Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present) Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

50 questions from our users

Jill S

Jill Sasked

We are looking at buying a 2013 Amarok TD1400 4 x 4 diesel single cab ute, has anyone had any issue with this vehicle? It has done 136,000 km

Luke

Lukeasked

I'm looking at a 2014 Amarok TDI400 2H Manual 4MOT MY14 2.0 DDT Cab Chassis with 49,000ks would anyone please comment on if I should steer clear of this car?

Oscar
Oscar

I don't think u will have any trouble ...I traded my 2014 auto with 47000 it never missed a beat . I prefer the 4 to the v6 ... if I had my time over I would of kept the 4 cylinder..

Helen
Helen

Yes read all comments of other owners before buying. I own an Amrock duel cab had some issues on 80000I think after reading other comments from owners when things go wrong they ary major Also the Dealerships can be very hard to get Help from.

Mark R
Mark R

Mainly E.G.R failures. Follow Forums @ modrok

David

Davidasked

Anyone had problems with shuddering headlights in the V6? Mine shudder on sharp bumps.

Ken
Ken

Funny you say that, Audi Q5 with (l believe) same basic motor, transmission, etc had exactly the same issue. Headlight was redesigned around 2014 with an extra locating/holding bolt in the base which solved the problem.

kelvid

kelvidasked

high beam not working .fuse ok. Any ideas?

Gengo
Gengo

Your globes have two filaments one for normal beam other for high , check you're globes first

TTM

TTMasked

My Amarok single cab 2012 model switched off while driving off road. I cranked the engine and it ran allowing me to drive for about 2 miles before it switched off again. Since then if I crank the engine it will start but immediately turn it self off and an alarm like sound follows from the EGR's top part. meanwhile there will be a flashing loop shaped yellow light showing on the dashboard together with the check engine light Any ideas?

Smolly8
Smolly8

Take it to the dealer

Barney

Barneyasked

Good afternoon. My question is regarding the towing capacity limit for the VW Amorak V6 Highline which is published in the specification as 3000 kg braked limit. Does this amount refer to the ATM (aggregate trailer mass) or the GTM (gross trailer mass). In our instance with a caravan with an ATM slightly over 3000kg and then after applying the approximate tow ball down load of 220 kg which then becomes part of the allowable vehicle payload the resulting GTM is below the advertised towing capacity limit. Does Volkswagen consider this as applicable?

NickCigfree
NickCigfree

I would not attempt to tow this weight with the Amarok. I do not exceed 2500kg your weight IMHO would push the vehicle to its linits.

Paul

Hi Barney. Good question! In answer to your question, the manual says GVM is 3170kg, VW sticker for the tow bar says "maximum draw bar weight is 300kg" although manual says "120kg". The Amarok is one of the best tow vehicles for handling and distributing weight through the vehicle without making the steering feel floaty or like you are losing control. The V6 engine is currently the best and most powerful engine in any Australian ute leaving all the competition behind. The same V6 Amarok in Europe I have seen has been rated for 3500kg towing capacity, however VW reviewed towing capacity for Aus due to extreme conditions expended here ie. Aus extreme heat. VW does say towing capacity is reduced above 1000m too, just as a side point. There is alittle discrepancy in what the manual says versus the stickers on my car. To be sure I would write/email your enquiry to VW sales and get the answer "in writing" to be properly informed, I am sure they would be more then happy to help. Regarding maximum allowed towing capacity, keep in mind manufactures stipulate this limit so as to keep the vehicle in its designed safe limits for "continuous operation." Obviously less weight is better, however I wouldn't be to concerned if what I was towing was near the limit as long as it doesn't exceed the limit, because as you know both car manufacturers warranty and car insurance polices would negate or reduce cover on claims exceeding limits. Hope this helps! Enjoy your day.

Paul

Sorry Barney. I forgot to mention in the auto 2l manual says maximum permitted gross combination weight 5,550kg in hot or extremely hot countries or 5950kg. Write to a Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles dealership to be sure. Thanks.

