncommon. This is second one this has happened too. Otherwise everything else u say is true. It worry some about breathing in fibres????

caitie85
caitie85AU

Vellux Happy!

I love my Vellux blanket - I throw it in the washing machine once a month during winter and hang it on the line to dry. It is super warm, yet light weight and it is a generous size. I thought at the time of purchase it was expensive, however I have had it now for 5 years and it still looks as good as new. I have 3 children and it has had many a thing spilt on it. Put it through the wash and it's as good as new.
Size, feel, warmth.

florabelle
Julieb61
Julieb61
Nadia

Me too same problem. Plus worry about fibres going into my lungs

Ro S
Ro Sasked

I have had my blanket 2 years, wash it mid season and before I put it away in spring. This year I have noticed a small hole in it, like a moth hole. Why is this?

Jillasked

Washing my new Vellux blanket would not be easy too big for my washing machine and no way I could manage it by hand. What happens to it if I do not wash it ? Bought a t David Jones at Tuggerah NSW

MandyT

Hi Jill, You will find It probably will fit in a washing machine, even a small one, as it's very thin and light - even if it is a king size. They fit easily in our regular household washing machine without a problem. We only wash ours every now and then, if they have a mark on them basically. We use them in our motel. It would be fine to not wash it for quite a while. We hang ours outside on a clothes line often to give them a good airing, but we don't wash them a whole lot. The main problem I've found with ours is that they fray along the sides and the bottom end as not all of them are folded over and hemmed on all sides. I have purchased about 8 and only one was hemmed all the way around. The others just have a zig zag stitch around the 3 edges. I hope this helps :-)

Jill

Many thanks, Mandy, for your helpful answer. I did buy one several years ago and it was never the same after I washed it in small washing machine. It came out with white streaks all over it and was such a mess I threw it away. Have always regretted not returning it to Myer because I washed it before using it and so never got any use out of it. I thought that over the years they may have improved, but was dismayed to read about the requirement to wash it every three months. It will only be used in our household and so I will not worry too much about the washing. Thank you again for your assistance.

ellie1410

I wash mine every year after winter use. Have had no problems. If you think your machine is too small take it to a laundry-mat they have much larger machines.

Marlilynasked

My Vellux blankets have a "chemical smell" is this a health hazard? Also they produce alot of dust? check this out when they are dry on the line, after a shake. My blankets also have what looks like moth holes. I use them on the beds for my guests at my bed and breakfast.

No I do not notice a chemical smell & I do not notice partials of dust after washing Maybe it is the type of washing powder I use a liquid &bit is fine as for the holes in the product I think that is the weave of the product $ when you hold it up to light it is more noticeable I have used one of these blankets since 2005 & I think I would have noticed before if these concerns were a worry. My daughter has purchased a blanket for use in her caravan & used the blanket 3 or 4 times in late winter & she would have certainly noticed if there were a broblem. Good luck Bernadette

Marlilyn

when they are wet on the line I can take fingertips full lint from them. I also use liquid wash. Thank-you for your response. They are made in Australia.

MandyT

Hi Marilyn, I have the same problem with ours with the lint. Each time I wash them they look like they've washed with a facial tissue. Small bits all over them. I have used both liquid and granule washing powders, both with the same result. I usually put mine over something large to dry (or on the clothes line) and then have to brush-o-matic the bits away. It's a slow process and takes ages :-( When the blankets were first purchased they did have a funny smell to them, but it disappeared after a while. Because the blanket fabric is veryyy stretchy and thin, it's quite easy to put a hole in them just with fingers, by making the bed. We have to be very careful of that,