Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer

Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer (page 2 of 3)

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Virgin Money

Pros

• Multiple Promotional Offers to choose from (see Details below)

• $129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher each year

• Earn Velocity Points at a rate of 0.66 points per $1 spent up to $1,500 per statement period

Cons

• 3.3% International Transaction Fee

• Earn Rate drops to 0.5 points per $1 spent after the first $1,500 per statement period

• Rates and Fees
  • Rewards
  • Online Experience
  • Application Process
Liam
LiamMelbourne

Call centre useless

Contacted Velocity call center to claim points missing from my account. The person who answered the phone obviously was either new or just didn't care, for something so simple I was put on hold three times accumulating to almost a half an hour. I was then informed by the person that points were put on an account for Delta airways which I don't have and I would need to tell them to transfer them back to my Velocity account. I tried to explain to him that I don't have a delta account and as I flew with Virgin they should have been put on my Velocity account. He continued to tell me to contact Delta as I don't have an account with them how can I contact them he then hung up on me.
The worst call center I have come across in a long time.

Dymo75
Dymo75

Avoid

Poor customer service, incorrect charges and interest applied, do not cancel card when requested, extremely pushy sales staff, avoid at all costs

Jane
JaneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The worst credit card I ever had

The worst card i ever had. I am so happy that I could pass the "customer relationship officer" finally to cancel. The fee and charge system is weird, greedy and tricky that keep making the balances snail back to get charged additional fee...very tricky. Never come back and would not recommend. Customer service staff can be rude...especially when you call to cancel, the customer relationship officer tries to catch you back like fishing and when they cannot change our mind, they are rude and cut you off.

Nikki
NikkiGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

2 4 1 waste of time

I tried to book a return flight Hobart to Melbourne, as I couldn't use the cheapest flight and needed to pay taxes of $51 for complimentary flights + credit card fees for both initial and complimentary flight.

I saved $66 by booking 2 flights with Jetstar.

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Find out how Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer compares to other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Shane
ShaneSydney

Alex
AlexMelbourne, Victoria

5 years with this card, no problem

No dramas with this card at all. I've been using this card for 5 years now, never a problem. Now that you can change your pin, even better.
I tend to fly virgin when I do, as I find them reliable and they provide good customer service, so it was an easy choice to go with their frequent flyer scheme and their credit card gives more points rather than go through a bank (1 point per dollar, vs half point per dollar with one of the big banks)
I've already used some points, enjoyed the service.
Good frequent flyer scheme. At least you know it won't go broke (Qantas remind anyone)
No actual app. Big downside, consider all our big banks have an easy to use app

Empty promises

On face value the card sounds fantastic. Just gave up on application process. Numerous calls from a call centre who even rang my accountant wasted his time and mine by not being able to understand simple business structures. They only understand a group certificate and accountting 1.01 . Do youself a favour, read the other reviews, listen to the nightmare experiences. Any benefit this card offers is far outweighed by the time wasting, incompetent service. Liberate yourself and don't get hung up with chasing the elusive Virgin deals that evaporate like a mirage. Go another points card, I did and am very happy and just enjoy the Virgin flights

Administration , application process and imcompitence

How to get in front of credit card debt with a credit card balance transfer.

Credit card balance transfers are becoming an increasingly popular way for people with growing credit card debts to manage their finances. But are they really a magic bullet? We're going to look at the ins and outs of credit balance transfers, so you can find the best way to manage credit card debt and get your finances back in the black.

Nathan S.12 Nov 2019

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
credit-card-awards-2020
Carradine
CarradinePerth

Don't be fooled by the flashy advertising

I booked flights with Virgin (good value) and joined Velocity for both my wife and I at the same time. The system refused to accept my wife's member number and therefore would not credit her points. I wrote a complaint and it took ages to get a response. And then I had to do all the work (scanning documents, sending them in etc). They promised it would all be fixed in two weeks. I didn't even bother. I cancelled both memberships. I will still fly with Virgin because they offer great value, but their loyalty rewards scheme is a clunky, clumsy, slow waste of time.
Virgin airlines are good to fly with
The loyalty rewards scheme is not worth the effort

rancid
rancid

Disappointing account website

alexc
alexcSydney

3 weeks and still waiting!!!!

Pete
Pete

Doesn't sound good, I am thinking of applying, they don't have branches so how did you send proof of income documents?

oldandnew
oldandnew

Great benefits.

I applied for this card to be able to get Velocity points & also for the 2 for one flight deals available 4 times each membership year. have had my card 2 years now & have never had a problem with them & on the few occasions when I have called the service centre have found them to be helpful & polite as well as understanding. No hitches or complaints during the application process. I like the added online security. Interest free period is a little shorter than other institutions with payments falling due only about 15 days after statement date. Would also be an advantage to be able to choose my own PIN but not possible with this card.
Complimentary Flights.
Can't Choose Own PIN.

Don't even bother

The latest booking stuff up, flight VA973 SYD -BNE. Why would VAust bump me from a window seat to a middle seat? Don't worry, they fixed it by placing me in the very last row! Absolutely fed up and tired of the incompetence!! I don't think the organisation realizes the minor changes and cost neutral strategies that can be implemented to make this airline a joy to once again fly with. You need to be engaging with frequent flyers. And quickly before we start walking.

Don't value platinum members with seating allocations - moving to Qantas!

Gottahavemesay
GottahavemesayAU

Useless service

redwineAU

Overall, a good credit card with good rewards

Terrible customer service

Basically I signed up to the card due to the 20K velocity points promotion. I received the first 10K points, but haven't received the 2nd 10K points for spending $X within 3 months. I spent that within the first 2 months. 7 months later, after numerous calls to the customer service line, and numerous attempts by the customer service rep to get the points allocated, and numerous times being told I will have them soon, I still haven't received the 10K velocity.

They don't live up to their promises. I have started looking for alternative solutions for credit cards linked with Velocity reward points.
1 velocity reward points for each $1 spent.
Customer service is terrible.

dave t78
dave t78brisbane

Appalling service - hopeless call centre

Barbara

Completely shambolic user experience

johnf27
johnf27South East Queensland, QLD

nightmare with Credit Card Virgin

after many call`s numerous docs finaly got my card & transfered my balance ask for direct debit form 5 times no joy got 6 calls regarding non payment you have to send me an invoice as my internet link still do`s not work waiting on password /number now legal action over non payment final went to city bank & got the bapy number (comment thay think Virgin credit as a joke)

terrible service

Scared off, thankfully.

The call centre wouldn't even pick up so I could activate my card. After reading these reviews... I won't bother.

They also tried to scam me out of the 20,000 Velocity Points. After a email to the Australian Virgin Expert Centre, followed by a three week wait, I was granted the points if I activated my card.

One or two poor customer service staff is forgivable. However the entire CitiBank brand seems to have an attitude problem. I was refused to speak with a supervisor.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to write in. You saved me from a major future headache.
Cool design on card.
Untrustworthy, terrible communication, arrogant.

Worst experience ever.

Impossible to get a statement.Staff agree with you and do nothing about it.Staff are all liars,tell you what ever you want and do nothing. I can not understand how a big company can treat customers so badly.Virgin Credit cards are worst I have ever delt with.I advise anyone not to go near this company.

They are terrible!

Mark49
Mark49Brisbane

Stay away!

JS_Sydney
JS_SydneySYDNEY

Avoid Virgin Money!!

virgin flyer credit card do not apply!

I fly with virgn every week and spend thousands of dollars per year with them and I cant even get a credit card approved! They state that all you need is to earn over a certain amount per year, which I triple that! and still got declined. I have a perfect credit rating and dont owe any debts. They would not tell me why it was declined and told me to apply again in a few months time. No way, i will not waste my time with an un helpful company.
Hello qantas! goodbye virgin!

everything. dont apply for this

Misleading Conditions for the High Flyer Card