Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer

Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer (page 2 of 3)

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Virgin Money

Pros

Multiple Promotional Offers to choose from (see Details below)
$129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher each year
Earn Velocity Points at a rate of 0.66 points per $1 spent up to $1,500 per statement period

Cons

3.3% International Transaction Fee
Earn Rate drops to 0.5 points per $1 spent after the first $1,500 per statement period

• Rates and Fees
  • Rewards
  • Online Experience
  • Application Process
Ian
IanPerth, WA

Balance transfer is a scam

You get interest free on the balance transfer, but they charge you interest on your purchases from day 1. Of course it's all legal because it's hidden in the Ts&Cs.

If they're willing to screw you on tiny things like that I can't imagine what they'll do to squeeze money from you on big things. Account closed.

Ochaye46
Ochaye46South East Queensland, QLD

Card OK, Virgin Customer service, abysmal.

Read Not Happy's review.my experience is exactly the same, possibly losing a home loan for not disclosing I had a Virgin credit even though I had told Virgin that I had cut up the card and to cancel it over 3 months ago, but they never did. devious, rude people at their call centres,

Jones G
Jones GSydney, NSW

Application and customer service fine

I have had this card for over 3 years the initial application process was normal with around a 10 day turn around time. In the entire time have had to call maybe 3 or 4 times and each time was fine issue was resolved quickly.

Promise the world, deliver nothing

Tired of the false promises of upgrades and economic seating as a top 1% traveler. I can’t even get an aisle seat! Pathetic

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Find out how Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer compares to other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Emily
EmilySouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst customer service

Sunshine
Sunshine

Platinum benefits not worth it

peta1980
peta1980

I wish I could leave ZERO stars.

The actual card is pointless to use to pay bills.
The supposed bonus points are near impossible to attain unless you're a big spender in shops. I paid heaps of bills and was told because it's Bpay it does not count for points!!! My annual fee should be refunded.

We had a ZERO balance at the time of the due payment and we were still charged interest.
1 painful phone call resolved it. Pity you can't teach common sense and logic to people.
AVOID this card as there are plenty of better cards out there.

How to get in front of credit card debt with a credit card balance transfer.

Credit card balance transfers are becoming an increasingly popular way for people with growing credit card debts to manage their finances. But are they really a magic bullet? We're going to look at the ins and outs of credit balance transfers, so you can find the best way to manage credit card debt and get your finances back in the black.

Nathan S.12 Nov 2019

merrilyn.tattersallPortland, Victoria

Great experience, thanks

Jack
JackPerth, WA

Worst customer service ever.

They have the worst customer service ever. Even one star is too good. Try to ring their customer service when you have a query, you will end up dealing with people overseas who you can barely understand and their distant call made it no very audible either. Everyone you talk to is clueless, you get passed like a ball from one idiot to another and back to main menu again on and on. How can Virgin use that kind of backward service? I will have to cancel that card, no way I am going to spend over 30 mins over the phone to deal with clueless people again.

Call centre is hopeless

Had 2 simple questions: what are my 80,000 points worth? and I'm comparing 2 flights virgin vs etihad -so what points would I earn? Tried web site - it's unclear and referred me to the call centre (!). 1st level was hopeless, then spoke to 2 different teams... after 90 mins, I have partial answers, (which concludes the points are virtually worthless). What a waste of time, my gripe is the program is too complex, the web site is too complex and employees are unable to communicate in a way that makes sense to the average customer. Virgin leaders - try using the service yourself, get your best staff together and map out the customer journey - then fix it.

