Volkswagen Golf

Volkswagen Golf (page 4 of 16)

Mk.5, Mk.6, Mk.7, Mk7.5

• Comfort

Emz

EmzSydney

Love it little zippy r32

Always been skeptical of vws due to bad reviews from others. However I love my little hatch it's a powerful zippy bug, put your foot down and this thing roars! Keep the services up to date and up should have no issues. Dsg gearbox needs to be serviced every 60,000 kms which is a headache, but great car.

BadgeR32
Engine Size3.2
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Terrible!

Had this car for 6 months and the gearbox started to shudder going between 1-2 gears. The dual clutch system was diagnosed to be faulty and was quoted 5k to fix!! Also blew a lot of oil from the turbo! Would never buy from Volkswagen again as they refused to fix either of the problems!

Badge118TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Emma

Emma

Great little car

It goes like a bat outta hell, spacious, smooth ride. Reliable, and stylish. was a brilliant car to learn it, was very easy to drive and easy to control. Great electronics system through the car, air con system could be a bit better and a way to get it into the backseat is needed.

BadgeGTD
Engine Size1.6
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Richard L

Richard LAU

GTI an amazing car

pros:
1) stylish and modern. but still has the classic golf body
2) gti is uper fast and zippy on the road. very little turbo lag
2) interior is fantastic especially if you choose the leather option. gives it a real luxury feel.

cons:
1) boot space is a bit small. however enough for couples and young family.
2) later models only have leather option with sunroof. this is costly.

BadgeGTI
Date PurchasedDec 2017
John M.

John M.Melbourne

Repairs, Repairs and then more repairs

My Golf was fantastic to drive right up to 4years old and 100,000 kms THEN it all started. Radiator, Timing Chain, Horn, Brake Master Cylinder, Clutch Master Cylinder and the list goes on and on. Its just gone in for a new clutch today. Always serviced on time, driven by 40+ yo parent adult.

Complained to VW but they wont answer any questions (5+ emails over several months).

BodyConvertible
Badge118TSI
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedApr 2012
Steph

StephMelbourne

LOVE GOLF! Quality car

Recently purchased my first golf brand new and i absolutely love it! I was looking for a good quality nice European car that was reliable and this car is fantastic! Great price for an upper class car! Purchased in Sydney because i couldn't get one in Melbourne for the same price

Engine Size1.2

Engine Size1.6
Date PurchasedNov 2016
DodgyD

DodgyD

DSG mechatronic and clutch pack issues are real

VW have scandalously got away with sub standard quality on the transmission on these vehicles and the ACCC seem to be toothless in forcing them to stump up for repairs.

Our model had all the recall work done on it and yet the mechatronic still failed and cost me $4000 to repair. VW offered me a complementary service ~ $450...

Now there is the shuddering at pull-off from standstill. Don't know if this means the already replaced clutch packs (under recall) are gone again or not. VW want $187 to do a road test on it! That's customer service for you! NOT.

Why is Ford being slugged $10M yet VW getting away scott free? Go figure....

I think the key here seems to be get rid of a new VW before warranty expires.

Badge90TSI
Date PurchasedApr 2015
R Livsey

R LivseySouth East Queensland, QLD

Very nice car

Commuter vehicle 12000k per year. Very comfortable. Surprisingly good acceleration. Nippy.
Big inside, the back is excellent for the size. Economical. Lots of headroom. Big boot
Reliable, not like the Mark6 118 I had before that was dreadful. So bad I got an I30, very happy to return to VW though I did pay for an extended warranty.
PROBLEMS - not too bad.
Feeble reversing lights, they are the tiny frosted strips in the cluster. Therefore the reversing camera is hopeless at night, when it might be useful.
Has some stupid software with the camera interfering with normal use.
Jumpy from start with the stop/start function.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Jeff

Jeff

Not the most reliable car

Badge92TSI Comfortline

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Vince

VinceMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

absolutely loving this car

bought my golf in Aug 17 and absolutely loving it.
it feels sporty and powerful. Interior feels very quality and comfort.
so far I have had any issue with it other than car key battery life is bit short. within a year, I have both batteries replaced for both keys.
Start is just a little bit sluggish but I guess coz of turbo engine. it is not as quite as I expect on a bit of bumpy roads but on high way it breezes thru.

