Victa Mustang MMX485 (4 Stroke, 160CC)

Victa Mustang MMX485 (4 Stroke, 160CC)

See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Quite disappointed.

Bought from Bunnings 2016-17 for over $800. Started first go, but as time has gone on, VERY hard to start. Great once it starts though. But my biggest complaint .... it cuts the grass shorter when I pull it backwards than forwards. I end up with two levels if I alternate the direction :( so I am basically doubling up on my mowing unless I constantly go forward, and that is not always feasible. I made enquires with Bunnings but the man there just looked at me like I was from outer space and said he never heard of this before. Also the handle clamps come undone after 15 minutes of mowing. My total mowing takes about 1 hour.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Big disappointment from day one ...

I bought my Mustang 3 and a half years ago. Always been so difficult - and exhausting - to start. And yes I do have it serviced. The most annoying thing is the plastic catcher keeps falling off. Any vibration or slight slope and it's falling off. For a half hour of mowing this could happen 7 or 8 times ... I am so fed up with it. I know it is put on correctly. The cutting is okay and the engine seems powerful enough. I paid $800 for it and I don't think it is up to the price. Would I buy Victa again .. no way.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Impossible to start ....but there is a work around solution!!!!!

I won't rehash other reviews...I find this mower to be powerful and good at cutting once you get it started, which can take half an hour. The difficulty starting was noted when the machine was still under warranty and was temporarily fixed by the service center only to return after another couple of months.

There is a work around solution, a product called "Start Ya [word removed]" which is a starting fluid. It actually operating theater anesthetic, seriously! It's available at Autobahn for $10 a spray can and will last for years. Once you get your technique down pat it cold starts the mower on the first pull.

Here's how to use it. Place the hand control lever on "run" not "choke". Fill the tank with petrol, open the fuel tap, remove the air filter cover, remove the air filter . Spray starting fluid into the black inlet hole in the center of the air cleaner for three seconds (no longer!). Replace the filter and replace the cover. Pull the stater cord and it should start immediately. For a video demonstration of the use of starter fluid get on to YouTube, the are a ton of videos.
The technique for accessing and removing the air filter cover plate and air filter is different for every brand, which is the hard part. I wish I knew of this technique twenty years earlier. It saved this mower from going in the bin.
Happy mowing!

Date PurchasedFeb 2011

When a Honda is not a Honda

Honda make great engines but not on this mower. The GCV 160 seems to be a cheap end motor from Honda Corp. From day one this mower has been next to impossible to start. If you enjoying pulling a starter cord over and over again then purchase this mower. Out of interest, I also inspected the cylinder with a borescope recently and was shocked to find vertical scoring on the cylinder wall. My mower is not that old and I change the oil very frequently and maintain it to a high standard. I would not buy one of these mowers again. My dad's old Victa is 30 + years old and still runs - I doubt this will.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Better than previous honda

Had a few Honda mowers over the years and bought another one with the bag style catcher... it was hopeless.. traded it back in for this victory/ Honda combo.Much better but like a lot of owners here after a while it was hard to start. I found two issues...major problem is that the throttle cable slips forward and then the choke won't close. Second problem was i had left fuel sit too long in the tank unused.
Readjusting cable is easy... just loosen clamp and pull cable back until you see it contact and start to move the choke tab at bottom of throttle/ choke mechanism.Otherwise it's been an ok mower....just keep an eye on throttle cable slippage.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

You can never go wrong with a Victa

You can never go wrong with a Victa, starts every time, cuts thick tall grass, have had no issues what so ever. Sometimes it blows a little smoke when first start it but after that it goes away, not a deal breaker by any means. easy to clean with a hose and water which I do after every use.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great mower - once you get started!

I chose this mower for the Honda engine, which purportedly stars first time every time. Since buying it I've found, like many other reviewers, that starting this mower can be hit and miss. A few months in, after performing the basic checks I was comfortable undertaking, I gave up and took it down to the crew down at Sanderson Engineering (Osborne Park). The guys there are amazing at getting mowers, line trimmers etc back to peak performance. I can't recall exactly what they changed out (in addition to replacing the blades, oil, air filter, etc) but it's been running great since.
This mower can handle almost any length of grass, and some relatively rough terrain. The mulch plug works exactly as I'd hoped it would, and the hose attachment point makes it very easy to flush out any residual clippings (which usually accumulate if the lawn is damp).
Fuel consumption has been fine. I've tried to use only 98RON to keep it clean (as that's what I fill my car with). While there's probably little to no benefit in putting 98 in a mower, it doesn't use much fuel so there's also little to no cost difference either. I'd like to believe it's cleaner in there as a result, but who knows...

Date PurchasedOct 2016

It is helpful.

The mowers' cutting results is ok. However, you need to be patient when the slope is very steep. It is not easy to keep the balance of the mower. When the grass is long, the mower could get very hot, and need to cool down for several times when the working area is large.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Victa Mustang with Honda Motor

Great mower much improved with the Honda motor.i had a previous model and the new Hondas are great. Benefits of these mowers

- 19" cut
- alloy deck - light and mo rust
- cuts close to the edge
- smooth running wheels, much better than cheap mowers
- mulch ability

If you have a larger lawn area you can't go wrong with this mowe

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Very happy with this mower

Bought this mower just over 12 months ago from a Victa dealer. The mower was full of oil and fuelled ready to go - it was test run by the dealer to ensure there were no problems. It always starts first time and I have never had any problems with the catcher falling off. If the grass is wet when mowing with the mulch attachment clippings tend to be left behind in rows. Because of this I use the catcher on wet grass and mulch when dry.
At this stage I see no reason why I wouldn't recommend this Victa to anyone in the market for a new mower.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

What a shame. Always been a reliable machine. Not anymore. Dont waste ur money

Absolutely Rubbish.
I gave up my Honda for it as of a small chute problem but this is even worst, takes probably 25-35 Pulls and it's not even 1.5 yrs old, brand new condition.
Called someone named [name removed], Top Guy in victa and he said take it to the nearest service shop to get it checked, and they recon i have tilted it the wrong way, the oil gone everywhere, whereas the problem is with the acceleration mechanism.
Anyway they don't wanna know me anymore after filling their pockets with $780 which I gave them 1.5 yrs ago with 2 years manufacture warranty.
DONT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS BRAND. You will regret it till it dies.
VICTA has gone down Big Time.
It's a cheap one now.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Victa - another reliable brand that has gone to the dumps ?

I purchased this from Bunnings , Stafford, Brisbane in May 2014 for $749.00. This mower seemed solid and worked really well for the first 18 months. It started easily, and was quite powerful. It has a Honda engine on the Victa frame. Unfortunately the flimsy plastic casing for the air filter was damaged when I brushed up against some shrubs. It's clips broke, and the casing needed to be replaced two months ago. Not long after, all power was lost from the motor. After taking it back to Bunnings, I was told that the carburetor needs to be repaired at my expense even though It has a two year warranty. I have bought Victa mowers for over 20 years and never had to get the carbie repaired, especially after 18 months. For me Victa mean't quality. I think that the design and materials used in this mower make it a suboptimal product, especially with the price tag. I will not be buying Victa ever again.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Great mower

I bought this mower from bunnings mainly because of the Honda engine and Cast Alloy chassis. Previously owned a VICTA 2-stroke for 20 years without any major issues. I must say this VICTA Mustang is a lovely lawn mower. Started 1st go, catcher did not fall off (and my yard slopes with lots of bumps) and I found it easy to use. It also has a hose port on the chassis where you attach your hose to clean the underside of the mower. Being 19inch I actually found I mowed my lawn quicker than before. I now look forward to mowing my lawn.
I would definitely recommend this mower.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Catcher dropping off

Recently bought the mustang from Village Mowers Ingleburn. Very happy with the sales and first service.
But after a few months the catcher is dropping off the mower as you cut the lawn.
The mower is back at Village Mowers where Victa says some modifications are required.
Village have already this year had a customer back with the same problem, it's a pity Victa cannot design a mower where everyone's catcher stays on.

Great mower, Easy to start but catcher won't stay on!

I have had my Victa mustang for 2 months now. It's easy to start, easy to clean after use and cuts my lawn well. I have had trouble getting the catcher to stay on. I go a few meters and it works its way loose spilling the contents. As I read I can see this is a problem with this model. Hopefully a fix is in the works by victa.

