Virgin Mobile Broadband

Virgin Mobile Broadband (page 2 of 9)

See the Best Internet Service Providers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Crap. Data being used when nothing connected to it

Burned through 4gb of data in one morning, despite being at work and having no other devices connected to it. I used to get by with 3gb of data on my phone, but got this, so I could just be a little more free with the internet on my phone, and all of a sudden, where I used to use 2gb per month, I'm using 12gb in a few days, although my browsing habits are the same. Go figure.

John

JohnMount Dandenong

Virgin Mobile

I have been using Vodafone Mobile broadband over the last year. I live in a remote area and reception was variable often depending on the weather. I recently switched to Virgin Mobile Broadband and the reception is much better for me where I live. The customer service is quite good. I have an issue with Virgin that they make it hard to know how much data you have used. Another drawback is that getting extra data beyond 25 gb is expensive and not much is offered. Hopefully in the future they will offer more data if needed at a good price.

Forget Boost

Forget BoostVictoria

Crap. I can get 11 Gb of data and unlimited calls (incuding to mobiles) for $40 from Boost

reviewer009

reviewer009Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Pathetic & incredibly frustratingly bad.

I've had enough. I am lucky if I get 2mbps download speed when i was getting 15mbps with telstra. It's a waste of $40 per month for 12GB. I would expect at the very least 5mbps download speed . If i had known it was going to be this slow I would never have gone with Virgin.

LB Joum

LB JoumSunny Coast

Still happy with Virgin

I have been looking for landline ISP because I have been using more data and want to try netflix. Have had phone (2GB) and mobile wifi (6GB) with virgin for years. Always have to watch my data, but this month I have used most of it right in the beginning of the data cycle. It is proving complicated to get landline data so I did online help with virgin and for an extra $10 have gone to 12GB mobile wifi, still month to month (no contract) with BYO and kept my other discount for phone bundle. So easy and now I can relax while I keep thinking and looking for land-line data. Love Virgin and still do.

Lou

Lou

Beware SPAM

Around 3 years ago I closed my virginbroadband email account. For the past few weeks I have been getting advice from friends that they are receiving SPAM with my old virginbroadband address in use as the sender. It would appear someone has hacked my old account! I cannot be bothered hanging on the end of the phone trying to ring Virgin re this problem as it could take hours to get through to someone in the Philippines who probably won't be very interested.

Nomadicman

NomadicmanSydney

LOUSY respect for the customer

brians5

brians5Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

OK But Varies Enormously from Rural to City.

Slow B/Band Speed

Yes, I have had big problems with my 4g 12 gB plan started off slow & now nothing at all. My partner has the same problem with her 3g, the whole system is a failure & the people you speak to are in the Phillipines, so how can they correct anything they said they will send me a new sim card, it will be interesting to see if this corrects my problem, then my partner, I think we will be looking for another provider total dead loss.

superdecoder

superdecoder

4G works really well

UPDATE: 05/12/2015- I have been using Virgin Mobile Broadband since 2013 and its works really well. Speed is good enough for streaming videos and I will definitely recommend it.
Packaged data size appears good value for money
Terribly slow

electroboy

electroboySouth East Queensland, QLD

Total waste of money

Very unreliable service, they were good 6 months ago now its like dialup speed and less, thanks virgin broadband visp for the useless service.

Ghangham Style

Ghangham StyleAU

Disgraceful Customer Service

Network is slow and not good for remote areas.
On top I tried to get in touch with customer service team and mission was unsuccessful.
After long delays couldn't get in touch with customer service, I thought that must be a busy day so tried again but still same. Now I am locked in for 24 months wish I never signed up for Virgin phone.

Time to change

Time to move to Optus $70 for 50 gig!!!! Virgins $40 plan seems to be chewing data rather quickly! I've had enough of not getting value for money!

