5Volkswagen Jetta

Volkswagen Jetta Questions & Answers

el r.
el r. · Jetta

Hi, I have a VW Jetta 2015, 118TSI.
Does this model come with timing belt or chain? And when does it need to be replaced?

Annnoyed vw jetter owner
Annnoyed vw jetter owner · Jetta 1B (2012-2017)

I purchased a new Volkswagen Jetta 2011, MY12 Comfort line 118tsi (in 2012) with extras such as sunroof , heated seat , with leather seats, 100ks . I’m in a dilemma as to sell or keep it as I’ve heard this model has had problems with the transmission and who knows what else I may come across. Any idea?

josephwillhinchey
josephwillhinchey · Jetta

I'm looking into a 2006 TDI 2.0 L DSG Jetta, 240,000kms. I've seen mixed advice. What are other people's experiences?

Sue T
Sue T · Jetta

my 2007 jetta tdi has stopped running. it wants to kick over but cant quite get there. NRMA though it was the fuel filter this was replaced, diesel in fuel filter was blue???. still wont start. could it be my timing belt? belt was done 100,000 kms ago, car is on 220,000km.

Ted
Ted

Thinking about getting a 2015 VW Jetta with 85,000km on it, 118TSI highline model, or should I go for the 103 TDI Highline? I want the one that’s going to be more reliable,

Cheers

Elaine
Elaine · Jetta 1KM (2006-2011)

I am interested in the VW Jetta Can you tell me why they have been discontinued?
Elaine

Will55
Will55

I've heard of 2 reasons, but I haven't checked how accurate they are or if there are other factors. First, that the engine design (supercharged and turbo charged) is too complex and expensive for a model in this price range. Second, that Trump Aministration's agressive trade stance against Mexico undermined Volkswagen's confidence in the future of this model as well as the Beetle. They were too marginal to sell into US with new tariffs applied.
All I can say is that my Jetta has travelled 60K and is economical and a pleasure to drive,

Lalith
Lalith · Jetta 1B (2012-2017)

Is it good to buy vw Jetta 147 Highline with 185000 km and serviced well up to date?

Dejan

Don’t buy the car dsg cluches are probably on the way out it is to expensive to replace

Timming chain,tensioner and guides worn

Annoyed

We had a 118TSI. Second VW we have owned in 40 years. Wouldnt buy another VW. not because they are not an OK car but parts costs, lack of support when things go wrong, etc put us off. You pay champagne money, get a chardonnay car with beer support.

getafix
getafix

I have a 2008 VW Jetta. It has done 280000 klms, and still doesn't miss a beat, it's very powerful (it may have been modified, from the previous owner, because it really holds you in your seat, when you put your foot down. Anyway back to your question, for parts, I find it rather cheap, buy on ebay and search other places, NEVER buy from VW dealers, they are just absolute rip offs.. they wanted $75 just for a set of wiper blades, I got genuine ones for $28 online. Same with coil packs, I only paid $67 for them online, genuine spark were a bit expensive, however still only $68 online. I bought to control arm bushes for only $60 online.. so they are no more expensive then any other car, if you search first..

Brigid M
Brigid M · Jetta 1KM (2006-2011)

My 2010 Jetta electric door locking went on the fritz over a year ago. The problem keeps changing. Originally couldn't unlock driver side passenger door with keyless entry, but worked with key in driver door. Then the keyless locking stopped working (leading to a "break in" and theft from the car). I only discovered this when the police attended the theft. Using the key in the door lock worked to get around this, it seemed. But then more recently discovered that the front passenger door generally won't lock, whether using keyless or key. VW quoted and excessive price to fix this but I understand there may be third party repairs that are much cheaper. Is anyone aware of this problem and how to get it fixed without handing over thousands to VW??

Wedgie
Wedgie

I suggest that you find a reputable Auto Electrician, who should be able to resolve the problem with your Jetta for less expense than a VW dealer.

Annoyed

So you are now experiencing the "VW tax" for spares and repairs. Are you kidding about it cost thousands??!! VW repairers in Oz generally charge like wounded bulls! A few options. Find a non VW dealer and ask they source a second hand mechanism. Wreckers know what VW charge so even second hand you will prob pay more than you should. An good auto electrician should be able to confidently find the problem and limit your expenses. Who knows maybe they can fix your current part.....maybe (assuming the body control module needs to be resynced, etc. A friendly wrecker may even change over the part for you for beer tabs but it sounds like it may be computer related rather than specific door locking mechanism related. A good Auto electrician with the right readers should be able to assist. Ring first as all auto electricians may not have all the diagnostic tools to fault find your VW!! NB: VW have invented a whole new w@nk vernacular. I think they call their body control modules - comfort control modules. I always get a laugh from VW owners talk about their TFSI engines = turbo/direct injected!! Hope that helps. Good luck.

Brigid M

The VW tax is exactly what I was suspecting! Thanks to both of the responses, will ask my usual mechanic to recommend a reputable auto electrician. I won't be surprised if VW have rigged their electrics to only be accessible by them with the secret password

Gadget man
Gadget man

First thing to check with dodgy electrics in VW is the battery. If it's even a little run down it can create havoc. Otherwise, it's usually a fried "kessy" (VW keyless entry/central locking) computer module. Auto Sparky's won't touch them, you need a specialist that can program the new module to your car. Either a very knowledgeable indy VW mech, or the stealership. Either way it won't be cheap.

tatyanna Iyambo-Kalya
tatyanna Iyambo-Kalya · Jetta

I bought a jetta tsi 2009 import from japan , i want to know why the engen side (when you stand next to the car front) is heating up ? what shud i do ? please advice.

brian

What do you mean? - Is it overheating as if this is the case you are better off taking it to a Volkswagen workshop or a trustworthy honest and reliable mechanical shop to get the problem fixed as overheating could even have the chance of causing a fire

Anoop
Anoop · Jetta

Does the Jetta TDI's have a timing belt or chain?

How much should a major & minor service cost?

brian

You could try contacting Volkswagen Australia or typing the question into the google Australia search engine on the internet

nww1969
nww1969

If its the 103 or 125 TDI then definitely has timing belt , $1400 for full service and changing belt kit , water pump, pulley tentioner .

Deep · Jetta

I bought used 2006 FSI 2.0L Jetta, done 48k till date. From past few months having a constant exhaust warning on the display panel, VW dealer says it is because of catalytic convertor that needs to be replaced (cost $2600) as the convertor is out of warranty. Car has no problem in running, good pick up but engine is slightly noisy at ideal. Is the trouble serious enough to go for this replacement given that the car is currently valued at $7,000?

JeffB

My Jetta is a diesel with a DPF filter. I have to use special engine oil to not clog the filter. I have zero problem with the filter. With Petrol engine and a catalytic convertor, you too have to use the right engine oil or it will clog the Catalytic filter eventually. I would not use any engine additive either. Perhaps the car has been serviced with an incorrect engine Oil? If the warning is on, then it is worth getting a new Convertor as it will give you better fuel economy and the car will run better. Check out the engine oil the service people have used, sounds like they have used the wrong engine oil?? 48K, there is no way the Catalytic convertor would fail unless wrong oil has been used I would think.

Thanks Jeff

brian

The Volkswagen cars are usually manufactured to quality standards so yeah I dare say it is worth it to get the problem repaired

Dejan

I had same problem , but after replacing car battery warning light was gone .Weak battery was causing exhaust warning light to come on

Owen
Owen · Jetta

I have a VW Jetta 118Kw DSG TSI 2010 model, has done 80,000kms and is 40 months old. About 5 months ago the car started using a lot more fuel. Around 1.5 ltrs / 100kms more than its historical useage. Servicing dealer has had 3 goes trying to fix it without success. Has anyone experienced this problem with this engine / model?

JeffB

There are several factors that affect fuel economy . Tyre alignment and tyre pressure. Easy stuff to adjust. I run my tyres (Michelin Economys) at 38 kpi, harder than normally recommended but I get more distance and economy from my tyres. Another is fuel, don't know if you are using normal unleaded or premium but try 98 octane for two reasons, it contains a cleaner to clean your fuel system and it has more energy for better driving and better fuel economy. Yes costs more per litre but extra distance between fills = line ball cost per kilometre. Its worth the investment. Also are you accumulating stuff in the boot and adding weight to the car?

Brian
Brian · Jetta

Any gearbox problems with June 2012 jetta TDI?

JeffB

No problems with my Jetta. It is a 2008 build from Mexico. Took a bit of getting used to when new, doesnt like stop start slow traffic too much, as it searches for the best gear. But in normal driving its perfect.

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Select a listing for your question
Volkswagen Jetta