Engine Size1.8
Date PurchasedAug 2017
Julz

Julz

Great car - not perfect but I love it.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Keiko Appleby

Keiko Appleby

Most reliable car I ever owned

My husband bought me a MK5 Golf Hatchback (Pacific) for my birthday and I am absolutely pleased with this car being so reliable, tough, economical and good looking. I love the torque that she's got, DSG gearbox and the way she handles. I would keep this car as long as I can :) Thanks VW!!!

Badge110TDI Highline
Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedNov 2012
Bernskiez

BernskiezSydney

Wouldnt buy anything else.

There is a sense of quality with this car . Just something about how the door thuds/closes , the brakes are sound, all the plastics are in the right place, the acceleration is great They've got a customer for life in us I reckon. A step above all the competitors besides maybe the mazda 3 but still our fav over that one.

Badge90TSI
Date PurchasedJan 2017

George

GeorgeSydney, NSW

Biggest mistake of my life.

After getting promoted, I celebrated by buying a new Golf R, I spared no expense and was bowled over by the many test drives I completed. Everything was going well until the first service, keep in mind I’m a trained mechanic and pilot, but had to use them for warranty reasons - for the next year it was in and out, new turbos, new parts, leaks, electronics that would freeze and stutter and then it flat out wouldn’t start. Fair to say they don’t like the Aussie heat much, even so, rubbish car for the price.

BadgeR
TransmissionManual
Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedJan 2016
Benw89

Benw89Ipswich

Great car, drives well and is good on fuel.

The performance of this car is amazing, for a 4 cylinder 1.4L turbo car it is very zippy, the only downside I have found performance wise is the car is a bit slow to respond when you put your foot on the accelerator. The interior of the car looks and feels streamline and has easily accessible features whilst driving. The value for money in regards to fuel is good, roughly 800km out of a tank on premium fuel.

Badge103TSI R Line
Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Fed up

Fed upMelbourne

Useless Apple CarPlay

Bought a new 2017 VW Trendline last June. Have had difficulty connecting Apple CarPlay from day one. Often comes on but there is no sound. Often won’t connect at all. Car has been in four times for this problem. At first I was told the problem was with iPhone 5. Have subsequently changed to iPhone 7 but this hasn’t solved the problem. VW have advised that the IOS 11.1 is too high for the Apple CarPlay. How can they sell a car that is supposed to be compatible with Apple CarPlay when it doesn’t function properly? Isn’t this misleading and deceptive conduct and/or false advertising?

BadgeBlueMOTION
Date PurchasedJun 2017

Karen B.

Karen B.asked

Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)

I purchased my Golf SE mk7 over 2 years ago. The infotainment system stopped working 29th June2020 my warranty ran out on 4th July, problem was I was in lock down in Spain due to Corona virus and could not get a ferry crossing until 15th July. I called Volswagon in Vera Spain and earliest appointment was 10th July. They did the second service, 18000 miles on clock and investigated infotainment system. Paid 93 euros for service and was given a quote for 1,985 euros to replace the broken system as it was over the warranty. I called the volkswagen dealer where I bought the car they said to take it to my local dealer in Shrewsbury which I did as it needed its first mot. They agreed it was broken and needed replacing. Even though it was impossible to get back before the warranty expired the would only give me 20% off the bill and I would have to pay £1600 to have it replaced. Do u think this is fair?

George

Georgeasked

Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

2007 got sport TDI VW golf 2ltre turbo.
What does it mean when engine light comes on, than coil light flashes and exhaust light comes on???
Also since then my turbo stopped working

Deah C

Deah Casked

Golf Mk.7 Hatchback (2013-2017)

Hi I'm looking at purchasing a 2014 Highline TDI mk 7. It's immaculate inside and out, one owner, I can tell the car has been well loved and looked after. I've never had a euro car before, but am looking for something that is high tech, and economical. The golf seems to tick those boxes but I hear mixed reviews.. Can anyone shed some light on your experience with these cars?

Liam H.
Liam H.

I can only answer from my own experience of my Golf, purchased new in Sept 2015. It's done 107,000km and been serviced regularly (7 times). Has been a fantastic little car, fun to drive, economical yet nimble. That being said, much comes down to how it's looked after (clean oil, quality fuel, fresh air) all goes a long way to having the car serve a long, useful life - but my experience is a thumbs up and enjoy these cars!