Victa Corvette GMS484 (725, 4 Stroke)

Victa Corvette GMS484 (725, 4 Stroke)

Victa Corvette 725

Victa Corvette 725ex is fairly good mover, but after 8 months old, it pouring white smoke and oil out of the exhaust, without any warning, it got me very scared, it I have to buy another lawnmower in the near future, it will be definite a Honda engine lawnmower.
Victa Corvette 725 Series 19" 4-stroke steel chassis mower 190cc Ready start. No priming/no choke for easy starting with Mulch & Catching Capabilities. 725 Series 190cc Ready Start 4 Stroke Engine,Aero grip handles for easy use,18 " Edge to Edge Cutting Steel Chassis,Mulch & Catching Capabilities,Large 8" Dual Bearing Wheels,Rigid plastic catcher, 3 year engine/chassis warranty.

Victa Corvette 725 GMS484 4 Stroke Push Mower

After being a 2 stroke man my entire life, the day came where my Victa Commando 2 stroke mower overheated one time too many and I could not get her to start again. I called for help to the one man I knew would not pull a bag over my head.....

My brother-in-law is one of those fellows who can do absolutely anything with mechanical things (trust me he has saved me literally hundreds of dollars on doing things such as wheel bearing replacements, starter motor installations, etc), I sought out his skills on fixing the 2 stroke, which he did without hesitation...and after he took out the spark plug, pulled the cord and we watched as fuel shot out from where the spark plug once was until the mower started again.....he gave me some advice....

My brother-in-law convinced me that 4 stroke was the way to go for a few reasons:
1) The carby on the old Victa 2 strokes was always troublesome;
2) 4 stroke mowers do not overheat easily;
3) The neighbours (as well as myself) would appreciate the level of quietness a 4 stroke offers over a 2 stroke;
4) A big CC motor will make for an easy cutting mower.

So when looking for a new mower, I got his nod of approval on the specs of the Victa Corvette 725 before purchasing....and now that I have bought it I can tell you this: the Victa Corvette 725 is a total rip snorter of a mower!

1st things first. RRP was (in September 2011) $599.00.
I phoned 5 shops to see what the best price I could get.
Shop in Sunbury VIC said $569.00
Shop in Bacchus Marsh VIC said $578.00 but they would match Sunbury.
Shop in Melton VIC said $649.00 till I advised them the RRP was only $599. After apologising they offered to do a deal at $568.00 without me telling them the Sunbury / Bacchus Marsh price.
Shop in Deer Park VIC would not budge from RRP......just no desire to budge at all.
Shop in Mansfield VIC said $569.00. I went with them because they were closest to my home at Bonnie Doon VIC where this mower was to be stationed.
So, in short, 5% off RRP was fairly standard fare.....and I am not one to press home for bigger discounts.

2nd the shop prepared the mower prior to me picking it up. All oiled and fueled. They showed me how to insert the Mulcher, and advised to not tip the mower to the side or to the front.....else oil would get intro the air filter. Good tip.....wish I had taken more notice at the time........

5 hours of mowing leads to the first service. 1st service is really just an oil change. Saying that, they showed me how I had tipped the mower (which I admitted to) and how oil had soaked the air filter. A replacement air filter ($10) was required, and was NOT a freebie under warranty (nor should it be considering I was forewarned, but not very good at listening!)

Anyway, mowing....this mower starts 1st time, every time.
No need to prime....no matter cold weather or hot it starts with a single (and light) pull of the cord.
It carved through tough, country grass that was 2 feet high (on highest level setting - not lawn perfect height) without the mulcher on. Then a week later with the mulcher on, and set to a nice low level, it belted out an MCG look-a-like surface.

The blades extend all the way to the edge of the deck, so you can really get a lot more grass cut each pass....and really close to the fence line!

Fuel consumption is incredible. 1 tank (just over a litre) lasted 2.5 hours solid....and by solid I mean I mowed 4 hours straight the first time, and only had to use the jerry can once.

The Corvette 725 has that feeling of pure power. 9.8Nm of grunt, but with such great wheels that it just feels light to the touch as it glides across all manner of terrain.
Nice deck that does not retain much of the grass clippings is a plus to me, as I like to clean up after each mow. Saying that, the paint on the handle scratches very easily when you go through the rought stuff, so the "pristine" look will not last long.

The mulcher is not the easiest thing in the world to put in place, so i would not recommend this mower to an older person who would need to kneel down to insert the mulcher (so as not to raise the mower up thereby flooding the air filter with oil like I did!) unless they intended to never mow without the mulcher in place (thereby leaving it there all the time).

The air filter placement adjacent to the oil reservoir which is not sealed to prevent leakage is a rather silly thing in my opinion. In effect it means that if you have an undulating lawn you need to carefully consider the direction you mow so that you do not tip the mower too much to the right (thereby tipping the oil onto the air filter).

4 blades really does a great job of mulching, and the variable height adjustment of the deck permits plenty of air flow when cutting through the long stuff.

