5Volkswagen Jetta

77% · 509 · 14%

Dev
DevBrisbane, Queensland4 posts
  1B

Great car! Love driving it!

Had the car 147TSI for over 6 months, its been great, except for some minor rattles that developed in the driver door. Love the exterior design, very simple and elegant. Fuel consumption has been average, been getting around 9.3l/100km from mixed driving, though I tend to hit the accelerator quite hard. Love that turbo push when it kicks in.
Exterior design, 147 TSI powerful engine, really nice material on the steering wheel, easy to use RCD510 unit.
Rattles when going over rough roads especially when its hot out, firmish ride, touchy brakes. Show details
JeffB
JeffBSouth East Queensland, QLD7 posts

2010 Jetta TDI

Mine has done 107,000kms without a hiccup. I get it serviced at 15,000 intervals with Mobil 1 ESP. Brakes are amazing. With the DSG I use sport to start from stationary then slip it into normal drive. I consisently get 1000kms per 50L. DSG isn't at its best in stop start so I use manual setting for that and it works way better. I have Michelin Energy tyres and get about 70,000 per set. Mega boot with handy hanging hook to secure grocery bag.
Economy, safety and reliability. Service costs fair.
No bluetooth for phone or iPod, it's a $2000 option!! Show details
Graeme1938
Graeme1938Sydney, NSW2 posts
dprass
dprassMelb.2 posts
  1B

Good value

My old car was just written off so I just purchased a new Volkswagen Jetta, I feel for the $ spent it's great value. My wife loves the look and in particular the interior. Would have given full marks if they threw in a little extra, I'm being a hard marker now.
Good value
dij123Great Southern, WA25 posts
Phil S
Phil SAustralia16 posts
  1KM

This is easily the nicest car I have ever owned. I drive long distances frequently and it is not a struggle or as draining as it has been in other cars I have owned. I have always got over 1000kms from a (55L) tank.
Diesel economy is amazing. So many standard features. parking sensors, auto headlights, auto wipers. Huge boot. Quiet inside on the highway. Stereo sounds great.
Has an annoying rattle in the centre console near the hazard light switch. Will need to dismantle to get at it. Having to use smelly slippery diesel pumps at servos (keep a pack of disposable latex gloves handy).
Oldfella
Oldfella8 posts
  1KM

Good

I find the Jetta Diesel DSG to be a pretty good car inspite of the above Cons. For the money you get a lot of safety features, curtain air bags, air bags in front seatside, ESC, tyre pressure indicators, anti skid braking. All that and great fuel economy on the highway 19.23 km/litre; around the town 15.38 km/litre.
Excellent fuel economy. Plenty of power. Great handling. Cannot fault build quality. Excellent boot capacity. Would recommend to any new car buyer.
Fairly harsh ride. Seats could be softer and more comfortable. Greater suspension travel would be an improvement. Computer sometimes gets confused and will not recognize the key (will not start). Occasional stalling problem can be annoying. Show details
EA0859
EA085920 posts
Tigers84
Tigers84Sydney3 posts
a20576569
a205765692 posts
  1KM

Should have bought one of these great cars when they first hit the market, however now very glad we have it. Living 30+ kms out of Albury NSW it gets a lot of highway use. Bought it in Sydney sight unseen but now have it cared for by local dealer in Wodonga. Could not be happier with it. The brownie points fro the early christmas present went well too!
Bought the wife a new Jetta TDI, DSG last November, now done 45k absolutely trouble free. Averages 5.5 L/100k. Huge boot space. Performance plus and great handling specially after a Landcruiser. Great safety features.
Being a little on the large size the seats are a bit small. Fixed the hard ride by fitting Toyo tyres (lot cheaper than the Conti's). Show details
critique
critique
Macwife
MacwifeSydney9 posts
lucky4some
lucky4some38 posts
  1KM

So much fun to drive! It's a pity it is unreliable

I loved my Jetta until she let me down six months out of warranty with a failed turbo costing $4500 to replace with a week wait for parts out of Singapore. Until that point I was smitten - the Jetta was sporty and fun to drive. When she started spraying oil out of the exhaust and the mechanic found oil right through the air intake system causing her to misfire and chug, the love affair was over.
Fun and sporty to drive. Awesome sound system. Comfortable leather seats.
Epic fail - turbo failed. Weak air conditioner - not suitable for Queensland. Show details
Sedans

Find out how Volkswagen Jetta compares to other Sedans

Family_dude
Family_dude
  1KM

Good

Base model 2.0 petrol Jetta with 6 speed manual. Really happy with it. Sometimes feel it's a bit underpowered until I drive other cars and appreciate the overall balance of power and economy of mine. Love the features and handling even though its only the base model. Had a few problems: electric window switched dropped into the door, alarm kept dinging telling me I had my handbrake on when I didn't, manual box kept "crunching" when changing into 2nd gear and air con stopped near the end of it's three year warranty. All fixed free of charge and quickly too. Not looking forward to getting rid of it but must do as I have six in the family.
Looks, handling, size, features.
 Show details
vdubrodw
vdubrodwAU2 posts

OK

Great car overall, love the power of the 147TSI. DSG was disappointing. Auto wipers and headlights are a great addition to the car. Build quality really good.
Engine power, comfort, handling, build quality.
No manual option for 147TSI. Faulty dsg replaced before 3 yrs old. Show details
rickstar62
rickstar623 posts
  1KM

Good

The best vale for money car that I know. Right up there with their VW cousins, BMW and Audi. Even considering the expensive servicing would purchase another Jetta or VW
Excellent features, for the price, seats, leather, sunroof, lights and wipers. Very good on fuel economy. Drives well around town.
Expensive parts; brakes, air filter etc. Come costly servicing especially at 100km. Uses 98ron fuel which is never discounted. Limited legroom for people who are six foot tall.
adamg
adamg3 posts
  1KM

This is the family car and with two little kids we still find it roomy enough. Good fuel economy if driven lightly. No issues with reliability and its done 75000kms.
Love the extra touches of european cars, like head auto head lights and wipers also interior is simple but classy unlike some of the Japanese cars. Built well. Very smooth and quick 2.0TFSI
Ride is a bit harsh but thats my fault it rides on 18 inch wheels.
virusfreak79
virusfreak7933 posts

LOVE IT TO BITS!

Would recommend it to everybody. It exceeded all of my expectations. Considering buying another VW now, possibly a Passat caravan.
There is so much I love about the Jetta, I could write about it all day. It is absolutely packed with excellent features and they all come as standard (sensor light, wipers, parking sensors, chiller compartment, sunglasses holder, curtain air bags etc). I love the hooks they put in the booth for shopping bags. Very spacious car and a pure heaven to drive. Fantastic fuel economy (TDI model). Worth waiting for 10 weeks to arrive from Europe.
The only con that I found since we bought the car is that the sunglasses compartment is too small. That is the ONLY thing! Show details

Fernando
Fernando3 posts
  1KM

Being an admirer of the german technical engineering, I was very disappointed when noise (at 50.000km) developed in the gear box. As my guarantee expires in September this year, I wasted no time in having it checked. End result, they replaced the gearbox... I have been very lucky...! When asked what will happen if, say, 4 or 5 months (after the guarantee expires) the gear box fails again... Well I will have to pay for the repair... I also read on the latest NRMA magazine that the VW DSG gear box suffers from "hicups"... I hope I'm lucky... but I sill like this car.
The model: Jetta 2.0 Turbo FSI - Excellent performance, very well appointed and lots of extras!
Apart from the gearbox problem, no "CONS" Show details
Freman5x0
Freman5x03 posts
  1KM

My 6th VW so far, and probably the best. An outstanding vehicle, and for some reason here in Australia, one that has some uniqueness, as it doesn't seem hugely popular. It has easily the best transmission I've ever encountered in a vehicle (DSG), and the fuel consumption is brilliant. The standard equipment is way above the norm for a car this price. This feels very like a Mercedes C220, but is way cheaper
Oustanding value for money, extremely well equipped, brilliant fuel consumption, great build quality
Very hard suspension Show details
wisebuyer
wisebuyerAU5 posts
  1KM

Good

A great car, looks fantastic, only a few niggling probs which Werribee VW have fixed no questions asked. The car is still on its first set of tyres !!
A great car, very well built, ours is now 3 years old and done 85000 k's, Team at Werribee VW are fantastic.
Auto hunts a bit (ours the std petrol model) The DSG from Diesel or turbo model would be better. AM radio reception not very good. Show details
scott_tanya
scott_tanya2 posts
  1KM

Bought a new 08 Turbo petrol (basically a Golf GTI with a boot). Heaps of space with a bubby and great performance. Great fuel economy. Superb gearbox. Would buy again and again at this price level when you look at the competition.
Build quality, ride, handling, engine, gearbox, interior
 Show details