Kathy Curtis

Kathy Curtisasked

Anyone had troubles with starter motor clicking over? I have been told by VW battery needs replacing but I have have it checked apparently it's fine. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Pred

Have my Rok for last 4 years,still original battery never had that kind of a issue.
Have it checked with good electrician and also if VW workshop can hook it up to their own diagnostic it should tell them exactly what it is,it should be very simple!
Hope this helps

Taraann1

Taraann1asked

Short circuit wiring on tairler known having problems

Pred

Had amarok for 3.5 years never had any issue,wiring included!

Aynsley
Aynsley

Excellent, my amarok appears to be fixed. Love the vehicle, butt let down by the ability of the service agent.

Nico

Nicoasked

I am looking at a 2012 Amarok 2.0 BiTDI Highline 132Kw with 190 000km on the clock. Will you say its a good deal for the price of R 210 000.00 if retail value is R 273 000?
What must I look out for and please guys be honest?

RMG
RMG

I say stay away from VW Amarok. My friend just had the same problem with his new Amarok; breaking down completely after a broken tail light. He too has to wait 4 months for the wiring harness to be manufactured and shipped. Costs $18000 AUD to fix a stuff up in all their manufacturing of Amaroks. If u don't want a headache stay away.

Jamie Eggins

Jamie Egginsasked

Looking at buying an amaork core plus dual cab. My dad has the 2015 model in 8 speed auto and loves it and i love it as well. I want to get a manual but apparently they have a clutch problem? Has anyone had this issue or any reccomendations?

Pred

Got 8-speed amarok myself for a few years.
8 speed best way to go,even I like manuals some people use to change clutch on 60-70 thousand kms.
Got a friend who has 2011 manual rok and he never issues with car what so ever including clutch as well but he really takes care of the car!
Hope this helps!

Paul

The manual clutch is fine, had a few teething issues in the beginning as all manufactures do. The Amarok Core has been well and truly tested now, fixing most if not all issues that came to light earlier on. It is worth noting not all mechanical failures are the fault of the manufacture, but rather the user particularly if the vehicle hasnt been properly maintained or abused. Thanks.

Spokeasked

Can anyone help? I have 2011 amarok and I can't seem to get my music off my phone to play.. I have a touch phone kit connected to the radio and phone connects to that Bluetooth and the Bluetooth on the radio is turned on but no music will play, I can make an receive calls which works fine and comes through the radio but no music.. when I press media it says 'no medium available'?

Max R
Max R

I have a 2012 Amorok I play music through an FM transmitter which plugs into the twelve volt socket,I can't help you with your query as I dont know what you are using.

MS qld
MS qld

What sort of phone do you have. I originally had iPhone 5 and would not connect but iPhone 5s connected straight away.

Spoke

I have an iPhone 6. It's connecting but no music would play? And I got my friend with iPhone 5 to connect their phone and no music would play either.. Do you know if you have to do software updates on the touch phone kit/radio?

Deka

Dekaasked

I have a 4x4 Amarok Diesel, year 2012 Purchased New from Volkswagon, which went off road for the first time in 2.5 years along the Gibb River road, W.A, 10 mths ago, encountered a problem by the front prop shaft coming off, vehicle was still under the warranty status, sent the vehicle to Volkswagon for repairs, findings were that a Circlip was missing which caused the Prop shaft to dislodge, Volkswagon Australia had stated this is only possible by previously removing the front Axle/Diff for repairs and leaving the circlip off, our factory would of never left this off upon assembly of the vehicle, I know 1million % the axle/diff had never been removed prior, vehicle had done 63,301 klms, I was accused of being a liar, the repair costs $3620.00 which had to pay to get the vehicle back. I do not know what to do for the next step, I would like to know if anyone had encountered this circlip missing issue? Volkswagon are dodging a major issue here.

Pred

Never had any issues like that,been few times off road!

les

lesasked

has anyone had a problem when the fan drive belt snaps and goes into the plastic timing chain cover & buggers the motor 2011 amarook ute need help

No. But got a Diff leak at 10000kms.

helpme
helpme

I had the serpentine belt start to shred and it went past the inadequate timing belt cover and caused a catastropic engine fail...
The first Amaroks 2011 (actually started to be manufactured in 2010) till mid 2012 had the poorly designed timing belt cover....
You could have had a "robusta kit" fitted to replace your timing belt cover..... but it sounds as though it is too late!!!!!
Volkswagen are aware of this problem!!!!

Will Gwynn Jones
Will Gwynn Jones

VW Sth Aust re built the top end free of charge

Luis

Luisasked

Was there a recall on the amarock for clutch problems?

Andrew
Andrew

I have the auto, but my mate who has a 2011 Amarok said he had a recall on the clutch pedal.

Disgruntled
Disgruntled

Unsure. My experience relates to the 8 speed auto.

Michael F
Michael F

Depends on which recal it is. There was also one for some models to do with the emission standards.

Lucaskim

Lucaskimasked

Timing chane or timing belt?

Belt.

furphasked

Has anyone else had problems with the torneau cover not keeping the tub waterproof? Water gets in often! Couldnt leave a suitcase or anything in the back or it would get wet! Really dissapionted as a new TDI 4 motion Highline Amarok. Had it back to the dealers who said they adjusted it but still not waterproof! Anybody have any suggestions?

Scrub

G'day Furph, am just about to fit a tonneau to my Highline, will let you know how it goes.
I purchased my tonneau from Utesonline via eBay, whilst shopping on there, I did see water/dust proof rubbers.

Santaria

Do you have a sports bar fitted Furph?

furph

yes it has a sports bar but still cant believe vw doesnt make provisions to keep it waterproof! Wil try looking for waterproof rubbers!

Stephan Naude

Stephan Naudeasked

Why would a volkswagen Amaroks aircon not kick in?

Santaria

Either there's no power going to the aircon clutch or the aircon clutch is buggered. Is the engine labouring at all when it comes on? Is it clicking in? If it's clicking in and not getting cold there's likely a leak somewhere or the compressor is shot.

JDd

JDdasked

Is the 500mm wadding depth based on the air intake only ? With a snokel & diff breather extension what would be the next concern for deep crossings?

Santaria

Yeah. Up to 800mm I think.

westheadgummiesasked

Amarok particular filter blocked at 111000 km intermittent particular filter light since new. $4000.00 to fix 10.000 km just sort of out of warranty, what are your thoughts to all the roks out there? Concerned owner.

jondo
jondo

I had an intermittent DPF fault early on (sub 10,000km), they replaced a couple of pressure sensors, fault kept recurring and had to keep doing a DPF regen a fair bit (keep it above 3kRPM until light goes off). DPF eventually failed completely (went into limp mode) and required a complete DPF replacement + full set of sensors ... all under warranty. Haven't had a problem since then and I suspect but can't prove that the intermittent DPF fault + regen is an indication of something not working from the outset. If you've been getting it serviced at the dealer and they have taken note/logs via the computer, you might have a fair chance at a warranty goodwill. The other option would be a 2nd hand DPF ... you can pick these up from wreckers for $6-700 complete with sensors ... plus labour of course. Some dubious people do what is known as a "DPF delete" which removes the DPF completely ... but requires a reasonable outlay of labour and is a bit on the "not legal" side. Sorry to hear about your DPF troubles. Hope you reach an amicable conclusion with VeeDub!

westheadgummies

thanks jondo each time the vehicle went in for service i mentioned this regen issue ie car slowing down .stop turn engine off the start and it would go until the next time .my min travel usually 15 to 30 km country driving/city and is a work vehicle . the last 2 oil changes i have done myself /so i am a naughty boy as far as vw are concerned so have my fingers crossed but considering vw late problems who knows if there is goodwill .looking at dpf delete.atm but still open for discussion cheers westheadgummies

daveasked

My auto diesel Amarok will be 3 years old next month and with over 200,000 kms it has not missed a beat. Mostly highway driving, some towing and serviced every 15,000 kms. I'd be interested in feedback from other high km owners about what to expect next if I keep it.

Scrub

I'd be having a chat with VW mate, see what their service division has to say

Alex
Alex

Good to hear. Mine is closing onto 130000 next month and will be 3 yo in October. No hard use whatsoever. Nice ute. Very comfy. However quality servicing and spare parts could be way better. First ute in many years had so many issues and some of them clocked 3-4 months waiting periods. Will be looking at Toyota ute next due to that fact.

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives