Victa Corvette VGMS488 (500, 4 Stroke)

Victa Corvette VGMS488 (500, 4 Stroke)

2.0 from 1 review

Poor Quality Mower With a Good Quality Engine

I bought this mower to replace my old Victa after it eventually died after 40-ish years of service. I don't know whatever happened to the iconic bulletproof Victa mowers that we grew up with? My new mower is no comparison to the previous one that it replaced.

Yesterday the handle snapped off at the attachment point where you can fold the handle over for transport or storage. The thin gauge steel has snapped completely through from the outer edge to the central fastener hole and then through to the opposite outer edge. You can see where it has snapped through just how thin the steel is - my old meccano set metal parts were about as thick as the steel in this handle. The mower is 4 years old and the handle has never been folded down, it has always been used and stored in the shed with the handle in the upright position. I would have expected a mechanical issue with the engine well before a structural problem with handle. Looking at reviews on this site of other Corvette models, it looks like I am not the only one to have experienced a broken handle.

The underneath side of the steel cutting deck is already showing considerable signs of rusting, even with cleaning after use and before storing in the shed. Time will tell how long it takes before it rusts completely through. In hindsight, an alloy deck would have been a much better choice. I would never go for a steel deck again.

The plastic wheels on this mower are very thin and flimsy. I am very careful when wheeling it on my gravel driveway in fear of damaging the wheels, which I don't have much hope for. Being hollow, they always fill up with grass clippings which are a pain to hose out and clean up.

On a positive note, the Briggs & Stratton engine is powerful and reliable. It has loads of oomph to cut through the grass without any problems. It mulches very well, I rarely use the catcher so I can't really comment on how effective it is.

Overall, I would describe this mower as having a good quality powerful engine mounted on a very cheap, poor quality thin metal and plastic mower. Say goodbye to the good quality iconic Victa of old that we all trusted - a legacy that they are desperately trying to cling on to, however this won't last very long when consumers wake up to the rubbish that they are mounting a decent engine on to.

Date PurchasedJun 2013