Liam
LiamMelbourne

Call centre useless

Contacted Velocity call center to claim points missing from my account. The person who answered the phone obviously was either new or just didn't care, for something so simple I was put on hold three times accumulating to almost a half an hour. I was then informed by the person that points were put on an account for Delta airways which I don't have and I would need to tell them to transfer them back to my Velocity account. I tried to explain to him that I don't have a delta account and as I flew with Virgin they should have been put on my Velocity account. He continued to tell me to contact Delta as I don't have an account with them how can I contact them he then hung up on me.
The worst call center I have come across in a long time.

eastwest101
eastwest101Townsville

An OK Visa card for Velocity earn

Dymo75
Dymo75

Avoid

Poor customer service, incorrect charges and interest applied, do not cancel card when requested, extremely pushy sales staff, avoid at all costs

Jane
JaneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The worst credit card I ever had

The worst card i ever had. I am so happy that I could pass the "customer relationship officer" finally to cancel. The fee and charge system is weird, greedy and tricky that keep making the balances snail back to get charged additional fee...very tricky. Never come back and would not recommend. Customer service staff can be rude...especially when you call to cancel, the customer relationship officer tries to catch you back like fishing and when they cannot change our mind, they are rude and cut you off.

Nikki
NikkiGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

2 4 1 waste of time

I tried to book a return flight Hobart to Melbourne, as I couldn't use the cheapest flight and needed to pay taxes of $51 for complimentary flights + credit card fees for both initial and complimentary flight.

I saved $66 by booking 2 flights with Jetstar.

Shane
ShaneSydney

Alex
AlexMelbourne, Victoria

5 years with this card, no problem

No dramas with this card at all. I've been using this card for 5 years now, never a problem. Now that you can change your pin, even better.
I tend to fly virgin when I do, as I find them reliable and they provide good customer service, so it was an easy choice to go with their frequent flyer scheme and their credit card gives more points rather than go through a bank (1 point per dollar, vs half point per dollar with one of the big banks)
I've already used some points, enjoyed the service.
Good frequent flyer scheme. At least you know it won't go broke (Qantas remind anyone)
No actual app. Big downside, consider all our big banks have an easy to use app

Empty promises

On face value the card sounds fantastic. Just gave up on application process. Numerous calls from a call centre who even rang my accountant wasted his time and mine by not being able to understand simple business structures. They only understand a group certificate and accountting 1.01 . Do youself a favour, read the other reviews, listen to the nightmare experiences. Any benefit this card offers is far outweighed by the time wasting, incompetent service. Liberate yourself and don't get hung up with chasing the elusive Virgin deals that evaporate like a mirage. Go another points card, I did and am very happy and just enjoy the Virgin flights

Administration , application process and imcompitence

Carradine
CarradinePerth

Don't be fooled by the flashy advertising

I booked flights with Virgin (good value) and joined Velocity for both my wife and I at the same time. The system refused to accept my wife's member number and therefore would not credit her points. I wrote a complaint and it took ages to get a response. And then I had to do all the work (scanning documents, sending them in etc). They promised it would all be fixed in two weeks. I didn't even bother. I cancelled both memberships. I will still fly with Virgin because they offer great value, but their loyalty rewards scheme is a clunky, clumsy, slow waste of time.
Virgin airlines are good to fly with
The loyalty rewards scheme is not worth the effort

rancid
rancid

Disappointing account website

Disappointed with the 2-4-1 ticket deal review

alexc
alexcSydney

3 weeks and still waiting!!!!

Pete
Pete

Doesn't sound good, I am thinking of applying, they don't have branches so how did you send proof of income documents?

oldandnew
oldandnew

Great benefits.

I applied for this card to be able to get Velocity points & also for the 2 for one flight deals available 4 times each membership year. have had my card 2 years now & have never had a problem with them & on the few occasions when I have called the service centre have found them to be helpful & polite as well as understanding. No hitches or complaints during the application process. I like the added online security. Interest free period is a little shorter than other institutions with payments falling due only about 15 days after statement date. Would also be an advantage to be able to choose my own PIN but not possible with this card.
Complimentary Flights.
Can't Choose Own PIN.

Don't even bother

The latest booking stuff up, flight VA973 SYD -BNE. Why would VAust bump me from a window seat to a middle seat? Don't worry, they fixed it by placing me in the very last row! Absolutely fed up and tired of the incompetence!! I don't think the organisation realizes the minor changes and cost neutral strategies that can be implemented to make this airline a joy to once again fly with. You need to be engaging with frequent flyers. And quickly before we start walking.

Don't value platinum members with seating allocations - moving to Qantas!

Gottahavemesay