Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present) Questions & Answers

49 questions from our users

Michelle K

Michelle Kasked

2018 Volkswagen Amarok TDI420 Core Plus - Purchased vehicle at 310km's April'19 it has now done 3000km's June'19 and fault light keeps coming on and gets stuck in 3rd gear and goes into limp mode. VW Service team found wire wasn't connected in the fuse box, body earth was not properly connected and body control module was replaced - this was a brand new car. After everything replaced and fixed, Volkswagen says can't find fault but the issues are still happening but now are not showing up in the history when back at Volkswagen, while VW have dismissed my issues stating nothing wrong. Has anyone else had the same issues as so disappointed with the Amarok and feel very unsafe considering the car goes into limp mode.

Lyn M
Lyn M

Amarok 2014 similar issues. VW say might be mecatronics $6000 then might also be transmission a further $12800. VW won't take responsibility. Recall on Audi and VW transmission but Amarok not included. Sounds like the same issues.

Frankly Speaking

Frankly Speakingasked

Can anyone make some recommendations on size and weights of caravan suitable for towing with 2 liter Amarok dual cab auto 2015. Looking at over all performance.
Thank you.

Dawn

It depends which model but with the factory towbar is 2.8 to 3 tonne.the towbar down weight is 250 kilos,depending on which towbar is fitted.
We have been towing a 2.2 tonne Kimberly Karavan for thousand of kilometres while outback and have had no problems.Averaging 15 litres per 100 kilometres.

Frankly Speaking

Frankly Speakingasked

Hi.
Love my 2 lt Highline. Just over 12 months driving it. Have not towed anything yet. Looking at a caravan for some trips. Anyone using this size auto vehicle for towing long distances? Looking at van around the 2000 kg weight. I would appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Paul R

Paul Rasked

Has anyone had brake failure in there 2017 amarok Mine failed only done 70000ks

Dawn

Hi.I have had 2 Amaroks over a seven year period.I have never had a brake failure.The only problem was with the earlier model because it had drums on the back and they can be squeaky.

Andrew Murdoch
Andrew Murdoch

I,ve had 2 also. Not a problem except for the drivers seat fabric starting coming apart which they replaced on current one.
I thought I read somewhere that the dealer checked your amarok and found nothing wrong. Possible oil spill or ice on the road would confuse the system.

Paul R

Paul Rasked

Hi. I have 2017 amrock 2ltr has anyone had any problems with there brakes. Mine failed the other day only 70000 on the clock. Vw carnt find any problems with it now I am a bit worried about driving it now

Djp

Djpasked

Does anyone know how to remove the front propshaft in a Amarok auto 2012?

Michael W.asked

Clunking into reverse. 8 speed auto 2014 amarok

Nick B
Nick B

My 2018 Amarok V6 after 21000km needs a new Auto Gearbox. Volkswagen say it had water in it and refuses to replace it under warranty. I don't see how water can get in it as its a fully sealed unit accept for a breather. There is no evidence my vehicle has been submerged according to service manager. Do now I am going to Office of Fair Trading. Very dissapointed with VW response

Hi Nick,
I’m having the exact same issue. Water in transmission, gearbox stuff. 30,000km 18months old never been off road.
Have you had any luck sorting it out??
Wes

Michael W.

Had a wheel sensor replaced. Not sure if related but hasnt done since. Also making sire i dont shift into reverse before display says park and not the initial mfi reading

clint d.

clint d.asked

Can anybody who has an Amarok with a transmission that has failed due to water in the tail light please contact me.....the fact that water can travel through the loom to the transmission control module seems not to be unexpected according to VW who refuse to take any responsibility at all for this problem....water in a tail light = $16000 repair bill!!!

Hi Clint,

Checkout the ausamarok forum (google it). Join up and ask your question there mate. I’m sure you will find the answer there.

Wes E.