I would recommend it to anyone who has a large mowing area, as it just goes and goes without overheating.

I would recommend it to anyone who needs to battle bush grass.....folk from the bush will know what I am talking about.....grass that you just do not find in suburban gardens because it is so thick and coarse. It will get through the toughest stuff, and if it stalls for any reason it will start again with a single pull.

I would recommend it to anyone who is concerned that because it is not a Honda, then it must not be any good.....this machine IS a performer of the highest calibre, and I am not disappointed that I bought it.

This machine is not cheap, but it is not the most expensive machine either. It has the Victa name, and a B&S motor on it that sounds lazy, but works like a true champion.

If you are colour conscious, the handle is black, the deck is mottled machine grey, and the engine cover is red.

It has plenty of pros, and only a single con (my constant reference to a $10 air filter replacement should give you a hint as to the con).

Overall I am giving 4 stars to the Victa Corvette 725.
1 pull start; mows to the edge of the deck; fuel efficient; quiet; cuts a swathe through tough grass
bad placement of air filter adjacent to oil reservoir

Excellent Aussie Mower

Bought this mower 9 months ago to replace an old Victa 550 self-propelled. I looked at lots of different brands at the time but the victa came up best on price and features. If you are looking at mowing a large size area then this mower is spot on. Works great with the catcher or with the mulch plug.

Thought I would do an update on the above review.

Mower is now 6 years old, still starts first time every time and I mean every time.

I mow approx 500 sq meters every 7 to 10 days throughout the year, it will handle wet grass but I normally mow when it is dry.

I change the oil, air filter and blades once a year and thats it.

The drive wheels are getting close to needing replacement and I will probably do the drive belt at the same time.

If I had a complaint, and it would be minor, it is the handle locking mechanism seems a tad loose even when it is adjusted right up which allows a small amount of movement in the handle, although it has not caused a problem at all just me being picky I guess.

One more thing to be aware of with these mowers, is if you mow an area with lots of gumnuts on the ground and I mean the ones about the size of a pea, is they can get flicked up into the drive pulley and cause the belt to come off which can be tricky to get back on.

Overall I would rate these mowers highly and would recommend them to anyone mowing a large area.
Aussie made. Starts first time every time. Love that it's self-propelled.
Nothing yet.

Just to add to the question put 29/1/2016 the retailer thought they would solve the problem by lifting the engine about 5mm and increasing the revs to 3200rpm from 2800rpm. This had minimal effect but obviously created a further problem as it pushes the chassis further down into the cut area when attempting to cut at the same level. I have to lift the mower up one notch which does not cut the grass low enough. I am no technical person but clearly the problem is with the base plate which does not clear the grass to the catcher but the front wheel. It needs additional guard around the front of the plate and right front wheel. If any one can assist with the name of a good repair centre in Newcastle that can identify this problem please advise. Otherwise it will be a new mower and a waste of some hundreds of dollars thanks to Victa.
I don't own this particular model of Mower though I'd recommend putting it back the way it is . you also have the option of buying another mower altogether

Further to previous question and response. Victa Corvette 725 190cc. Purchased January 2013. Steel chassis. Will not pick up grass well. Cut grass accumulates at right front wheel and spreads back over cut portion. Need to mow lawn twice to pick up cut grass. Supplier says yes they do that. Why does grass accumulate at right front wheel and how can this be rectified? I cannot keep mowing lawn twice and will purchase another mower if need be but not a Victa. In response to an answer the issue has been there since new so it is not the blades. It is not related to a full catcher, there is an enormous amount of grass accumulating at right front wheel. Will not pick up this grass. It is noted as the blades spin they spin below the base plate at the front. Could this be a problem? Does anyone else have this problem? It does not happen with the new alloy chassis.
Finds answers on google search or ask someone else , cheersThe Corvette Alloy 725 exi has the same problem of seriously accumulating grass at the right rear wheel, the only answer to the problem is for Victa to stop being cheap and fit wheels with inside "covers" as they did previously, alternately, you need to fit a plastic shield yourself. I am also disappointed that they do not make a "Super Chute" for this mower as it is a hybrid of the self propelled mower and has plastic covers over some of the under-carriage which blocks fitting of a standard chute, again; better engineering design by Victa is required. I am currently working on adapting a chute to beat this problem. The takeover by Briggs & Stratton appears to have created a cheaper quality product.Just to add to the question put the retailer thought they would solve the problem by lifting the engine about 5mm and increasing the revs to 3200rpm from 2800rpm. This had minimal effect but obviously created a further problem as it pushes the chassis further down into the cut area when attempting to cut at the same level. I have to lift the mower up one notch which does not cut the grass low enough. I am no technical person but clearly the problem is with the base plate which does not clear the grass to the catcher but the front wheel. It needs additional guard around the front of the plate and right front wheel. If any one can assist with the name of a good repair centre that can identify this problem please advise. Oher wise it will be a new mower and a waste of some hundreds of dollars thanks to Victa.

Corvette GMS484 (725, 4 Stroke)
Power SourcePetrol