Go to a dealer

OWNED 1 YEAR so far no Problems. Purchased Jan 2015

These are good mowers however you'll be disappointed if you purchase one from bunnings for the following reasons

- They don't advise you to fill your machine with engine oil prior to starting the mower. There are no visible stickers or anything on the mower. As these mowers are packaged they don't have much oil in them so if you start them with out filling with oil you will ruin the machine. When I got a spare spark plug from my dealer told me they have no end to the grief that is caused by Bunnings not advising customers that the mower needs to be given oil prior to starting the machine.

- If you purchase this machine from Bunnings it will mean that you will need to put it together. This is fairly easy. However you must not turn these machines on their side to check the blade or the oil will flow to your air filter. If you need to replace the blades you should also empty the machine of oil first. When you purchase the machine the blades are not in position so prior to placing oil in the mower, you can place the blades in the correct position. But having said am not looking forward to having to replace these blades are not easy to change if you don't know what your doing

- If you purchase this machine from bunnings you don't get tips on how to run the machine from a professional dealer who knows what he is talking about.

- These machines have a choke so be careful when you start the machine that you return the idle position back to run not choke. If you don't you will place carbon all over your spark plugs and then the machine will not start. Additionally if you run the machine on choke for a long period for a long time the machine will back fire. TIP: If the machine is running rough, look at the gage to confirm you have it in run not choke

- If you need the machine repaired you will need to take the machine to a registered victa dealer. Bunnings do not do the repairs.

- These machines have a plastic top that staches easy so becareful

- The catcher on these machines are a little tricky to replace properly. If you don't put it in place properly it will fall out.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

It's not a great mower.

Not that happy with this mower,sure it cuts grass and also mulches but like other people said it can be a pain to start when cold also the handle has a lot of up/down play in it and yes it's on tight,I cheaped out on this as I wanted a Honda without the price tag but in hindsight I should've spent the extra because now I really hate mowing my lawn (something I used to love doing) I've even got my local mower man in a few times.
Also I feel half the time I use this I'm fighting with it to actually turn etc and I put that down to the lose handle and that just causes lower back pain and makes me hate it even more,after using this for two seasons I'm in the market for a new mower and it's even changed my mind about Hondas and also victa.
I'd give it one star but the thing does cut the grass so it does do the job.

Almost an excellent mower. Great cut and pickup up, but problems with catcher.

Had the Victa Mustang MMX485 for 4 months and overall it is a great machine and almost worthy of a 10 out of 10, almost! But has one key design flaw that is very annoying.
The Victa Mustang MMX485 has started on first pull each time, even the kids an wife can start it. Even starts when on the grass. Even starts first pull if stopped for 5 minutes. Starting ease was a key selection criteria, as I had an 20 year old high end Masport with a Briggs & Stratton 4stroke, but as it aged it became very hard to start and no one else would but me would persist to start it.
The cut from the Victa Mustang MMX485 is very neat and even and everything goes into the catcher. It’s like a mower vacuum cleaner. Packs the clippings in to the catcher to the brim.
Easy to push and seems very solid and will hopefully last for 20 years.
BUT the catcher clamp arrangement is a strange setup and is very temperamental. The catcher will release at the slightest bump and blows grass everywhere and over you. I have a fairly even yard and the catcher will detach every 5 minutes or so. This can be very annoying when it happens near the patio or a pool. I have taken extra care when installing the catcher and checking all mating surfaces, but still drops open.

My old Massport had a hook on each side and only came off when you took it off. I am hopping Victa review the design and supply a mod or replacement catcher. I plan to contact Victa support to see what they recommend.

Buyer beware!

We purchased a Victa Mustang GCV 160 over head cam lawn mower from Bunnings in March 2014. This machine is now 18 months old, but we have had problems starting it since the day it was purchased. Although we have replaced the filter and the spark plug, (and always make sure it has petrol and oil), it regularly takes many hundreds of attempts to start it (yes, hundreds - I am not exaggerating at all). This problem is now getting worse - at first it would only take a few dozen attempts, or 15-20 minutes or so. Now it takes hours, and a few hundred attempts. On some days, we cannot get it started at all, and are left physically exhausted from repeated attempts. I am guessing that being 18 months old, it is probably out of warranty, however if Victa care about retaining a life long customer and supporter of their brand, then they will need to rectify this situation. I am simply not going to accept paying over $700 for a lawn mower that does not perform as it should, and frequently does not work at all! I am incredibly disappointed in this Victa product.