Anastaciababe
Anastaciababe

I agree my data went in 3 days and my computer was off! I wonder how that might happen!

tania

taniaSydney

Good

I am posting a positive review of this service so that people considering it will have a more balanced view. I have had the 12GB $40 a month plan for 1 year and have had no problems with it. Sometimes it's slow, but I'm ok with that given the price. I've had no problems streaming from YouTube or doing anything I need to do on the internet. I don't do any gaming though. For me, and others like me, who can't easily set up a phone line for broadband this works great. My only issue is that I need more data.

Connection Type3G/4G Mobile Broadband

Speed slower than dial-up!

Can't believe how slow it is most of the time. I am lucky if I get a speed greater than 100 kbps, it has just been less than 1 kbps. It reminds of the beginning of internet with dial-up when sometimes it took minutes to send an email. I have used mobile broadband in 3rd world Cambodia and it is way better than Virgin Mobile Broadband. It is so slow it will be interesting to see if this review will even load!!!!

Dogsy

Dogsysydney

Rubbish. It doesn't work most of the time.

Simply the worst mobile broadband product on the market. It has to be reset every time we need to use it. Lots of dropouts and simply not worth the $40 a month.

willsyd

willsydAU

Charged for uploads! very expensive!

Virgin charge for Uploads. My uploads equaled or exceeded downloads. So the $40 a month for 12gb turns out to be $40 for 6gb. Noticed a lot of complaints thought would give it a go. Lucky could cancel plan prior to 7day cooling off.

The download speed was about 800kb/s which was quite good or a fair speed. I don't think its worth comparing wireless to the fixed line broadband.

The only saving grace was the 7day cooling off period! You will not be able to cancel after 7 day period.

Heaven

HeavenSydney

good enough in remote town

Got Virgin mobile broadband Internet modem used in a remote town of NSW. Not bad signals. This is the value of network, a bit limited budget on data. Prepaid is easy control of spending on Internet as well. Virgin has the value of mobile network, not good value for data.

Clive

CliveVictor Harbor SA 5211

Total Frustration.

Worst decision I ever made to go with Virgin 12 Gig plan,,,,a total waste of $40.00 per month....Most of the time it drops out and the download speed when it is working is useless almost all the time...Soon as 12 month contract finishes if not before its goodbye to Virgin for good...Stay clear of them if you want service and reliabilty

Connection Type3G/4G Mobile Broadband

12GB $40 per month plan? Don't even bother!

Speeds are atrocious! I can get up to 20 Mbps line speed with my pre-paid Optus SIM, up to 17 Mbps with my phone SIM with Vaya but can only get around 1 Mbps line speed with Virgin! (that's on a good day).

Good luck trying to watch any YouTube videos without interruptions and downloading files expecting 3G/HSPA+ speeds - I'm just glad I didn't sign up to their 12 month contract.

Allan R.

Allan R.asked

I have a Virgin Mobile wireless broadband service and wondered what speed it typically operates on and how this compares to what is available on the NBN? I will of course soon have to switch, either to the NBN or another wireless mobile network, so I would like to be able to accurately compare the speeds available.

WalterWombat

WalterWombatasked

Is anyone else out there using Virgin 4g postpaid broadband service having problems with the Huawei MF920A wi_fi modem? Specifically the modem battery expanding after only a few months service, such that it can no
longer close the modem case? And the service starts to get slower and slower? What experience have others received when contacting Virgin support online or by telephone?

Thirsty Gecko
Thirsty Gecko

We had that happen with the ZTE mobile modem. I understand it’s the lithium battery that can do that and some are more prone than others. Ours started doing it after about 9-10 months. By end of contract, we knew it needed replacing and upgraded to 60GB plan with new modem.

The Virgin modems shoud have warranty for 12 months so you shouldn’t have any issue getting a replacement as it’s a battery fault that you can’t fix or is repairable. Also, it happens through normal use.

I found Virgin’s support excellent as long as you go via their complaints department. Those guys are on the ball. It was a waste of time to do other avenues like online chat, but you can try it. We’ve been very happy with new service upgrade; getting very fast speeds in country area where snail’s pace was the norm.

Get an answer from our members and Virgin representatives

CategoryInternet Service Providers