Hi Clint, can you please give some more info on this. My transmission had water in it, so stuff gear box. Speacil VW tech came to inspect my car at dealer service and first thing he ask was to inspect tails lights for water !!!
Wes

Michael W.

Seems to be a factory problem here. I suspect mine is on its way.

Charlie H.

Charlie H.asked

Hi,

I am looking at buying an Amarok. A nearby seller has a 2012 diesel Highline for sale with only 75'000km on it advertised for $25'500. Do you guys think this is a fair price? Is there any else I should know about this year and model?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie H

Charlie Hasked

Hi guys,

I am looking around for a dual cab ute and have come across a 2012 Highline Amarok with only 76'000kms. The guy wants around $26k for it. I like the look of the amarok and also have heard they drive really nice. My main concern is the reliability so I was wondering if there were anyone out there that had any comments regarding this topic or any general comments regarding the amaroks?

Thankyou in advance.

Danley
Danley

Amaroks drive nice! just stay away from the petrol engines!!! ( I learnt the hard way )

Charlie,
Jump on the AusAmarok forum (google it) and you’ll be able to find out everything you need to know.

Mines only just hit 15000km and is the V6, not the 4 cylinder.

Topender

Topenderasked

Hi, I am looking at buying a 4x4 dual cab, and am worried about fuel consumption. Most of my driving will be in the 80 - 130km speed range and I am not towing anything. I know that what the manufacturers say and reality can be very different. So can I please hear from as many people as possible, their fuel consumption rates, so I can make an informed decision? Thanks

clem
clem

Hi there
Mine is petrol single cab and the fuel consumption is pretty good i can get over 800km with a full tank and i heard the diesel 1000km
Go for it

Extravagant

Extravagantasked

Looking at purchasing a 2012 automatic Amorok, $26,000.oo. It has 70,000 miles, one owner and serviced regularly. Any opinions? oh yes, diesel, automatic, 4 door, 4x4

Shaun

Shaunasked

Hey
I’ve just purchased a 2011 vw amarok Highline 4x4 which didn’t come with a owners manual.
Could someone please explain how to use 4x4 in sand as I want to head out this weekend ?

Strutty
Strutty

Hi,
Firstly I am not an expert. I fitted BF goodrich all terrain KO2 tyres and these are awesome. (I had Michelin SUV and Continental tyres on the Amarok previously and both of these did not last.)
I am able to drive in our horse arena in quite deep sand without letting any air out of the tyres. It just keeps going!! My only suggestion to you would be to take the tyre pressure down to around 20 psi to give yourself more footprint. Obviously extra care is required. Also I only use low range and stay in second gear. I have driven this on the beach on road tyres without letting the air out and it was moving quite well although the sand was softer that I was told. The secret is to always maintain your momentum.

Darren

Darrenasked

I am looking at a 2013 2.0 litre turbo diesel Amarok for my daughter. It has a braked towing capacity of 3 tonnes. She needs to tow a horse trailer. Will it be powerful enough?

Brayden S

Brayden Sasked

I have a 2012 TDI400 4x4 Amarok and every time I engage the clutch my high beams flash, any ideas on what this may be?

David W

David Wasked

hey i've got a vw amarok 2013 and i have put a new radiator in and now the fan doesn't work?? Any ideas?

Mizza

Mizzaasked

I’m just looking at a 2012 turbo petrol 2.0 liter with 90k on the clock what’s everyone’s thoughts?

Nutes

Nutesasked

how do i get the red light at back of cab exterior to go off?

Daniel H

Daniel Hasked

How can I get the tub 12v socket to turn off when ignition is off? It seems to be on constant.

Mark R
Mark R

Hi Daniel. From what I could remember, the 12v socket are constant live as this hook up the trailer harness

Jill S

Jill Sasked

We are looking at buying a 2013 Amarok TD1400 4 x 4 diesel single cab ute, has anyone had any issue with this vehicle? It has done 136,000 km

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives